The church of SM physics

• Can beams of light experience "interference" in an experiment without matter being involved (except at the source of emission of the light and at the detector)?

I don't think so. Because of this I think Mills has it right.

Yes. It's called gamma-gamma pair production. Light interacts with light. I wrote an article about it: http://physicsdetective.com/how-pair-production-works/

Quote from Mark U

Well, tell me where light on light interference occurs in the absence of matter.

In the dual slit experiment.

• When and why do electrons have a mass?

At all times. Because electron mass is resistance to change-in-motion for a wave going round and round at c.

The question is which part of any particle acquire mass under what concrete binding relation. The electron mediates gravitation as a consequence a (small) part of it has no gravitational mass. The question is only important for experiments where people e.g. do measure elements weight with a balance! (e.g. a big bottle with 4-He).

• Yes. It's called gamma-gamma pair production. Light interacts with light. I wrote an article about it: http://physicsdetective.com/how-pair-production-works/

OK. But this pair production happens in matter - which can recoil - so there is conservation of momentum.

The dual slit experiment of course requires material slits.

I've done more reading, and I must alter my view somewhat. There is some evidence that there can be very small photon on photon interaction:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-photon_physics

Needless to say, this photon - photon interaction is not close to the strength of the photon - matter interaction which produces the bands in the double slit experiment.

• Hi,

I'm the author of the paper. First of all I would like to thank you for your comments, all criticisms are welcome. I am sorry for the delay in answering, but I have had problems registering in the forum.

The entire history of QED is extremely suspicious. My accusations are many and very serious. I cannot prove them all, but at least I make two explicit accusations very easy to verify:

a) Both the original Kroll & Karplus calculation and the Petermann correction of the Feynman diagram IIc are secret.

b) The calculation of the 17,8 Ry Bethe's fudge factor is also secret.

I hope someone is able to prove me wrong. At first glance it seems like a simple task.

• The calculation of the 17,8 Ry

Thanks Oliver..I appreciate your elan and thoroughness

Here is an oid testimony from Hans

But no mention of 17.8

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Also a positiive spin....https://www.ias.ac.in/public/Volumes/reso/010/10/0033-0048.pdf

But no mention of 17.8

"

or a historical perspective on how Bethe zoomed in
    (like a homing pigeon) on a non-relativistic treatment,
    the interested reader is referred to Dyson's narrative [2]
    on how Bethe's previous training and experience led him
    to the right answer, without being led astray by irrelevant details!

But perhaps time spent on better .. more predictive models is more useful

Check your email

QED has little predictive use since 1947 ..lets support better models

Let old dogs rest

• No Mark, the photon-photon interaction is really strong. It's the interaction that makes an electron stay an electron. It;s also the interaction that makes a proton stay a proton. We have good scientific evidence that the electron is a photon interacting with itself, and so is the proton:

annihilation2.gif

Annihilation images from CSIRO Australia Telescope National Facility

See Louis de Broglie;s 1923 letter on waves and quanta published in Nature. That’s where he said “the wave is tuned with the length of the closed path”. The electron is just a light wave in a closed path. So is the proton. That's why it's the wave nature of matter. And that's why light interacts with matter. Because it's really light interacting with light.

• Hi Oliver. I think your paper is great. It is forensic physics at its finest. I'm doing a physics detective article on it. You will like it.

• The question is which part of any particle acquire mass under what concrete binding relation. The electron mediates gravitation as a consequence a (small) part of it has no gravitational mass. The question is only important for experiments where people e.g. do measure elements weight with a balance! (e.g. a big bottle with 4-He).

Sorry Wyttenbach, I don't know what you mean here.

But can I offer this: a 511keV photon has no rest mass because it isn't at rest. But if it's interacting with itself it goes round and round in a closed path, then it's effectively at rest. Like the photon in the mirror-box which adds mass to the system. Only there is no box. The photon is trapped in a box of its own making, because displacement current does what it says on the tin. Only we don't call it a photon any more. We call it an electron.

• But can I offer this: a 511keV photon has no rest mass because it isn't at rest. But if it's interacting with itself it goes round and round in a closed path, then it's effectively at rest.

The electron has a (1x1)x(0.5x0,5) wave structure what is 3 occupied one hybrid split wave orbits or as Mills would say two photons with one additional locked in. In dense mass we also do call the third wave virtual mass as its the glue (charge related mass) that bends the two original waves. The 3D,t 10 digits exact g-factor calculation is given by Mills chapt. 1 starting at (1.163).

magnetic mass (flux) of course is never at rest. The only thing that may happen is that its envelope stays at a fix point in space. For an electron to get bound it must go into resonance with nuclear flux what is classically interpreted as a potential. This, potential, is a first order approximation only and did lead to a Kindergarden physics model called SM - QED/LQCD etc..

But: What I was questioning is: Which mass parts do follow gravitation and to what extent. Gravitation is the electro weak residual force of the 5 rotation strong force coupling and it is only outside a particle a "homogenous" force!

• Yes. It's called gamma-gamma pair production. Light interacts with light. I wrote an article about it: http://physicsdetective.com/how-pair-production-works/

Mills says that two oppositely circular polarized photons (w/ at least 511keV) superimpose to strike a proton. This results - in his theory - for a volume of space creating the "transition state orbitosphere" where matter and energy are indistinguishable -- space is ringing at its resonant frequency -- interestingly the TSO is made a R= 1/alpha *a0 (bohr radius) . This goes on to make a free electron and positron.

Thus, via the proton collision the linear momentum of the photons is conserved. What do you make of this? Do you have evidence that matter is not involved?

And you say that photons interfere with themeselves, but what do you make of Mills argument that "photons cannot be created or destroyed by superimposing. If this were true, it would be possible to cool a room with illumination. Constructive and deconstructive interference violatest the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics."

• The electron has a (1x1)x(0.5x0,5) wave structure what is 3 occupied one hybrid split wave orbits or as Mills would say two photons with one additional locked in. In dense mass we also do call the third wave virtual mass as its the glue (charge related mass) that bends the two original waves. The 3D,t 10 digits exact g-factor calculation is given by Mills chapt. 1 starting at (1.163).

I'm sorry Wyttenback, but the evidence says it's one wave in a double loop. That's why the electron is a spin ½ particle with a g-factor of 2.002319. In electron-positron annihilation we typically see two 511keV gamma photons.

magnetic mass (flux) of course is never at rest. The only thing that may happen is that its envelope stays at a fix point in space. For an electron to get bound it must go into resonance with nuclear flux what is classically interpreted as a potential. This, potential, is a first order approximation only and did lead to a Kindergarden physics model called SM - QED/LQCD etc..

I think the nuclear force is electromagnetic. Bernard Schaeffer has been saying it for years, and I think he's right. I think tThe force that binds a 511keV photon to form it into an electron is electromagnetic too. The question you should ask yourself is this: where does the strong force go in low-energy proton-antiproton annihilation to gamma photons? I don't think it disappears, it's still there in the photons, but we don't recognise it as such.

But: What I was questioning is: Which mass parts do follow gravitation and to what extent. Gravitation is the electro weak residual force of the 5 rotation strong force coupling and it is only outside a particle a "homogenous" force!

5-rotation strong force coupling? That doesn't sound right. Something as simple as a photon is a concentration of energy, and thus is has a gravitational field. I see it as something like this.

• And you say that photons interfere with themeselves, but what do you make of Mills argument that "photons cannot be created or destroyed by superimposing. If this were true, it would be possible to cool a room with illumination. Constructive and deconstructive interference violatest the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics."

Photons are pure EM mass as all mass is EM mass = energy and cannot not be destroyed. Photons can super impose and form a "heavier" photon, out of phase photons do not notice the counter part. The latest experiments do show an asymmetry in the pair production process, what is expected if you go to SO(4) as there is always an orthogonal interaction too.

Mills interpretation is correct in the low energy limit. If a gamma photon enters the SO(4) orbit the energy gets added to two rotations what needs a scaling by the Mills gamma factor. Whether the added flux has a positive or negative winding (e+/e-) depends on the encountered topology of a nucleus. Either the added gamma flux virtually annihilates the international charge of a nucleus what produces a mirrored opposite charge or it increases the charge what produces the same reaction by the compensating internal charge with an increased charge. In both (rare) cases finally an e+ & e- is produced because charge is quantized. In reality most of the time only one or no charge is ejected (beta+- decay) and the remaining gamma energy is fractionated.

But at higher energies the picture is quite different.

• Mills says that two oppositely circular polarized photons (w/ at least 511keV) superimpose to strike a proton. This results - in his theory - for a volume of space creating the "transition state orbitosphere" where matter and energy are indistinguishable -- space is ringing at its resonant frequency -- interestingly the TSO is made a R= 1/alpha *a0 (bohr radius) . This goes on to make a free electron and positron. Thus, via the proton collision the linear momentum of the photons is conserved. What do you make of this?

It sounds rather exotic and rather odd to me, Navid. Sorry. A transition state orbitosphere is not something I'm familiar with. As far as I know matter is what we call it when energy moves in a closed path. That's all. That's what de Broglie and Schrodinger talked about. And David Bohm.

Do you have evidence that matter is not involved?

Matter is not involved in gamma-gamma pair production. It's called the Breit-Wheeler process. See Kirk McDonald's website which refers to the 1998 PhysicsToday article gamma rays create matter just by plowing into laser light:

Boom.jpg

Image by Gil Eisner from the November 1997 issue of Photonics Spectra above a brief note about the SLAC experiment

And you say that photons interfere with themeselves, but what do you make of Mills argument that "photons cannot be created or destroyed by superimposing. If this were true, it would be possible to cool a room with illumination. Constructive and deconstructive interference violates the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics."

He's perhaps talking about out-of-phase photons. If you combine a bunch of out-of-phase photons you aren't left with nothing, you end up with something like this:

gravityducksinarow-scaled.gif

That apart, gamma-gamma pair production is real. Two 511keV photons interact to become an electron and a positron. The opposite process is annihilation. Energy is converted to matter and vice versa.

• It sounds rather exotic and rather odd to me, Navid. Sorry. A transition state orbitosphere is not something I'm familiar with. As far as I know matter is what we call it when energy moves in a closed path. That's all. That's what de Broglie and Schrodinger talked about. And David Bohm.

Matter is not involved in gamma-gamma pair production. It's called the Breit-Wheeler process. See Kirk McDonald's website which refers to the 1998 PhysicsToday article gamma rays create matter just by plowing into laser light:

Boom.jpg

The TSO is a closed path. So it meets your criteria. It's an odd concept because you've never learned about it - but its not advanced math its a physical model.

Looking into McDonald in 2018 he said this:

This experiment has never been repeated, and we welcome future efforts to confirm and extend our results.

As for the Breit-Wheeler process, this seems to be the case.

Although the pure photon–photon Breit–Wheeler process was one of the first sources of pairs to be described, its experimental validation has yet to be accomplished.

I don't know enough about QED or experimental physics to really understand how plausible this is and what flaws they might be here.

However, by conservation of energy and momentum the statement that this is plausible seems weak. How do you answer this? How do photons annihilate, the energy part makes sense, but where does the lost momentum go? This doesn't add up.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I have noticed that even though trace nuclear events occur, more transmutations happen in some experiments than can be accounted for by excess energy out or the radiation/particles released. And it makes sense cause these nuclear reactions are supposed to take a lot more energy to occure.

I propose that what Mills explains is very close to the truth, but what Dufours and colleagues have shown that shrunken bonds could release energy for metal pico-hydride reactions too. This combination, two manifestation fit a larger swath of data. I would also perpose that lower states aren't as stable for single H atoms, the extended nuclear fields hold the nucleon of the other atom in a balance with pushing forces. So either an H2*or H/D*+ transition metal.

DufourJhydrogentr.pdf

1995Dufour-MeasurementOfExcessEnergy.pdf

• The TSO is a closed path. So it meets your criteria. It's an odd concept because you've never learned about it - but its not advanced math its a physical model.

OK noted.

Looking into McDonald in 2018 he said this: This experiment has never been repeated, and we welcome future efforts to confirm and extend our results.

That was the impure Breit-Wheeler process that involved gamma photons and laser light. See https://www.imperial.ac.uk/new…y-turn-light-into-matter/ for something more recent.

As for the Breit-Wheeler process, this seems to be the case. Although the pure photon–photon Breit–Wheeler process was one of the first sources of pairs to be described, its experimental validation has yet to be accomplished. I don't know enough about QED or experimental physics to really understand how plausible this is and what flaws they might be here.

Yes you do. You know about electron-positron annihilation to gamma photons. Gamma-gamma pair production is the reverse process.

However, by conservation of energy and momentum the statement that this is plausible seems weak. How do you answer this? How do photons annihilate, the energy part makes sense, but where does the lost momentum go? This doesn't add up.

The photons don't annihilate. The electron and the positron annihilate. When they do energy and momentum are conserved. The same is true for the reverse operation. Conservation of energy and momentum always applies. That's why a single photon can't turn into an electron and a positron. You need matter for pair production from one photon. But not from two.

By the way, that video looks wrong. Electron positron annihilation results in two (or more) photons, not one.

• Truth really it's a two way street. photons can condense to electron/positron and the same can annialate to pairs again. Navid Yes, photons can't decay, conservation of energy and momentum stands.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.