Covid-19 News

• mandates are what fuels the dissent. In 1918 after the first wave, many states ordered mask mandates. Demonstrations broke out and lead to 195000 American deaths in 5weeks! So what did we learn from that? Americans were told early on to mask if infected. Cloth masks were not to be worn, they offered no protection. 3 weeks later we are told masks are now required, oh and cloth masks will do just fine. As I've said from the beginning, confusion rules! I have been wearing n95 masks since the beginning, I just don't think I need to be told to!!!

Right, I understand that. One mistake people often make is to assume others are the same as they are. Could you be making it here? :)

• Speaking of which, those health bureaucrats lauded by THH and Jed and Zeus for mask mandates and lockdowns, I hope they get to digest the preprint out of Brown University on Rhode Island. Researchers report a 21 point drop in IQ in roughly 100 children less than 5 years of age since Covid started, compared to the decade previous.

This is why we must vaccinate more people, wear masks, and do everything else we can to avoid lockdowns and school closings. In two south Georgia counties, where only ~30% of the population has been vaccinated, schools opened a week ago and then abruptly had to close because so many students became infected with COVID. They will remain closed for at least until Sep. 7. It is tragic. Totally avoidable.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/education/two-georgia-school-systems-suspend-face-to-face-instruction-ware-long/85-5a9476cb-062a-4cfb-98a4-9403ffe138dc

In Atlanta a much higher fraction of the population has been vaccinated, including school students over age 12. Masks have to be worn in schools and stores. So, we will probably avoid lockdowns.

If you are opposed to lockdowns and you do not want to destroy the schools and the economy, you must be in favor of vaccination. Lockdowns or vaccination are your only two options.

In Dallas, Texas, if your child gets a serious case of COVID, he or she will have to wait for another child to die before getting ICU care. There are no more pediatric ICU beds available. Again, it is a stark choice: vaccinations, or hundreds of dead children, and tens of thousands of dead adults. Which do you choose?

'Your child will wait for another child to die.' Amid Covid-19 surge, Dallas County has no pediatric ICU beds left, county judge says
    Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations are surging and in Dallas County, Texas, there are "zero ICU beds left for children," county judge Clay Jenkins said in a…
    www.cnn.com

• Right, I understand that. One mistake people often make is to assume others are the same as they are. Could you be making it here? :)

No not at all. I think people who don't wear a mask right now are idiots if unvaccinated and taking a chance if vaccinated. As for schools, again I have no problem with kids wearing masks but one mask for 7 hours a day, day after day is insane!!! They need to change masks every hour or what's the point. Do you understand now Thomas, we aren't as far apart as you keep trying to make it

• No not at all. I think people who don't wear a mask right now are idiots if unvaccinated and taking a chance if vaccinated. As for schools, again I have no problem with kids wearing masks but one mask for 7 hours a day, day after day is insane!!! They need to change masks every hour or what's the point. Do you understand now Thomas, we aren't as far apart as you keep trying to make it

Ok, I can see you are more into masks than me. Of course N95 masks are much better, and they protect you. But we cannot get children wearing them, that would be ridiculous. Changing masks - maybe but not sure in practice:

(1) do old masks get packaged safely?

(2) masks are mostly about decreasing particle content in air, so wearing one protects others. Not sure I'd worry about old vs new but have not seen data.

Anyway we are not that far apart except you post those weird anti-vax misinformation links... Maybe you just want somone to point out why they are false?

• Anyway we are not that far apart except you post those weird anti-vax misinformation links... Maybe you just want somone to point out why they are false?

yes and no. What I'm posting is what should be discussed not dismissed. That is part of the problem, both sides of the issue say they are right and here is why, while a disenting view says they are right and hers why. I can follow medical studies as I have been investigating cancer research for over 16 years and have found some Merritt on both sides. I think the truth lies in-between. I appreciate your taking time to look into what I post and your response, whether I agree or not. I just want the truth!

• It is also why W's "if you are healthy and young you have no risk" suggestions don't work.

I do not know about COVID, but with other viral infections being especially healthy, fit and young puts you in more danger. The 1918 pandemic killed more young people than old. The immediate cause of death was an allergic reaction to the disease, and this reaction was stronger in healthy people. It also tended to kill elderly, sick, and weak people with comorbidities, as any disease does. In other words, it killed people at both ends of the spectrum: weak and strong.

I do not know whether COVID tends to kill fit people. Perhaps that has not yet been established. The previous variants did not kill many young people, but there are indications Delta does.

• yes and no. What I'm posting is what should be discussed not dismissed. That is part of the problem, both sides of the issue say they are right and here is why, while a disenting view says they are right and hers why. I can follow medical studies as I have been investigating cancer research for over 16 years and have found some Merritt on both sides. I think the truth lies in-between. I appreciate your taking time to look into what I post and your response, whether I agree or not. I just want the truth!

Yes, just be careful with in between.

You will find scientists willing to argue anything, and you need good critical appraisal skills sometimes and a lot of subject knowledge to work out what is 99% likely - or in some less certain cases 90% likely. Those who get different overall conclusions from the regulators - who are transparent - should be very sure they are not making a big mistake. Triangulating equally between contradictory statements is not getting to the truth.

With the anti-vax stuff like you posted they are just lies. No in between.

With PR sure, there is in between. Vaccines have (extremely small) risks - balancing those with COVID risks requires detail. That detail will not be articulated in much detail in public announcements where if you say vaccine has risks that is all people remember, even though they are 100X smaller than the COVID risk. And as reported by the Press even more details get lost.

• The Obesity Crisis Was Already Bad & COVID-19 Raised the Risks Further: Why Don’t Health Leaders Talk About This Publicly?

The Obesity Crisis Was Already Bad & COVID-19 Raised the Risks Further: Why Don't Health Leaders Talk About This Publicly?
    According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) those considered “overweight” raises one’s risk with COVID-19 significantly, while
    trialsitenews.com

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) those considered “overweight” raises one’s risk with COVID-19 significantly, while if one falls into the category of “obesity” their risk of hospitalization due to SARS-CoV-2, the virus behind COVID-19, grows threefold. This could possibly be explained that obesity, that is those with a Body Mass index of 30 or higher, is actually associated with impaired immune function, diabetes and cardiovascular challenges. Moreover obesity can decrease lung capacity and reserve, thus making ventilation a challenge. Yet although Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), as well as chief medical advisor to the current American POTUS, Joe Biden, constantly gives America advice via television and YouTube interviews why doesn’t he ever talk about the topic of obesity in association with the pandemic? Despite show after show where Fauci exhorts action and recommendations, never does he go to some of the key underlying risks associated with COVID-19 hospitalization and death. It’s as if all we have to do is vaccinate everyone on the planet and our problems will disappear. While the connections need to be discussed, a potential breakthrough study opened up new therapeutic potential. The topic manifested in a study led by an impressive team of academic medical center and industry researchers from Regeneron. The study team investigated almost 650,000 exomes associated with people in America, Mexico and the UK, pinpointing those associated with body mass or obesity. Nailing down 16 coding variants correlating to obesity the team, led by Regeneron’s Parsa Akbari as well as Ankit Gilani with New York Medical College, identified GPR75 as a candidate for obesity-inhibiting targeted research.

TrialSite’s previously reviewed obesity survey, emphasized the importance of addressing this epidemic, while declaring that relatively few companies invested as heavily as Denmark’s Novo Nordisk. A rising health crisis, in places like America but in many other nations as well, the association of obesity to various comorbidities are well documented. The World Health Organization (WHO) reports overall obesity worldwide in both adults and children has grown threefold since the mid 1970s. WHO observes growing obesity rates even in traditionally poor low-and-middle income countries (LMICs).

Regeneron Study Breakthrough

The company announced that led by scientists at the Regeneron Genetics Center (RGC), the group discovered rare genetic mutations in the GPR75 gene associated with protection against obesity. Reported in Science, the group sequences 650,000 people to find the rare individuals with the genetic ‘superpower’ contributing new insights into the genetic basis of obesity.

Led by Dr. Parsa Akbari and 62 scientists from several academic medical centers, the group also leveraged labs at New York Medical College validating via preclinical findings in mice that in this case were genetically engineered via the advanced Regeneron technology—the same technology Regeneron used to develop the monoclonal antibody cocktail that is helping to treat COVID-19 patients. Before delving further into the Regeneron sponsored research, and therapeutic future potential, a review of the cost of obesity and the association with the COVID-19 pandemic.

Costs of Obesity

TrialSite suggested well before COVID-19 that obesity represented a health problem of epidemic proportions. After all, it’s well known that obesity is associated with a number of other major problems, from type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular problems to even some cancers. The CDC raised the stakes of the dialogue in America by declaring that obesity represents the absolute number one force behind preventable ailments leading to early death.

The National League of Cities shared a report that obesity leads to staggering healthcare costs representing about 21% of total costs, at about $190.2 billion. This figure originates from a 2012 study titled “The Medical Care Costs of Obesity: An Instrumental Variables Approach.” The CDC suggested the cost hovered near $150 billion in 2008.

The social determinants of health of course play a role in all of this in America and elsewhere. In the USA generally among lower socioeconomic strata, as well as racial and ethnic classifications such as African Americans and Latinos or Native Americans experience significantly higher obesity rates, reports the CDC.

What about Obesity & COVID-19?

Here we review some literature indicating the severe risks associated with obesity and COVID-19—making this topic more imminent—while providing a brief breakdown of the complicated research findings just recently published in Science.

What does research say about obesity and risks associated with COVID-19?

A recent CDC led study involving 148,493 U.S. adults with SARS-CoV-2 infection uncovered a nonlinear relationship involving BMI and COVID-19 severity; that is those with BMIs “near the threshold between healthy weight and overweight” faced the lowest risk with such risk for severe COVID-19 “…increasing with higher BMI.” Moreover the CDC-led study team declared “Overweight and obesity were risk factors for invasive mechanical ventilation.” The CDC led team concluded among obese adults over 65 the risk factor for hospitalization and death was particularly high.

In a striking findings a study led by Barry Popkin, PhD, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill discovered via a comprehensive meta-analysis that those individuals deemed obese face dangerous risks in association with COVID-19: they face a 113% higher risk of hospitalization as well as a 48% higher risk of dying from the disease as compared to normal-weight adults or those classified as overweight.” The findings were published in JAMA Network.

The Obesity Society, a group of health professionals involved with the condition, suggest that actually the challenge is that in addition to the elderly, those facing some of the worst risks associated with COVID-19 include people with pre-existing respiratory and cardiac disease, and those with compromised immune systems.

The point, however, is that “People with obesity have a higher likelihood of being in each of these categories and should therefore be considered at increased risk for severe disease.”

According to a research group known as “the Oxford-Cardiff COVID-19 Literature Consortium” those that fall in the obese category are twice as likely to suffer from severe COVID-19. This UK -originated consortium led by University of Oxford and Cardiff University also implicates obesity and viral shedding:

“Obesity may play a role in prolonged viral shedding of infected individuals, potentially increasing transmission within the population.”

TrialSite Review of Obesity & COVID-19 Mortality by Nation

TrialSite sought to learn more about a relatively simple and straightforward question—does the countries with the highest obesity rates have high COVID-19 mortality rates?

The United States, one of the countries with the highest obesity rate on the planet with an obesity rate of .36, leads worldwide with COVID-19 mortality at 637, 439 deaths. According to World Population Review America has the highest obesity rate among major countries.

Looking at actual COVID-19 death rates is tricky when factoring in testing, variant of interest strain and numerous other factors. But Statista provides one ranking that includes Yemen, Peru, Mexico, Reunion, Sudan, Syria, Ecuador and Egypt and others as top COVID-19 mortality rates.

While Yemen has an average obesity (.17) rate it’s death rate is more than likely associated with the horrors of war and associated poverty as Saudi Arabia went to war against that nation. Peru, the birthplace of some variants of concern, has a higher than average obesity rate at .20, and also records one of the higher COVID-19 mortality rates. Mexico, one of the highest COVID-19 mortality rates also experiences some of the highest obesity rates in the world at .29. Reunion, a French overseas territory in the Indian Ocean also makes the list of high COVID-19 mortality rates. Health articles reveal that the small island nation faces a rapidly growing obesity problem, including childhood obesity.

Syria, ravaged by war, economic crisis and an authoritarian regime also has one of the highest death rates and a relatively high obesity ranking at 27.8. Ditto for Egypt which has a high COVID-19 death rate and is one of the top countries struggling with obesity at a rate of 0.32. Some nations with high COVID-19 mortality rates don’t fit this hypothesis, such as Sudan and Somalia which undoubtedly face other social determinants of health problems (poverty, lack of adequate health care system, access to early treatment options or vaccines, etc.).

Next to America, Brazil has the second highest total COVID-19 death count at 568,883 deaths, as well as an above average obesity rating at 0.22. But like the United States, Brazil faces other social determinants of health challenges associated with socioeconomic levels and race. TrialSite recently reported that the poor, and especially Blacks in Brazil face graver COVID-19 risks than whites (primarily of Portuguese, German and Italian descent).

While India has the third highest total COVID-19 death toll at 431,272, the actual mortality rate in the world’s second most populous nation is significantly lower than America, given the total number of cases, deaths and overall population. India’s overall obesity rate is low at 0.04 in 2021. But the country’s rapidly growing middle class experiences growing concerns of obesity and associated issues such as type 3 diabetes suggests a piece by CNN.

America, facing the biggest large scale obesity challenge, also recorded the most COVID-19 deaths during the pandemic as mentioned previously. The most obese nations in the world are those in Polynesia but they have small populations. An example would be French Polynesia (mortality rate 33.1%) which is also going through a severe delta-driven COVID-19 surge with a significant mortality rate (although overall numbers due to the small population size). The most obese nation on the planet, the South Pacific isle of American Samoa (74.6%) has had few COVID-19 cases—a clear anomaly? Perhaps due to isolation, rules keeping outsiders out and heavy vaccination led to this situation?

This goal here is not to attempt to prove a statistical hypothesis but rather offer a basic point of view. It would appear that several of the countries with the highest COVID-19 mortality rates also have a growing obesity problem. Clearly research out of America indicates a real connection. Yet little is ever discussed on the topic publicly.

Back to GPR75

The recent study results published in Science shared that GPR75 actually represents an example of five G protein-coupled receptors expressed in the human brain influencing obesity. The other five include:

· CALCR

· MC4R

· GIPR

· GPR151

According to the findings GPR75 is actually linked to a 54% less chance of obesity. That is the BMI measure of those with high expressions overall had lower BMI scores.

Pharma Invests to Target Therapies

Regeneron led the research effort recently published in Science. According to a press release last month the company declared that they leveraged their VelociGene® technology as part of the study to create mice with similar protective mutation that are resistant to obesity. Overall they referred to the publication that those with the protective mutation face lower risks of obesity (54%). The company is targeting potential therapeutics, competing with Novo Nordisk and others using the VelocImmune® technology platform along with collaborator Alnylam’s siRNA technology.

Along with Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, inc. Regeneron seeks to copy what they identified and terms “genetic superpowers.” Actually Regeneron pursues multiple therapeutic approaches in its bid targeting GPR75 including antibodies, small molecules and gene silencing.

According to Aris Baras, MD, LinkedIn Senior Vice President of the company and Head of the Regeneron Genetics Center “The discovery of GPR75 is already enabling Regeneron and our collaborators to identify potential ways to safely replicate the effect of this mutation through novel therapeutic approaches.”

Open Questions

In the meantime a devastating pandemic hit obese segments of the population particularly hard. Given all that we already know about the problems associated with obesity and what COVID-19 has informed us, why isn’t this topic discussed publicly? Why doesn’t Dr. Fauci share more on the critical connection between obesity rates and COVID-19 risks of hospitalization and mortality? While some people that fall into the obesity category will undoubtedly need medication, others can turn it around through a regimen of exercise and healthy eating. Why isn’t this kind of talk more prominent–especially with COVID-19 continuing to rage? Does a culture of political correctness get in our way of tackling this monumental challenge? Would a mass vaccination program solve the problems? Of course with growing breakthrough cases TrialSite suggests that only a multi-faceted, dynamic and situationally responsive program including not only safe and effective vaccines, but also early treatment and data-driven public health programs, will help societies transcend the current predicament. Perhaps SARS-CoV-2 will magically dissipate over the next year or two—that would be great–but the odds look less and less and even if it did would the growing health problems associated with post-modernity, such as obesity, disappear? Perhaps these problems are interrelated?

• You mean this?

No.

21% reduction seems worthwhile especially because of the disruption to children self-isolating.

A mere 21 percent reduction of an already low number of cases, almost all of which are at most mildly symptomic, PALES in comparison to the social detriments of forcing a child to mask, depriving them of the facial cues of their classmates and interfering with their breathing.

Improving ventilation in schools? Now that is very good move, for a start. I've been in high schools where I can smell mould coming from the ceil tiles. Lots of ways the health of students could be greatly helped. Masking is not one of them.

Like, a true libertarian would see no reason to ban outdoor BBQs and smoking in forests when the risk of forest fires are very very high, but should just encourage this?

I imagine a libertarian would be in favour of only using designated places that are made fire safe, because proper risk assessments have already been made. Banning smoking in forests? Nah, instead there are rules for proper extinguishing of cigarette butts, and not smoking in common areas.

I just can't see this argument. Obviously I'm not a true libertarian but I have a very strong respect for personal space, believe people need to be free to make their own mistakes, do not like interfering, agree that giving people handouts can encourage dependence, etc.

Well that's good. You have probably just found favour in the eyes of some libertarians. Rejoice!

• No not at all. I think people who don't wear a mask right now are idiots if unvaccinated and taking a chance if vaccinated. As for schools, again I have no problem with kids wearing masks but one mask for 7 hours a day, day after day is insane!!! They need to change masks every hour or what's the point. Do you understand now Thomas, we aren't as far apart as you keep trying to make it

LOL. There is no science for masks, full stop. I've read all of it. Send me your best article, and let's review it.

• This goal here is not to attempt to prove a statistical hypothesis but rather offer a basic point of view. It would appear that several of the countries with the highest COVID-19 mortality rates also have a growing obesity problem. Clearly research out of America indicates a real connection. Yet little is ever discussed on the topic publicly.

Obesity is a risk for very many diseases, Covid no more than all the others. Obesity cannot easily be addressed. And the US has been particularly bad at taking any action. Why bring this up now?

• Obesity is a risk for very many diseases, Covid no more than all the others. Obesity cannot easily be addressed. And the US has been particularly bad at taking any action. Why bring this up now?

You remember the pic I posted from cosmopolitan, a seapig dancing under the headline, This is healthy! Not one word from our 37th ranked healthcare system! That's why!!!

• As for schools, again I have no problem with kids wearing masks but one mask for 7 hours a day, day after day is insane!!!

Why would they do that?!? Who does that? The ones I use are like paper kleenexes. They get wet after a while, so I toss 'em out and put on another.

I get that the n95 ones are expensive and have to be washed. So, take 2 or 3 and change them during the day. Or several cloth ones.

• If you are opposed to lockdowns and you do not want to destroy the schools and the economy, you must be in favor of vaccination. Lockdowns or vaccination are your only two options.

In Dallas, Texas, if your child gets a serious case of COVID, he or she will have to wait for another child to die before getting ICU care. There are no more pediatric ICU beds available. Again, it is a stark choice: vaccinations, or hundreds of dead children, and tens of thousands of dead adults. Which do you choose?

I choose the Swedish route. Schools open, no mask mandates, no vaccination mandates, no lockdowns. The people can act freely according to their view of risk.

• Regarding W's assertion that he both has and has not been vaccinated:

I did not make any gen therapy... So the answer was easy...But not for cricket brains....

Researchers report a 21 point drop in IQ in roughly 100 children less than 5 years of age since Covid started, compared to the decade previous

Great! More candidates for the FM/R/XXX/B mafia - the cricket brain people with the lowest IQ on the planet.

• By gosh you're right, it is daily. My error.

Not at all. If you get a drop on your mask inside a shop and must wear it outside too (most countries) then the mask increases the risk by factors. The drop starts to dry and finally you respire the virus...That's why these countries have 3x more deaths than Switzerland....

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.