NASA’s Lattice Confined Fusion (LCF)

• Official Post

NASA confirms neutron emission from Pd-D co deposition experiments, bringing LENR closer to mainstream acceptance.

Excellent news to all our members and readers!

In a paper published January 19th, 2021 on the electronic version of the Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, Authored by a team of NASA researchers belonging to the "Lattice Confinement Fusion" project (seated at Glenn Space Research Center), is shown that an experiment, designed specifically to disambiguate the detection of neutron emissions from Pd-heavy water electrolytical cells, has been able to prove the emissions exist. This has been confirmed against a control treatment with Cu-D co deposition, which showed less neutron emissions, assumed to be equal to the background level.

The authors also observed that the intensity of the emissions seems to be related to the morphology of the Pd deposition in the gold electrodes used for the experiments.

https://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S1572665721000503-gr7.jpg

Cumulative counts of neutrons for Experimental vs Control cells during the 20 days experiment.

This kind of emissions have been reported previously by other research groups and recorded in other kind of neutron detectors (typically CR-39 polymer). But the use of CR-39 as neutron detector has resulted in controversy, due to the proven sensitivity of this material to mechanical damage.

In the current work, bubble detectors were used, which are widespread accepted for the detection of neutrons.

pasted-from-clipboard.png

Polymeric neutron detectors used in this new experimental research.

The statistical analysis proves that the experimental cells with Pd-D co deposition on the cathode emitted significant more neutrons than the control cells, and that this emission was increased from day 9 onwards of the 20 days experiment.

https://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S1572665721000503-ga1_lrg.jpg

Visual summary of the research performed to publish the paper. In average, the experimental treatment generated 60% more neutrons than the control, which is assumed to be the background level.

https://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S1572665721000503-gr3.jpg

Experimental cells used in the recently published research paper, conducted at NASA's Glenn Space Research Center.

The researchers did not focus on excess heat, as this has been proven to be hard to reproduce and measure as it occurs in bursts. However, in the highlights of the electronic version of the paper, the authors are emphatic that "Neutron activity cannot be explained by chemical reactions, only nuclear processes", thus confirming these neutrons are indicative of LENR in the experimental set up.

The authors, given their parallel work in Lattice Confinement Fusion and concurrent publications in this topic, conjecture that the denditric formations, observed in the more active neutron emitting cells, are key to generate the current density that in turn creates the opportunity for the electron screening process.

The electron screening is the phenomena observed and theorized in the Lattice Confinement Fusion papers (within Erbium and Titanium) that this group has already published in the second half of 2020, and that have raised considerable attention from media and general public.

https://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S1572665721000503-gr8.jpg

Aspect of the Pd deposition in the most active neutron emitter (a), an average neutron emitter (b) and below average neutron emitter (c) cells, note the conspicuous dendrites in the most active cell.

You can join the discussion of this important paper this same thread:

NASA’s updated Lattice Assisted Nuclear Fusion revamped site (Have Fleischmann and Pons been finally vindicated?)

And read a complimentary version of the paper in the following link:

https://www.lenr-forum.com/att…-by-bubble-detectors-pdf/

• Official Post

I am opening this thread because it kind of flew under the radar, but I honestly think this is major news, and we really need to pay attention to this development.

In its new revamped Lattice Confinement Fusion page, NASA is openly admitting that fusion can happen “at room temperature” in a metal lattice.

https://www1.grc.nasa.gov/spac…ttice-confinement-fusion/

“Nuclear fusion is a process that produces energy when two nuclei join to form a heavier nucleus. “Scientists are interested in fusion, because it could generate enormous amounts of energy without creating long-lasting radioactive byproducts,” said Theresa Benyo, Ph.D., of NASA’s Glenn Research Center. “However, conventional fusion reactions are difficult to achieve and sustain because they rely on temperatures so extreme to overcome the strong electrostatic repulsion between positively charged nuclei that the process has been impractical.”

Called Lattice Confinement Fusion, the method NASA revealed accomplishes fusion reactions with the fuel (deuterium, a widely available non-radioactive hydrogen isotope composed of a proton, neutron, and electron, and denoted “D”) confined in the space between the atoms of a metal solid. In previous fusion research such as inertial confinement fusion, fuel (such as deuterium/tritium) is compressed to extremely high levels but for only a short, nano-second period of time, when fusion can occur. In magnetic confinement fusion, the fuel is heated in a plasma to temperatures much higher than those at the center of the Sun. In the new method, conditions sufficient for fusion are created in the confines of the metal lattice that is held at ambient temperature. While the metal lattice, loaded with deuterium fuel, may initially appear to be at room temperature, the new method creates an energetic environment inside the lattice where individual atoms achieve equivalent fusion-level kinetic energies.”

Have Fleischmann and Pons been finally vindicated, at least sort of?

This is of course not our usual LENR as they use gamma rays to drive the reaction, but hey, it’s within a metal lattice, and is fusion, and is room temperature, doesn’t it sound like Cold fusion to you?

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

let’s discuss.

Later added: The more I read, the more I feel I need someone to pinch me to be sure I am not dreaming all this.

In the text of the page, whoever wrote it is at the same time validating basically all the original claims of “cold fusion” and also politely calling “Hot fusion” a pipe dream.

• This checks out as producing genuine nuclear reactions, that gamma energies and neutron production show it. This is nice, but remember there are anomolious energies in many hydrogen experiments without these inputs and without producing significant neutron flux. A spectrum of interactions to be seen.

• Official Post

This checks out as producing genuine nuclear reactions, that gamma energies and neutron production show it. This is nice, but remember there are anomolious energies in many hydrogen experiments without these inputs and without producing significant neutron flux. A spectrum of interactions to be seen.

LeBob, you know that, I know that and everyone else seriously interested in LENR knows that, but for mainstream we don’t exist as anything else than as a fringe group of pseudoscience believers on a fairy tale.

Remember that even Pons and Fleischmann were looking for neutrons as they initially thought they were doing classical fusion.

This is as close that you will ever see mainstream acknowledging that Pons and Fleischmann were right, tacitly. That you can have a “fusion” in a metal lattice.

We really don’t have the theory to explain what really is happening, and this approach seems to work and also has mainstream blessing. After more than 30 years, I think It is a major breakthrough in acceptance of the phenomenon, and I settle for that, for the moment.

• It won't stay that way for long! Creativity and a larger global distribution of experimenters is what will help. It's all right in front of us really, in data already consumed by some of our minds and psychological warfair has a lot to do with the struggle of selective blindness to light. Also more focus on how much energy can be attained electromagnetically without breaking/fusing atomic nucleon. That will soften the hold on the gates (politically, and perception wise), and is safer for decentralised civilian use.

• Official Post

This was flagged by Curbina in the NASA thread, but just to make it explicit, there are a couple of really interesting GEC presentations linked here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse…ose-any-other-name-goble/

They’re Google drive links so they might not stick around.

I copied your post from US Navy (SPAWAR)/Global Energy Corporation/LENR for continuity. Most people do not know that the US Navy (SPAWAR), and GEC ( http://www.gec.solutions/projects.html ) worked together on LENR. When SPAWAR stopped LENR research, the researchers gravitated over to NASA (which has it's own history of working on LENR) , where they are now jointly developing the technology. That is where this thread picks up the story.

Greg Goble put it all together in his Linkedin article you referenced, in a nice neat package. He has a talent for that. Good also to see GEC has updated their website to include their new goals in the EV auto field, and also in their Thorium Nuclear Power Plants.

• Well I have to be an optimist lol. If I didn't pray to interprete the data constructively, and have some form of faith that matter's patterns make logical sense in the grand scheme, this would be quite depressing otherwise. The huge gap between chemical and nuclear energetics along with the fact that there are mainstream mechanisms in atomic structure for achieving reversible deep chemistry. With good inexpensive energy people are only threatened if they won't learn and adapt to understand practicaly, and the financial system... but with potencial locally grown food and plenty independant power in homes and factories🤷🏽‍♂️.

I copied your post from US Navy (SPAWAR)/Global Energy Corporation/LENR for continuity. Most people do not know that the US Navy (SPAWAR), and GEC ( http://www.gec.solutions/projects.html ) worked together on LENR. When SPAWAR stopped LENR research, the researchers gravitated over to NASA (which has it's own history of working on LENR) , where they are now jointly developing the technology. That is where this thread picks up the story.

Greg Goble put it all together in his Linkedin article you referenced, in a nice neat package. He has a talent for that. Good also to see GEC has updated their website to include their new goals in the EV auto field, and also in their Thorium Nuclear Power Plants.

The link isn't working for me.

• I copied your post from US Navy (SPAWAR)/Global Energy Corporation/LENR for continuity. Most people do not know that the US Navy (SPAWAR), and GEC ( http://www.gec.solutions/projects.html ) worked together on LENR. When SPAWAR stopped LENR research, the researchers gravitated over to NASA (which has it's own history of working on LENR) , where they are now jointly developing the technology. That is where this thread picks up the story.

Thanks Shane. Wasn’t quite sure where to put it.

• Charming the bird majority

"“What we did was not cold fusion,” says Lawrence Forsley,

a senior lead experimental physicist for the project.

Cold fusion

, the idea that fusion can occur at relatively low energies in room-temperature materials,

is viewed with skepticism by the vast majority of physicists.

Forsley stresses this is hot fusion,

but “We’ve come up with a new way of driving it.”

https://spectrum.ieee.org/ener…usiontokamak-not-included

• Official Post

I don’t know if to laugh or cry over this cheap trick. As Greg Goble says about this : a rose by any name is still a rose.

I wonder if they went with Erbium and Titanium just for the sake of not using Pd or Ni.

• Forsley at el did some work on fusion fission reactor using Uranium awhile back

One problem I can see with U238/U235 is the possibilty of complex reactions like

U238 + hydrogen/deuterium...>>>> Pu239..and other nasties

Maybe its OK in a space rocket but I would exercise caution in a laboratory

even if the Uranium was locked tightly and dilutely in a lattice

Erbium seems a lot safer

• I don’t know if to laugh or cry

The birds on the perch have funding

no funding ..no research..no perch

The theories of lattice confinement with high kinetic collisions are so.. old school

However erbium could be a useful addition to Ecalox type reactors

Erbium, like ytterbium (and uranium and many heavy metals) has metastable isotopes

with low KeV states which according to Wyttenbach are useful for

maintaining the LENR "cold fusion' reactions..

• Forsley has been doing LENR work with uranium since ~1996..

http://newenergytimes.com/v2//…y-AnalyzingNuclearAsh.pdf

There was Green Nuclear (GNE) patent/.venture with Khim to make 'fission/fusion reactor based on deuterided U238

Perhaps it was based on data of increased energy release..which Forsley has somewhere..

https://patentimages.storage.g…8ccce7/WO2009108331A2.pdf

Consequently, a heavily deuterided actinide can be its own source of fast neutrons

, with an average neutron kinetic energy greater than 2 MeV

and greater than the actinide fission neutron energy.

Such energetic neutrons are capable of fissioning both fertile and fissile material.

There is no chain reaction.

There is no concept of actinide criticality.

Purely fertile material, like 232Th or non-fertile isotopes, like 209Bi,may fission, producing
    additional fast neutrons and energy up to 200 MeV/nucleon fissioned.

This results in considerable environmental, health physics, and economic savings
    by using either spent nuclear fuel, mixed oxide nuclear fuel, natural uranium or natural
    thorium to "stoke the fires of a nuclear furnace"

and is the basis for our Green Nuclear Energy technology, or GNE

(pronounced, "Genie"). GNE reactors may consume fertile

or fissionable isotopes such as 232Th, 235U, 238U,239Pu, 241Am, and 252Cf,
    and may consume fission wastes and activation products in situ

without requiring fuel reprocessing

• There was Green Nuclear (GNE) patent/.venture

The gamma emission analysis showed emissions for decay products from Uranium

plus fission products such as Cs137.

The amounts would not be expected from depleted uranium..Dash et al

also observed incresed radioactivity in 2003

with hydrogenated uranium

but did not have the sophisticated apparatus of Forsley et al..

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/DashJchangesint.pdf

• There was Green Nuclear (GNE) patent/.venture with Khim to make 'fission/fusion reactor based on deuterided U238

I am sorry to say that, but the term "Green" to be used for such a technology is missleading or in other words "propaganda" from the nuclear industry.

In my view we want to develop a LENR technology which is SAFE (no or only minor critical emissions, no dangerous waste, no use of dangerous materials), uses abudant materials, can be applied decentralized and is carbon free.

IMO such a technology using U238 is only of theoretical value, but for no practical application.

IMO, It would be of NO advantage for the LENR technology, which should be a real alternativ or paradigm shift in future energy systems.

• IMO such a technology using U238 is only of theoretical value,

It appears to have dirty products such as Cs-137.

However the weak evidence for accelerated decay in hydrogenated/deuterides uranium +fission

may not only fund a dream of dirty technology.

I believe that that accelerated decay of U238/U235 and thorium daughters may happen inimages?q=tbn%3AANd9GcR9gHbBZG6C1720n8Jk9TipZM89jSiAhjthKg&usqp=CAU

magma at elevated temperatures when zircons become permeable to hydrogen

and the confined uranium/thorium at levels such as 500 ppm

are destabilised. Possibly this natural process is less dirty than the GNE technology.

Forsley has rightly seen that NASA would be interested in such technology

but watery electrolysis seems a bit messy/heavy and adds to the payload.

Perhaps he is working on a gas phase device.

There is also 770,000 tonnes of depleted uranium stored in the USA

and not so many Middle East wars to get rid of it.

If U238 decays all the way to stable lead

the energy per atom is something like 60 Mevs

Say this tech or similar could get 10 % of that stored energy .quickly . I calculate this 10% as 2.8 x 10(23) J

The annual primary energy usage of earthlings is something like 6 x 10(20) J

brief unchecked calculation,,

Dirty technology .. maybe good for robot manned spacecraft to a planet far way from me.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/n…-04-0004040111-story.html

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.