NASA’s Lattice Confined Fusion (LCF)

• OUR HISTORY

The Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) can trace its roots back to the Manhattan Project in 1942. A mission that began strictly as a weapons development program expanded during the Cold War and eventually included non-nuclear weapons development nonproliferation efforts. The November 1997 Defense Reform Initiative joined the Defense Special Weapons Agency and the On-Site Inspection Agency with two defense programs—the Cooperative Threat Reduction Program (CTR) and Chemical-Biological Defense Program, Science and Technology component—forming the core elements of the new Agency. DTRA was formally established on October 1, 1998. Additionally, the Joint Improvised Defeat Organization joined DTRA in October 2016.

DTRA’s rich legacy begins with the Manhattan Engineering District, later referred to simply as the Manhattan Project, which was created to develop the world’s first atomic bomb during World War II. Rooted in the success of the TRINITY nuclear test, the first detonation of an implosion-type plutonium device, the Atomic Age was born.

After the end of World War II, the Manhattan Project continued to support atomic weapons testing until the Atomic Energy Act of 1946 split the program into two parts—the Atomic Energy Commission, known today at the Department of Energy (DOE), and the Armed Forces Special Weapons Project (AFSWP). The AFSWP, was the military organization responsible for the nuclear weapons aspects remaining under military control after the split, was responsible for nuclear weapons maintenance, storage, surveillance, security and transportation as well as conducting offensive and defensive military training in nuclear weapons operations and supporting nuclear tests.

• The GEC EV on board charger

LCF LENR Electric

Tesla... Connected?

Soon I expect.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Will upload. Thanks. I heard it was coming but they didn't tell me it has arrived.

Electrolytic Co-depositionNeutron Production Evaluation

This is the old experiment because the experimental configuration is "electrolysis", which is not cold fusion.

FPE(electrolysis condition) need the high temperature to trigger and sustain cold fusion, which will emit neuton due to the excited state of 4He, which is the path of hot fusion.

• A bit of NASA history...

On the subject of heat?

On the lack of commensurable neutrons? They were vindicated by these papers before year's end 1989.

In fact. Excess heat was detected in only three months, by June of 1989. Not sure when this memorandum was published and made readily available to the cold fusion community... Now, Fralick et al have advanced with a deeper understanding of multiple transmutation pathways occurring in advantageous energy production sequencies...

NASA’s updated Lattice Assisted Nuclear Fusion revamped site

(Have Fleischmann and Pons been finally vindicated?)

I think the very first dry cell "Solid State Energy" cold fusion experiment is the...

1989 NASA dry cell/gas loaded... quote "nonelectrochemical cold fusion" experiment by:

Gustave C. Fralick of NASA LCF 2020

NASA Technical Memorandum 102430

December 1989

RESULTS OF AN ATTEMPT TO MEASURE INCREASED RATES OF THE REACTION

2D + 2D → 3He + n

IN A NONELECTROCHEMICAL COLD

FUSION EXPERIMENT

Gustave C. Fralick, Arthur J. Decker, and James W. Blue

National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Lewis Research Center

ABSTRACT

An experiment was performed at the Lewis Research Center to look for evidence of

deuterium fusion in palladium. The experiment, which involved introducing deuterium into the palladium filter of a hydrogen purifier, was designed to detect neutrons produced in the reaction

2D + 2D → 3He + n as well as heat production. The neutron counts for deuterium did not differ significantly

from background or from the counts for a hydrogen control.

(gbgoble-excess,beyond chemical levels of)

Heat production was detected when deuterium, but not hydrogen, was pumped from the purifier.

The experiment was conceived during the height of the interest in cold fusion from March 1989 to June 1989, and was designed to use immediately available apparatus. The lack of neutrons during heat production (indeed during any of the experiments) seems to rule out a neutron producing fusion reaction.

CONCLUDING REMARKS

This experiment to look for evidence of the second deuterium fusion reaction 2D + 2D → 3He + n in Pd showed a negative result even at the rather low level of significance of 3 standard deviations. Differences of 1 or 2 standard deviations were observed in the background count as well as when deuterium or hydrogen was present in the hydrogen purifier.

One can only

speculate about the source of the heating which occurs when D2 and not H2 is removed from the Pd.

The lack of neutrons during the heating (indeed during any of the experiments) would seem to rule out the second reaction as an explanation.

gbgoblenote- The following explanation is provided in early 1990. NASA certainly took note of it as did many others. Nuclear levels of heat with no, or very little neutrons...

Speculation by a genius.

Julian Schwinger

Quote " ....disbelief based on the absence at the expected intensities, of the customary signs of a DD reaction, such as neutrons (d + d ->n + 3He) and high energy y-rays (d + d -*•y + 4He).

The hypothesis that I now advance has the following ingredients:

(1) The claim of Pons and Fleischmann to have realized cold fusion is valid.

(2) But, this cold fusion process is not powered by a DD reaction. Rather, it is an HD reaction, which feeds on the small contamination of D 2 0 by H 2 0 .

(3) The HD reaction p + d -> 3He does not have an accompanying y-ray; the excess energy is taken up by the metallic lattice of Pd alloyed with D. -end quotes jschwinger

From

Cold Fusion: A Hypothesis

Julian Schwinger

Department of Physics, University of California,

Los Angeles, CA 90024

Z. Naturforsch. 45 a, 756 (1990);

received October 28, 1989

2020 NASA LCF

This fusion reaction releases either a neutron and helium-3 (shown) or a proton and tritium.

These fusion products may also react in subsequent nuclear reactions, releasing more energy.

In (E), a proton is stripped from an energetic “d*” and is captured by an

erbium (Er) atom, which is then converted to a different element, thulium (Tm).

If the neutron instead is captured by Er, a new isotope of Er is formed (not shown).

All of these nuclear reactions produce useful energy.

- end quotes

2020 Fralick NASA and GEC

Lattice Confinement Fusion

"Novel Nuclear Reactions Observed in Bremsstrahlung-Irradiated Deuterated Metals"

Bruce M. Steinetz, Theresa L. Benyo, Arnon Chait, Robert C. Hendricks, Lawrence P. Forsley, Bayarbadrakh Baramsai, Philip B. Ugorowski, Michael D. Becks, Vladimir Pines, Marianna Pines, Richard E. Martin, Nicholas Penney, Gustave C. Fralick, and Carl E. Sandifer, II

Phys. Rev. C 101, 044610 – Published 20 April 2020

• CONCLUDING REMARKS

This experiment to look for evidence of the second deuterium fusion reaction 2D + 2D → 3He + n in Pd showed a negative result even at the rather low level of significance of 3 standard deviations.

My conclusive remark: If you only understand kinetic physics and did forget basic mechanics then you just perform crap experiments...

• crap experiments...

Fralick et al have improved their experiments since March of 1989.

The gas purifier experiment was put together ad hoc, inexpensive, fast and mechanics oriented. Brilliant at the time.

I am disappointed it was not widely discussed in 89.

Of course you are welcome to your harsh opinion of the 1989 experiment and have some reasons to be proud of your present day understanding of CMNS.

So do others.

Best of luck with your patents and theoretical underpinnings.

The experiment was conceived during the height of the interest in cold fusion from March 1989 to June 1989, and was designed to use immediately available apparatus.

• RobertBryant

I suppose NASA Lattice Confinement Fusion has the last paper by Fralick et al... 2020 if I remember correctly. It has been discussed here.

Search Results

Search results 1-14 of 14 for “Fralick”.

I could look for a more recent one though Fralick is retired and contributes as adviser.

(Quote from JedRothwell) Fralick published new results late in 2020, in the International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. It wasn’t clear in that publication when the data was obtained, but it seemed recent and included transmutation analysis

• IEEE Spectrum announces new discoveries in "Lattice Confined Fusion": https://spectrum.ieee.org/lattice-confinement-fusion

I think this adds little to what we already know, is just great that CF is being talked more and more in MSM, and that the ICCF 24 is being regarded in high steem.

Anyway, after reading it leaves the sensation that they are trying to make "cold fusion" the new promising but elusive new source, as Hot Fusion is becoming less popular. Just my impression.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• I think this adds little to what we already know, is just great that CF is being talked more and more in MSM, and that the ICCF 24 is being regarded in high steem.

Anyway, after reading it leaves the sensation that they are trying to make "cold fusion" the new promising but elusive new source, as Hot Fusion is becoming less popular. Just my impression.

Adds little, if anything to the science, but some promising tidbits are passed on by the authors: Forsley, Benyo, Steinetz, Baramsai . They confirm Team Google (Schenkel) is/or was on the right track, and that the renewed US Navy lead CF research project Whether Cold Fusion or Low-Energy Nuclear Reactions, U.S. Navy Researchers Reopen Case - IEEE Spectrum is showing "promising initial results", as Lead Scientist Gotzmer/Lead Physicist DeChiaro reported at the ARPA-E conference in Oct 2021.

They are also eyeing the "Nuclear and Emerging technologies for Space 2022 (NETS 2022)" coming up on May 8-12. Not sure that means they intend to present, but they also mention the upcoming ICCF24 in Silcon Valley this summer, which I am sure Forsley will attend.

Forsley had responded to us last fall that COVID had slowed their NASA LCF program, but this article tells me they are back to normal. That is good.

• eyeing the "Nuclear and Emerging technologies for Space 2022 (NETS 2022)" coming up on May 8-12.

The culmination (final results) or a progress report of the Space Act Agreement will be available at some future date. At NETS 2022 would be nice.

NASA GEC LENR Reactor for Space Power/Electric Space Drive

Scale-up Build and Test 100 kilowatt to 20 megawatt thermal

+ Umbrella Agreement - January 2018

The initial goal is to develop and run a self-sustaining 10 kW thermal, 2 kW electric, hybrid generator for planetary space missions and planetary surface power. Such generator technology would be scalable to 100 kW at the Plum Book Facility. Larger generator designs would be built and run at appropriate offsite location. https://www.nasa.gov/saa/domestic/24838_SAA3-1529.pdf

+ Annex to the Umbrella Agreement https://www.nasa.gov/saa/domestic/24839_SAA3-1529-1.pdf

GEC presentations of the NASA GRC LENR reactor contract

‘Space Application of a Hybrid Fusion-Fission Reactor’ (ICCF21 abstracts) Lawrence P. Forsley, Pamela A. Mosier-Boss Global Energy Corporation, USA

Reference from

Lattice Confinement Fusion, LENR, Cold Fusion: A Rose by any other name is still a Rose
    “The current findings open a new path for initiating fusion reactions for further study within the scientific community. However, the reaction rates need to be…
    www.linkedin.com

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.