Experimental Instrument For Rydberg Matter Research (University of Iceland)

• Only the Swedish patent is Granted. The other patent application family members are pending:

Patent (application) number(s)Inventor(s)Assignee(s)Status
    SE539684,
    WO2018093312, EP3542370 (main other patent application family members)
    Leif HolmlidUltrafusion Nuclear Power UNP AB,
    Norront Fusion Energy A.S.
    Granted (Sweden 2017-10-31),
    patent family status

Others of interest:
    NO20180245 (Norway only)Dag Herman Zeiner-Gundersen,
    Sindre André Zeiner-Gundersen
    Dag Herman Zeiner-Gundersen,
    Sindre André Zeiner-Gundersen
    Pending
  • "own publications.."

that is a problem that Sindre will also have.. and that Mills also has.

The Chinese publication on Rydberg potassium matter was theoretical only

But as the patent examiner points out

the main problem is that the evidence for the dense hydrogen state is thin... it needs some triangulation .. other evidence

the measurement of the properties of the dense hydrogen state

- density,magnetic moment? is an experimental challenge

Mills has not yet achieved that although he has characterised a ~500 Ev formation engy output for what he calls

the H2(1/4) dimer..

as Wyttenbach has calculated ..the conversion of protons of 938 Mev to Kaons with 991 Mev

just using 2.3 eV of laser enefgy

is impossible by Standard Model Physics..

in addition Holmlid is not a theoretical physicist and his explanation for the exptal result is vague.

I guess the conventional people at Livermore.. CERN have just dismissed this result ...

and most finance and effort and instruments in nuclear physics are being channelled into conventional projects.

• the main problem is that the evidence for the dense hydrogen state is thin... it needs some triangulation .. other evidence

the measurement of the properties of the dense hydrogen state

- density,magnetic moment? is an experimental challenge

Holmlid's "Meissner Effect in Ultra-Dense Protium p(l = 0, s = 2) at Room Temperature: Superconductivity in Large Clusters of Spin-Based Matter" article may be of help.

There is not much time left to respond to EPO by Holmlid, so let's monitor.

• Good find. This seems to be more severe. Holmlid's references are mainly to his own publications.

Maybe the first publication of Holmlid on UDH/UDD contains some independent references.

I think he might try submitting related works by independent authors on the superconducting properties of hydrogen clusters in porous materials like Pd, or theoretical studies pointing out that hydrogen could form a quantum material similar to what has been observed with UDH, but if the patent office wants fully independent studies on ultra-dense hydrogen H(0) (and nothing else) written by authors who are not or have not been Holmlid's coauthors, then I'm afraid that such studies don't exist yet.

Perhaps some works by Hora–Prelas–Miley could support Holmlid's (from the EPO's point of view), but the occasionally cited "inverted Rydberg matter" description is not up to date anymore with Holmlid's latest thinking.

A couple examples:

http://coldfusioncommunity.net…18/07/234_JCMNS-Vol13.pdf

https://mospace.umsystem.edu/x…esentation.pdf;sequence=1

• Perhaps some works by Hora–Prelas–Miley could support Holmlid's

there is if course Mills.. but he is also not very well cited..support?

Mills' theoretical predictions about H2(1/4) are much more specific about dense H2 than Holmlid's.

Mills has some detiled predictions of magnetic behaviour based on spin moment..

Like Holmlid .. Mills postulates the dense matter forming aggregates in Ch.16 of GUTCP..

but Holmlid has

hydrogen multimers with the form (H2)N, with N = 7, 14, 19, 37 and 61 (Wang & Holmlid 2000a)

whereas Mills has h2, h2(2) h2(3) h2(4) etc.. where h2 may be his H2(1/4) dimer( the only one he has evidence for)

Also the exptal (131) support reference for Mills has not been published yet..

and the Hagen reference a bit difficult to work out...

EPR or ESR is a bit like NMR... but it may need some $ and expertise to get it to work properly..

It would great to see the (131) evidence some time soon 2020?

• I don't think Holmlid is going to cite Mills. Also the patent office seems to want independent studies about ultra-dense hydrogen or well-accepted theoretical studies justifying its existence, not similar aggregates that could themselves be regarded as not independently confirmed.

• Speaking of papers, here's a freshly published one with Sindre Zeiner-Gundersen as a co-author:

Future interstellar rockets may use laser-induced annihilation reactions for relativistic drive

Leif Holmlid, Sindre Zeiner-Gundersen

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actaastro.2020.05.034

Something made me wondering regarding their calculations:

"The two protons have a total mass of 1.88 GeV while the three kaon products have total mass of 1.49 GeV. Thus 390 MeV is given to the kaons, or 130 MeV per kaon on average equal to 250 MeV u−1. This corresponds to 0.61 c on average, including relativistic effects. This velocity is a factor of seven higher than for D + D fusion. The most common decay of the charged kaons gives a muon and a muon neutrino, with excess energy of 387 MeV. This gives an average energy of 194 MeV to the muon or a velocity of 0.94 c. "

I don't understand why decay of Kaons to muon/muon neutrino would contribute to rocket thrust. Decay will occur after the Kaons have left the thruster, so there is no pushback to the rocket by muons.

In my view only the kinetic energy of the produced Kaons can be used to push the rocket. Meaning the maximum velocity saturates at 0.61c. What am I missing?

• Rob Woudenberg

It seems they are considering an ideal scenario where the hypothetical interstellar rocket could be engineered so that that high-energy particles emitted by the reaction—possibly also those decaying at some distance from the laser target—could advantageously reflect off thick layers of H(0) and still contribute to the thrust.

Many of the particles formed can penetrate far through normal materials, thus an equal number of particles may be ejected in all directions giving no directed thrust. The simple inherent solution to this is to see to that thick layers of ultra-dense hydrogen are formed on the target which prevents the penetration by reflecting the mesons from these layers. This effect was studied for ions in Refs. [25].

• I just noticed Norront have put a page on their website about a "Powerplant MK1"

http://www.norrontfusion.com/m…talysed-fusion-powerplant

Build in a standard shipping container.

The initial output energy on the MK1 will be 15 kW but will rise to 500 kW when the tritium level increase in the centralized fusion vessel

The 15 kW is a bit of a suprise to me as this conflicts with numbers given by Holmlid's paper "Existing Source for Muon-Catalyzed Nuclear Fusion Can Give Megawatt Thermal Fusion Generator".

For comparison: the central gas heater in my Dutch home has a nominal power output of 22 kW.

Looks like they did not want to include power caused by meson decay although this design includes a 'muon thermalizer'.

This does not look like a wise promotion.

• The 15 kW is a bit of a surprise to me as this conflicts with numbers given by Holmlid's paper "Existing Source for Muon-Catalyzed Nuclear Fusion Can Give Megawatt Thermal Fusion Generator".

For comparison: the central gas heater in my Dutch home has a nominal power output of 22 kW.

Looks like they did not want to include power caused by meson decay although this design includes a 'muon thermalizer'.

This does not look like a wise promotion.

That paper mentions too a starting 15 kW output power, excluding the energy from the initial mesons (eq. 5, section V).

https://www.tandfonline.com/do…080/15361055.2018.1546090

But then Holmlid also states that the power of the decay of the initial mesons would be 220 kW (eq. 7), which on a first sight doesn't make the complications from having to deal with tritium to reach higher outputs (slowly over time) very attractive. Also, protium (ordinary hydrogen) would work too, as even the latest paper on the interstellar rocket points out.

...unless producing tritium in large amounts is actually the point.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.