The NEDO Initiative - Japan's Cold Fusion Programme

• suggest what they are referring to is gas turbulence from local heating of gases close to these hotspots flowing towards TC 4

an interesting calculation would be how much energy change is represented in the oscillations.

versus the amount of introduced H/D

this would need of course extra data/calibration on TC4 or a separate exptal design

The calibration for the whole reactor shows that 1 C delta = ~1 Watt

• Just to get this straight, are the TC4 oscillations postulated to be caused by a reaction elsewhere, or are they postulated to be evidence of the reaction occurring right there causing heat elsewhere?

H*-H* can react with iron or molybdenum as Dufour did show in Asti. If H*-H* sucks out about 500eV to reform H-H then this leads to a strong surface cool down.

Gas inlet does not mean that it is active! Anyway only a few nanogram would be needed to supplement production... Usually heat flows from the hotter part to the cooler and forms a gradient. Only if your name is Ascoli65 and your eyes are behind a curtain of Vodka you may have the imagination that negative heat flows inward....

We also see TC fluctuations in active phases. Nothing special in LENR. But Takahashi sees a spectacular large fluctuation only in the case of an anomalous heat event.

Takahashi was a live long teacher of physics at Tohoku - university , quite popular in Japan - and has over 30 years LENR background. Trolls with primary school background only see their flat screen if....

• H*-H* can react with iron or molybdenum as Dufour did show in Asti.

2017?

this is all I can find

"Jacques Dufour in Paris showed the results he obtained at 1000 ° C with iron and sodium. He thinks that he transformed 0.524 g of the 1.087g of iron at the start into a new element that is an atom with a proton inside the electron cloud of iron. It would be an atom of mass very close to that of cobalt

Any more recent paper from Dufour ?

2007 ? http://www.iscmns.org/asti06/J…ESENTATION%20-%202006.pdf ??

2013? http://www.iscmns.org/CMNS/JCMNS-Vol10.pdf#page=45

• Tohoku is the name for the whole Osaka region

No, Tohoku it is in the northeast. (It means "northeast.") Osaka is the southwest, in the so-called Kansai region.

The research in Kobe is at the Division of Marine Engineering, Graduate School of Maritime Sciences, Kobe University, where Prof. Kitamura used to teach. Takahashi never taught there. See:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/KitamuraAanomalouse.pdf

I don't know what the research it is doing in the Maritime Sci. school, but Kobe is a port city in the Inland Sea, so it is a maritime kind of place. I am glad it is there. Any port in a storm, as they say.

• Tohoku it is in the northeast

Georgia,us is in the area of Tohoku... relative to Sydney,au

The Takahashi team is located in a small area of Hokusei relative to Sydney.au:)

The turbulence question and any potential answers are of interest to them

Akito Takahashi1,2*, Toyoshi Yokose3, Yutaka Mori3, Akira Taniike3, Yuichi Furuyama3, Hiroyuki Ido2, Atsushi Hattori2, Reiko Seto2, Atsushi Kamei2, Joji Hachisuka2

1Prof. Emeritus Osaka University, 2Technova Inc., 3Kobe University

• Tohoku is the name for the whole Osaka region

I believe you said you visited there. Evidently, you did not know what part of Japan you were in. I find that plausible, because on more than one occasion I have boarded the wrong Shinkansen train and gone 100 km in the wrong direction before I realized it. You just get off, put on a nonchalant expression, and go to the other side of the platform, hoping they don't ask to see your ticket. I have done that despite the fact that I can read the signs.

Then again, on a local train from Osaka all the way down to Shimonoseki I could tell approximately where I am even if I were blindfolded, by hearing high school kids chatter in the local dialects. It is like the UK, where every district has a distinct dialect.

Japanese dialects vary by sex; men speak one way, women another. My absolute favorite dialect is the Kyoto women's dialect, because it is . . . erotic. They can talk about the weather or insurance and the words melt in their mouth. Oh that rising intonation! Oh those copulas! ("Do-su" rising, instead of Tokyo standard samurai derived "desu." Ay, yi, yi.) If ever I am blind, disable, agéd and on my last legs, I would like to end my days ensconced in the back of a cheap Kyoto dive, listening to the waitresses chatter.

• H*-H* can react with iron or molybdenum as Dufour did show in Asti. If H*-H* sucks out about 500eV to reform H-H then this leads to a strong surface cool down.

Gas inlet does not mean that it is active! Anyway only a few nanogram would be needed to supplement production... Usually heat flows from the hotter part to the cooler and forms a gradient. Only if your name is Ascoli65and your eyes are behind a curtain of Vodka you may have the imagination that negative heat flows inward....

Read again my interpretation of the down peaks reported by Takahashi et al. (*), please. They can be easily explained by cooling events of the H(D) gas pipe caused by the air jet coming from the AC unit nearby. The colder air cools the hot gas pipe, which in turn cools the even hotter upper flange of the reactor chamber. Ordinary physics: heat flows from hotter to colder parts. Moreover, the cooling rate caused by the AC jet impinging on the bare gas pipe is compatible with the usual values of heat transfer coefficient by forced convection at moderate air speed (**).

Only TC4 is affected by this cooling effect because it is the only thermocouple which is glued to a component (the upper flange or the nearby gas pipe) which, from a thermal point of view, is weakly coupled with the rest of the reactor/calorimeter assembly due to the probable presence of a insulating o-ring placed between the upper flange and the rest of the reactor chamber. Consequently, TC4 is the only thermocouple which is very sensitive to the temperature of the external portion of the H(D) gas piping, which in turn is periodically subjected to be cooled down by the air jet blown by the AC unit, when it is on.

Btw, what's about your claim that "No fan is even close to the reactor...." (1). Are you still of the same idea?

We also see TC fluctuations in active phases. Nothing special in LENR. But Takahashi sees a spectacular large fluctuation only in the case of an anomalous heat event.

Takahashi was a live long teacher of physics at Tohoku - university , quite popular in Japan - and has over 30 years LENR background. Trolls with primary school background only see their flat screen if....

LENR background includes F&P's "1992 boil-off experiment", whose claim about an alleged extraordinary excess heat production (more than 150 W of unknown nuclear origin!) can instead be easily explained by having erroneously taken foam for liquid, as anyone with primary school background can see by just watching the F&P video on his flat screen (***). Provided his brain is not flat as well.

Now, almost 30 years after ICCF3 held in Nagoya, where the F&P's video was presented for the first time (and the long teacher of physics was one of the 300 watchers), it happens that a sequence of temperature fluctuations, easily explained by ordinary cooling effects caused by the on-off operation of an AC unit, are claimed to be caused by AHEs of nuclear origin. Nothing special under the CF/LENR sky!

(*) The NEDO Initiative - Japan's Cold Fusion Programme

(**) The NEDO Initiative - Japan's Cold Fusion Programme

(***) Clearance Items

(1) The NEDO Initiative - Japan's Cold Fusion Programme

• Seems to me that convective flow of gas in a closed container could be metastable on the major variables, for example, gas properties and temperature gradients. A local (small compared to cell dimensions) pressure vortex or hot spot could thus significantly change the convective flow structure. Think of it as a weather system in miniature.

Is the reported observed data sufficient to test this hypothesis? A search of the literature pertaining to convection dynamics would help for sure. (Un)fortunately I don't have the time right now.

• I can ask the Takahashi team ...perhaps they will respond..

We discussed it last summer. Most likely its magnetic cooling either from H*-H* going back to H-H what can be a strong kinetic reaction or from an other nuclear magnetic moment taking over energy.

This effect is nothing new as said. We did see it also but in dense powder the delta T is much smaller than in a gaseous atmosphere.

The only point that can be discussed is whether the event causes an induced current in the TC or directly cools down the end of the pipe.

I completely understand when lost people like Ascoli need a Vodka to understand the weird phenomena of LENR....

• Seems to me that convective flow of gas in a closed container could be metastable on the major variables, for example, gas properties and temperature gradients.

Do you mean in an air flow calorimeter chamber? It is not stable. Mizuno and others have let smoke into the box to confirm this. (Smoke from incense.) The smoke swirls around, reaches every part, and quickly leaves the chamber.

• I can ask the Takahashi team ...perhaps they will respond..

I asked them some other things..

Takahashi was kind enough to reply

He mentioned the two chamber system..

the outer chamber watercooling to 25C at Kobe U is 2C higher than the outer chamber cooling at Tohoku U

. Iwamura et al. / Journal of Condensed Matter Nuclear Science 29 (2019) 119–128

"Replication experiments were performed at Tohoku University using

a high-quality heat measurement system similar to the apparatus at Kobe University

All the components in this thermostaticchamber are controlled

at 23 +-0.1C to avoid the influence of outside temperature fluctuations.

• Well there goes Mills work at least according to standard quantum mechanics lol. Any japanese scientists working in the Leif Holmlid, Wyttenbach and company direction?? Wonder if there is an alternate interpretation of a super chemical exothermic reaction that conforms with QM. Maybe the reaction does not exist, or just maybe QM isn't fully right.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.