Open-air hot powder cell—costs and planning

• Alan Smith

A.J.Groszek and E.Lalik saw brief pulses of excess heating rate (measured with microcalorimeters) when recombining H2-O2 over typical catalysts, but only after after the catalysts absorbed hydrogen, which is similar in a way to what R.Mills of BLP also claims (i.e. the process of H2-O2 recombination can cause hydrogen atoms other than those involved in the process to transition to a dense state/Hydrino). My guess is that by simply recombining H2-O2 continuously in stoichiometric amounts over the surface of typical catalysts only the expected heat of formation of water will be observed, and that different or unusual conditions than normal will be needed for possibly observing anomalous heating effects.

As for the heating setup design, after playing a bit with the useful coil calculator linked by Paradigmnoia earlier, it looks like I could use AWG 20 Kanthal A-1 wire, but I would need a good 36V DC power supply capable of continuously delivering about 8A.

To use AWG 23 wire with AC on the other hand I would need to make sure that cheap SCR dimmers available online can safely and reliably work at low output levels (I'm not quite sure by the way if they actually output a rectified half-wave AC or still provide "true" AC).

So there are still some unknowns and choices to make here. In any case I tried thinking of more practical details for the possible "quick" setup (which is again not as straightforward as initially assumed).

• Alan Smith

I was actually wondering if 36V DC power supplies like those can work reliably at 80% of their rated maximum load. Larger ones (15A or 20A) exist which would have a larger power reserve margin but are more expensive and less common.

SCR AC dimmers would seem a less expensive choice, but I have sometimes read user comments (e.g. on Amazon) reporting that they don't reliably maintain their setting, which causes appliance power to keep increasing over time. This means that not only determining actual power into the system could become complicated and give false results, but also that if the heating wire is designed to work for example at about 60V (on average) it could potentially draw a few kilowatts at 220V, and that a suitable circuit breaker compatible with SCR-dimmed loads to prevent that and blow something would be also needed. I imagine that regardless of this it would be highly advisable to install one in this case though.

DC power supplies usually already include several built-in safety protections, on the other hand.

EDIT: I do realize I might be dragging this on too much, perhaps this discussion should be better taken elsewhere.

• Official Post

Some years ago I was persuaded (and funded) to do complete comparitive calorimetry on an HHO recombiner based on a car exhaust catalyzer versus just burning the gas. The result was definitely not overunity.

Yes Alan Smith , I remember, I dug out the pages at ECW, I had read the reports back then.

The overunity I was talking about, however, was of a different kind. There are units offered that consume 6 KW of electricity to produce the HHO gas and are sold bundled to a heat radiating array of steel tubes, rated at a thermal output, that if one does the math conversion, amounts to 4x the electric consumption. The guy acknowledges the fact, says he is aware of the anomaly, and also that it can be up to 6x if one cares for that, but that he has to reduce it by mixing a 5% of propane, which he says is absolutely necessary for avoiding the complete disintegration of the heat dissipating pipes in a short while.

• By the way, the idea/project of the thread is on hold because I ended up not getting any update from the seller from whom I was to get the insulating ceramic beads of the size I needed for the heating wire. As the rest of the setup is highly dependent on this aspect and I'm still undecided on others, I haven't purchased anything yet and so no progress has been made.

• Official Post

By the way, the idea/project of the thread is on hold because I ended up not getting any update from the seller from whom I was to get the insulating ceramic beads of the size I needed for the heating wire. As the rest of the setup is highly dependent on this aspect and I'm still undecided on others, I haven't purchased anything yet and so no progress has been made.

thanks for the update can , I know doing experiments takes a lot of planning and sourcing, much more is one is doing everything with low budget and limited resources. Hopefully you will hear from the vendor soon.

• Curbina

These delays are also highly effective in cooling down the initial enthusiasm I had for the tests, so I might eventually decide to wait some more and give them more thought before proceeding further. For example, a possibility that I have been suggested recently which I didn't consider before is using (intermittently) induction heating, which perhaps could be done with an iron or carbon steel rod in the center, protected from corrosion by a layer of stainless steel; however that might in turn bring out problems of other nature (e.g. what about thermocouples?).

Also, since the induction coil will need active cooling, things could become more expensive and complex, but on the other hand that could possibly also work as a calorimetry system.

• Official Post

Curbina

These delays are also highly effective in cooling down the initial enthusiasm I had for the tests, so I might eventually decide to wait some more and give them more thought before proceeding further. For example, a possibility that I have been suggested recently which I didn't consider before is using (intermittently) induction heating, which perhaps could be done with an iron or carbon steel rod in the center, protected from corrosion by a layer of stainless steel; however that might in turn bring out problems of other nature (e.g. what about thermocouples?).

Also, since the induction coil will need active cooling, things could become more expensive and complex, but on the other hand that could possibly also work as a calorimetry system.

Ok, this is true indeed, delays between inspiration and execution can serve to completely rethink the whole endeavor looking for improvements. Sometimes it leads to overthinking, tho.

• Ok, this is true indeed, delays between inspiration and execution can serve to completely rethink the whole endeavor looking for improvements. Sometimes it leads to overthinking, tho.

Since I'm spending my own funds, it's mainly a matter of what could be measured and how reliably (i.e. if the experiment makes sense doing, in the end), and if the equipment and materials purchased would also be useful for something else. Not doing anything due to overthinking may also lead to substantial economic savings.

• Official Post

Since I'm spending my own funds, it's mainly a matter of what could be measured and how reliably (i.e. if the experiment makes sense doing, in the end), and if the equipment and materials purchased would also be useful for something else. Not doing anything due to overthinking may also lead to substantial economic savings.

totally agree, the comment about overthinking was mainly aimed at myself, because I’m stuck with an experiment idea for months and still don’t decide the final design. In the end is settling for the best one can do with what is available.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.