Update of Russ George's blog: tiny ‘atom-ecology’ cold fusion fuel pellets

• Sounds like it would be helpful if the lower material would come up and make it more easily available..

• More data plots from Russ George's blog "Atom Ecology". I reproduce them here for the purpose of critique and review.

The famous gamma counts. Both plots below are from the blog entry titled "Nothing compares to being at the lab bench" posted on May 8 2018. Underneath each plot is its original caption. The unlabeled numbers on horizontal axis in the first plot are probably showing seconds. The unlabeled numbers along the vertical axes in both plots probably show counts.

First figure

"The peaks showing here are perfectly reproducible. The apparent background is in fact a bit elevated above the lab background (note those few deep spikes) so the reaction doesn’t seem to want to shut down, just settles down. The apparent radiation dose, in human terms, is less than that one might receive in a dental x-ray. Most important here are the bits without the higher level gamma radiation! It beckons one to be prudent with power demands and teaches that without prudence there is potential danger. This is data from one of three Geigers being used to monitor the experiment(s)."

Second figure

"Lovely Cold Fusion Gamma Rays — they keep on beaming beautifully and thanks to some well established ideas in cosmic ray muography are behaving quite predictably."

The periodic gamma excursions occur spontaneously and are roughly 24 hours apart. The reactor temperature appears to be 200-300 degC (although this is not well described). George thinks that the excursions are triggered by solar cosmic rays (relativistic protonium I think it was). I don't know if they have nailed this down yet or not. Gamma outburst can apparently also be evoked purposely in the lab by some protocol not yet revealed. The Atom-Ecology crew has apparently not considered the possibility that the periodic excursions are due to an intrinsic rythmicity in the LENR mechanism

• Rhythmicity ..? looking forward to BruceH's virtuoso piece on intrinsic rythmicity in 3/4 time.

and the incorporation of the Takahashi cadenza..

Already done. In the summer of 2018 I put up in the Androcoles thread (since take down) about 10 long posts laying out how heat-activated LENR heating would appear when measured in Alan's Looking for Heat reactor chambers. I made a series of the simplest assumptions that still matched what Alan was describing as the activation properties of the fuel. I used techniques of nonlinear dynamical systems theory to compactly express the global properties of the fuel/reactor system. Simply positing a sigmoidal temperature-dependent activation of the LENR mechanism and Newtonian cooling of the reactor leads to the following qualitative bifurcation diagram for the fuel/reactor system

If you follow points (1) to (4) in the diagram you are following what should happen to the temperature in response to first an increase in the power of applied external heating, and then a decrease. This should all make for a distinctive cooling curve consisting of a high-temperature plateau followed by a sudden decrease in temperature when external heating is suddenly cut off. Without LENR heating the cooling curve would be exponential.

When I heard, in 2018, that the gamma outbursts were self-limiting, I added to the mix an assumed temperature-dependent inactivation mechanism for the LENR mechanism. One that would act on a slower timescale than the activation. Adding this property produces a system that bursts spontaneously (without the need for external heating) with each burst collapsing as inactivation builds up. The burst are periodic, however, because once you transit to lower temperatures the inactivation wears off. The period of the bursts is set by the balance between between the timecourse of de-inactivation and the maximal strength of LENR heating. The periodic temperature bursts look as in the bottom picture below...

There is much more. Many more diagrams and detailed explanations of the underlying theory. All was lost when LENR forum deleted the Androcles thread

• Official Post

No. However there is a fair use exemption for this sort of thing ... n particular for reproducing graphics or text for the purpose of critique and review.

I for one, am willing to take a wait and see approach. If David gets a complaint...well, you know the drill. My belief is that discussing Russ' comments made on his public blog is protected speech. Any amateur legal beagles know more about this? Copying text/images from there to here, may be a little more sensitive.

Carry on. (for the time being).

• I continue to present data plots from Russ George's blog "Atom Ecology". I reproduce them here for the purpose of critique and review.

This one is from Mr George's July 9, 2018 blog entry entitled Huygen's synchronicity observed in Atom-Ecology and cold fusion. It shows 2 concurrent time courses: one (in red) showing excess heat and the other (in black) showing "Gamma Rays". The unlabeled horizontal axis shows time stamps in what seems to be hours, minutes, and seconds. The unlabeled vertical axis is just plain unlabeled. No numbers and no units are shown. The text below the figure is the George's original caption.

"The behaviour of two cold fusion reactors thermal atomic ‘clocks’, started 02 May 2018 and faithfully still performing and displaying this behaviour like a pair of fine ‘Dutch’ clocks. They are electronically separated though perched on the same lab bench like Huygens clocks, and are repeatedly and randomly started and stopped, yet they always become synchronized. Sychronicity of anomalous heat production (cold fusion) is displayed in the fine structure in red while the black trace shows one ‘reactors’ gamma signature synchronizing with the disparate yet synchronous feedback heat signals of the twin reactors. Keep in mind that the gamma signal is on average 1 million times less prominent than the heat signal."

I don't know how to relate the black gamma trace to earlier figures from Russ George's blog. Is this supposed to be taking place during one of the once-a-day gamma outbursts? Is it from one of the low-gamma interburst intervals? Is it evoked by a protocol George says he can use to provoke heat and gammas? All unknown. In any case, eyeballing it, the black trace seems to be periodic with larger peaks occurring at about 4 times per 10 minutes and smaller peaks occurring about 50 times every 10 minutes (all as judged by eye) The red trace showing excess heat production is similarly periodic with peaks arriving about 6 times per 10 minutes modulated into packets that last about 16 minutes. I don't know how this "heat" is measured and I don't know what the reactor temperature is doin all this time, nor do I know the mean temperature.

George seems to think that the gamma activity and heat production are synchronous although it doesn't look that way to me. It would be interesting to see autocorrelation and crosscorrelations for the traces,

The red heat trace looks just like a linear sum of sine waves of slightly different frequency. When I say "just like" I don't mean a bit like or even substantially similar to ... I mean exactly like. It is the sort of phenomenon you see from 2 linear oscillators with weak coupling. Below is shown a mathematical simulation of displacement in 2 such oscillators (this is taken from Figure 2 of a set of undergraduate lecture notes for a class conducted by Matthew Schwartz of Harvard, available at http://users.physics.harvard.e…3-Coupled-Oscillators.pdf).

These 2 oscillators are synchronized in the sense that they are 180 degrees out of step with each other. The energy is sloshing back and forth from one to the other as shown by the slowly changing envelopes of the amplitudes. These are manifestly linear phenomena. It confuses me a bit that these are linear phenomena whereas heat-activated LENR heat production, which is supposed to be what characterizes the Atom-Ecology fuel, should be basically a nonlinear process.

• In his blog post "Huygens synchronicity observed in Atom-Ecology and cold fusion" (July 9, 2018), Russ George makes some surprising assertions. The Huygens synchronicity he refers to in the title of his post to derives from an observation by 17th century inventor and polymath Christiaan Huygens that if he placed 2 of his pendulum clocks on a shelf, they would sooner or later countersynchronize, with the pendulums swinging in opposite directions at the same frequency. George's surprising statement is that he appears to think that mechanical clocks like this synchronize through quantumn entanglement.

Here is what he says "Huygens mystery has remained just that for centuries and it is a popular research topic. There is some consensus of opinion that the synchronicity, or in Huygens case an all important out of phase synchronicity, derives from sound/vibrations from one clock reaching out to the other. But no study has shown sufficient measurement of the power of the transmitted sound being adequate to produce the synchronous/asynchronous coupling of the separated clocks. This has led to many scientists suggesting the explanation will be found in the strange entanglement of matter. Einstein’s spooky action at a distance."

No. Many scientists do not suggest that macro mechanical systems like clocks synchronize via entanglement. They all think it is via classical mechanical coupling. The math underlying this phenomenon is well understood, it is taught in undergraduate courses. Maybe George is thinking of the vibrational synchronization that has been experimentally shown to exist in Bose-Einstein condensates in a lattice. They are frankly quantumn. They aren't big clocks on a shelf. Here is a link to a popular science piece on them Classical synchronization indicates persistent entanglement in isolated quantum systems.

The second surprising statement George makes is that turbulence is a force. In fact he says that it is a force that "rules" electromagnetism, the strong and weak forces, and gravity. Maybe he is just being poetic. Maybe he thinks that an understanding of turbulence will deepen our grasp of how the 4 fundamental forces play out practically. I'm all for that. Turbulence it isn't a force though.

The third and last surprising statement is that he thinks the synchronization he sees between his fuel pellets has something to do with quantum entanglement. This one I don't know enough about to agree or disagree. Its surprising though.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.