Lutz Jaitner - plasmoid research and LENR

• Alan Smith

I deleted the comment because it didn't feel opportune to add unnecessary requests and observations before you were finished with your setup, but I was basically wondering if limiting current with a ballast resistor would yield different results on the glow discharge compared to letting the power supply do the job by presumably automatically lowering input voltage. Depending on dissipated power and test duration of course one would have then to deal with the heat produced at the ballast resistor.

In some papers focused on atmospheric glow discharges that I've read, current-limiting resistors were used while the power supply employed was still operating in constant-current mode (or at least capable of operating in that way).

• A little progress today, despite other pressing matters I machined a trial stainless steel hemispherical anode. The white things on the anode stem are ceramic insulation beads.

The hemispherical anode has now reminded me of a series of videos that I only partially watched many years ago. I'll be taking another look at them!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• an improvement :): trap a ceramic ball between the 2 electrodes.

Thus plasma will concentrated only where he have to, at outside layers where kinetic energy will be highest.

The hemispherical anode has now reminded me of a series of videos that I only partially watched many years ago. I'll be taking another look at them!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Depending on available power, size/mass of the ceramic ball and if it's in contact with the cathode (itself extending the cathode), it might heat up to temperatures where thermionic emission starts increasing rapidly and become electrically conductive, which should affect the expected behavior on the plasma reaction.

Under such conditions the starting ceramic material might not even have to be a ball as its temperature may increase in a positive feedback loop and possibly exceed its melting point.

It will be interesting to see if among the tests you're planning eventually you will be able to reproduce an effect similar to what I observed some time ago, using a 800V voltage source in the atmosphere. In a vacuum (and possibly residual gases other than air) and with a more powerful, current-controlled power supply like yours, on paper it should be easily reproducible.

• Wrong, thermionic emitters need potential difference to run.

Here even if by plasma temperature some electrons will leave, quickly they will do back the same travel in opposite direction to keep a global neutral level.

• Official Post

The hemispherical anode has now reminded me of a series of videos that I only partially watched many years ago.

I like some of David laPoint's ideas and experiments, but when he starts talking about 'visions that came in a dream' and 'not allowed to tell you (what they are) yet' as he does in his 'overunity' video it raises my sceptic hackles.

• Official Post

An O toroid wound from self-supporting stiff wire was my first thought. Can be anode or cathode. In this instance I was thinking of the cathode, but it can be run either way- swapping polarity on the PSU is trivial. I'm not sure that it matters if it is shorted or not btw, effectively it is a device for retaining a magnetic field while the electrostatic field is extended in the direction of the other pole. I am very happy btw to take suggestions on further mods to the system, when I have kicked it into life. Say a small prayer that the PSU does the business - it wasn't cheap, but it is not brand new and is as yet not fully tested with a load.

ETA - nickec - what are your thoughts on handed-ness?

• More progress on the plasma reactor today. The electrodes on the insulated copper bus-bars are in place, though the anode is not yet made - anode and cathode are designed to be adjustable and swappable without too much fuss. The (sometimes) flat copper cathode ends up parallel with the bench-top -meaning that powders or anything could be placed upon it. I don't have a spare Baratron vacuum gauge to hand for this, or the budget for one, so having to make do with an old analogue unit.. The third picture shows the stainless steel capillary tube for the gas inlet - using a fine tube like this means that gas flow is more controllable.

Vacuum testing can start in earnest soon. :)

Congrats! This is the stuff that exited me, plasma and powder based setups seem to have higher energetic potencials. Was wondering why the hydrogen outlet isn't as close to the intended reaction site as possible? Do you intend to regularly pressurise the chamber with H2/D2 to somewhat load the electrodes or whatever powder you place inside? Pray all the best for your experiment and for informing results.

Edit: Just realised that if particular (picochemical) theories hold true you wouldn't want stainless steel in the reaction site unless you intend to react it. Affected metals tend to melt, "atomise" and have strange electromagnetic effects in overly successful reactions. This though would be desired if it did happen.

• More progress on the plasma reactor today. The electrodes on the insulated copper bus-bars are in place, though the anode is not yet made - anode and cathode are designed to be adjustable and swappable without too much fuss. The (sometimes) flat copper cathode ends up parallel with the bench-top -meaning that powders or anything could be placed upon it. I don't have a spare Baratron vacuum gauge to hand for this, or the budget for one, so having to make do with an old analogue unit.. The third picture shows the stainless steel capillary tube for the gas inlet - using a fine tube like this means that gas flow is more controllable

How are you sealing the electrode/gas pass-thrus? That seems to be the tricky part of the setup.

I experimented with an inexpensive EMCO F30 DC/DC 3 kv module a few years back. It worked OK to light a Hydrogen plasma lamp but that needed only 1 ma or so.

• Official Post

Simple methods (I hope).

All the feed throughs go through the 25mm Lexan baseplate except for the one at the neck end of the jar, which goes through an epoxy-saturated cork. Rubber would have been better, but I couldn't find one that was right. The method I am trying (good so far) is to drill a tight-fitting hole for the copper bus-bars right through the baseplate and then counterbore it on the outside - this makes a little well all around the entry point. Then I put some vacuum brease on the copper bar and slide it into place, then de-grease everything and fill the well with epoxy resin.

Fingers crossed!

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.