Physicists Build Circuit That Generates Clean, Limitless Power From Graphene

• Physicists Build Circuit That Generates Clean, Limitless Power From Graphene A team of University of Arkansas physicists has successfully developed a circuit capable of capturing graphene's thermal motion and converting it into an electrical current...

In the 1950s, physicist Léon Brillouin published a landmark paper refuting the idea that adding a single diode, a one-way electrical gate, to a circuit is the solution to harvesting energy from Brownian motion. Knowing this, Thibado’s group built their circuit with two diodes for converting AC into a direct current (DC). With the diodes in opposition allowing the current to flow both ways, they provide separate paths through the circuit, producing a pulsing DC current that performs work on a load resistor.

The idea of harvesting energy from graphene is controversial because it refutes physicist Richard Feynman’s well-known assertion that the thermal motion of atoms, known as Brownian motion, cannot do work. Thibado’s team found that at room temperature the thermal motion of graphene does in fact induce an alternating current (AC) in a circuit, an achievement thought to be impossible.

Clarke's 1st law: When a distinguished scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

The team also discovered that the relatively slow motion of graphene induces current in the circuit at low frequencies, which is important from a technological perspective because electronics function more efficiently at lower frequencies. According to Kumar, the graphene and circuit share a symbiotic relationship. Though the thermal environment is performing work on the load resistor, the graphene and circuit are at the same temperature and heat does not flow between the two.

This is an important distinction, because a temperature difference between the graphene and circuit, in a circuit producing power, would contradict the second law of thermodynamics. “This means that the second law of thermodynamics is not violated, nor is there any need to argue that ‘Maxwell’s Demon’ is separating hot and cold electrons,” prof. Thibado said.

Right, it would violate 1st law of thermodynamics instead: as it generates energy without any thermal flux at the end.. See also:

• In this sense it may be significant that graphite soaked with gasoline reportedly exhibits superconductivity (the rings made of mixture exhibit "eternal" diamagnetic currents which affect compass at distance) Steorn Orbo battery did also contain graphite-electret wax mixture - and wax is composed of hydrocarbons too. Their long molecules would embed itself between graphite layers and separate them at just right distance which would increase volume of Casimir vacuum residing there.

Casimir vacuum is characterized by Scharnhorst_effect: the time runs faster, so that temperature gets relatively lower there and the graphene layer can absorb heat from environment despite that bulk system looks isothermal at the first sight. And because both graphite, both wax are cheap materials, you probably already know, what you're supposed to do..;-) See also:

Can Nano-Materials Push Off the Vacuum? (PDF) The graphene/hydrocarbon/water mixture may be Casimir nanomaterial too and in addition to superconductivity or overunity it could also exhibit levitating properties, because violation of one fundamental law implies violation of another dependent ones...

Graphene/hemathene electrodes in water idea

Maybe but galvanic effects can be always culprit of perceived surplus of energy. This applies particularly to graphite and copper covered iron electrodes, which would dissolve spontaneously into hydrogen in water.

• Official Post

Note : the power was 1.5 PICO watts.
    (Paper is paywalled, but one of the figures shows this maximum value)

Yes, is very low, but building this akin to solar panels would probably be a constant source of current, and then you would only need to scale up.

A similar concept is proposed in the book "The 4th phase of Water" as water put in contact with any kind of hydrophilic substance creates a layer of organized molecules known as the Exclusion Zone (EZ), and it has been shown that an electrode in the EZ and other away from it, does generate a significant voltage. This is powered by Infrared radiation from the environment, a.k.a. as good ole environmental heat.

• Official Post

Kind of difficult to measure with confidence . . .

I wonder how big it is. Maybe it is tiny, and if it were scaled up it would produce enough power to measure with more confidence.

The picture seems to show "chips" of around 5 square centimeters held in a tray. But, this is only a lab experiment, if research follows up, this could be a big technology.The capture of environmental heat would allow constant energy harvest.

https://campusdata.uark.edu/resources/images/articles/2020-10-01_02-47-19-PM10237_Paul_Thibido-Physics_research_lab-2-Edit.jpg

• First of all, sophisticated chips are for corporations - laymen people need simple robust device, which they could occasionally improvise itself. The practical importance of Thibaldo's findings is on theoretical side: it could help to convince both researchers, both investors, that this technology and physics behind it is real. For example this patent claims to achieve electricity generation with battery composed of graphite films suspended in PVA hydrogel of sodium silicate, where piezolectric SiO2 is formed - this is remarkably similar to many so-called crystal batteries utilizing powder graphite and piezoelectric salt as one of components.

U7rWNY7.gif 8J5GFTi.gif

the power was 1.5 PICO watts. Paper is paywalled, but one of the figures shows this maximum value

The preprint is here and they talk about ~1 picoWatts from single STM tip diode at a tip-sample distance of 2 nm. This scales up to 10 picoWatts from 1µm2, 10 µWatt from 1 mm2 and 1 mWatt from 1 cm2 - i.e. comparable with solar panels.

• I see this topic of the forum is about electricity generation by means of graphene. Graphene and other nanostructures also can be used for advanced propulsion method. Some nanoreliefs can take off part of kinetic energy of air (gas) molecules to make cooling of environmental media. Our team offer new technology to use this principle for aerospace propulsion. Read more here http://www.faraday.ru/afm.html

Simple description of the technology is attached here.

We are interested to organize expeirmental work in some laboratory, no matter what is a country of location. Our lab was closed in Russia in 2016. I am interested to find new business partners for this project.

• The preprint is here and they talk about ~1 picoWatts from single STM tip diode at a tip-sample distance of 2 nm. This scales up to 10 picoWatts from 1µm2, 10 µWatt from 1 mm2 and 1 mWatt from 1 cm2 - i.e. comparable with solar panels.

Thanks. The 2nm is the distance between the tip and the sample. They don't seem to give the horizontal dimensions... I'd GUESS that the smallest tip structure and horizontal separation would be about 10x the gap or 20nm. That would scale (using your numbers) to 10 uWatt per cm2 ??

• Ah ... he has a patent https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2018119180A1/en

In some examples, the energy harvesting device can be configured such that each of the one or more ripples can produce a power of from 1 picoWatt (pW) to 100 pW. In some examples, the energy harvesting device can have a power density of from 1 W/m2 to 100,000 W/m2.

Electrical power calculations predict each ripple can produce 10 pW of power, equivalently 25,0000 W/m2, which places it in a similar category to wind and solar energy production.

In some examples, the energy harvesting device can be configured such that each of the one or more ripples can produce a power of from 1 picoWatt (pW) to 100 pW. In some examples, the energy harvesting device can have a power density of from 1 W/m2 to 100,000 W/m2.

Electrical power calculations predict each ripple can produce 10 pW of power, equivalently 25,0000 W/m2, which places it in a similar category to wind and solar energy production.

100.000W/m2 is pure theory. In practice this is about harvesting thermal energy from surrounding air, which limits the maximum power generation significantly.
    Not mentioned, but in my opinion feasible, this technology seems to fit efficient airconditioning applications better than aiming at mainly generating electricity.

• Hello Alexander Frolov welcome to the forum.

An interesting paper, do you have any physical samples of this material?

I am interested to produce new samples (prototypes) with some interested laboratory. In 2011-2013 I made some samples and measured the effects with aerogel nanostructures and Ti2O3 nanotubes but the effects were very weak and unstable. I suppose in open air it is depend on the air humidity. Next stage of project require more funds to build the prototypes.

• Official Post

I am interested to produce new samples (prototypes) with some interested laboratory. In 2011-2013 I made some samples and measured the effects with aerogel nanostructures and Ti2O3 nanotubes but the effects were very weak and unstable. I suppose in open air it is depend on the air humidity. Next stage of project require more funds to build the prototypes.

IThis kind of technology won’t be really possible to become practical until we Achieve a fast nanoscale 3D printing technology. Manufacturing Anything In significant amounts at the nano scale is still a practical problem. I am still hoping for a breakthrough to mass produce carbon nanotube membranes, but all we have so far is membranes with nanotubes embedded in it.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.