Covid-19 News

• Note the numbers used in the article are bogus, at least for Switzerland, where the number shown is closer to the number of tests per day, not to the total number of tests carried until now, which is 50-100 times higher, even at the date the article was published. Here in Switzerland we do about 2000 tests a day, for a population of 8-9 mios. Also we started testing relatively early thanks to the rapid availability of the Roche RT-PCR test.

This high number of tests may look impressive at first sight, probably the world highest per resident, however since last Friday the number of people with symptoms exceed by far our capacity not to test but to collect samples. The challenge is not about the analytical capacity (as in other countries) but about the collection capacity because collection by qualified personnel takes time with important safety precautions, not saying some pressure on the availability of nasal swabs. The reason why I'm now recommending the switch to at home self blood tests, this at least to know when people under quarantine should be discharged. China is again doing right with now using the IgG and IgM antibodies test as the main tool to discharge patients regardless if they tested positive or not to the RT-PCR test.

This does not change though the overall message of the article that yes the mortality rate numbers do depend on the testing strategy and that current estimate by WHO at 3.4% is most likely too high given the high number of asymptomatic subjects.

• Official Post

https://www.nature.com/article…bmKPqkjYnxyZU3eLDiMIL-ias

Abstract

The complete genome of a novel coronavirus was sequenced directly from the cloacal swab of a Canada goose that perished in a die-off of Canada and Snow geese in Cambridge Bay, Nunavut, Canada. Comparative genomics and phylogenetic analysis indicate it is a new species of Gammacoronavirus, as it falls below the threshold of 90% amino acid similarity in the protein domains used to demarcate Coronaviridae. Additional features that distinguish the genome of Canada goose coronavirus include 6 novel ORFs, a partial duplication of the 4 gene and a presumptive change in the proteolytic processing of polyproteins 1a and 1ab.

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Australian passport in China goes for jog in Beijing

Publically shamed

Loses job with Bayer,, victim of 人肉 .. cyber manhunt

• So go ahead and read the article. Then answer this: "if the mortality could be as low as a bad flu season as they say, are the draconian, economy killing steps we are undertaking, proportional to the threat?"

I welcome the day when very citizen is trained and has their own home test for infection, of whatever kind. Imagine, no more guessing if we're infected with something. Each citizen would have the responsibility to self isolate if there was a problem, or mask up and get to the doctor. The rest are free to be out and about. Put the responsibility on the individual, not heavy handed state mandates that are inappropriate for over 90 percent of the population, and crippling to the economy and social life. (I couldn't believe that the French are now requiring citizens to carry a certain paper when they are out on the streets. Mon Dieu! )

Still, Covid19 is bad. Influenza strikes perhaps 10 percent of the population each year. Of those, .1 percent will die. Covid19 is perhaps 5 times more lethal, and perhaps 3 times more contagious. Influenza is very seasonal. Covid19 is probably year long, even though it will likely be dampened by warmer, more humid weather. So Covid19 is perhaps 3 times more persistent through the year than Influenza. Multiplying it all out, Covid19 is 5 x 3 x 3 =~ 50 times as bad as influenza in the year it strikes, severely stressing our medical system. Hopefully in perhaps two years it won't be a concern, unlike influenza.

Progress in medicine has been disappointing, imo. Maybe pandemics like CoVid19 will be a wake up call. Relatively speaking, there is not much money to be made in acute disease. Big pharma prefers more chronic conditions, coincidentally the very thing that is plaguing us more now than before, especially auto immune disorders. This applies most notably even to children. Something is messing with their immune systems so early in life. Wonder what that could be.

We need a rescue from 21st century medieval medicine. Enjoy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

https://www.nature.com/article…39373-e09b649635-44567417

'Testing vaccines and medicines without taking the time to fully understand safety risks could bring unwarranted setbacks during the current pandemic, and into the future. The public’s willingness to back quarantines and other public-health measures to slow spread tends to correlate with how much people trust the government’s health advice. A rush into potentially risky vaccines and therapies will betray that trust and discourage work to develop better assessments. Despite the genuine need for urgency, the old saying holds: measure twice, cut once.'

• Wrong to be over cautious though. If some risk was never taken no vaccines or antibiotics would have ever been developed. Sure!y the benefits of hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin, favivlavir, remdesivir outweigh a few manageable side effects? Then again China and S Korea have their epidemic under control using both screening tests and treatment. But Italy is a disaster waiting to happen here unless treatment is brought in ASAP.

• Wife and I, (both well into our 60’s), have had many of the above symptoms.

Mine manifested as headache for 4-5 days and am: nausea, hers as runny nose and hot flashes, slight headache.

We are hunkering down playing pinochle,

(I’m losing big).

Have not been to Dr. yet, wondering if we should even go.

West of Chicago, with one eye open we wait

• So go ahead and read the article. Then answer this: "if the mortality could be as low as a bad flu season as they say, are the draconian, economy killing steps we are undertaking, proportional to the threat?"

This is wrong on many levels.

The mortality rate in Korea, the best country, is now ~1%. That's ten times worse than a bad flu season. Furthermore, 43% of Americans get a seasonal flu shot, and most of them are either immune or they have only a mild case. So that's about 14 times worse mortality than a bad flu season. Furthermore, with seasonal flu, the vaccinated 43% give the rest of the population a measure of herd immunity. So even if the cononavirus was only 0.1%, if it is not checked, 100% of the population will be vulnerable instead of 57%, so the economic impact would be larger.

The mortality rate in Korea and Japan is low because every patient is cared for, and there still ICU beds available. They can sustain the present daily number of patients indefinitely, without straining their hospital or ICU capacity. When the hospitals are swamped with people, the mortality rate goes much higher. The hospitals are swamped in Italy, and in 2 weeks they will be in the U.S. Korea is at 1% because they have hospital beds available. If the U.S. rate does not change, by April 12 there will be million new cases per day. All of the hospitals in the world could not accommodate that. The mortality rate will be ~3%, because most patients will not be cared for.

I do not think these steps are draconian. I myself would far rather stay in my house for a month than get seriously ill with the coronavirus. Even seasonal flu is no joke. It once sent me to the hospital for a week. I realize that many people cannot work, or they have to take care of children, but with unemployment insurance they can be okay. When the crisis began and the Japanese government closed the schools, they immediately put in place 70% unemployment insurance for anyone who got sick or had to stay home to take care of a family member. As far as I know, it lasts until the crisis is over. We could do that, and eliminate nearly all personal financial hazard. Tax the rich and the corporations to pay for it.

Even if these steps are draconian, they are the only sane alternative now. If we do not do them, millions of people per day will get sick, and thousands per day will die. But the need for these drastic steps was not caused by the virus. That's the key thing. This is not a symptom of the virus. It is a symptom of stupidity. It was caused by anti-science, anti-intellectual attitudes and gross ignorance. We could have easily avoided the draconian steps entirely, by doing what they did in Korea and Japan. The Chinese had to use draconian methods because they were first, and they were unprepared. Korea and Japan learned from them, and prepared. They will not experience gigantic economic jolts. They are free, democratic societies. The citizens are going along with the steps willingly, without complaint. No one considers things like drive-in testing "draconian" or onerous. Because they implemented unemployment insurance, few individuals are suffering financially. Because they have national health care, everyone is taken care of, and no one avoids the doctor because they cannot afford healthcare, so no one is out working and spreading the virus. Whereas in the U.S., 90 million people will do that. The steps now being taken in Italy, France, Spain and the U.S. were only necessary because our leaders and our citizens are idiots. We brought this catastrophe on ourselves. We could have avoided it.

• A rush into potentially risky vaccines and therapies will betray that trust and discourage work to develop better assessments.

That is a sensible policy for now. But, if the present steps fail and we have a million new cases per day in mid-April, and ~1,000 deaths per day, that will no longer be a sensible policy. If that happens, I think they should immediately begin widespread vaccination on large groups of volunteers, to see if the vaccine works. I realize that is a risky thing to do, but letting a thousand people die per day is not risky, it is catastrophic. It will lead to millions of deaths in the U.S. Risking the health of a group of volunteers is worth the trade-off. I would volunteer immediately, if I were asked.

The present steps have had no effect in the U.S. The rate is actually increasing. Perhaps it is too soon to see the curve start to flatten. It appears to be flattening in Italy, Spain and the UK, thank goodness.

• Here is another opinion from the people that know stats:

The title is:

"A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data"

That is completely wrong. The experts in China, Korea and Japan now have highly reliable data. They have it for tens of thousands of patients, and hundreds of thousands of healthy people who were tested. The data covers many weeks of illness. That is a long time in this case, because this illness seldom lasts longer than 2 weeks. (It would not be useful if this lasted for months or years, as some diseases do.) People either recover or die more quickly than the timespan of this data. The data covers every age range and state of health. It covers people who got the best ICU care available, and people who could not be cared for because the hospitals in China were initially swamped. So this data is statistically significant in every dimension, for every purpose.

Let me rewrite that headline to reflect reality: "We in the United State are making decisions without reliable data because we are ignoring the Chinese, Korean and Japanese data, along with their recommendations. What is worse, we using the garbage data from the U.S. healthcare system, which is worse than the Iranian data, according to the director of the Harvard Global Health Institute. He said, 'This is an unmitigated disaster that the administration has brought upon the population.'"

• Not sure South Korea can be used as a realistic sample for any of this.

There is 0 human foot/vehicle traffic crossing borders from different counties into SK, it’s a peninsula, like Florida, only smaller, about the size of Indiana.

The only way for people/good/services to get into SK is by plane or boat.

When the virus was 1st detected in SK, it is much easier to halt and quarantine air traffic and boat traffic.

This type of containment would not be possible in say, Indiana, or anywhere in the US save Hawaii.

One aspect is for sure, we’re gonna learn a lot about recognition, reaction and mobilization after this.

• Official Post

You were around for the 2009/2010 Swine Flu pandemic. In the early days of it, were you as alarmed of it's potential mortality, espousing the same "shut everything down" approach as you are now? I am curious, because I have read up on that pandemic.

In the pre-Pandemic stages of the swine flu, it was equally as scary. Possibly more so, as the virus targeted the young, while now it is the old and infirm. In the end, 60 million US citizens contracted the disease, with ~13,000 fatalities. Even knowing that *after the fact*, those are scary numbers. But amazingly, the national response was cavalier in contrast to the COVID19.

There was no talk of shutting down commerce, and no government edicts imposed to enforce social distancing. There were words of assurance that, if this gets out of hand, they were at the ready to take action, but none were taken. Sure, some schools opted on their own to close, but hardly anything of note.

Hard to believe, but the medias response was ho-hum. CNN/NYT's reported on W.H.O. declaring an epidemic, and after 10 days there was very little mention of it.

As a result, there was no panic, no run on toilet papers, stock markets hardly reacted, people went about there daily business. None of this pants on fire, knee jerk reaction, that today puts us on the verge of a global recession.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.