The birth of a new reactor

• Most welcome news,

Congratulations and good luck from Chicago

• Official Post

Why is answering so difficult for you? If no one on the team knows Russ George's formulas why not just say so? If you don't want to answer then why not just say so? Why not just be straightforward instead of dancing around like this?

Why is wanting to know so important for you? Why do you keep pestering like this? Why not just tell me why you are so obsessed with Russ?

• Sorry- forgot the design bit. gerold.s supervised the basic construction and provided some new vacuum equipment. The reactor itself is mostly of standard type, with copper-sealed flanges. The water-cooled ends are unusual, but might offer some scope for relative thermometry, if not calorimetry. I am currently machining the flange covers, which is more difficult than it might seem. There are lots of things to fit inside - heater, several thermocouples and so on, and also there is to be a Macor ceramic window in one end (facing the camera) to allow the gamma spec a clear view of the fuel inside. To the left of the reactor is the mass spectrometer which is used for gas analysis - helium detection and so on. I am working on devising a capillary gas-feed for that so that you can dribble gases in slowly from the reactor. All of this is a high-vacuum environment, which is way trickier than it sounds, because at times we are looking at vacuum levels which approach that of interplanetary space, though not intergalactic space. We have run at 10-8 Mb on our old reactor, this one might just make it to 10-9.

Looks like you will be mainly focussing on confirmation of Jurg Wyttenbach 's theory, or at least part of it, rather than replicating Russ George's developments? (as you also seem to indicate in your post #24 above).
    Or are your ambitions with this project also to support Russ George in implementing of what he calls "'atom-ecology™ sticks" development?

• Why is wanting to know so important for you? Why do you keep pestering like this? Why not just tell me why you are so obsessed with Russ?

Why? Because I want to know if LENR is a real phenomenon.

Given recent developments, it now seems that the chance of a published account of the LENR work that went on in your lab in 2018-19 has faded. So it would be nice to hear that one or more of the fuel recipes that Russ George established work in the hands of others, not just George himself. I had been hoping that you might say that your first step would be to do this and that, yes, you have the system working using the old formula. If no one actually know the recipe, however, then this is not to be.

My guess is that you are not able to use any of the George-prepared fuel pellets either ... to see if they still work. Is that correct? .

• Official Post

Bruce__H . I won't be using any of Russ's old fuel pellets, since there are none left and even if there were it would not be useful to me to do so. I would remind you that emergent science is about progress, and spending my time and money going in circles to satisfy your obsessions is not IMHO making meaningful progress. We have a promising theoretical route to prove experimentally, which involves expanding on what has been done already, not re-doing it.

• Because I want to know if LENR is a real phenomenon.

Platonic interest or pathological trolling?

So Bruce-H does not know that LENR is a real phenomenon?

LENR is a real phenomenon... for those who can read..

what has Bruce-H been doing on LF for the past few years? dreaming?

Bruce-H .. read Takahashi , Kasagi, Mizuno Iwamura

and then from the USA try reading Michael Staker.. for a start

all meticulous results backed by sophisticated calorimetry..

• Bruce-H .. read Takahashi , Kasagi, Mizuno Iwamura

and then from the USA try reading Michael Staker.. for a start

Why? Because I want to know if LENR is a real phenomenon.

Takahashi..2019

http://jcfrs.org/file/jcf20-proceedings.pdf

The anomalous heat effect (AHE) by the interaction of hydrogen-isotope-gas and

nickel-based nano-composite samples as Pd-Ni/zirconia (PNZ) and Cu-Ni/zirconia

(CNZ) powder samples at elevated temperatures around 300 °C has been studied

intensively [1,2] under the NEDO-MHE project in 2015-2017 [3], for verifying the

existing of the phenomenon and finding conditions of excess power generation in

controllable way. As reviewed in ref. [4], the 8 year-long (2008-2015) series of study

on AHE by interaction of metal nanoparticles and D(H)-gas under the collaboration of

Technova Inc. and Kobe University has become the basis for the collaborative research

of NEDO-MHE. The AHE phenomenon has been replicated by independent

experiments at Tohoku University as well as at Kobe University under the collaboration

study of the NEDO-MHE project [5, 6, 7]. Observed excess thermal power level of

AHE were on the level of 3-20 W, and more enhancement was required for industrial application.

Kasagi/Iwamura.. 2019

http://jcfrs.org/file/jcf20-proceedings.pdf

Permeation-induced transmutation phenomenon, which is completely different

from conventional transmutation by nuclear reactors or accelerators, was first reported in

2002 [2]. D2 gas permeation through a nano-structured multilayer thin film composed of

Pd and CaO thin film and Pd substrate with a target element induces nuclear transmutation

reactions [3]-[6]. The temperature of the Pd complex is typically 70°C and the pressure

of D2 gas is 1 atm. Permeation-induced nuclear transmutation reactions were firstly

observed at Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and were successfully replicated by other

institutes such as Toyota R&D center [7]. Typical target element is Cs and produced

element is Pr. Transmutation reactions of Sr, Ba, W into Mo, Sm, Pt were also observed

by this method. It seemed that 2, 4 or 6 deuterons make fusion with the target materials.

In this research, deuterium diffusion through nano-sized multilayer thin film was a key

factor and the elemental analysis was important technique

Mizuno/Rothwell.2019

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MizunoTincreasede.pdf

Abstract

We have developed an improved method of producing excess heat with nickel mesh coated

with palladium. The new method produces higher power, a larger output to input ratio, and it

can be controlled effectively. With 50 W of input, it produces ~250 W of excess heat, and

with 300 W it produces ~2 to 3 kW. This paper is a comprehensive description of the

apparatus, the reactant, and the method. We hope this paper will allow others to replicate the

experiment.

Staker.2019

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/StakerMRpreprintco.pdf

The magnitude of excess heat (Figs. 21 and 22) confirms Fleischmann–Pons heat effect from nuclear origin.

The amount of excess heat per cubic centimeter of Pd (150 MJ/cm3) or per Pd atom (14 000 eV/atom) is too large for a chemical reaction, which produces energy per atom less than 2 eV/atom.

• If only one could switch the runaway effect seen in Staker on and off at will.

The LENR effects have been proven multiple times...

Staker showed they exist for days before runaway and that they are larger after runaway.

Making LENR effects(mainly heat) larger and controllable is what much of the current R&D effort is about..

The atomecological approach may yield more stable reactors than

Pd only...(Staker) bimetallic or oligometalic (current Japanese/Italian research) reactors.

The motor effect was discovered in 1820 by Oersted.. the first commercial electric motor was in 1873.

It was called " machine de Gramme."

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenobe_Gramme

Hopefully the first commercial LENR reactor takes less than 53 years.to appear..

(1989+53= 2042.).

We (Alan Smith, Jürg Wyttenbach and myself – Gerold Schneider) started working together in October 2019 with the idea to continue with some of the experiments done at what is now called the NetZeroChem lab by Russ George and Alan Smith with the support of Jürg Wyttenbach.

Vive le(s) nouveau(x) NZC reacteur(s)!

• Official Post

Nice paper from Mitchell Swartz on Pd/Zirconia - a few years old but no worse for that.

Swartz-ICCF18-EmissionG1.pdf

Abstract-- In situ measurement for possible incremental

penetrating ionizing radiation output from an activated

nanocomposite ZrO2-PdD CF/LANR component revealed a

barely detectable, incremental emission when there was

significant energy gain. The autonomous driver minimized

background radiobiological interference. This effort

demonstrates that CF/LANR is relatively safe, with

penetrating ionizing emissions, at these power levels, of

lower biological impact than typical background sources.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.