NASA’s Lattice Confined Fusion (LCF)

• Official Post

The wording on this Bushnell document while new (July 2021), reads like it was written a few years ago. Nothing he goes on to say after this section refers to the newer Forsley/Pines and team hybrid LENR space power generation system.

Ahlfor's claims the program was canceled, but I still am not sure about that.

• Official Post

... "Ahlfor's claims the program was canceled, but I still am not sure about that."

Not exactly so.

I take that to mean you are not "exactly" certain now that the joint NASA/GEC "Development and Testing of a High Power Space Generator" has been canceled or retracted.

Anyway, I emailed Forsley and asked...making it a point to tell him LF member Ahlfor is one of our most reliable sources. Waiting for his reply; if he will be so kind as to give us one.

• Heavily into Widom-Larsen, including transmutations.

This similarity was anticipated by Widom-Larsen theory of LENRs, which has unveiled striking parallels between chemical catalysis and many-body e + p nuclear catalysis

==>The mechanism of Lattice-energy is not SO($) nor EDO but Hidrino.

hidorino is only a hypo and no theoretical study , neither SO(4).

So this many-body e + p nuclear catalysis is actually electron deep orbit theory.

This is incorrect.

The mechanism is more simple.

(A-1) nano-metal particle has the curvature, so the probability of occupation of D at surface T site is higher.

• The authors developed the theory that the metal lattice’s negative electrons screened positively charged deuterons to overcome the electrostatic barrier to achieve nuclear fusion initiated by photoneutrons.

However, this is just the hypo and no theoretical study nor experimental data. And probability of collision of hot d to the stationary d is very low due to its size and coulomb repulsive force.

Thus, I developed the Lattice confinement fusion theory based on bond compression.

As is shown in Fig21(A), because Er-D with very high D density is amorphous, it has no clear lattice structure, and Er-d can be compressed efficiently. However, this reactor is no mechanism to compress the bond, and although author think that gamma-ray cause the fusion, I think that the probability of collision of generated d to the d of Er-d seems to be very low due to the coulomb repulsive force as explained in sec 1.1.3, and so I think that their mechanism is incorrect.

I think that Er-D bond compression due to the larger amount of Er-d which can cause by slight fluctuation of the stress of Er-D film as is shown in Fig.19(A). This compression can occur everywhere in the Ni-D film due to the very high concentration of d, and neutral d, which is tightly bound d and electron pair, can fuse to Er and other neutral d with tightly bound electrons. Because the density of Er-D is large, the excess heat is observed only a small percentage of fusion, however, it mainly fuses to Er and transmute Er to the stable element of 168Tr, 169Tr,179Tr, which indicate that the original purpose of this reactor is to prove the cold fusion mechanism not for the actual reactor for commercial/Space use. Thus, I hope NASA will run the experiment to prove the hydride bond compression theory as is in Fig.19(B).

(PDF) Novel Cold Fusion Reactors based on the real Cold Fusion Mechanism
    PDF | Abstract I review my Cold fusion theory as described below, and I also propose the experiment to prove hydride bond compression theory based on... |…
    www.researchgate.net

• orsova

Yes NASA has been preparing for CMNS energy and is not dropping this pursuit.

This, from 2016, shows that Mars radioisotope nuclear power is replaced with LENR power systems.

NASA/TM–2016-219182

Frontier In-Situ Resource Utilization for Enabling

Sustained Human Presence on Mars

Robert W. Moses and Dennis M. Bushnell

Langley Research Center, Hampton, Virginia

Research on advanced thermionics and LENR to determine their efficacy for Mars missions.

Utilization

These “nuclear” alternatives would enable “distributed/ local nuclear class energy density, orders of magnitude greater than chemical with potentialu utilization for transportation writ large as well as stationary on planet application.

• NASA / Los Alamos July 2021

Theresa Benyo, Lawrence P. Forsley: MCNP Fusion Modeling of Electron Screened Ions

[Repetita juvant: "However, neither NASA nor LBNL were able to model lattice confinement fusion nuclear reactions with MCNP (or GEANT-4)"]

• However, neither NASA nor LBNL were able to model lattice confinement fusion nuclear reactions

No worries..

just add in the LCF enhancement factor f(E)

and state "electron screening enhances fusion rates by 10 orders of magnitude"

At least it works in a slideshow,,

the important thing is the results..not the theory

. did NASA actually see a ten orders of magnitude increase

in reaction rates over 'expected'?... that is unclear

• Official Post

Anyway, I emailed Forsley and asked...making it a point to tell him LF member Ahlfor is one of our most reliable sources. Waiting for his reply; if he will be so kind as to give us one.

The "Development and Testing of High Power Space Generators" may have been affected by COVID (as have other projects), but it has not been canceled, or retracted.

Thank you Larry for the quick response.

• Perhaps this is where Forsley needs to go to get to the stars..

Per nano ad astra..

"Recent research in Japan via long and careful experimentation, has proven that a major
    “missing controlled parameter” in the decades now of previous LENR research is the
    requirement for nano sized discrete surface morphology. As already noted, that enables
    localized energy concentration by orders of magnitude. Major organizations (including Google)
    are now conducting research aimed at understanding and sorting out sensitivities and
    optimization. The major issues going forward include development of a viable, proven theory to
    allow engineering, scaling, and safety. Given that, which at this point appears to be a work in
    progress, much with regard to power and energy could change, for
    climate/transportation/HVAC, energy costs overall, and in-space for propulsion, habs, ISRU, on
    body transportation.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.