Tesla Battery Day - 22 sep 2020

• On the other hand, the engine power will be dangerous for most people, almost 500hp in electric, that's something amazing !

Dangerous in the sense it might electrocute them? I think it is far less dangerous than gasoline. I have seen one automobile and two houses burn up from gasoline. One of the houses incinerated a small child. Gasoline is extraordinarily dangerous. One of the most dangerous substances in ordinary life. Only firearms are more dangerous, as far as I know.

• Official Post

Dangerous in the sense it might electrocute them? I think it is far less dangerous than gasoline. I have seen one automobile and two houses burn up from gasoline. One of the houses incinerated a small child. Gasoline is extraordinarily dangerous. One of the most dangerous substances in ordinary life. Only firearms are more dangerous, as far as I know.

I think he means that having a 500 HP motor is dangerous from the speed/control perspective.

• Many of the most vocal critics of Tesla cars have never driven one and mostly really don’t like Elon Musk. Last I checked, what I think of Elon has no effect on the quality of my car, which is hands-down the best vehicle I have ever owned. But full disclosure, I think the man is a visionary genius unequaled in the current age even if he happens to be a nutcase. A potent combination indeed.

• If everybody plugs their Teslas into the Grid at the same time wouldn't that overload the system? Elon should be providing free wind turbines and solar panel to charge them up with rather than burning fossil fuels to supply the juice from centralized power stations. And do they still explode on impact (as demonstrated by Clarkson and Co on the Grand Tour)? :)

• If everybody plugs their Teslas into the Grid at the same time wouldn't that overload the system?

There are very few Teslas, Leafs and other electric cars in most cities, so the answer is no. If everyone in Atlanta had an electric car, and they all plugged in at once at 3 p.m. in summer during peak demand, that might cause a problem. Home chargers draw 3 to 17 kW. Central air conditioners use 3 to 5 kW, so if everyone plugged in, that would be like doubling the number of residential air conditioners turned on.

However, this scenario is unrealistic. Most people commute to work, so they would not plug in at 3 p.m. I expect most people who have electric cars in Atlanta take advantage of the "night and weekend" rates, which make it cheaper to charge at night. Demand is much lower at night everywhere in the world. You can plug in the home charger and program it to turn on sometime during the night. In parts of Texas, they have so much wind power available, they make electricity free at night, and encourage people to do laundry or charge electric cars. This costs nothing to you and it is a favor to the power company. Plus it uses no carbon and causes no pollution. It is the best way to power transportation. I believe the power companies still make a profit with a fixed monthly fee in addition to a fee per kilowatt hour. Modern power meters tell them what time of day you consumed each kilowatt-hour.

In Georgia at night much of the electricity comes from nuclear plants.

• In parts of Texas, they have so much wind power available, they make electricity free at night, and encourage people to do laundry or charge electric cars. This costs nothing to you and it is a favor to the power company.

If they could store the electricity in something like gigantic batteries they might rescind this offer. That would be better for them.

• Saw today that the stock tanked because they believed everything was ready and are disappointed. But boy they are wrong. I'm working in an engineering company as a programmer and from the presentation I know for sure that the amount of innovations is staggering. I'm talking of a massive amount of patents and discoveries in order to achieve improved battery cost. The ideas are so prevailing and sound that I'm pretty sure that 50% cost cut is pessimistic and development will continue after 3 years . Really the ideas are that good. But not only this improving cost for batteries is atm really tough. It's insanely tough. Why? Please look at their presentation, the price per kWh has flatten out and there is essentially no improvement at all now, although the immense work and high focus to improve the battery technology. Now think about a competitor. They do not have the luxury to be first to reinvent the production process with this holistic approach, they have to side step the patents and redo what one of the most innovative companies on earth have done. They will need to work 10x harder or license the technology from Tesla. Had it been simple and a 50% cost reduction had materialized today it would have been easier for the competition. I would not be surprised if not Tesla essentially will take over the world in 5 years time. I will probably wait for the drop of the TESLA stock to calm down and then buy myself a few of them for fun.

• When thinking about the drain on the grid from electric car charging, it is important to be realistic. Yes, fully charging a Tesla might require 75 kWh of energy, but how often does one need to replenish the whole battery pack? Most people drive something like 30 miles on a typical day (pre-Covid, that is). That uses about 7 kWh, about the same as running your electric oven to bake a loaf of bread. If you drive hundreds of miles every day, then yes, you will be using lots of electricity. But what percentage of drivers do that? Having the whole fleet go electric will certainly draw more power from the grid. But just like having an electric car increases your home electricity use (assuming you charge at home), the impact is surprisingly small.

• I suspect that even if the suncell or cold fusion materilzies batteries for cars is now the future. It will make economic sense to put a 75% cheaper battery (in say 5 years time) due to the simplicity and economy and great driving experience in stead of a energy generator. I heard that for companies that drive a lot tesla is today the most cost effective solution compared to ICE's due to the simplicity of the drive train and low cost of electricity (at least here in Sweden).

• A cold fusion battery is unnecessary because you just have to convert a conventional engine by Ericsson cycle then use the Lenr module as an external compressed air heater.

And so you kill Elon's business :)

I suspect that even if the suncell or cold fusion materilzies batteries for cars is now the future. It will make economic sense to put a 75% cheaper battery (in say 5 years time) due to the simplicity and economy and great driving experience in stead of a energy generator. I heard that for companies that drive a lot tesla is today the most cost effective solution compared to ICE's due to the simplicity of the drive train and low cost of electricity (at least here in Sweden).

• A cold fusion battery is unnecessary because you just have to convert a conventional engine by Ericsson cycle then use the Lenr module as an external compressed air heater.

And so you kill Elon's business :)

And I doubt that you are right on this. Of cause this is possible and some will want this solution. But I would not want to pay for that extra loss of space and complexity. If the battery is cheap enough it will win and I think it will be cheap enough in the end after watching the development at TESLA.

• Now think about a competitor. They do not have the luxury to be first to reinvent the production process with this holistic approach, they have to side step the patents and redo what one of the most innovative companies on earth have done. They will need to work 10x harder or license the technology from Tesla.

There is nothing to license as Tesla owns no battery patents! The only thing they own is traction control software what includes accumulator balancing etc.. But all major companies engage in formula E and formula one where all cars use cutting edge electric solutions like super caps for ultra fat power recovery! So it could turn out the other way round...

I would never buy Tesla stock as it is massively overrated. But this always happens when people are blinded or try to blind others for profit.

May be you once should have look in a Tesla giga accumulator factory. You would be surprised how few space really is occupied... Potemkin...

• Driving a Tesla3 on country roads..can be dangerous.

Although the low slung battery(480kg) gives good stability on corners

The problem is macho drivers trying to "take down a Tesla"

I usually slowed down a bit to let them overtake especially on uncambered blind corners on rural NZ highways..

Several let out a jeer as they sped by..in their petrol car... not all were young males.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• There is nothing to license as Tesla owns no battery patents! The only thing they own is traction control software what includes accumulator balancing etc.. But all major companies engage in formula E and formula one where all cars use cutting edge electric solutions like super caps for ultra fat power recovery! So it could turn out the other way round...

I would never buy Tesla stock as it is massively overrated. But this always happens when people are blinded or try to blind others for profit.

May be you once should have look in a Tesla giga accumulator factory. You would be surprised how few space really is occupied... Potemkin...

So you are saying that the tech they talk about is not patented but common knowledge. This is not how corporations work, trust me, from the presentation it is clear that we are talking about a massive amount of patents they own, all else would be crazy. Also formula e is not attacking the problem of cheap manufacturing far from that. Just wh/kg not wh/$ as I said look at the stats for the cost of kw/$ it's stationary! although we have these formula E event. It is like buying tomatoes and other vegetable. They are good looking but taste like water. If they would start selling proper tomatoes people would eat them like crazy. Again the target of optimization is not the right one.

• Currently Panasonic delivers the stacks. The next one is made in China. Sorry Tesla only owns high level patents and produces at lot of hot steam with feature nonbody realy needs.

What, a 50% cut in production price of the battery is what no one needs. That's 95% of their show. They could add on top of this a self aware HALL computer as your autonomous driver but this was just mentioned in a passing. Personally I would skip the high tech stuff and have a simple car with good range an price an comfort and nice to drive as I enjoy driving. But then I'm not commuting every day am I. High level patents are the good patents that protect the most, low level ones tend to be easy to side step.

• So you are saying that the tech they talk about is not patented but common knowledge.

Tesla had many patents, but they decided to put them all in the public domain. See:

https://www.tesla.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

Along the same lines, Toyota put 24,000 hybrid vehicle patents into the public domain. This makes good business sense. I do not know if the same reasons apply to Tesla. See:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04…brid-car-related-patents/

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.