NASA’s Lattice Confined Fusion (LCF)

• NASA References LENR as Possible “Climate Solver” –

It’s clear to me from this article just released that Bushnell is not talking about LCF, he is indeed talking about Clean Planet-Miura cooperation and he makes a poor job at using the Quantum Hydrogen Energy denomination to say it’s not nuclear.

Dennis Bushnell talks about LENR

just past 8 minute mark in this interview.

Here again he is not talking about LCF, and mentions ongoing work still with the Widom-Larsen theory. Maybe Zawodny is still doing this stuff?

From hearing this, Is clear to me that Bushnell doesn’t consider LCF to be LENR related.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• From hearing this, Is clear to me that Bushnell doesn’t consider LCF to be LENR related.

Except that he refers to it as LENR. Interesting in that he said NASA is funding LENR at $2-300,000/year. Not much if correct, but better than nothing. And also, that NASA collaborates with others, but can't talk about them due to NDA. I am guessing that one of those is the mysterious Vladmir Pines. I sure would like to know more about his role in all this.

• Except that he refers to it as LENR. Interesting in that he said NASA is funding LENR at $2-300,000/year. Not much if correct, but better than nothing. And also, that NASA collaborates with others, but can't talk about them due to NDA. I am guessing that one of those is the mysterious Vladmir Pines. I sure would like to know more about his role in all this.

Well, Just to clarify my point, I heard him talking about them working in LENR from the Widom Larsen theory, so I wouldn't at all say he was referring to LCF, which has nothing to do with Widom Larsen theory. He even mentions that their LENR work is based in "weak nuclear", so nothing to do with LCF, which aims to DD fusion which is strong nuclear.

From what Bushnell says in this interview I deduce that the Widom Larse based LENR work they started in 2011 with Zawodny has never ended, and that he doesn't mention at all the LCF stuff.

ETA: Just realized the video is 1 year old already, so this reinforces my deduction that Bushnells wasn't talking about the LCF program.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• The work at NASA GRC is based on the idea that gamma radiation with energy greater than 2.22 million electron volts (MeV) can cause deuterons to disintegrate into protons and neutrons. The gamma radiation is produced by a high voltage electron accelerator. Bremsstrahlung gamma rays are produced as the high voltage electrons are slowed down in a metal target. Protons and neutrons produced in the disintegration process will each have about 240 keV of kinetic energy. In a second step, the neutrons produced are envisioned to scatter against atoms of the metal absorber and against deuterons in the absorber. Neutron scattering against deuterium is an elastic process. Neutron velocity will be moderated; and only about half of the energy will be given to the deuteron. Scattering of the neutrons with about 240 keV of kinetic energy against deuterons, however, will result in deuterons with sufficient kinetic energy (velocity) themselves to fuse with other deuterons in the absorber. The fusion reactions can produce about equal amounts of helium-3 and neutrons, and also tritium and protons. These will have MeVs of kinetic energy that, by scattering in the absorber, could possibly result in useful heat energy. Subsequently, neutrons with 240 keV of energy and the neutrons with higher energy from the fusion process could be absorbed into the metal atoms, producing isotopes with higher mass. Protons having 240 keV of energy and protons with higher energy could be absorbed into the metal atoms, producing elements with higher atomic number. The probability (nuclear cross section) for each step should be considered to determine the potential for success of GRC’s approach.

• Protons and neutrons produced in the disintegration process will each have about 240 keV of kinetic energy. In a second step, the neutrons produced are envisioned to scatter against atoms of the metal absorber and against deuterons in the absorber. Neutron scattering against deuterium is an elastic process. Neutron velocity will be moderated; and only about half of the energy will be given to the deuteron. Scattering of the neutrons with about 240 keV of kinetic energy against deuterons, however, will result in deuterons with sufficient kinetic energy (velocity) themselves to fuse with other deuterons in the absorber. The fusion reactions can produce about equal amounts of helium-3 and neutrons,

Neutrons neutrons neutrons..

not cold fusion

• The first one is interesting as they are openly admiting questioning themselves if LCF is LENR or not. Nothing really new but this change of perspective is good to read, and they also admit they have seen evidence of both fusion and fission taking place at the same time. This is “outrageous” by conventional nuclear science but confirms what many of us already know.

The second one is addressing health hazzards from long exposure to neutron emissions (they see neutrons in their LCF experiments), thinking on the long term space travel.

• Shane D.

Changed the title of the thread from “NASA’s updated Lattice Assisted Nuclear Fusion revamped site (Have Fleischmann and Pons been finally vindicated?)” to “NASA’s Lattice Confined Fusion (LCF)”.
  • Interesting:

LCF Survey Questionnaire – Survey Portal (aerospace.org)

This survey is being conducted by The Aerospace Corporation on behalf of NASA’s Space Technology Mission Directorate (STMD) to get an up-to-date picture on the “who’s who” within the Low Energy Nuclear Reactions / Lattice Confinement Fusion research areas, and other topic areas that are either supportive of, or parallel to LENR / LCF research. Upon completion of this survey, Aerospace plans to perform a study that evaluates the feasibility of establishing a Community of Interest aimed at furthering research in LENR / LCF areas.

• Alan Smith :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now very interesting what propose AEROSPACE CORP i have to anwer thanks Shane D. :thumbup:

Agree. With this new NASA initiated survey by The Aerospace Corp development, DOE ARPA-E, Anthropocene, LENR Forum, and eventually the X-Prize, we now have some serious assets lining up to get the word out to the public about LENR.

I see also that Steven Krivits of New Energy Times is back and attending ICCF25, and promising to promote the science. Add it all up, and this may be the most extensive positive exposure the field has had in it's history. Now it is up to you scientists to give us more good news to report on.

• Hopefully the next contract awarded is for our kind of nuclear:

NASA, Pentagon award contract to build nuclear-powered rocket engine (msn.com)

Lockheed Martin on Wednesday won a contract to build a nuclear thermal rocket engine, a key technology long coveted by both NASA and the Pentagon that could dramatically speed up space travel and help humans get to Mars.

Under the contract, issued by NASA and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), the Defense Department unit that seeks to develop transformative technologies, Lockheed Martin will work to first fly the engine by 2027. If the company meets all the milestones, including the test flight, it will receive nearly $500 million, with half coming from NASA and half from DARPA.

• Li–Pd–Rh-D2O electrochemistry experiments at elevated voltage

Carl Gotzmer, Louis F. DeChiaro, Kenneth Conley, Marc Litz, Marshall Millett, Jesse Ewing, Lawrence P. Forsley, Karen J. Long, William A. Wichart, Pamela A. Mosier-Boss, John Sullivan, Efrem Perry, Jr., and Oliver M. Barham

AFFILIATIONS

NSWC Indian Head Division, Indian Head, Maryland 20640, USA

NSWC Dahlgren Division, Dahlgren, Virginia 22448, USA

Energetics Technology Center, Indian Head, Maryland 20640, USA

Army Research Laboratory, Adelphi, Maryland 20783, USA

U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland 21402, USA

JWK Corporation, Annandale, Virginia 22003, USA

Fibretek Incorporated, Herndon, Virginia 20171, USA

Barham Scientific LLC, Washington, DC 20017, USA

Submitted: 30 April 2023, Accepted: 1 November 2023

"In 2013, the U.S. Navy disclosed an electrochemistry procedure intended to produce MeV-energy nuclear particles, based on eV-energy

electrical inputs, which may be indicative of a new scientific phenomenon. This work is based on the 2013 disclosure and shows initial

evidence validating the prior claims of nuclear particle generation. Additionally, several variations on the 2013 electrochemical recipe are

made in order to find a highly repeatable recipe for future replications by other teams. The experiments described here produced dense

collections of tracks in solid-state nuclear track detectors, radio frequency (RF) emissions, and anomalous heat flux, which are indicative of

potential nuclear, or unusual chemical, reactions. Experimental results include tracks in solid-state nuclear track detectors similar in size to

tracks produced by 4.7 MeV alpha particles on identical detectors exposed to radioactive Th-230; RF pulses up to 6 dB above the noise floor,

which indicate that these signals were likely not background noise and not caused by known chemical reactions; and heat flux of 10 s of kJ,

measured to 6σ significance, over and above input electrical energy, indicative of unknown exothermic reactions. Six out of six nuclear track

detectors, utilized in experiments and interrogated for tracks post-experiment, produced positive results that our team attributes to thousands

of individual particle impacts in dense clusters, likely with energies between 0.1 and 20 MeV. Similar nuclear particle, thermal, and RF results

have separately appeared in prior reports, but in this work, all three categories of anomalous behavior are reported. Results indicate that the

2013 procedure may be a useful guide toward a set of highly repeatable reference experiments, showing initial but not overwhelming evidence

of a new scientific phenomenon. Repeatable recipes are shared so that other groups may replicate and extend the present work."

• OliverM.Barham..

the lead team player

":Conceptualization(equal);Datacuration (lead); Formal analysis (equal); Funding acquisition (lead); Investigation (lead);Methodology (lead); Project administration (lead);Resources(lead);Supervision(lead);Writing–originaldraft (lead);Writing–review&editing(lead)."

a collaboration

• OliverM.Barham..

the lead team player

":Conceptualization(equal);Datacuration (lead); Formal analysis (equal); Funding acquisition (lead); Investigation (lead);Methodology (lead); Project administration (lead);Resources(lead);Supervision(lead);Writing–originaldraft (lead);Writing–review&editing(lead)."

And Oliver is also the Team Leader of the US Navy's "HIVER" project. He presented at ICCF24 in the Silicon Valley. Anyone here can do a search on them and find plenty of positive comments. Very impressive and persuasive presentation IMO.

From memory, he stated his team felt publishing in a high profile journal would be one of their goals. Hopefully the Applied Physics Review (APL) qualifies?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.