Covid-19 News

• ...another possible anti-covid-19 remedy camostat mesylate :):

We next analyzed whether TMPRSS2 usage is required for SARS-CoV-2 infection of
    204 lung cells. Indeed, camostat mesylate significantly reduced MERS-S-, SARS-S- and SARS-2-S205 but not VSV-G-driven entry into the lung cell line Calu-3 (Figure 4C) and exerted no unwanted
    206 cytotoxic effects (Figure S3 panel C). Similarly, camostat mesylate treatment significantly
    207 reduced Calu-3 infection with authentic SARS-CoV-2 (Figure 4D). Finally, camostat mesylate
    208 treatment inhibited SARS-S- and SARS-2-S- but not VSV-G-driven entry into primary human
    209 lung cells (Figure 4E). Collectively, SARS-CoV-2 can use TMPRSS2 for S protein priming and
    210 camostat mesylate, an inhibitor of TMPRSS2, blocks SARS-CoV-2 infection of lung cells.

Search Results

Web results

Coronavirus Drug Research: German Researchers Identify ...

www.thailandmedical.news › news › coronavirus-drug-research-germ...

7 Mar 2020 - Coronavirus Drug Research: German Researchers Identify Japanese Drug, Camostat Mesylate That Could Be Repurposed To Treat Covid-19.

• The trend in the U.S. continues. The exponent is 1.3, unchanged since March 2.

DateTotal casesExponentNew CasesPredicted

At this rate, by March 31 it will be:

That is, ~255,000 cases, ~59,000 new cases per day.

• The delay here between infections and observed cases means that whatever level you start doing these extreme measures at - even if they work - you get some large multiple (20X - 100X) peak cases before the results are seen.

In the USA 1/4 of the tested people are positive in there rest of the world 1/40...

I am in that category. I did not take this seriously until recently, although I am not yet at the level of hysteria much of the population has reached. My attitude was not "stupid" up until now, as there is a historical rationale to it. You see, I have been conditioned beforehand, as has the public, to not take these things too seriously.

May be you should switch your favorite TV channels. There exist through documentations of the Wuhan containment showing how militantly people were locked in their apartments. They all understood that is was OK. May be it's an over reaction because it will not be possible to entirely contain the new virus in societies like UK where people shout at you if you are wearing a mask (my daughters experience!) ...

But may be check north Italian newspapers - not recommend for older ones .. - and understand what happens if you wait to long.

We in Switzerland still have no deaths within in the healthy population among about 1500 cases. But some will be downed too.

There is only one conclusion: If you don't want to care about older and sick people, than it's a great opportunity to get the asshole price.

• Official Post

The success of the Chinese response was discussed.

The Chinese are to be praised for their success and showing what works with this virus. History will remember the success.

I am in a Devil's Advocate mood for some reason, so let me ask: Did not the Chinese start this mess by turning a blind eye to their "wet market's"? Yes, of course they did, and this is not the first time, nor will it be the last. Once this passes, they will start them up again, and the cycle will repeat. Many of the yearly flu's, and many of the tri-annual cross-over viruses, which kill 100's of thousands around the world, originate in these unhygienic, viral breeding grounds. Yet they continue their behavior which is proven to be detrimental, and deadly to others.

So why all the praise for the Chinese government? Seems counterintuitive to me. Obviously some feel the Chinese actions, while draconian by any measure, are commendable, and even admirable, because "that is what it takes", so outweigh the fact they let this happen in the first place. I would think though, at the least we should all be furious they are so callous, and selfish that time after time they inflict the rest of us with their diseases. But all I see is praise. Very strange reaction IMO.

In contrast, it seems any western government can do no right...unless they adopt the communist Chinese way. Then they are rewarded by good press, and comments on the blogs. Odd.

Do not get me wrong, I still have this new-found respect of the potential for the COVID19 to wreck havoc on our economies (which in and of itself can cause deaths), and for it to kill off a sizeable portion of the human population by infection complications. But I have this lingering thought still, that this could be another over-hype. We shall see in the end which it is. In the meantime, my hand sanitizer is always at hand.

• Official Post

Shane D. I think the Chinese have banned 'live food' markets =allegedly for good. I'm not sure how that will work. In my second home, a little market town in deepest rural France, they banned the weekly sale of live poultry in the marketplace during/after the first bird-flu scare, and it has never returned. The same thing may happen in China. Intheir defence, I must say the French will eat most things, but AFAIK never bats.

• A couple things on those numbers:

1. The good is that even some basic distancing which is happening now will take the 1.3 multiplier down a bit. The question is what does society have to look like to get that number down? Will banning large public gatherings make a dent or do people need to go as far as basically staying home unless absolutely necessary? Italy still has a lot of new cases, but new cases on these charts reflect people who actually contracted the virus about a week ago. Italy was just shutting down at that point. So new cases is a lagging number in terms of how the virus is spreading today.

2. The bad is that I think the number of new cases in the U.S. in that chart is a bogus number. We haven’t been testing people that much here. So what does the number in that chart represent? What if our daily new cases are actually 1500? Supposedly more testing is happening now, but it’s the U.S. government we are talking about, so how realistic is an ultra fast ramp up in testing.

If you run a 1.3 multiplier on 1500 new cases today through the end of the month I’m sure it’s not a number anyone wants to see. Have to hope that the social distancing will start to have some sort of immediate positive effect on lowering the 1.3x factor.

Jed,

At what time does the 1.3 exponent start to decrease in other countries?

In China, it started to decline drastically two days after the lockdown began, on January 23. See Chart 7:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo…ple-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

This was extraordinarily effective. Much more than experts such as Aylward thought it could be. The Chinese also used the internet and other high tech method to track down nearly every case, and to quarantine anyone who had come in contact with the sick person. The most important thing they did was widespread testing, so they knew who to quarantine, and they knew how far the epidemic had spread, and approximately how many hidden cases there were.

In Korea and Japan, the authorities paid close attention to events in China. Korea began to experience an exponential increase, mainly from one concentrated group. They quickly implemented mass testing, following up of cases, and quarantines, but not travel restrictions. They stopped the exponential increase by Feb. 29. They have had very few deaths, and most patients have recovered. They are now getting about 100 new cases a day, with 50 patients in intensive care.

https://www.worldometers.info/…irus/country/south-korea/

The number in intensive care is not increasing, so they can manage that level indefinitely, without anything like the triage in Italy. Here is what happens with triage:

". . . a manager in the Lombardy health care system, among the most advanced and well-funded in Europe, [saw] anesthesiologists weeping in the hospital hallways because of the choices they are going to have to make."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/20…taly-dont-do-what-we-did/

In Japan they have traced every single patient, and quarantined everyone they came in contact with. They closed the schools. They made it possible for working people to stay home by paying 70% workers comp. The epidemic never began an exponential growth. There have been ~40 cases per day for the last several weeks, and 35 cases today. There are now 36 people in intensive care. They can easily sustain this level for as long as it takes to develop a vaccine.

In other words, China, Korea and Japan have brought the pandemic under control, with little loss of life. It is very unlikely the Korean and Japanese hospital systems will be overwhelmed, which means there will be no unnessary loss of life because patients cannot be treated. Patients suffering from other diseases will also be taken care of. This is a triumph of applied public health. In my opinion, it is the most extraordinary event in the history of public health, made possible only by modern communication and computer technology. When the internet was first made, who imagined that a generation later it save millions of lives? This is what make science and technology so wonderful.

Unfortunately, the lessons learned in Asia were largely ignored in Europe. The only thing they did right was to test large numbers of people. Let us hope that the lockdown in Italy works, because if it does not, there is not much else they can do to avoid about a thousand times more patients over the next several months. This may cause roughly as many deaths per capita as the 1918 influenza pandemic, because modern medicine does you no good when the medicine is not available and the doctors and nurses are busy with other patients, or dead. We are in the same boat as our grandparents were 102 years ago, when we cannot access 21st century medical care.

The EU did learn something from Asia. I think it is now apparent that in the U.S., officials and leaders such as Trump learned nothing, and did nothing. Only a few thousand test kits have been deployed, and there is no telling when more will be available. As far as I know, there is nothing like the internet-based reporting and monitoring systems that China and Japan use to track patients. Such a system could have been devised in a few weeks, but it was not. There has been no stockpiling of medical supplies. Hi tech masks should have been confiscated from the civilian market and saved for medical professionals, but this was not done. Individual hospitals have made preparations, but the government has done nothing -- as far as I know from Congressional testimony and other authoritative sources. I cannot tell because the Trump administration has classified all discussions and data as "top secret," as if this were a war, instead of a medical problem. That is unprecedented in the history of public health.

As a result of this negligence, it is likely that millions of Americans will be infected, and hundreds of thousands will die. All unnecessarily. We could have limited the number of deaths to a few thousand. In Japan, 814 have died, and only a few more die every day. There will probably be fewer than 2,000 deaths total by next year when a vaccine should become available.

When the Chinese stopped the exponential growth in January, the Japanese mass media and government took notice immediately. Since I watch Japanese TV I knew about it. When the Japanese successfully implemented these same strategies (at no cost to democratic freedom) I assumed the worst of this crisis was over. I assumed that the EU and U.S. would follow, and implement similar measures. But they did nothing. I have lived though lot of terrible history, in Vietnam and elsewhere. I was born just after WWII, but friends and relatives of mine fought on both sides, and were victims of the Hiroshima atomic bomb. I have seen much, and read far more. But now, when I see it is likely that hundreds of thousands of Americans will die for no reason, I never been more shocked and appalled in my life. If hundreds of thousands, or perhaps even millions die, it will be the worst thing that has happened in our history. Even worse than the Civil War, because at least that had a purpose, and it freed the slaves.

As Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute put it: "This is an unmitigated disaster that the administration has brought upon the population, and I don’t say this lightly. We have had a much worse response than Iran, than Italy, than China."

• So why all the praise for the Chinese government? Seems counterintuitive to me. Obviously some feel the Chinese actions, while draconian by any measure, are commendable, and even admirable, because "that is what it takes", so outweigh the fact they let this happen in the first place.

You are treating "China" as one entity. As if it were one person, or one institution. The politburo and the political leaders let this happen in first place. They are evil. They have imprisoned millions of Uyghurs. They are not as bad as the Maoists, but they are totalitarian dictators. The Chinese scientific and medical establishments, on the other hand, are mainly decent, honest, professional people, no different from scientists and doctors in the U.S. They have done a tremendous job. They deserve thanks from every person on earth. They showed how to stop this pandemic with little loss of life, and no important loss of freedom, except for a few months. If the rest of the world had learned from them, this pandemic would have been stopped with perhaps 10,000 deaths, and after 6 moths or a year, we could get back to our lives.

Millions of people in Japan and Korea preserved their health and their lives, thanks to the Chinese medical establishment.

Unfortunately, our leaders and our medical establishment learned nothing, and now we will probably pay with hundreds of thousands of lives lost, millions of people with broken health, bankruptcies, lost jobs and houses, and other personal tragedies. This will probably be suffering on a scale never experienced by Americans except in the Civil War and World War II. It seems unavoidable at this stage.

In another week or two, we will probably have more patients and more deaths than the entire pandemic up to now -- around 250,000 cases, From there the numbers will increase to hundreds of millions, inexorably. Why? Because people are ignorant and stupid. Because we do not apply modern science. Science is only thing that separates us from people in 1918. Without modern science and technology, we are as helpless as they were, and we will die at the same rate. What will prevent it? Once you get viral pneumonia, there is little the doctors can do for you. It killed my father in a few hours. If there is no ventilator available because the hospitals are overwhelmed, as they are in Italy, you will die as quickly as anyone did in 1918. Just living in this century does you no good, when you do not have access to our modern tools and medicine.

• Unfortunately, our leaders and our medical establishment learned nothing, and now we will probably pay with hundreds of thousands of lives lost, millions of people with broken health, bankruptcies, lost jobs and houses, and other personal tragedies.

Jed
    I think the USA leaders etc have finally got it.When the USA gets

something they get it done.

Hopefully they got it in time to

so your predictions do not come true.

Our Canadian Prime Minister is at

home.Hopefully he studying the

internet and getting it also.

• Official Post

A very instructive, but very hard to make compatible with current Western positions on Vovid19.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In French.

Pr Raoult explains many things, how the PCR test works with start/stop sequences, and can test someone in 2 hours, and how his Institute can do a thousand test a day...

He explains that one leading official in thoracic medicine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhong_Nanshan

have put chloroquine phosphate in "guidelines" for all symptomatic patients.

http://jtd.amegroups.com/user/view/295

China is storing chloroquine currently

Raoult explains that he is of the few experience with using Chloroquin for infection threatemen (he invented a threatement for endocellular bacteria, behaving similirally to sras-cov2)...

It is hard for me to understand why in France we test so few people, and why it tooks so long in US...

Who is fooling me...

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.