Hydrogen to Helium Fusion by Neutron Absorption

• Fusion by Neutrons image

https://drive.google.com/file/…YEppyv0d/view?usp=sharing

ITER has a lot of neutrons. The moon is supposed to have a neutron flux based on its surface constantly absorbing cosmic rays and getting transmuted to unstable isotopes as a result. Fission plants have neutrons.

What if you could start with hydrogen-1, absorb a neutron, absorb a neutron again, wait for beta decay, and absorb one more neutron? You would go from H-1 to He-4 while never having to overcome proton-proton repulsion. The second proton "sneaks in" as the second neutron of tritium, then it turns into a proton "for free" if you're patient. The best efficiency would be to start with He-3 and just add the last neutron, but I understand He-3 is not abundant. I did a spreadsheet on this and it wasn't promising, but maybe I was wrong.

Has anyone read about this being studied before? Anyone know where I can find cheap neutrons? Are the absorption cross sections high enough?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.