Covid-19 (WuFlu) News

• Did you see the Iranian health minister probably infect a whole room full of people at a press conference? He was obviously ill, wiping his forehead about a dozen times, and his nose many times during the conference. He confirmed he is infected the next day.

• For people with a science account: https://www.sciencedirect.com/…abs/pii/S0166354220300528

The weapon origin of covid-19...

Wasn't able to read the full article but the abstract says in part,

Despite a high similarity with the genome sequence of SARS-CoV and SARS-like CoVs, we identified a peculiar furin-like cleavage site in the Spike protein of the 2019-nCoV, lacking in the other SARS-like CoVs. In this article, we discuss the possible functional consequences of this cleavage site in the viral cycle, pathogenicity and its potential implication in the development of antivirals.

Does this imply genetic manipulation in a laboratory? I don't know, but would like to know more if you have other info. It 's interesting to me that the first known case of infection on Dec 1 had no known association with a meat market, nor did at least ten others of the earliest cases.

• I have been in touch with elderly Japanese friends in Sapporo and other hot spots. They are staying at home as much as possible. I would recommend buying some staples like a large bag of rice (which is what we Japanese people eat three meals a day), and some extra bottles of Clorox bleach cleaner, in case someone in your family comes down with it. You want to eat separately and wash doorknobs and things like that often.

The Japanese national government and some local governments have opened hot line numbers and advised people who think they might have the virus to NOT go to the hospital, unless they are in dire condition. Call first. A nurse may be sent to your house to test you, or you will be asked to go to the hospital at a specific time of day when the waiting room is cleared out of other patients. These are sensible steps. This is the kind of thing we would do in the U.S. if we had a healthcare system worthy of the name.

You might want to wash your hands before you come in the house, with a hose and lots of soap. My father's earliest memory was his father during the 1918 epidemic coming in the basement door, taking a shower, and changing his clothes. Not a bad idea.

• Seriously, it would be interesting to see how many people in the room are infected. It is clear case of exposure for given length of time at a given distance.

Look for the video of the same deputy minister later that evening of the press conference, on a talk show, coughing into his hands such that host remarked on it, to which he replied (translated) “Perhaps I should do it like this”, while demonstrating coughing into his inner elbow.