ITER the criminal history of todays physics

• https://www.forbes.com/sites/s…cle-physics/#538a94b14165

Not ITER, but Ethan Siegel makes the case for a 4x's bigger collider than the LHC at CERN. One reason is to "maintain the expertise of the scientists that have devoted their lives to experimental particle physics at the energy frontier." Noble cause, but worth it?

Perhaps we should let the ITER establishment fight with the CERN/particle physics establishment to see who deserves our copious tax dollars more. Having worked in the Cornell Synchrotron, I would pick particle physics. But I was an undergrad working in the mid 80's so maybe they should have discovered more by now.

• Perhaps we should let the ITER establishment fight with the CERN/particle physics establishment to see who deserves our copious tax dollars more. Having worked in the Cornell Synchrotron, I would pick particle physics. But I was an undergrad working in the mid 80's so maybe they should have discovered more by now.

Wait . . . Discovered more?? Discovered? When you said "fight" I was thinking more along the lines of an arm wrestling competition. Or nude mud wrestling. That would be more amusing, don't you think? As a Cornell grad I know which side I would root for!

Don't send my boy to Ha-a-arvard, the dying mother said.

Don't send my boy to Syracuse, I'd rather see him dead.

Just send my boy to Princeton, or better still Cornell.

But as for Pennsylvani-yay, I'd see him first in Hell.

To hell, to hell with Pennsylvania.

To hell with Pennsylvania.

To hell with the U. of P. - P.U.!

- Fighting song of 1938. Or so I've heard.

• Yes, we used to sing something very close to that at my fraternity formals!

• Wait . . . Discovered more?? Discovered? When you said "fight" I was thinking more along the lines of an arm wrestling competition. Or nude mud wrestling. That would be more amusing, don't you think?

I was thinking more about high tech weapons, like the particle folks can fire sychrotron radiation at the ITER boys, and ITER can respond by melting their accelerators with escaping plasma and neutron flux. But anything nude works too.

• Yes, we used to sing something very close to that at my fraternity formals!

Where "formal" means . . . informal, I guess.

I was thinking more about high tech weapons, like the particle folks can fire sychrotron radiation at the ITER boys, and ITER can respond by melting their accelerators with escaping plasma and neutron flux.

Ah, the Hunger Games approach. And Cornell, per se, is not a player.

Wasn't there some concern at CERN -- CERN concern -- that one of the their experiments might create a black hole which swallows up the earth? That would be a potent weapon. I guess that would be counted as a win. Sort of like thermonuclear war. The experiment struck me as irresponsible. The experts at CERN assured the public that the experiment would not destroy the earth. Just saying that, "don't worry, our black hole won't get out of control" did not sound reassuring. Sort of like: "Don't worry, American made reactors will never melt down again after Three Mile Island. We've learned our lesson."

Before the first atom bomb test at Alamogordo, some theorists worried that the bomb would cause the entire atmosphere of earth to take part in the reaction somehow. They went over the numbers and decided that wouldn't happen. Just the fact that they wondered about it in the first place would have given me the heebie-jeebies.

• Meltdown at ITER is possible

even if they never get the Q=10

according to Brent Oster

Quora...

https://www.quora.com/How-clos…hysics-to-help-this-field

"

, if that cooling fails, the superconductor heats up, quenches, and becomes a normal conductor, and can no longer carry that enormous current.

With 160,000 amps suddenly meeting resistance, the coil rapidly vaporizes, and causes a meltdown of the other coils,

with a total energy release of 12 tons of TNT. This is very undesirable, especially when those coils are wrapped

around a highly radioactive shield that also vaporizes and is expelled into the atmosphere.

There are fault-detection systems, but it takes a while to dissipate that amount of energy safely, and

there may not be enough time to react quickly enough in the event of a catastrophic magnet coil failure.

main-qimg-4f5d2989b396e23c9164ddf1a2994709

So, some gotchas left to solve for practical fusion energy generation with magnetic confinement,

with some perhaps not so easily solved.

• From what I hear there is a new microclimate forming in the Provence area of France, likely caused by CO2 emissions and other caustic polutants like CO, Diesel paticulate matter, and dust from excavation, and noxious farts of ITER construction foreman standing around watching a folly being built. Reminds me of another green project, the California bullet train to nowhere.

• Reminds me of another green project, the California bullet train to nowhere.

(California bullet train) Has been downed by the red/black (reps/oil) mafia. The same people that already 100 years ago bought the L.A. tramways and just eradicated them to kill their enemy = public transportation.

ITER is even worse: Ask or public money to fill the private pockets of construction companies. No a single technology developed for ITER will ever help your live. This was quite different for the NASA space program that had a huge impact on our daily used technology.

• (California bullet train) Has been downed by the red/black (reps/oil) mafia. The same people that already 100 years ago bought the L.A. tramways and just eradicated them to kill their enemy = public transportation.

As someone who has lived in San Diego California for 36 years, and understands the geography, geology (earthquakes and canyons and faults) with engineering experience, and knowledge about the politics of my state, I might have a better understanding of the bullet train and I think I know it has absolutley nothing to do with an oil mafia but instead political waste like ITER. Let me know if you have insider information about my state.

• As someone who has lived in San Diego California for 36 years, and understands the geography, geology (earthquakes and canyons and faults) with engineering experience

Then it should be a piece of cake for you to just give us the engineering report that downed teh project... (Happy search..)

One problem was that the USA has no experince in building such systems...and the Japanes one run over even more critical ground.

• Why The US Has No High-Speed Rail (CNBC on Youtube - 07.05.2019)
    Watch the video to see why the U.S. continues to fail with high-speed trains, and some companies that are trying to fix that.

China has the world’s fastest and largest high-speed rail network — more than 19,000 miles, the vast majority of which was built in the past decade.
    Japan’s bullet trains can reach nearly 200 miles per hour and date to the 1960s.
    They have moved more than 9 billion people without a single passenger causality.
    France began service of the high-speed TGV train in 1981 and the rest of Europe quickly followed.
    But the U.S. has no true high-speed trains, aside from sections of Amtrak’s Acela line in the Northeast Corridor.
    The Acela can reach 150 mph for only 34 miles of its 457-mile span.
    Its average speed between New York and Boston is about 65 mph.
    California’s high-speed rail system is under construction, but whether it will ever get completed as intended is uncertain.

• Official Post

Krivit sums up his years long crusade against ITER, with photos of the accused :

https://news.newenergytimes.ne…ists-dont-want-to-answer/

French Astrophysicist Dr. Jean Pierre Petit campaigned for several years to make people realize of the impracticability of Tokamak type reactors and the impossibility to adequately model plasma instability to avoid the Known type of material failures of Tokamaks. The glaring energy balance problem was also addressed by him. He offered the counterpoint of the much more effective inertial confinement fusion approach and the insanity of keeping the pursue of Tokamaks at massive cost when a practical alternative at a fraction of the costs was already available (z-pinch type confinement fusion facilities as Sandia Labs Z Machine), and offering outstanding thermal output results that would enable direct aneutronic fusion reactions with an approach much more friendly for engineering the operation and energy production.

The continuation of ITER in spite of all the evidence against it ever reaching any degree of functionality is a puzzling and as exasperating as the resistance to LENR research.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.