Covid-19 News

• Official Post

Strong evidence for simultaneous infection with Covid and other respiratory viruses in some patients.

https://medicalxpress.com/news…-respiratory-viruses.html

Some people like to call the SARS2 nCov "Airborne AIDS". I read that a person in Iceland was infected with two variants of the covid-19 virus. Now if it can atack simultaneously with other viruses, it only makes things worse.

• Official Post

Here's another suggestion for prophylaxis, from a well-informed source.

1. Zinc plus ionophores can block replication of corona viruses (at least in vitro)

te Velthuis AJW, van den Worm SHE, Sims AC, Baric RS, Snijder EJ, van Hemert MJ. Zn2+ Inhibits Coronavirus and Arterivirus RNA Polymerase Activity In Vitro and Zinc Ionophores Block the Replication of These Viruses in Cell Culture. Plos Pathogens 2010; https://doi.org/10.1371/journa…1371/journal.ppat.1001176

2. Chloroquine is a ionophore, so its positive effects might in really be attributed to the weaponisation of zinc present in the patients, in this case administering zinc supplements could increase its effectiveness (and lack thereof might instead explain when it does not work)

Xue J, Moyer A, Peng B, Wu J, Hannafon BN, Ding WQ. Chloroquine Is a Zinc Ionophore. PLoS One. 2014; 9(10): e109180. doi: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p…1371/journal.pone.0109180

3. The effect of chloroquine reported by Prof. Raoult and other is consistent with the effects of zinc, i.e. a shorter infection period, even though there is no mention of zinc in his papers (I already sent a similar message to Prof Raoult): “A rapid fall of nasopharyngeal viral load tested by qPCR was noted, with 83% negative at Day7, and 93% at Day8. Virus cultures from patient respiratory samples were negative in 97.5% patients at Day5. This allowed patients to rapidly de discharge from highly contagious wards with a mean length of stay of five days.”

https://www.mediterranee-infec…2020/03/COVID-IHU-2-1.pdf

4. chloroquine has side effects, while other ionophores like quercetin and epigallocatechin-gallate don’t

Dabbagh-Bazarbachi H, Clergeaud G, Quesada IM, Ortiz M, O'Sullivan CK, Fernández-Larrea JB. Zinc ionophore activity of quercetin Zinc ionophore activity of quercetin and epigallocatechin-gallate: from Hepa 1-6 cells to a liposome model. J Agric Food Chem. 2014;62(32):8085-93. doi: 10.1021/jf5014633. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25050823

5. Therefore this suggests a preventive treatment of 500mg quercetine and 25mg zinc (and more, up to 400mg, in case of infection) to the general population might reduce the symptoms and duration, thus flattening the curve, while having a low cost and no known side effects

• That's why I was suggesting flavonoids found in broccoli, beans and tea. In a healthy diet we normally consume 10-100 mg of a range of 5000 or so different hydroxylated polyphenol flavonoids:

Many of the biological effects of flavonoids appear to be related to their ability to modulate a number of cell-signaling cascades. Flavonoids have been shown to exhibit antiinflammatory, antithrombogenic, antidiabetic, anticancer, and neuroprotective activities through different mechanisms of action in vitro and in animal models. (More information) Accumulating evidence from randomized controlled trials suggests that consumption of flavan-3-ols and anthocyanidins can be beneficial for metabolic and cardiovascular health. (More information) The results of small-scale randomized controlled trials suggest that consumption of flavonoid-rich food and beverages containing anthocyanins or flavan-3-ols may improve vascular endothelial function. As yet, it is not known whether these acute improvements result in long-term reductions in risk of cardiovascular disease. (More information) Promising findings in randomized controlled studies indicate that supplementation with flavan-3-ols or anthocyanidins may improve glycemic control in subjects at-risk or diagnosed with type 2 diabetes mellitus. (More information) Despite promising results in animal studies, only a limited number of observational studies have reported potential cancer preventive effects of flavonoids in humans. Higher intakes of soy isoflavones may be associated with reduced risks of breast cancer in postmenopausal women and prostate cancer in men. (More information) Evidence suggesting that some flavonoids or flavonoid-rich foods may enhance cognitive function is currently limited, and it is not yet known whether their consumption could lower the risk of cognitive impairments and dementia in humans. (More information) High intakes of dietary flavonoids are generally regarded as safe, especially because of their low bioavailability. However, flavonoid supplements may affect the action of anticoagulants and increase the toxicity of a wide range of drugs when taken concurrently. (More information) Introduction Flavonoids are a large family of over 5,000 hydroxylated polyphenolic compounds that carry out important functions in plants, including attracting pollinating insects; combating environmental stresses, such as microbial infection; and regulating cell growth (1). Their bioavailability and biological activities in humans appear to be strongly influenced by their chemical nature. Since the 1990s, there has been a growing interest in dietary flavonoids due to their likely contribution to the health benefits of fruit- and vegetable-rich diets. This article reviews some of the scientific evidence regarding the role of dietary flavonoids in health promotion and disease prevention in humans; it is not meant to be a comprehensive review on every health topic studied. Flavonoid Subclasses Flavonoids are classified into 12 major subclasses based on chemical structures, six of which, namely anthocyanidins, flavan-3-ols, flavonols, flavones, flavanones, and isoflavones (Table 1 and Figures 1-9) are of dietary significance. Glycosylated flavonols (bound to at least one sugar molecule) are the most widely distributed flavonoids in the diet (2, 3). Table 1. Common Dietary Flavonoids(Select the highlighted text to see chemical structures.)Flavonoid SubclassDietary Flavonoids (aglycones)Some Common Food Sources (see also Sources)Anthocyanidins* Cyanidin, Delphinidin, Malvidin, Pelargonidin, Peonidin, Petunidin Red, blue, and purple berries; red and purple grapes; red wine Flavan-3-ols Monomers (Catechins):(+)-Catechin, (-)-Epicatechin, (-)-Epigallocatechin, (+)-Gallocatechin; and their gallate derivatives Teas (particularly white, green, and oolong), cocoa-based products, grapes, berries, apples Dimers and Polymers:Proanthocyanidins# Apples, berries, cocoa-based products, red grapes, red wine td >Black tea Flavonols Isorhamnetin, Kaempferol, Myricetin, Quercetin Onions, scallions, kale, broccoli, apples, berries, teas Flavones Apigenin, Luteolin, Baicalein, Chrysin Parsley, thyme, celery, hot peppers Flavanones Eriodictyol, Hesperetin, Naringenin Citrus fruit and juices, e.g., oranges, grapefruits, lemons Isoflavones Daidzein, Genistein, Glycitein, Biochanin A, Formononetin Soybeans, soy foods, legumes *Anthocyanidins with one or more sugar moieties (anthocyanidin glycosides) are called anthocyanins.#Proanthocyanidin oligomers formed from (+)-catechin and (-)-epicatechin subunits are called procyanidins.p

Given we eat all this anyway, would any additional quercetin acting as a Zn ionphore produce any additional therapeutic effect?

• Official Post

I think one could make a valid argument for the next pandemic to roll out of China (yes, the wet markets are already reopening), that creating a panic, can be deadly as, or maybe even worse than the disease itself. Similar to weighing the ravages of the COVID, against the ravages of the recession the social distancing "cure" will cause...so must scaring the crap out of the population have to be taken into consideration.

Reading this article reminds me of that old adage about walking into a crowded theater and yelling FIRE. It even works on a world stage, and who can yell fire louder, and longer than an irresponsible media?

• Official Post

Now that the Hubei province is letting people in the streets again, the ugly truth about the real death toll is slowly becoming more tangible and the official figure seems to be off by at least 13 times.

https://www.rfa.org/english/ne…eaths-03272020182846.html

Common sense tells me the deaths were probably far higher than what is being officially reported. I doubt they would have cracked down so hard the way they did, unless the number of deaths/infections they were seeing were much, much higher.

There have been plenty of reports from Asian news sources saying that all along, so this is nothing new. The Chinese regime almost certainly lied about the severity since the beginning, and continues to do so. To add insult to injury, they have kicked their propaganda machine into high gear, to turn truth upside down, and inside out.

• oldguy I wouldn't worry too much about India - only just over 1000 cases so far? Same in Sub-saharan Africa apart from S Africa where malaria has been eradicated. They all have prophylactic chloroquine or other quinine analogues giving them protection against this coronavirus - unlike China, Europe and the USA. Just look at the fatalities when the H1N1 Flu virus swept through Africa in 1918 - 2 million dead in three months! This is just not happening thank God. Look up the coronavirus case distribution maps and compare them with malaria case maps for Africa, South America and India (which I posted previously). The media should report this observation to hopefully stop the mass panic that is occurring and making the situation far worse. Maybe the epidemic would never have occurred in China if they hadn't eradicated malaria there (the last reported case was 5 years ago). AS I've said before Bayer donated a large supply of chloroquine to the Chinese on 20 Feb & since then the pandemic there has been under control (even if the CP is under reporting deaths). It is now plateauing in France, Italy, Spain & the US where new therapy based on Chloroquine (and Avigen) is now actually being used. There is also an Australian study treating medical staff prophylactically with chloroquine. Like Shane D. says its time to get back to work and prevent further economic damage by distributing medicines to the workforce and ending this over-hyped pandemic.:)

• Finally, the U.S. has dropped, slightly, from 19,452 (the peak so far) to 18,469. That is a great relief.

The numbers were revised this morning, up to 19,913. It is still a great relief. It is a factor 1.02 compared to the previous day.

If it had increased at the same rate it has been increasing for most of the month, the total would be ~25,000.

• Official Post

ommon sense tells me the deaths were probably far higher than what is being officially reported. I doubt they would have cracked down so hard the way they did, unless the number of deaths/infections they were seeing were much, much higher.

And they are getting back to normal. Hard to hide that, so I would also assume they are well on their way to recovering.

• Now that the Hubei province is letting people in the streets again, the ugly truth about the real death toll is slowly becoming more tangible and the official figure seems to be off by at least 13 times.

I doubt it, but that is, at least, plausible. That is not the same as claiming the methods did not work, and the epidemic is still raging.

It would not surprise me if the total deaths were revised down to make the government look better. I doubt it is a factor of 13, because that would be impossible to hide.

The article cited says there are 7 crematoriums and if the totals were as claimed, they could have handled the overflow in one day. That would only be the case if no one else died in the city, for any other reason. That is impossible. Also, they would not have 7 crematoriums if all seven were not normally busy during usual business hours (1 to 2 thirds of the day). In other words, it is only the overflow that would keep them open all night. So, I guess that means it would take them two days to catch up. If they were really open all night during the height of the epidemic, that would be evidence of unreported excess deaths.

It could be that the some of the deaths were not recorded as coronavirus early in the epidemic. That has happened in the U.S., especially in Washington, and in Italy and other countries with honest public health agencies.

• And they are getting back to normal. Hard to hide that, so I would also assume they are well on their way to recovering.

In other words, they have brought the epidemic under control, the same way the Koreans and Japanese did. "Under control" does not mean life is back to normal in Japan. Far from it! The schools are still out, there is massive unemployment, and social distancing. There is widespread fear -- as there should be. Without that, people would let down their guard and the epidemic might go out of control. There is disruption. What they do not have is hundreds of people into hospitals, emergency morgues in refrigerated trucks, and hundreds of deaths per day. Like this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30…atients-deaths/index.html

Everyone in Japan in well aware of the situation in the U.S. and Europe. They are afraid it might happen to them. That's good. That is the only thing that will stop it from happening.

• Anybody trapped abroad is probably safer from the coronavirus in India, Africa and South America. Just keep taking the anti-malarial pills, hunker down and take a longer, extended vacation. No mad rush back to the UK and hospitalization on the NHS.

• Gov. Cuomo reported "We can now test for antibodies to determine whether a person had COVID-19. This is a blood test."

Cuomo thinks this is essential to restarting the economy. I agree. Here's my take on how it should be done:

The antibody test is vitally important, but unlike the test for the disease, it is not a matter of immediate life and death, so it can done in an orderly way. I would start with healthcare workers and police officers. Then test grocery store clerks and people stocking food, and others doing critical jobs such as maintaining the electrical grid.

Then test people who think they got sick but are not sure. It would be a great relief to learn you did have a mild case, and you are now immune.

Finally, as more tests become available, test anyone who wants to be tested, and give people a certificate showing they have acquired immunity and are free to go back to work.

There is slight chance a person got the disease but is not immune. The test should show this. It would tell you that even though you were sick, you do not have antibodies. Bad luck!

The other advantage to this test is, it would tell people with acquired immunity they can freely visit elderly friends and relatives, or they can volunteer to help with sick, at very little danger to themselves. They would still have to wash their hands and clothes, and take precautions to avoid bringing viruses into contact with vulnerable people.

• Reports are coming in that some defense Northern Command units are being called to the underground Cheyenne Mountain command center to wait out the Covid-19 pandemic after being screened and tested -

Most submarine units have long since been told to stay at sea.

Talk about lockdown.

• Official Post

There are other curious, to say the least, indirect data, as the 1,2 million above average pneumonia cases in China in december 2019, and the fact that Chinese telecom industry reports a net loss of 21 million cell phone contracts and 840 thousands fixed line users in the last 4 months.

We will probably never know the true extent of the covid-19 problem in China, as we never did lnow the true human lives lost in the unfamous Tiananmen incident decades ago.

• Official Post

New modelling of the pandemic from the 'top team' at Imperial college, Report 13 ( unlucky for some) March 30th.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc…isease-analysis/covid-19/

And video report from the team leader.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Good news: more and more trials and investigations of hydroxychloroquine combined with azithromycin. More good results from Dr. Raoult, supposedly but far from the blinded, matched, large study with diverse patients which is needed.

Not so good news: Dr. Raoult's accuracy and integrity have been called into question before:

To summarize, there are a number of papers published from his lab over the years that have some of the better-known publication sins: duplication of photomicrographs, photoshopped blots. One of these in 2006 was egregious enough that Raoult and several of his co-authors were banned from publishing in any ASM (American Society for Microbiology) journals for a year. He was angry enough about this that he has almost never published in an ASM journal since the incident.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/p…hromycin-and-on-dr-raoult

There's more but I think it's made moot by the other studies ongoing. And if it turns out HCQ+Azi is a good therapy, then Dr. Raoult made a good contribution regardless of all the other stuff about him.

My suspicion: the treatment will be useful but how useful it will be and when it should be employed and for whom remain to be determined. As always, if you suspect infection,consult your own health professional.

Reports are coming in that some defense Northern Command units are being called to the underground Cheyenne Mountain command center to wait out the Covid-19 pandemic after being screened and tested -

That makes a little sense but not all that much. With 80%++ survival and a very active epidemic, it will soon be possible to choose soldiers who got the disease and then recovered for some of the more critical assignments. They would presumably not only not be carrying the disease (test them) but would also be at least partly immune (which soon will be widely testable as well).

OT: Having said that, I sometimes listen to local air traffic control (it's soothing while working, sunbathing, etc.) and military flights locally (listening to SoCal Approach) are way up. I am guessing training and reposition but can't tell from listening-- it's just airplanes flying around... lot's of transport helicopters such as Ospreys and fighter/interceptors like F-18's and F-35's. You can usually tell the type from the call sign and published tables on the internet.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.