Miles PdB paper... Might Boron be the key difference in Fleischmann’s and Pons’s Pd?

• Official Post

About the paper from Melvin Miles, cited in news thread, by Curbina

https://www.researchgate.net/p…ts_for_the_Pd-BD2O_System

and published in JCMNS vol 33 as Jed reminded

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acro…Pjcondensedzf.pdf#page=80

The question of Curbina is essential ?

Is Boron, as impurity, the key to success of Pd-D experiments ?

Is there good reason to say yes ? to say No ?

Is there way to test if boron is the miracle impurity it could be ?

Does it inspire some experiments ?

What about Mizuno-style experiments ?

Melvin H. Miles preprint about the evidence for Pd-B electrodes excess heat. Might Boron be the key difference in Fleischmann’s and Pons’s Pd?

• Official Post

It appears these results are the same Miles discussed at ICCF21. Here is an excerpt from that conference:

"Last year (2017), this same Pd-B cathode was tested again using a different calorimeter at Ridgecrest,

California (R/C). Excess power was observed, although the effect was considerably smaller than found at

the NHE laboratory in 1998. Nevertheless, the excess power of 70 mW was clearly above the experimental

calorimetric error of ±3 mW.

In summary, 9 out of 10 of my experiments using NRL Pd-B cathodes have produced excess power in six

different calorimeters. Selected examples are shown in Table 1. The calorimetric results for all ten Pd-B

experiments will be presented, and possible important properties of these Pd-B materials will be discussed.

The effects of boron added to the palladium include a much greater hardness of the metal, a much slower

rate of deuterium escaping from the cathode, the fact that boron acts as an oxygen getter, and that the Pd-B

is a two-phase material."

I believe he was also trying to get these newest results from Ridgeway, Ca. published in a major journal.

• Rumors that Boron played a role in the experiments Fleischmann and Pons performed live for many years.
    Laboratory glass beakers often contain Boron (Borosilicate glass).

Borosilicate glass can react with sodium hydride (NaOH) upon heating to produce sodium borohydride.

Something similare might have occurred with the LiOD electrolyte Fleischmann and Pons used to release Boron from this type of glass.

Doping the Pd electrode with Boron might give a more reproducable and effective set of experiments.

It's a pitty Miles did not report Helium measurements in his recent paper.

Possible reaction:

Proton – Boron-11: 1p + 11B → 3 4He + 8.7 MeV

• Official Post

This is no rumor: The old Mathey process was to float Pd on boron so the surface did alwas contain Boron.

It is far more interesting to ask the question who told them to change the process!!

Nobody told them to change it. JM shut down their Harlow (Essex) re-smelter (where two members of my family worked) which was using legacy equipment and a rather dated process and built a new smelting plant miles away in Royston (Herts)- with new equipment and using a different process.

• Official Post

Nobody told them to change it. JM shut down their Harlow (Essex) re-smelter (where two members of my family worked) which was using legacy equipment and a rather dated process and built a new smelting plant miles away in Royston (Herts)- with new equipment and using a different process.

So, if Boron turns out to be indeed important for observation of Excess Heat, the change at JM was just a serendipitous bad luck for LENR. Melvin Miles has been able, IMHO, to build an increasingly strong case for the importance of Boron in Pd for finding the so much coveted XH, but perhaps knowing better how the old process at JM was performed, would help a lot.

• I present to your attention a model of the nucleus of nickel-62 and palladium-102 ... Look at the right part of the nucleus ... Their right parts are unique ... Therefore, these substances behave identically in LENR - installations. Therefore, nickel-hydrogen and palladium-hydrogen reactions are so successful. But something else is more important !!! On the axis of the nucleus of both nuclei, on the left and on the right, protons "sit" - they give nuclei and atoms the structure of a "magnet", which ultimately plays the main role in nuclear reactions, since the nature of all nuclear reactions is "magnetic", but teachers do not read their lectures at universities about this ... Why is that? But because the teachers do not know about this physics - the new physics - the physical chemistry of the Kanarev-Cherepanov microworld ...

• If this is a given, would you mind sharing a reference source? Thanks!

I do not have this textbook in English - this one is in Russian, if that suits you -

SCHOOL PHYSICS AND CHEMICAL TEXTBOOK-10 - https://cloud.mail.ru/public/36to/9MwK4ubJN

But you also need to understand the following - I am not only a student of F.M. Kanarev. (I became him at the age of 62), but I am both the opponent of Philip Mikhailovich and the successor of the business he started ...

This forum has stuff here - "Physchemistry of the microworld" which was opened for us by the Russian physicist Kanarev F.M., 1993-2016 /? postID = 147762 # post147762

and here -

"Hydro-wave technology" Afanasyev V.S. and comments to it Cherepanov A.I.

• Official Post

Cherepanov2020 , we would greatly appreciate if you can address the issue of the thread instead of trying to convince us with about your brilliant insight.

For example, if you could tell us how can your model explain that the excess heat shows with Pd/B alloy and not with pure Pd, that would really be something that we would all appreciate.

• JM shut down their Harlow (Essex) re-smelter (where two members of my family worked) which was using legacy equipment and a rather dated process and built a new smelting plant miles away in Royston (Herts)- with new equipment and using a different process.

Yes, that is more or less what Martin Fleischmann told me. I think he said the newer equipment wastes less palladium, and the machinery produced less pollution and was safer. Fleischmann referred to the older palladium as "Type A." Here are some notes about it:

p. 23:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/Fleischmanlettersfroa.pdf

From Miles:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MilesMexcesspowe.pdf

Why Does NRL Pd – B Work ?
    Possible Factors
    • Greater Hardness Of The Metal / Does Not Deform With Loading
    • Slower Rate of Deuterium Escaping
    • Pd – B (At Low Weight Percent Boron) Is A Two-Phase Material
    → F-P Type A Pd Made Under a N2 + H2 Blanket
    → Co-Deposition Pd is Oxygen-Free

Fleischmann and McKubre special ordered some Type A material. See p. 52:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/DominguezDasummaryof.pdf

• Official Post

JedRothwell

The only conspiracy one might entertain about JM shutting down the Harlow plant was that they were using it to refine and cast beryllium. After a while there was a serious problem with Berylliosis in the foundry staff.

I have written in here about the Pd smelting process at the Harlow plant before, the whole process was rather 'hit and miss'. I doubt that they ever produced any 'five nines' metal there, though it may be that some was electrolytically refined later. Incidentally boron metal was never used in the smelt, but boric acid was used 'ad lib' as a flux. This was later mostly bound up in the dross which formed on top of the melt and was set aside since it still contained around 10- 20% Pd. When they had collected enough dross this would be re-smelted and the ingots obtained from this secondary melt then added into a subsequent melt.

So no wonder it contains boron.

• Official Post

Thanks for the account Alan Smith , I think this is an important detail because the boron present in the Pd processed in that way might be present in a very different way than the one present in the NRL Pd/B alloys which were prepared on purpose. Yet it’s interesting that boron seems to be important to attain some XH effect.

• Взаимодействие с другими людьми

Cherepanov2020 , we would greatly appreciate if you can address the issue of the thread instead of trying to convince us with about your brilliant insight.

For example, if you could tell us how can your model explain that the excess heat shows with Pd/B alloy and not with pure Pd, that would really be something that we would all appreciate.

Of course, I cannot be 100 percent sure ... But my opinion is that two nuclei - palladium and boron-10, generate a more powerful magnetic system than pure palladium ... Their nuclei have such a structure that their "union" successfully complements each other and the magnetic field at the cathode becomes more powerful under other identical conditions ... The reason is also that instead of 46 protons, which are contained in pure palladium, you get a magnetic system of 51 protons - 46 + 5 on the cathode surface .. Bor-10 is like a "tip on an arrow" in this combination of nuclei - and its - boron-10, the nucleus is very compact ... and has good magnetic properties ... Few physicists in this world of science understand that a large "cross section the capture of "neutrons in a nuclear reactor is provided precisely by the magnetic properties of the boron-10 nucleus!" What happens in such experiments? Due to the emission of photons by free electrons, the electron-electron bond in the D2O molecule is broken and deuterium and DO are obtained. Then there are two types of reactions - e-capture on a proton of deuterium and a deuterium-deuterium reaction ... Tritium is born, then deuterium + tritium and helium-5 is born, from which an alpha particle is born ... An alpha particle born from helium-5 differs from reactor alpha particles in that its energy of motion is not so great, but at the same time it is not important to us, but it is important for us that its magnetic properties are two times higher than that of deuterium due to the fact that the alpha particle two protons rotate on the same axis - two powerful magnets that are ready to react with any nucleus ... And such a nucleus can be boron-10, the reaction with which gives nitrogen-14, and if the reaction with helium-5, then nitrogen-15 ... All of the above reactions, as you should know, are energy-positive -

1d2 + 1d2 → 2He4 + γ (2.03 MeV)

∆E = (m1d2 + m1d2 - m2He4) c^2

∆E = (2.0141017778 + 2.0141017778 - 4.00260325415) amu • 1,661 • 10^-27 kg / a.u. • (3 • 10^8 m / s)^ 2 = 0.0021710141 amu. • 1,661 • 10^-27 kg / a.u. • 9 • 10^16 m^2 / s^2 = 3.245 • 10^-13 J = 2.03 MeV

5B10 + 2He4 → 7N14 + γ (11.62 MeV)

∆E = (10.012936862 + 4.00260325415 - 14.0030740048) amu • 1.661 • 10^-27 kg / amu • (3 • 10^8 m / s) ^2 =

0.001246611135 amu • 1.661 • 10^-27 kg / amu • 9 • 10^16 m^2 / s^2 = 18.63 • 10^-13 J = 11.62 MeV

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.