The church of SM physics

• It is said so...Taken at 380C...

I had in mind that you may have taken several samples at 380C.

I am trying to understand your manuscript. You will encounter the same type of questions from anyone trying to seriously understand it because some things are not clearly stated.

What about the rest of the results in the manuscript, how many separate spectral samples were used to generate your results?

• the specific findings

Specific findings

1.The isotopes most commonly showing up above background

are 8 lanthanides plus Pd/Ag plus Te plus W/Rh

Notice the majority are odd isotopes..

To sort out which elements are most effective

I would go for Hi/Lo Pd Ag samarium gadolinium erbium thulium tungsten rhodium in mixtures

plus various combinations

..many of these have been used in other LENR R&D

2. de Novo isotopes/elements

Sm151... Indium Promethium? Cadmium(Cd111,Cd113) Cerium Lead?

19370-pasted-from-clipboard-png

• Once more this is a delta spectrum modified by the Theremino parameters for nearby bucket contributions.

This was referring to Figure 1 of the manuscript you have recently posted on ResearchGate. I grasp what you are saying. But what what is the nature of the modification? What Theremino parameter settings did you use?

• If you have any scientific question then ask it. I have not much time left for small talk ...

I am still trying to understand the nature of the data you have presented in your manuscript. All my questions have been technical in nature and cover items that are, so far, unexplained by you in the text. This is not small talk. Some of the problems that I have mentioned appear to me to challenge the scientific value of your procedures, so you might as well clear them up now.

The reason I have asked most recently about the way your data have been modified for your Figure 1 is that it looks to me as though the peaks and valleys of the spectra in your Figure 1 are sharper and narrower than would normally be consistent with the sort of NaI crystal you have used for detecting gamma radiation. I was wondering if this is something that is actually seen in the data output of the MCA or if this is a result of the modification involving neighbouring bin values that you mention. What sort of modification is it?

• Once some channels of interest are identified, the next step is to find, buy, or build a detector that is optimized for strong resolution of one or perhaps a couple of the strongest channel signals.

I think that Wyttenbach mentioned a couple of pages back that he has already obtained a better detector and that he hoped to perform experiments with fuels that produce fewer lines.

That would all be great! I am dubious, however, that such experiments would go ahead without Russ George on site and I haven't heard that he plans on that.

• the gamma spectrum could be extended to the above 300 eV and below 2o eV..side..

more isotopes may show up,,

You want less, not more channels. But with more discrimination and ideally in an area with surrounding noise floor reduced.

Why process 100 channels if it is not necessary? Pick two, prove them, add a couple more and prove them, and so on.

• You want less, not more channels. But with more discrimination and ideally in an area with surrounding noise floor reduced.

Why process 100 channels if it is not necessary? Pick two, prove them, add a couple more and prove them, and so on.

Hi- seems to me that the fewer channels the less discrimination you get, and of course improving the signal to noise ratio demands better discrimination. The nature of gamma spectroscopy is such that you cannot really 'pick and prove ' a channel or two in isolation -for it can only be regarded as significat when compared to the whole.

• if it is not necessary

Says who? the gammaspec guy?...you really do need to read the text

"The “cheap” NaI spectrometer setup ( gamma spectacular + Theremino software) we used, could be very well calibrated in the range of 20..300keV"

"To identify a single line the nearest bucket line +-300V has been exclusively used. This sometimes (just a few cases) results in two bucket hits in case we have 600eV space buckets. It is also a more hard condition for lines above 300keV where the Theremino bucket spacing did increase to 900eV. A more serious problem are lines above 500keV as the precision of the sensor can slightly vary with temperature."

There are also a few K alpha lines of interest around 20 Kev....Rhodium also

HPGe offers much better resolution than NaI

Zr 15690.645(50) 15774.914(54)
    46Pd21020.15(22)21177.08(17)
    47Ag21990.30(10)22162.917(30)
    48Cd22984.05(20)

• Hi- seems to me that the fewer channels the less discrimination you get, and of course improving the signal to noise ratio demands better discrimination. The nature of gamma spectroscopy is such that you cannot really 'pick and prove ' a channel or two in isolation -for it can only be regarded as significat when compared to the whole.

I said this wrong. One may choose a signal, which I called a channel.

There may be enormous numbers of channels and gratings or whatever.

The K40 signal, for example, can be resolved very well by a detector made to do that. Enough for a handheld spectrometer to read out probable percent K205 in a rock in a minute, (plus uranium and thorium in ppm). Powered by 4xAA batteries! <and cost $10000>.

Choose the most significant signals and zero in on them with something designed to see them better. The other signals will still be there in the data.

Ed: And you probably are anyways.
    Analysis of hundreds of signals seems overly complex. That’s what grad students are for.

• That’s what grad students are for.

Or software. The text reads

"As a consequence we had to develop a new analyzing method that could deal with broad range/ large number (> 300) of different lines above background. Doing this manually is possible for a single spectrum and some key lines, but for hundreds (spectra & lines) we had to develop new software."

"As our experiments did show, LENR reactions can be strongly temperature dependent as the downscaling of fusion excess energy finally depends on the terminal coupling with a matching phonon state. So some of the lines we track below are spread over different spectra and temperatures where these are significantly elevated. We most of the time only show the most active single path. For a complete picture one should write more deep exploring software that integrates over all possible decay paths."

The work is still exploratory....as the results were unexpected

Kshells...extinct isotope revived...de novo elements...indium cadmium without a supernova....

and the there is the questions of the oxides... and H*H* formation etc

too early to narrow down anything..

• Wyttenbach

What is the spectral resolution of the detector you used? And how does this interact with the filtering algorithm you used for locating spectral peaks?

I would have thought that the Full Width Half Max at 100 keV would be 10 keV or more, which is about 16 energy bins in your setup. But this means that gamma rays at a given energy could contribute substantially to bin counts across a range of energies. So wouldn't your line-finding algorithm then be susceptible to finding false positives across this range?

One way to examine this experimentally would be to run your algorithm on a spectrum from a known isotope and see if it gives you lines that you know shouldn't be there.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.