Experimental Instrument For Rydberg Matter Research (University of Iceland)

• Rob Woudenberg

Perhaps having the chamber coated with materials and at temperatures where the H(0) produced is not superfluid could help:

https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4947276

Polymer and amorphous-material barriers also seem to work towards constricting/limiting superfluid H(0) flow along selected areas:

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.4729078

Their usage was also discussed in Holmlid's patent applications.

https://patents.google.com/patent/EP2680271A1/en

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2018093312A1/en

However it's not clear to me if to produce the non-superfluid H(0) one needs it to be at least initially in a superfluid form, or in other words if conditions which would prevent superfluid H(0) to form would prevent all types of H(0) from forming at all. There appears to be such suggestion in the general review posted last year.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1402-4896/ab1276

A magnetic field stronger than 0.05 T prevents the formation of H(0) (Andersson et al 2012). Thus the formation of the chain clusters is inhibited by the magnetic field. Since these clusters possibly are involved in the formation of the small clusters H3(0) and H4(0), the density of small clusters may also decrease strongly in a magnetic field.

(the chain clusters are the superfluid ones)

• However it's not clear to me if to produce the non-superfluid H(0) one needs it to be at least initially in a superfluid form.

The short clusters are the desired ones of course.

Something to focus on when new publications become available indeed.

It's speculation but it could be that both chain and short clusters are formed under the same conditions simultaneously.

The influence of a strong enough magnetic field is an interesting one that needs further research.

Could be that a specific magnetic field strenght influences the cluster size when being formed.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1402-4896/ab1276 also says :

"However, they (small clusters) exist in slightly weaker fields where they can be formed from chain clusters as shown in figure 18."

• With respect to control I am quite suprised that triggering H(0) by a laser pulse isn't causing an avalanche effect.

Fusion never works as an avelanche process due to the energy release.

Mills gets H*-H* as filaments but most likely only cluster clusters of H* can directly fuse to 4-He because the resonant bonds must be at least from 9H*. I guess the trick is to migrate H*-H* from the catalyst to an ultra flat Pd foil that allows the formation of clusters.

• Fusion never works as an avelanche process due to the energy release.

Mills gets H*-H* as filaments but most likely only cluster clusters of H* can directly fuse to 4-He because the resonant bonds must be at least from 9H*. I guess the trick is to migrate H*-H* from the catalyst to an ultra flat Pd foil that allows the formation of clusters.

Thanks for stepping in.

But then why is Holmlid mentioning (as pointed out by  can)

"A laser pulse is one type of disturbance which can initiate this process. When the process has started, it can continue until the material is depleted. This is not unlikely, since the excess energy from the fusion itself will excite other neighboring clusters which trigger the transfer to the s = 1 level, giving further nuclear processes."

• "A laser pulse is one type of disturbance which can initiate this process. When the process has started, it can continue until the material is depleted. This is not unlikely, since the excess energy from the fusion itself will excite other neighboring clusters which trigger the transfer to the s = 1 level, giving further nuclear processes."

We do not yet know to what extent the field produced by the fusion reaction promotes more UDH to shine up. If e.g. the hosting foil is Pd then a part of the energy goes into Pd. That's what we see in LENR.

• We do not yet know to what extent the field produced by the fusion reaction promotes more UDH to shine up. If e.g. the hosting foil is Pd then a part of the energy goes into Pd. That's what we see in LENR.

After some thoughts:

The energy produced by UDH according to Holmlid's experiments is not only caused by fusion reactions.

There is also energy caused by the high energy particles themselves (heat and charge) that are released by triggering UDH by laser pulses.

These high energy particles may also trigger UDH causing an avalanche effect .

• Closer to 2 million USD spend over the period of 2016 - 2019, but probably also inclucing 3 (part-time) FTE salaries.

It seems this project has been finalized. Question is whether funding continues or not.

I am looking forward to Sindre's thesis.

• The energy produced by UDH according to Holmlid's experiments is not only caused by fusion reactions.

There is also energy caused by the high energy particles themselves (heat en charge) that are released by triggering UDH by laser pulses.

These high energy particles may also trigger UDH causing an avalanche effect .

Of course more detailed research is needed and this is just speculation.

The fact is: Splitting a proton into Kaons needs at least 53MeV and this energy is carried away from the reaction zone! Thus this step consumes exactly the fusion energy of 8H --> 2 4-He.

If there are small asymmetries, as some experiments do show, then 3-He is also produced in an larger amounts and more excess energy may stay local. An avalanche is basically limited by the UDH cluster size except the field is far more stronger than we expect.

From a physical point of view it is much more likely that excess energy destroys local UDH because the excess energy refills the orbits. But... SO(4) physics shows that also the excess form of UDH can work the same way as UDH as it can induce UDH again. But for this Holmlid would need not measure Xrays in the range of 500eV to 16keV what I did ask for since a long time.

• Isn't the other reason for not having a fusion avalanche effect 'alfa sticking'?

If I look at general decriptions of 'muon catalysed fusion' one muon creates another muon in its turn, but not all, due to 'alfa sticking'.

This means one muon causes limited chain reaction, estimated 100 - 300 cycles.

• If I look at general decriptions of 'muon catalysed fusion' one muon creates another muon in its turn, but not all, due to 'alfa sticking'.

Not exactly: The muon is conserved and looses some 3-6 MeV/fusion reaction. But a muon at rest has a very short live time and it takes some time to find new candidates (e.g. H-H/ D-D ) to fuse.

• In particular sections II, III and V are of interest.

If you like to do it: But the SM model he uses in (III) is nonsensical as quarks are virtual particles and by no mean explain what happens. Also his approach to get the radius is basically empirical and physically not correct.

The fusion power prediction could in fact be done very precisely if he would be able to exactly measure the muon spectrum. But without it's speculative also because we have no exact number (muons) that must come from a strictly uni directional flux not from a 4π space angle extrapolation. (And do not forget muons must be u- !!). Let's wait until Sindre has some better data. E.g. about the 4-He (3-He) production that would exactly explain how much energy the photons will deliver.

• My previous post was deleted because I made some fatal editorial changes unfortunately.

In essence I wondered two things:

• Why bother fusion while the energy of mesons created is 15 to 30 times that of D+D fusion after firing a laser pulse at UDD?
      Holmlid indicates that triggering D(0) gives 390 MeV to the three mesons ejected from each pair of protons and approx. 200 MeV is released by decaying mesons, while D+D fusion releases 'only' 14 MeV.
    • Why would D(0)+D(0) not be a mentioned option for fusion?

Regarding the second bullet:

Interatomic distance within D(0) is 2.3 pm according Holmlid.

Muon catalyzed D+D fusion is caused by a change of interatomic distance from 106 pm to 0.56 pm, triggered by a negative muon, followed by instant fusion.

So the question arrises how much energy is required to cause D(0)+D(0) to fuse.

Holmlid (and also Sindre) has indicated that spontaneous generation of high energy particles can occur from UDH/UDD.

Even small amount of surrounding luminance seems to trigger it. Could this be caused by spontaneous D(0)+D(0) fusion?

• Rob Woudenberg

From what I understand, a possible reason for bothering with D+D muon-catalyzed fusion could be that the precursor mesons are difficult to capture efficiently before they decay to muons. In a calorimetric study in 2015 where a thick copper cylinder was used, this seemed to be a problem. https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.4928572 (open access)

This issue was also cited in https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.4928109 (paywalled)

In our thermal (calorimetric) laser-induced fusion experiments in D(0) (in press), a substantial fraction of the total particle energy from the fusion process was not measurable. It was leaking out in an unidentified way, apparently as penetrating particles but not as neutrons. A search was then initiated to identify gamma radiation or other high-energy particles. This resulted in detection of very intense beta-like energy spectra and line spectra due to muons. It appears likely that many small-scale fusion test systems emit muons, and it is thus important to understand how to selectively detect muons with high sensitivity. Progress in this direction is now reported.

But since then, Holmlid has changed his ideas a bit on the beta-like processes observed from the muons, i.e. they are not (mainly, at least) due to muon capture processes: https://www.researchgate.net/p…by_lepton_pair-production

Holmlid has sometimes mentioned that the superfluid H(0) efficiently collects energy from the environment and external stimuli, even indirectly. For example here (but also in previously published papers): https://www.researchgate.net/p…by_lepton_pair-production

The effect of the laser photons has been studied in numerous laser-induced time-of-flight experiments [11,12,14,15,16]. Since H(0) is superfluid [42,43], the laser light does not have to directly hit the material at the place of meson ejection. Instead, long-range energy transport is possible in this material.

• Interatomic distance within D(0) is 2.3 pm according Holmlid.

Muon catalyzed D+D fusion is caused by a change of interatomic distance from 106 pm to 0.56 pm, triggered by a negative muon, followed by instant fusion.

So the question arrises how much energy is required to cause D(0)+D(0) to fuse?

Holmlid's publication "Leptons from decay of mesons in the laser-induced particle pulse from ultra-dense protium p(0)" somewhat addresses a (theoretical) answer to this question:

"The measured H–H distances are short, normally 2.3 pm.1,3,9 Several spin states with different internuclear distances exist.3 It is likely that the main process initiated by the impinging

laser pulse is a transition from level s = 2 with H–H distance of 2.3 pm, to level s = 1 with theoretical distance 0.56 pm.3,20 At this distance, nuclear reactions are spontaneous and laser-induced nuclear processes are thus relatively easy to start. In muon catalyzed fusion, the D–D distance is of similar size, and the rate of fusion is close to 109 s−1.19 If a transition to level s = 1 can take place spontaneously, a spontaneous nuclear process is possible, similar to the ones often named LENR."

• Why would D(0)+D(0) not be a mentioned option for fusion?

I think that Holmlid believes that the inter atomic forces are Coulombic..only

because that is what he bases his TOF data to interatomic distance conversion on..?

there is still the traditional Coulomb barrier that results from this Coulombic assumption to be tunnelled thru

which presumptively is unlikely for two D(O) nuclei

which is why he needs a negative Muon..?

catalysed-muon hydrogen fusion has some literature

DT-muon and DD- muon do give very small but signficant fusion rates.( by high T collision

I think Holmlid is using the same traditional assumptions..

• there is still the traditional Coulomb barrier that results from this Coulombic assumption to be tunnelled thru

which presumptively is unlikely for two D(O) nuclei

which is why he needs a negative Muon..?

There are two possible fusion causes IMHO:

1) A changing spinning state from s= 2 to s=1 initiated by a laser pulse. According to Holmlid's data this would cause H(0) nuclei to become close enough (0.56 pm) to fuse.

2) Negative muons, initially generated from cause 1)

Holmlid is carefully avoiding the word 'fusion' here. He probably needs more verifications to be a bit more determined.

And, indeed, his analyses are based on conventional Quantum Physics.

I would love to see him giving feedback on Wyttenbach papers. But I don't think that is going to happen soon.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.