Update of Russ George's blog: tiny ‘atom-ecology’ cold fusion fuel pellets

• Continuing to discuss the data plots in Russ George's "Atom Ecology" blog. This time ... synchrony.

George claims that, at times, the activity in a fuel pellet in a particular reactor can fall into synchrony with activity from another fuel pellet in a separate reactor. The figure below is displayed as evidence of this (or at least that is my best guess). I also include the original caption (ltalics)

The behaviour of two cold fusion reactors thermal atomic ‘clocks’, started 02 May 2018 and faithfully still performing and displaying this behaviour like a pair of fine ‘Dutch’ clocks. They are electronically separated though perched on the same lab bench like Huygens clocks, and are repeatedly and randomly started and stopped, yet they always become synchronized. Sychronicity of anomalous heat production (cold fusion) is displayed in the fine structure in red while the black trace shows one ‘reactors’ gamma signature synchronizing with the disparate yet synchronous feedback heat signals of the twin reactors. Keep in mind that the gamma signal is on average 1 million times less prominent than the heat signal.

Synchrony is mentioned in the caption but I see no direct evidence for it in the figure itself. In the absence of labels on the vertical axis I will assume the red trace is reactor temperature (although in the caption it is said to represent "synchronicity" and in the red-lettered label under the plot it seems to be rate of excess heat production). I would now normally expect to see a similar trace from a different reactor so that we can compare the two and examine them for signs of synchrony. But no. There is no other heat-related trace visible. The red trace certainly looks like something I know, it looks like the time course of a state variable from a system consisting of 2 linear oscillators with weak coupling. In such coupling, this state variable would be antisynchronized with a sate variable the oscillator. I am puzzled , though, that this all looks so linear. It looks exactly like the superposition of 2 sine waves and this is untypical of nonlinear systems (both the superposition part and the sine wave part). This is a problem because I take the Atom Ecology fuel to constitute a nonlinear system both because of its bursty behaviour and because of its apparently nonlinear dependence of reaction rate on temperature. Perhaps what is happening is that the temperature oscillations are tiny compared with the nonlinearities in the system and so they act almost linearly.

In any case ... there no direct evidence of synchrony of heat generation shown here.

There is another synchrony mentioned here. The caption mentions that "the black trace shows one ‘reactors’ gamma signature synchronizing with the disparate yet synchronous feedback heat signals of the twin reactors". I am not sure what this means. I don't know what the "feedback heat signals" means exactly. What I do know is that there is no evidence in the figure of the black trace synchronizing with anything. The black trace (gamma counts?) is strongly periodic at about 4 cycles per 10 minutes. The red trace is strongly periodic with periods of about 6 cycles per 10 minutes and a "beat" amplitude modulation with a period of about 1 cycle per 20 minutes of so. But I don't see how the black trace synchronizes with the red trace in any way. Perhaps what is meant is that these gamma oscillations and the heat oscillations sometimes appear and sometimes go away and that they both arrive at once when they do show themselves.

In any case ... no direct evidence of synchrony between gamma emission and heat generation is shown here.

So there is not direct graphical evidence of synchrony of anything presented in this particular blog post (Huygens synchronicity observed in Atom-Ecology and cold fusion, July, 9 2018). I realize that Mr George's blog posts are intended to be ruminations rather than scientific productions. But considering that this is supposed to be one of the most incredible discoveries of the past half century, one that will save the world from hunger and global warming, I think it valuable to point out just where there is actual evidence of something or other and where there is not. In this blog post ... mostly not.

• Russ George has worked with Arata probably you don't know who he was ?

Rossi refers himself to Arata"s understanding too surely from the expertise of your mouth only a bad sign.. However Takahashi ( you know ?) worked also with Arata.

What else, okay, could you share your background in the field ?

• However Takahashi ( you know ?) worked also with Arata.

I do not think he worked with Arata. He did some experiments similar to Arata's, using thin film strips chopped up, but as far as I know Arata did not cooperate. Takahashi and the others had difficulty making the material, and Arata did not help.

• Do you just think or really know it???? You can easily find out: Ask Takahashi....

That is what Takahashi and others told me. They said they have to make the material from scratch, because Arata would not give them any. But I do not have a lot of details. There may have been some cooperation I did not hear about.

Arata was extremely uncooperative, to say the least. He was difficult to work with. Difficult to be in the same room with. I saw him go into a towering rage over what I considered a trivial delay, and then he launched into an extreme diatribe about events in the 1940s, yelling: "They tried to stop me, but I showed them! I showed them all!!" It was like a scene from a bad sci-fi movie, with a wild-eyed professor wanting to blow up civilization. I was sitting next to a newspaper reporter from a major Japanese newspaper, gabbing in Japanese. The reporter asked me "is this guy stark staring bonkers, or what?" I said, "yes, he is pretty crazy."

I know of several similar incidents. However, despite all that, they did name a major international prize after him, and they named a building on the campus of Osaka National University after him while he was still alive, which is remarkable.

He was also an ultra-nationalist right winger, wanting the nation to return to Emperor worship. He made some videos advocating this, available on Youtube. As an American, I find that distasteful, because the Japanese army killed millions of people in the name of that ideology, including 161,000 Americans.

• How far along is Russ George's Atom-Ecology technology? In the Summer/Fall of 2018, George made multiple comments on his blog concerning the readiness of the system for widespread dissemination. I think it is fair now, almost 2 and a half years later, to look back and compare the claims to reality. Overall, in 2018 Russ George was portraying the Atom-Ecology system as already in hand, reliable, simple to make from common materials, and simple to operate. Although it hasn't worked out that way, he believed then that that it would be ready to distribute within months. Here are various statements backing this up...

Timeline:

Aug 8, 2018: "It is being made ready to deliver to the world in months not years."

Aug 8, 2018: " When, you ask, ‘real soon’ means beginning within months not years."

Aug 10, 2018: "I’m working as fast as I can to deliver it to store shelves, a task that ought to take months not years."

Aug 19, 2018: "The moral of the story is if all you need is ‘hot water for your bath’ it may be that we are effectively there today."

Aug 21, 2018: "It is time to start shit disturbing and delivering alternative clean green energy to those who needs it most and can least afford it. I believe this could be developed and delivered in months not years.

Sept 26, 2018: "...we find we have the first dramatically demonstrable cold fusion technology proven in both practice and theory."

Simplicity of construction and use:

May 10, 2018: "By the way I also prepare and load this fuel in air..."

Aug 8, 2018: "Made by my own hand out of incredibly cheap and common materials"

Aug 8, 2018: "Nothing in the manufacture and application of these tiny cold fusion pellets cannot be taught to the poorest of this world

Aug 10, 2018: "In practical using your toaster as a dual purpose toaster ‘cold fusion space heater’ will be simple to. Just put your

slice(s) of ‘cold fusion toast’ into your regular toaster, push down the toaster lever for a short toasting cycle and then let cold fusion do the work – keeping your faith and your kitchen warm and toasty for the next few hours."

Aug 10, 2018: " There is no reason to think that cold fusion energy is going to be the exclusive playground of giant industrialists. It can be a simple and practical a sliced bread"

Reliability:

Aug 14, 2018: "Today six cold fusion reactors are baking atom-ecology fuel mixtures and are reliably producing periodicity in both the cold fusion heat and gammas

Sept 22, 2018: "Many repeats of the experiment have produced a steadily stable long term cold fusion effect."

Sept 28, 2018: "... this is truly functioning cold fusion that so far works every time."

As of Sept 2020, the Atom-Ecology team are said to still be be "putting their ducks in a row" for either publication or something else. The actual intentions are not clear. Whereas in August 2018 Russ George was talking about the Atom-Ecology fuel as knowledge that would benefit human kind by racing to disseminate it as quickly as possible "Make money, yeah that’s possible but nah… Save the world first and let the manna from heaven fall where it will.", by June 4, 2019 he says that the intention is to handle product development himself "Atom-Ecology is presently working on its first, Series A, investment offering. With the finance in hand, we believe we can assemble the engineering team to allow us to, within 2-3 years, deliver practical cold fusion heating devices ready for mass production."

• Official Post

And how much success and how much cash has that resulted in so far? I don't believe you know anything at all about raising private finance in the present day.

I wholeheartedly agree, is hard enough to raise cash for development of innovative ideas that are based in “mainstream science”, Let alone for ideas that defy it.

• And how much success and how much cash has that resulted in so far? I don't believe you know anything at all about raising private finance in the present day.

I am saying that there are pathways to Russ George's stated goals that do not require him or you to raise any cash at all. I've stated one. If you think it is not the one you and the Atom Ecology crew want to follow, then fine, that is a policy decision. But you are trying to paint a picture that no other options exist, and that simply isn't true.

-

Russ George. Atom-Ecology blog. Aug 10 2018 "Make money, yeah that’s possible but nah… Save the world first and let the manna from heaven fall where it will. I’ve got grandchildren to leave a better world to."

• You are very very naive. This is not 1950, or even 1970.

Are you saying that patenting and publishing the recipe would not work? I think you are wrong. It would work better than it did in 1950 or 1970, thanks to the internet.

And how much success and how much cash has that resulted in so far? I don't believe you know anything at all about raising private finance in the present day.

Making a recipe public will not raise cash. That is not the strategy. It will raise attention. The idea is to start a chain reaction of replications, increasing exponentially, until everyone in the world realizes the claim is true. At that point you will get all the funding you want. Assuming you have a patent (or a patent application).

Based on my knowledge of the traffic at LENR-CANR.org, I think this strategy would work. No one has tried it, except Mizuno and I. We have had some success, albeit no exponential increase. Not yet, anyway.

I do not know if this strategy will work for you, but I am certain that keeping it secret will not work. Perhaps you are not keeping it secret. You have claimed that qualified people have seen it. I do not know who they are, whether they are qualified, or what they have seen, so I do not know what you mean.

• Atom Ecology is not my business, it belongs to Russ. I have no role in it's decision making, I offered him lab space and technical support, which he can still use.

Do you have any knowledge of the formula? If you do, you will have to sign a patent application, if Russ wants one. The Patent Office will say it is your business. (The U.S. Patent Office, would, anyway.)

Do you have detailed knowledge of the test procedures and results? Do you know who the distinguished visitors are, what they have been shown, and what they think of it? You have described these things from time to time, giving me the impression you know about them. In that case, you are much more than a landlord. You are doing more than giving free lab space. You are playing an active role in the research. I would say that makes it your business. Perhaps not in the decision making regarding how and when to reveal this.

As far as I know, Russ George has not published his previous experimental results. I could be wrong. Perhaps he published but I never heard about it. Anyway, assuming he did not, I doubt he will ever publish these results either. So you are wasting your time assisting him and playing this active role. If you are enjoying yourself and learning, that is fine, but it is not likely to benefit anyone.

• Official Post

Jed, don't be ridiculous I am not obliged to the USPTO at all. If indeed it is the USPTO you refer to. As for what I know or don't know about Russ's research that is not a question I'm answering here, except to say that I pay close attention. I started out to write a regular account of daily activities in a LENR lab, something that many of our readers would I though be interested in. In fact I'm sure that many are. If it is unwelcome I'll stop altogether, but if I continue it will be on my own terms. BTW, I think Russ has two items in your own library, which you seem to have forgotten about.

• . I started out to write a regular account of daily activities in a LENR lab, something that many of our readers would I though be interested in. In fact I'm sure that many are. If it is unwelcome I'll stop altogether, but if I continue it will be on my own terms.

That would be great! Is Russ George at work again in your lab space then?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.