NASA’s Lattice Confined Fusion (LCF)

• The idea that any zany idea would become practical if only you spend enough time and money on it is just not true.

The idea of cold fusion is not so crazy. On the contrary, the main argument of the opponents of cold fusion, which consists in overcoming the Coulomb barrier exclusively with the help of extremely hot plasma, looks crazy.

PS

I found the following on Lev Verkhovsky 's website:

Pyotr Leonidovich Kapitsa (1894-1984) was an outstanding physicist and engineer, founder and director of the Institute of Physical Problems, academician since 1939. In 1978 he received the Nobel Prize for the discovery of the superfluidity of liquid helium.

Just a few days before the start of the war (June 17, 1941), he published an article in the Pravda newspaper "The UNITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY", in which he discussed the issues of the best organization of science in the country. I will give a fragment (quoted from the book by P.L. Kapitsa. "Experiment, Theory, Practice". Moscow: Nauka, 1974, p. 80):

It often seems to me that it's as if we in the scientific community are even afraid of debates and certain assessments. Maybe this is because we still consider false self-esteem based on the misconception that a good scientist cannot be mistaken, because a "mistake" should discredit him. It's as if we forget that "only the one who doesn't make mistakes doesn't do anything." After all, every scientific truth of today can be supplemented or changed tomorrow, because we are in a state of continuous approximation to the knowledge of the true nature of things. Only by overcoming error after error, revealing contradictions, we get an ever closer solution to the problem posed.

And here Peter Leonidovich gives his definition of pseudoscience:

Mistakes are not yet pseudoscience. Pseudoscience is the non—recognition of mistakes.

• overcoming the Coulomb barrier by extremely hot plasma won't be the way to follow.. believes me

We only need to accelerate ionized species by an strong em field, which could be produced by lenr Beta decay especially.

In this way, no need to cross the coulomb barrier because beta desintegrations will produce ... electricity..to genrate next em field.

• The LEC ahahaha

I understand. Like the C39 chips presented in 2002.

I have a hunch the LEC will prove to have higher power versions.

The subtitle of this thread

(Have Fleischmann and Pons been finally vindicated?)

YES In my opinion the question is out of date.

Since as early as 1990 when Gus Fralick and Martin discussed NASAs success with gas cycling and plans for codeposition. Martin Fleischmann was a leading expert in codeposition from his research into surface and thin film enhancement of Raman Empire technologies.

Why might Gus have grabbed a Johnson Matthey hydrogen purifier for solid state cold fusion nuclear research at NASA Glenn Research Center in 1989?

The results vindicated Pons and Fleischmann in the eyes of NASA and in the eyes of the folks at Johnson Matthey.

LENR at GRC

Gustave C. Fralick

John D. Wrbanek, Susan Y. Wrbanek,

Janis Niedra (ASRC)

NASA Glenn Research Center

Cleveland, Ohio

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/20150010339/downloads/20150010339.pdf

Sers and the rise of the Raman empire | Feature - Chemistry World

Further Evidence for Cold Fusion - Johnson Matthey Technology Review

1993 — Fleischmann and Pons postulated a nuclear fusion explanation to account for their results, presumably involving deuterons, and research work has been devoted ...

“Solid-State Fusion” Effects - Johnson Matthey Technology Review

by DT Thompson · 1990 · Cited by 1 — The “Solid-State Fusion” or “Cold Fusion” phenomenon, including excess heat ... Excess heat of up to 100 W/cm3 of palladium has now been recorded.

Source

Johnson Matthey Technology Review, known as Platinum Metals Review before 2014, is a quarterly, peer-reviewed scientific journal publishing reports on scientific research on the platinum group metals and related industrial developments.

Article link

The Clean-Up of Fusion Reactor Waste Gases - technology.matthey.com

Your connection to this site is secure

Journal Archive

Platinum Metals Rev., 1989, 33, (1), 9

The Clean-Up of Fusion Reactor Waste Gases

A Study of the Effects of Impurities on Silver-Palladium

D.R.C.

The viability of nuclear fusion reactors will depend, in part, upon the effectiveness of the fuel clean-up system. One of the purposes of this system is to separate hydrogen isotopes from impurities in the exhaust emanating from the plasma. Such treatment can be achieved by cryogenic techniques, but these are made more effective if a preliminary removal of impurities can be performed.

The technique favoured for this first stage is diffusion through palladium alloy membranes, which has been used commercially for many years to produce high purity hydrogen for use in a wide range of industrial applications including the electronics industry.The alloy most commonly used for hydrogen purification is silver-palladium, with silver contents in the range 20 to 25 weight per cent.

The operating regime is predominantly hydrogen rich, at pressures between 1 and 2 MPa and temperatures between 570 and 720K. Under these conditions no loss of activity of the alloy membrane surface due to carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide or water present as impurities has been reported.In the potential fusion reactor fuel application the aim is to separate the hydrogen isotopes from impurities such as C(H,D,T)4, (H,D,T)2O and N(H,D,T)3, as well as from carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, oxygen and nitrogen. Thus it is desirable to restrict operating temperatures and pressures as far as possible, in order to limit diffusion through the structural components of the system. Under such conditions, however, loss of membrane activity due to poisoning by impurities is possible; the most likely cause being related to chemisorption onto active alloy sites of impurity molecules, with a subsequent loss of these sites for the promotion of through-membrane diffusion. A reduction in the operating temperature will promote chemisorption, but at the expense of desorption, and there has been a lack of information about the effect of large amounts of impurities upon membrane behaviour. However, a recent paper from the Centre d’Etudes Nucléaires de Saclay gives experimental data for the diffusion of hydrogen through palladium-silver in the presence of the impurities expected to occur in fusion reactor waste gases (J. Chabot, J. Lecomte, C. Grumet and J. Sannier, Fusion Technol., 1988, 14, (2), part 2A, 614–618).The French team investigated palladium-23 silver under partial pressures of hydrogen of 14 kPa, and temperatures between 420 and 725K.

Their findings indicate that methane and carbon dioxide have a depressing effect upon the hydrogen permeability at temperatures below 425K, when present in concentrations of 9 volume per cent in a carrier of helium. However, carbon monoxide at 0.2 volume per cent was found to severely degrade hydrogen permeability, under the same conditions. The detrimental effect of carbon monoxide was found to extend up to 570K, as the concentration was increased to 9.5 volume per cent. No synergism between the various impurity gases was observed, and the effect of carbon monoxide in mixtures was primarily that equivalent to the concentration of carbon monoxide alone. Regeneration of the membrane was found to be possible by thermal treatment, either in vacuo at 523K or by surface oxidation/reduction treatments.A second valuable finding from this work is that a significant carbon monoxide/hydrogen reaction was observed at temperatures in excess of 650K, with the formation of methane, carbon dioxide and water, probably as a result of the catalytic activity of the alloy membrane surface. Thus this work has defined limits within which the utilisation of palladium alloy membranes for the purification of fusion reactor feed gas appears to be feasible, that is within the temperature range 475 to 650K.The same group are currently considering the influence of other gaseous contaminants on this process.

GBGOBLENOTE

Heinrich Hora 1990 cold fusion patent

"Method and Arrangement for Nuclear Reactions at Low Temperatures"

Method and arrangement for nuclear reactions at low temperatures - HORA HEINRICH

Inventors:

HORA HEINRICH PROF DR DR (DE)

MILEY GEORGE H PROF DR (US)

Application Number:

DE3910806A

Publication Date:

10/11/1990

Filing Date:

04/04/1989

• Well, my friend i don't understand what you shared however about the LEC i'm not against at all.

However once again as for P&F experiments, only chemists are involved on that.

Now, as i expect no link with that, meaning what we read recently is a perfect waste of time.

Nothing interesting will move in a close future around this topic.

Once again, the south america priest didn't understood the second degree, besides he was surely busy in his spiritual incantations, during the last ICCF where he had been absent..

• Now, as i expect no link with that, meaning what we read recently is a perfect waste of time.

Well Dave, I often see you making comments like this, can you be more specific? Are you referring to the NASA propulsion idea? Or are you referring to the entire ICCF 24?

From your comments one might understand that you are not happy with how the field is slowly advancing, and I doubt you will find anyone here that doesn’t want things to move much faster.

But criticism alone is not very helpful. Can you tell us How you propose that the field advances, where you see others doing things that need improvement, what errors you see being made? I think if you provide us with those points of view, it would be more constructive from your part.

If trying to be conciliatory gains me the nickname of “South American priest”, then good, otherwise I don’t understand that.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• thank you to give me your hand about the priest ,this is never a bad person but often think only by black and white.

Then all thinks are more subtle.. in my case i have been far in the past a child singer so i like priest.

Again at Assisi i was happy to feel again my christian roots.

Now let me an entire night for a full reply, thanks.

• But criticism alone is not very helpful. Can you tell us How you propose that the field advances, where you see others doing things that need improvement, what errors you see being made? I think if you provide us with those points of view, it would be more constructive from your part.

LENR supporters only study the same type of overunity systems. Look at overunity systems that are not solid state or use hydrogen. The problem with LENR research is that it is stuck in a rut, a rut that does not challenge invalid assumptions.

• LENR supporters only study the same type of overunity systems. Look at overunity systems that are not solid state or use hydrogen. The problem with LENR research is that it is stuck in a rut, a rut that does not challenge invalid assumptions.

I think you are over generalizing. Many of us here think beyond hydrogen and solid state. I myself have a particular interest in ultrasound systems that cause transmutation in liquids. Many of us here know and study the idea behind the EVO. You yourself disagree about what the EVO is with Bob Greenyer, on the other hand.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• I think you are over generalizing. Many of us here think beyond hydrogen and solid state. I myself have a particular interest in ultrasound systems that cause transmutation in liquids. Many of us here know and study the idea behind the EVO. You yourself disagree about what the EVO is with Bob Greenyer, on the other hand.

Here is a system whose study would be useful in disabusing the false assumptions that plage LENR progress. No hydrogen, No lattice and yet it produces 4kw in self sustaining mode.

Testatika Demonstration (4 August 1999)

Translation by Stefan Hartmann < [email protected] > & Hans Holzherr

To: Stefan Hartmann
    Recently, over 30 technicians and engineers (most of them retired) were allowed to visit the Methernitha group in Linden, Switzerland, where they witnessed a demo of the different Testatika machines.
    Here is a report from Hans Holzherr from Switzerland who was present:

Hello Mr. Hartmann,
    To your questions: > Have you seen live a machine with a load? If so, what load?
    I am referring in the following to the model with the 50-cm diameter disks. This machine was already running when the visitors stepped into the room, and was not halted during the whole time --- we were there for about 1.5 hrs. As a first load a 1000-Watt lamp was connected for approximately 10 seconds whose brightness did NOT diminish --- the corresponding sequence on the Testatika film is just an effect of the camera aperture's automatic adjusting to the sudden brightness! The second load was a U-shaped heating element, that Mr.Baumann handed to me. It became so hot within one second that I had to put it down immediately! What was particularly impressive was that while he pulled back one of the contact wires (that was with the lamp, I believe), a 1-cm long arc appeared between the output electrode and the connecting wire for approximately one second. The apparatus was under a plexiglass hood. Near the base it had two holes which Baumann used to insert the contact wires to touch the output electrodes.
    How do you think the high wattage is produced ?

Good question! I'd love to know the answer, too!
    Did the disks slow down when a load was placed across the output electrodes ?
    I did not notice that (nobody else did), but of course you tend to turn your look to 'where the action is' (the lamp etc.) The disks turned with 15 rpm, which is quite slow. The spin rate was regulated magnetically.
    What general impression did you have ?

It was really impressive! One can hardly believe it, with this slow rotation. In any case, this cannot be explained in terms of bare electrostatics in the sense of the Wimshurst machine. The perforated sheets seem to have a key function... Beside the pick-up and the drive electrodes there are a number of small plexiglass blocks with glued-on perforated sheets, whose function is unknown.
    As Adolf Schneider already mentioned, my colleague Bernhard XXX and I want to try to copy the principle experiment shown by Baumann --- without much hope to find anything extraordinary, though.
    The device consists of a horizontal swiveling plexiglass arm with a small rectangular plexiglass plate at both ends glued to the lower side of the arm. The lower side of the arm is covered with perforated aluminum sheets (square holes), while the bottom of the plates is covered with brass wire mesh. Beneath each plate five additional plates are glued onto the base plate. There is also wire mesh between each pair of plates in the two blocks. From the mesh layer between the lowest plate and the base a wire goes to the two capacitors, which are connected in parallel . Baumann seized the arm with both hands and turned it about ten times back and forth (a full rotation was not possible, because the capacitors were in the way), then measured the DC voltage with a digital measuring instrument: 60 Volts. Then, as he short-circuited the condensers a loud crack could be heard. I don´t know if that already is an abnormal result...

On my question Baumann replied that with metal foil (instead of wire mesh) the device would not produce that effect.
    For more information, Contact: [email protected]
  • Well, i 'm fully assume my how to say, disruptive Trump face.

Now, as i'm not agree with more than 80% of what is said and thought here, better is to leave a looong while.

Ps: Ahlfors thank you again for your deep and constructive investigation.

For example i remember how by your researches how you killed so many XXXXXXX against Rossi .

Cydonia You should be kinder you know, after all your face on Mars has a Mona Lisa smile.

• I don’t know if this is the most appropriate thread for posting this, but as it’s about the experiment of Gus Fralick in 1989 and the recent highlight of it by Theresa Benyo at the ICCF 24 and also the direct mention of it by Francesco CELANI in his presentation at the ICCF24, I think it may be well suited here. Francesco CELANI made emphasis in the need for flux of the hydrogen through the lattice to create excess heat, which they increase in the constantan wire by those electric pulses he mentioned.

I am aware the Fralick experiment and all the replications of it mentioned by Theresa Benyo were performed using the PdAg tubing of a Johnson Mathey hydrogen purificator.

I am aware of a couple of Japanese publications that did a similar experiment with Nickel Foils and obtained excess heat although this was observed while they were being loaded / unloaded with H.

But I have been wondering if Francesco CELANI has thought of using a nickel tubing to create the flux in the same way that the JM hydrogen purifier does, which is creating a vacuum and thus forcing the hydrogen to flow through the constantan wall of the tubing.

Unfortunately the smaller constantan tubing I have found has an outer diameter of 16 mm and a 1 mm thick wall. I wonder if hydrogen would be able to flow through such thick wall.

• I wonder if hydrogen would be able to flow through such thick wall.

Does high temperature increase permeability?

The following article covers this subject in regards to the...

Johnson Matthew Hydrogen Purifier

500+ K operating temperature

I wonder what temperature and pressure Fralick and Benyo worked with?

From 1989

Johnson Matthey Technology Review

Journal Archive

Platinum Metals Rev., 1989, 33, (1), 9

The Clean-Up of Fusion Reactor Waste Gases

A Study of the Effects of Impurities on Silver-Palladium

D.R.C.

The Clean-Up of Fusion Reactor Waste Gases - technology.matthey.com

• Unfortunately the smaller constantan tubing I have found has an outer diameter of 16 mm and a 1 mm thick wall. I wonder if hydrogen would be able to flow through such thick wall.

Page 18 of this pdf, describing Thermacore's Randell Mills - inspired 1993 experiment submitted to the US Air force, gives a formula for the rate of atomic hydrogen permeating through the nickel tubing.

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/GernertNnascenthyd.pdf

Here's the abstract :

Anomalous heat was measured from a reaction of atomic hydrogen in contact with potassium carbonate on a nickel surface. The nickel surface consisted of 500 feet of 0.0625 inch diameter tubing wrapped in a coil. The coil was inserted into a pressure vessel containing a light water solution of potassium carbonate. The tubing and solution were heated to a steady state temperature of 249°C using an FR heater. Hydrogen at 1100 psig was applied to the inside of the tubing. After the application of hydrogen, a 32°C increase in temperature of the cell was measured which corresponds to 25 watts of heat. Heat production under these conditions is predicted by the theory of Mills where a new species of hydrogen is produced that has a lower energy state then normal hydrogen. ESCA analyses, done independently by Lehigh University, have found the predicted 55 eV signature of this new species of hydrogen. Work is continuing at Thermacore with internal funding to bring this technology to the marketplace.

• Feb 3rd 2016

General LENR Talks

…larger than the measurement errors. For example, in a variety of 2 experiments, the solid-state nuclear track detector background was less than 1 track/mm whereas the signal exceeded 10,000 tracks/mm2! "Excess heat production in Szpak and Mosier-Boss’ electrolytic Pd/D co-deposition system was first measured by Miles

and then replicated by Letts.

Kitimura

and Ahern…

• Perhaps off topic yet an important bit of history relevant to this thread...

An excellent read.

Vindicated?

Yes CMNS papers are peer reviewed.

I was the release authority for the 30+ peer-reviewed articles in LENR.

Also quote

In another case, when Shanahan wrote a rebuttal to a review article by Krivit and

Marwan where he raised a number of issues in the areas of calorimetry, heat after death, elemental transmutation, energetic particle detection using CR-39, and the

temporal correlation between heat and helium-4. Pam took the lead to respond.

She organized and co-authored:

“A new look at low-energy nuclear reactions (LENR) research: a response to Shanahan.”

In addition to Pam, the authors included Jan Marwan, Mike McKubre, Fran Tanzella, Peter Hagelstein, Mel Miles, Mitchell Swartz, Ed Storms, Prof. Iwamura, and Larry Forsley. There may be a lot of disagreements between those authors but Pam pulled them together to land a knock-out punch.

When last seen, Shanahan was crawling back under a rock

End Quotes

LENR FAQ for Students

Reference

"Comments about Pam Boss Upon Receipt of the Preparata Award"

Source

The University of Missouri is a public land-grant research university in Columbia, Missouri. It is Missouri's largest university and the flagship of the four-campus University of Missouri System. MU was founded in 1839 and was the first public university west of the Mississippi River.

Article link

https://mospace.umsystem.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10355/36812/CommentsAboutPamBoss.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Your connection to this site is secure.

Further references

A new look at low-energy nuclear reaction (LENR) research: A response to Shanahan

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/45509281_A_new_look_at_low-energy_nuclear_reaction_LENR_research_A_response_to_Shanahan

• August 2010
    • Journal of Environmental Monitoring 12(9)

DOI:10.1039/c0em00267d

• Source
    • PubMed
  • Much thanks for bringing this to my attention, I was completely unaware of this report. It mixes up some topics as it’s seen from the Mills point of view and the hydrogen passes from inside the tubing to an outside heated K2CO3 solution creating the excess heat, but is similar enough and gives reference to the nickel tubing which is great for comparison with the PdAg tubing experiments.

• Accessing Icy World Oceans Using Lattice Confinement Fusion Fast Fission

Thanks Ahlfors for posting that NASA paper...

Here is another important paper.

LENR FAQ for Students

Quite a few researchers have worked years getting paid a good salary to research Condensed Matter Nuclear Science. While some have spent only a portion of their salaried time in this endeavor, others have made a full time career of it. - gbgoble2022september

NASA GRC-LCF-GEC SPAWAR 2022

White Paper

Lattice Confinement Fusion and Fusion-Fast-Fission Energy Source Development

L.P. Forsley1,2 , T. L. Benyo3 , P. A. Mosier-Boss1 and B. Steinetz3

Abstract

NASA and the US Navy have demonstrated Lattice Confinement Fusion (LCF) and the Fusion-Fast-Fission of natural uranium and thorium. Both methods build upon decades of research, and the latter benefits from conventional nuclear fission and fusion results. However, this nascent technology doesn’t require fissile isotopes and avoids nuclear weapons proliferation concerns from uranium 235U isotopic enrichment or plutonium 239Pu separation. Of particular note, LCF doesn’t need power hungry magnets, lasers, or particle beams. Potentially, it could provide watts to hundreds of kilowatts of electrical power and process heat suitable for space power and high Isp nuclear electric propulsion (NEP) as well as distributed terrestrial power. Finally, there are indications that LCF fast-fission products are more benign than those of conventional fission reactors. Our goal is to scale the reactions and increase the power output through higher temperature operation and increased material masses.

Background

Co-deposition, or the simultaneous electrolytic reduction and loading of palladium and deuterium, was invented by the US Navy as US Patent 8,419,919, “System and Method for Generating Particles”.

This protocol is one means of loading hydrogen isotopic fuel at very high densities in solid lattices, including thorium and uranium. Building upon three decades of research conducted with the US Navy SPAWAR [SZPA91], [MOSI16], the Naval Surface Warfare Centers [DECH15], [DECH21] and the NASA Glenn Research Center [STEI20], [SMIT21] we have continued to explore, observe, model and understand LCF science. We have characterized the fusion, activation and fast-fission products through experimental nuclear product observations and material assays, and modeled reactions using SRIM/TRIM, Density Functional Theory (Quantum Espresso) [DECH15], LANL Monte-Carlo Nuclear Modeling (MCNP®) and CERN GEANT-4 [BARA21] codes.

Source

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration is an independent agency of the US federal government responsible for the civil space program, aeronautics research, and space research.

A NASA/GRC and GEC/U.S. Navy "LCF" 'Cold Fusion', LENR - Condensed Matter Nuclear Science White PAPER 2022

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/20210026340/downloads/White%20Paper%20regarding%20LCF%20and%20Fusion-fast-fisson.pdf

Your connection to this site is secure

• THHuxleynew Please don't even try to argue that this is not related to, or not of a lineage from, Pons' and Fleischmann's outstanding 1989 research, erroneously dubbed 'cold fusion'. 'Energy beyond chemical from some unknown atomic process' is how Fleischmann often and accurately described it.

From the NASA GEC LCF White Paper

NASA has supported the underlying LCF science for a decade. However, Lattice Confinement Fusion and fusion-fast-fission technologies are the next steps to solve NASA, NRO, Navy, Army, US Space

Force and commercial energy needs. Although other agencies like DARPA have funded limited research, and ARPA-E has expressed interest, NASA has developed an unmatched team and key facilities. By advancing this research into a technology, NASA builds on its capabilities, solves its problems, and in turn attracts additional public and private partners. World-wide, NASA is viewed as working for all of humanity by forging and deploying new technologies. -end quotes

• I am reviewing each reference in the White Paper. I am also trying to determine the date of publication by doing so...

This reference is "under review" and has been "redacted". Quite a list of authors.

Anyone have a link to this?

[DECH21] DeChiaro, L. F., Forsley, L.P. , Mosier-Boss, P.A., Steinetz, B.M., Hendricks, R.C., Long, K.J., Rayms-Keller, P., Shea, M., Barker, S., Benyo, T.L., Pines, V., Chait, A., Sandifer, II, C.E., Ellis, D. L., Locci, I. and Jennings, W.D., “A Multi-Laboratory Study of [Redacted] LENR Codeposition Experiments”, in review (2022).

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.