Industrial Heat Peter Hagelstein, Dennis Letts LENR Patents 2020 Vision and Hindsight

• The history behind this patent is difficult to follow. In hindsight, it's my theory that the lawsuit may have been a delaying tactic agreed on beforehand by all parties involved. The past few years has been needed by more than just Leonardo Corp. for improved reactor concepts to be brought out. This time has also been well spent preparing key industries and initiating applied engineering; as seen by NASA and LENR contracts, bringing in the aerospace industry. Preparation through stock transfer has happened with the largest petrochemical corporations. All is grist for the mill and will be expounded on by future historians. Questions posed here are subject they will ponder and research better than we are able to at this time. End of life confessions or memoirs will likely disclose a few interesting facts.

Dec 6, 1989

The federal government should fund another Manhattan Project - bringing together the best brains in the country to develop cold nuclear fusion, a Kansas state senator said Tuesday.

https://www.deseret.com/1989/1…ct-to-develop-cold-fusion

Well history is history, hindsight is all well and good. Telling it well is a thing for the future.

Vision is best for looking at something before us now. Here is an important patent, just filed by Industrial Heat, invented by Peter Hagelstein. Does it infringe on other patents filed, granted or denied? Looking closely into all relevant areas will answer this to some degree.

Will it likely be granted? Is a reactor already operating and being tested and certified for market entry? Will they be ready in time? These questions are speculations, requiring forward looking vision. Best seen as an educated guess or skilled prediction; to hypothesize.

I imagine some will want to reference the historical lawsuit and tests. Others will want to discuss Rossi and debate his value or integrity. Plenty of discussion of these is found elsewhere, no drawn out discussions of these here please. References to these are acceptable if needed.

This thread posting and discussion should focus on the following...

Vision - Analysis and forward thinking hypothesis regarding this patent, the company, and the inventor.

First a bit of ancient history Dec 6, 1989

The federal government should fund another Manhattan Project - bringing together the best brains in the country to develop cold nuclear fusion, a Kansas state senator said Tuesday.

https://www.deseret.com/1989/1…ct-to-develop-cold-fusion

The Patent https://patents.google.com/patent/US20200211728A1/

Excitation Transfer Implementations for Non-Exponential Decay of Radioactive Species

Abstract

A method of excitation transfer to a radioactive source is provided, the radioactive source having a natural radioactive decay rate. The method includes: energizing a stimulatory device coupled to a radioactive source, thereby exciting the radioactive source to decay at an enhanced rate that is higher than the natural radioactive decay rate. An excitation transfer apparatus includes: a support element; a radioactive source mounted on the support element, the radioactive source having a natural radioactive decay rate; a stimulatory device coupled to the support element; and a driver operatively connected to the stimulatory device to energize the stimulatory device, wherein upon energization, the stimulatory device excites the radioactive source which thereby decays at an enhanced rate that is higher than the natural radioactive decay rate.

Inventor: Peter L. Hagelstein

Worldwide applications

Application US16/810,889 events

2020-03-06 Application filed by Industrial Heat, Llc

2020-07-02 Publication of US20200211728A1 Status Pending

Parent Applications (1)Priority PCT/US2018/048981 2017-09-072018-08-30 Continuation Excitation transfer implementations for non-exponential decay of radioactive species

• Official Post

I like the fact that the patent references both Cardone and Karabut. Their work has been ignores for too long.

"Theory motivates the use of a high frequency, as high as possible, but suitable commercial sources for THz vibration excitation are not readily available. Collimated X-ray emission in the Karabut experiment and in the Kornilova experiment seem to implicate lower frequency vibrations. Cardone and coworkers have reported a variety of effects in experiments in which a steel bar is subject to vibrations at 20 kHz; including neutron emission, alpha emission, and elemental and isotopic anomalies. Cardone and co-workers have interpreted their effects in terms of a model based on deformed space-time; however, it is possible to imagine that an up-conversion mechanism might be involved. All of this provides additional encouragement to postulate that up-conversion effects may be observed in experiments with vibrations well below the THz regime."

• Thanks Allan... Time to study up on their works.

The patent cites no a priori, yet when calling u p the 2017 iteration it cites the early Spindletop Corp Cold Fusion patent.

Direct Generation of Electrical and Electromagnetic Energy from Materials Containing Deuterium https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2006128182A2

Following what seems to be incomplete listings of Patents Cited and often the newer and more telling Patents Cited By listings (the WO2006128182A2 patent is cited by this recent IH Dennis Letts patent. Peter and Dennis and Industrial Heat seem to be one team. The patent filing strategy is confusing.

Designs of Exothermic Reactors

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2019164521A1

Abstract

An exothermic reaction chamber includes at least one of an annular sleeve hosting a hydrogen-absorbing metal, and an electrode having either an outer diameter greater than 50 percent of the reaction chamber bore diameter, perturbations formed on the electrode outer surface, or both. The anode-to-cathode distance may be varied by controlling either or both of the thickness of the annular sleeve and the electrode diameter. Perturbations on the electrode outer surface, which facilitate electrical discharge, may be formed by winding wire around the electrode in a helical pattern, by machining the electrode, or by drilling holes through the electrode and inserting metal rods having pointed or rounded tips into the holes. Both by reducing the anode-to-cathode distance and via perturbations on the outer surface of the electrode, electrical discharge is enhanced. Electrical discharge may drive more hydrogen (deuterium) ions into the hydrogen-absorbing metal, enhancing the efficiency of exothermic reactions.

• 2020-07-02 Publication of US20200211728A1 Status Pending

Parent Applications (1)Priority PCT/US2018/048981 2017-09-072018-08-30 Continuation Excitation transfer implementations for non-exponential decay of radioactive species

This application is silly:

The method of claim 2 , wherein the ultrasonic transducer has a resonance at a frequency greater than about two megahertz . (Repeated in 13).

This is chosen to avoid friction with old sonofusion patents by Stringham going up to 2Mhz. So basically Hagelstein confirms that sono-fusion may happen and be measured. But such a claim will not override the method behind sono fusion that is independent of the frequency and medium used. So this doesn't really add anything new and it will also not block anybody from using ultrasound for inducing fusion.

Typical IH patent troll behavior.

• Wyttenbach Silly, yes. Fruitless to defend...

Perhaps, In many ways, various and numerous LENR, reactor design is public domain.

You bring up a valid observation... it will also not block anybody from using ultrasound for inducing fusion.

add edit... Were Peter or Dennis friends with Stringham? Do they cite his works? Has IH bought his patents, if any?

• Official Post

Were Peter or Dennis friends with Stringham? Do they cite his works? Has IH bought his patents, if any?

Everybody (pretty much) has met Roger Stringham and knows his work. He's a bit of a recluse these days, living in Hawaii, may have sold his patents to IH, but he wouldn't sell them to Motorola years back, so I can't be sure.

• Official Post

I have spent a significant amount of time studying the experiments and theoretical publications of Cardone and the late Mignani and team. I also have looked some of the talks of Cardone available in YouTube (fortunately he has a very good and clear accent that allows me to understand very well the Italian due to the common Latin root with Spanish).

To my best understanding they have never talked about specific frequency of the vibrations to induce the nuclear effect as Hagelstein suggest, but they talk about an energy threshold that can be achieved at an ample range of energy inputs if the geometry of the resonant system is appropriate to focus the resonant energy in a specific region of space to affect the nuclear structure. They have used 100 watts sonotrodes to cause the transmutation they allege reduces the radioactivity of the sample (they have reported experiences with Thorium and more recently with Ni63). They have published their experiments with Mercury transmutation in ultrasound exposure for periods of 300 seconds.

From their theory follows that in any vibrating system the threshold can be achieved, but a careful design of the geometry and interactions of the vibrating piece and the resonant chamber can maximize the volume of space that achieves the threshold and therefore create the nuclear affecting environment in a more optimized rate of happening. They claim those aspects are the ones that they have not liberty of disclosing due to their efforts for intellectual property in association with a private company. Most of their applications have been abandoned (they are quoted in most of their papers) but the newer that claim priority from the older are still in process.

One has to bear in mind that the experimental work of Cardone’s team started with funds from the Italian military, and they developed a sonotrode that is compressed air cooled and thus can operate for extended periods of time, which is what they claim most sonotrodes can’t do. Their reactors in the patents have one or more of these sonotrodes to generate excess heat and/or transmutation.

I contend that any ultrasound or other kind of mechanical cavitation system has the capability of creating regions of space where the resonant energy is above the threshold. Ohmasa’s patent achieves transmutation in matter of up to 6 hours with the fins of his reactors vibrating at 175 Hz powered by a 250 watt motor. He enhances the reaction using deuterium in the solutions, or tritium also, and also the palladium plated fins are quicker than plain stainless to achieve a certain amount of transmutation.

In the project that we recently got funds for, we intend to use an of the shelf ultrasonic bath, and see what we get in terms of transmutation.

I think we will be able to show transmutation with a simple device as this. Earlier works of Cardone used a sonotrode of between 20khz and 40 KHz and power of about 30 to 50 watts. They saw effects in plain water, even creation of transuranic elements with very short half-lives, in experiments with sonication of water during 30 minutes.

• Peter's no patent troll... Is there a conflict of interest being editor of the fields' journal and a market entry patent developer? Does he have a vested interest and stand to gain financial reward in his relationship with IH? Definitely relevant now. Not relevant looking back 25 years ago or, perhaps it is?

"Since 1989 he has been involved in research on the Fleischmann-Pons experiment and related phenomena. He was a principal in the 2004 DoE review of cold fusion. He was a founding editor, and is currently an associate editor, of the topical journal in the field, Journal of Condensed Matter Nuclear Science." - end quotes

One of Peters partners helps to coordinate US dominance in LENR research and market entry into aerospace applied engineering.

These IEEE Bios tell us a lot.

https://meetings.vtools.ieee.org/m/35303

• IH, on the other hand, has not much fans over here. And the patent was applied for by IH.

What has IH done that warrants such animosity?

Losing $10,000,000 dollars to the scammer Rossi?

Exposing Rossi for the fraud and liar that he is? (Proven by court documents)

Paying legitimate researchers for their work? (Note, I have not heard of ONE complaint from ANY of the several legitimate LENR research partner of theirs! Not one! (If so, someone should please provide such information and source)

Oh wait... being a capital venture firm must be the reason!

So if the above researchers are satisfied, why should people here be vilifying IH? If IH is so evil, then one would have to say these researchers are likewise as well as they are willingly and happily working with IH!

But condemning a firm for being a capital venture firm is simply a political prejudice and nothing to do with legitimacy nor even intent!

That would be the same as stating that certain researchers have "no fans" here because they do not "open source" all their IP and freely give away all! Hmmm... let's see, who does that now? I guess no one! :/

I have yet to see any evidence presented against IH of wrong doing or malfeasance except being a capital venture firm.

No, I am not a paid schill for IH, I simply do not agree painting disparaging pictures simply due to one's political bias.

:thumbup:

• Official Post

I don't care about the blunder with "il dottore", I am no fan of him either.

I have seen enough evidence of IH being somewhat predatorial in their effort to secure IP from a good part of many of the real players in the LENR field, in exchange for what many would say it's peanuts, which AFAIK is still a valid strategy for doing business, so I can't say, but for many this could seem sort of abusive, and thus the bad rap.

Personally I don't care who crosses the line first, as long as someone does, and plays fair.

• Official Post

I have not heard of ONE complaint from ANY of the several legitimate LENR research partner of theirs! Not one! (If so, someone should please provide such information and source

Then you have not been talking to the right people.

ETA. One of the people at this confenence has been complaining about IH to me only this evening. I cannot reveal who, that would be betraying a confidence.

• Then you have not been talking to the right people.

ETA. One of the people at this confenence has been complaining about IH to me only this evening. I cannot reveal who, that would be betraying a confidence.

You had supper with Rossi! :)  :thumbup:

As I said, I have not been given evidence, so that is all I can say. Hearsay is just that !

You do not say if this person was a partner / signed on with IH or not. There are plenty of people who complain about IH... just read this forum! But then again, they are not working with IH and have no real beans in the soup do they! It appears that the known legitimate researchers working with IH seem to be happy, at least I have not seen evidence otherwise.

• A new Industrial Heat USPTO patent

Note that the term "fusion" does not occur.

However, many prior LENR papers are referenced --

United States Patent 11,008,666 May 18, 2021

Inventors: Letts; Dennis G. (Austin, TX)

Assignee: IH IP Holdings Limited

Plasma frequency trigger

Abstract

An exothermic reaction assembly includes a reaction chamber and a generator operative to generate an AC electrical signal and apply the signal to the reaction chamber by superimposing the AC signal over a DC signal. A gas manifold and controller is operative to connect a vacuum pump and one or more gas chambers to the reaction chamber and to control a pressure of the reaction chamber. The signal generator is operative to create a plasma in the reaction chamber by superimposing the AC electrical signal to the reaction chamber over the DC signal. The gas manifold and controller are operative to adjust the pressure within the reaction chamber to achieve a predetermined plasma frequency.

https://patft.uspto.gov/netacg…,008,666&RS=PN/11,008,666

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.