Covid-19 News

• Summary of most recent face mask study of Japan:

Japanese researchers have shown that masks can offer protection from airborne coronavirus particles, but even professional-grade coverings can't eliminate contagion risk entirely.

Scientists at the University of Tokyo built a secure chamber with mannequin heads facing each other. One head, fit... (Japantimes.co.jp)

• Add vitamin D to bread

I am wondering if Obst Konditorei has time for another variety + VitD3

Vit D seems to be stable during baking..

https://www.researchgate.net/p…tation_Baking_and_Storage...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Ivermectin... the view from the renewed isolation of Australia

(The surge in Victoria State passed by with a mere 700 deaths.

Most trials so far appear to be more promising than HCQ/Remdesivir.

The interviewer Dr Swan is more of a journalist than an informed expert.

Clinical trials ongoing in Spain and France...more patients there..

Guest:

Professor David Jans

Professor, Monash University, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology; NHMRC Senior Principal Fellow

https://www.abc.net.au/radiona…virus-treatments/12839508

• It’s Evolving: Coronavirus Genetic Mutation May Have Made COVID-19 More Contagious

https://scitechdaily.com/its-e…covid-19-more-contagious/

The paper shows “the virus is mutating due to a combination of neutral drift — which just means random genetic changes that don’t help or hurt the virus — and pressure from our immune systems,” said Ilya Finkelstein, associate professor of molecular biosciences at The University of Texas at Austin and co-author of the study. The study was carried out by scientists at Houston Methodist Hospital, UT Austin and elsewhere.

• Japanese researchers have shown that masks can offer protection from airborne coronavirus particles, but even professional-grade coverings can't eliminate contagion risk entirely.

Obviously. Anyone knows that. This study is a quantitative measure of the uncertainty, which is valuable, but it is not new information.

You can never eliminate contagion risk entirely. This is similar to the fact that no improvements to engineering and safety can eliminate any chance of an airplane crash. These things can only asymptotically reduce the risk.

What you said earlier was that because masks fail to some extent, everyone who uses one ends up with a mild case, or some exposure to the virus. That's nonsense. That is like saying that every airplane with a minor alarm during a flight always crashes.

• The Eiffel Tower of the postcard was made of Rubidium atoms at the Paris-Saclay university. Barredo et al, Nature, team of Antoine Broaweys. The individual rubidium atoms are positioned in a 3-D model by optical tweezers.

When two adjacent atoms are pumped into Rydberg states, they can interact in a quantum way. It is an “artificial Rydberg matter”.

• Official Post

SARS-CoV-2 seems to trigger an unbalanced response in our immune system, overstimulating the response of white blood cells and in some cases leading to ultra-inflammatory ‘cytokine storms’. The New Yorker combines on-the-ground reporting from virologist Benjamin Tenoever’s laboratory in New York City with a sweeping history of immunology to explore the fiendishly complicated relationship between us and our viral nemesis.

The New Yorker | 24 min read Reference: Cell paper

• What you said earlier was that because masks fail to some extent, everyone who uses one ends up with a mild case, or some exposure to the virus. That's nonsense.

Do not twist the nonsense (masks protect you!) you said into what I not said. Cheap standard masks the public uses do reduce the aerosol virus load by 70..80% not more! This is known since more than 10 years. But this gives you 5 times more time to go into a shop....

I can only repeat my warning: Masks do not protect you from an infection. They just reduce the risk to a tolerable level! To be on the safe side use an FP98 mask - what I did the first few weeks where we had no knowledge about the real danger of the virus, thateffectively is low for younger people.

And cloth masks with no built in filter have almost no effect on aerosols...

• Those dimwits at the Medical Research Council are still exclusively relying on epidemiological evidence whilst gagging any pharmacologists or biochemists - again these 'scientists' are simply 'statisticians' and are incapable of thinking outside of their self-inflicted Pandora's Box. I truly despair at their blatant lack of intelligence. Meanwhile I have had an encouraging response from Drugs.com about ANTI-BAT (TM), and will let you know how this angle progresses. Melatonin will be included as well. Yes, I am a 'proper' doctor not just honorary like most GP's, my PhD and senior Research Fellowship was in Biophysics and Medical Research, funded by the MRC and Wellcome Trust. I had to retire early due to health reasons, which is confidential.

• On a lighter note, after being kicked out of Academia for outrageous behaviour on returning from Japan (a very successful trip resulting in several important publications in colour vision) I reverted back to my teenage days as a Hell's Angel teaching motorcycle training in Penzance - at the age of 16 I joined the Essex Chapter where I was living (the Coggeshall Basterds!). Considering now that most Hell's Angels now are 50% ex-RAF or Ex-police this was a sensible career move, allowing me and my wife to concentrate on computer gaming, psychology, romantic writings, publishing books, publishing music, nuclear physics and generally living a freewheeling lifestyle. My wife died on the First of May.

• T-cell study adds to debate over duration of COVID-19 immunity

Kate KellanT-cell study adds to debate over duration of COVID-19 immunity

Kate Kellandd

https://mobile-reuters-com.cdn…nity-tcells-idINL8N2HO3XR

While our findings cause us to be cautiously optimistic about the strength and length of immunity generated after SARS-CoV-2 infection, this is just one piece of the puzzle," said Paul Moss, a professor of haematology at Britain's Birmingham University who co-led the study.

• On a lighter note, after being kicked out of Academia for outrageous behaviour on returning from Japan (a very successful trip resulting in several important publications in colour vision) I reverted back to my teenage days as a Hell's Angel teaching motorcycle training in Penzance - at the age of 16 I joined the Essex Chapter where I was living (the Coggeshall Basterds!). Considering now that most Hell's Angels now are 50% ex-RAF or Ex-police this was a sensible career move, allowing me and my wife to concentrate on computer gaming, psychology, romantic writings, publishing books, publishing music, nuclear physics and generally living a freewheeling lifestyle. My wife died on the First of May.

Sorry to hear about your wife's passing. Sounds like you've been a renaissance mans of sorts

• SARS-CoV-2 seems to trigger an unbalanced response in our immune system, overstimulating the response of white blood cells and in some cases leading to ultra-inflammatory ‘cytokine storms’. The New Yorker combines on-the-ground reporting from virologist Benjamin Tenoever’s laboratory in New York City with a sweeping history of immunology to explore the fiendishly complicated relationship between us and our viral nemesis.

The New Yorker | 24 min read Reference: Cell paper

This is a great read, and shows why the scientific hubris about vaccines is really just scientific ignoramus.

The immune system is a great world, and we intercede as foreigners despite the best of science pointing in the other direction -- let the system do it's work. I believe that therapies exist (hello Vitamin D), and more can be made that are truly safe and effective - unfortunately we have an industry that is trading off very dangerous long term health for a specious perceived short term benefit.

• Do not twist the nonsense (masks protect you!) you said into what I not said. Cheap standard masks the public uses do reduce the aerosol virus load by 70..80% not more! This is known since more than 10 years. But this gives you 5 times more time to go into a shop....

I can only repeat my warning: Masks do not protect you from an infection. They just reduce the risk to a tolerable level!

Yes, more tolerable.

Let's assume an extremely generous mask reduction of viral count by 70 percent. (20 percent may be more reasonable, but whatever.) So on exhale, 30 percent of viruses are released into the air. Another person who walks into that exhale has a mask that will cut that viral count by another 70 percent. So instead of 100 percent virus load it is .3 x .3 =~ 10 percent viral load.

In one minute an infected person can exhale from 1,000 to 100,000 viral particles.

https://www.medrxiv.org/conten…101/2020.05.31.20115154v1

That amounts to about 100 to 10,000 particles on one exhale. Let's call it 1,000. Say two people, one infected, *briefly* say hello up close. Now, all 1,000 particles are not going to get to the other person. Perhaps only one quarter of that viral count which is exhaled will even make it into the other person's inhale. So 250 virus particles. If both people are wearing masks, that reduces to about 25 virus particles.

But again I highly doubt a surgical mask blocks 70 percent of viral particles.

Here's a typical disclaimer on a box of surgical masks:

WARNING: This product is an ear loop mask. This product is not a respirator and will not provide any protection against COVID-19 or other viruses or contaminants. Wearing an ear loop mask does not reduce the risk of contracting any disease or infection.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.