Frank Gordon's "Lattice Energy Converter (LEC)"...replicators workshop

• While the pits in CR-39 clearly indicate the presence of particulate radiation,

So far nobody could show consistent pits. This needs care full dummy at a similar and close by position to exclude cosmic origin.

From D-D fusion we know that there are some asymmetric events and also some spallation mechanisms do exist. So basically high energy neutrons and alphas with about 10 MeV are possible if the surface contains contaminations!

• Official Post

Thanks, good That is uploaded now, I was able to see just the first 20 minutes and then had to move.

• Frank Gordon and I are working on a how-to recipe for his experiment. As a first step, I will transfer the Speaker Notes to the Acrobat file that I uploaded. Adobe Acrobat is supposed to do this, but it does it wrong. (Adobe software is annoying!) Here is the second Speaker Note:

A lattice energy converter (LEC) is a complex device from many perspectives: physics, mathematics, electrical engineering, thermodynamics, and material science. Shown is a LEC cell connected to a DVM with a 10 MΩ internal impedance. The cell consists of a Pd working electrode codeposited from an aqueous (H2O) PdCl2 and LiCl solution. A brass counter electrode coaxially surrounds the working electrode and is positioned so that it is electrically isolated from the inner working electrode. The cell was evacuated after which hydrogen (1H2) gas was introduced into the cell, typically raising the absolute pressure to between approximately 500 to1500 Torr, and the valve is closed. The DVM was connected and a spontaneous voltage was measured. If no voltage had been measured, the cell would be disassembled and additional Pd codeposited onto the electrode and the cell then reassembled with new gas. Our experience is that if the cell doesn’t produce a spontaneous voltage on the first assembly it will after the second or third attempt. The voltage is typically highest when the DVM is initially connected and then drops to a nearly steady value determined by the load presented by the DVM’s input impedance. Over several days the voltage slowly may decline further. For the cell shown the voltage even declined to the point that the voltage changed polarity and the absolute value of the voltage started to increase. After several more days the voltage slowly returned to its initial polarity. We don’t fully understand what is happening but one possibility is that the difference in work function between the inner Pd-H electrode and the outer electrode is slowly changing.

• Official Post

Wasn't me. I don't anything about Orbo.

I think I can translate Jürg's comment to you JedRothwell . I think Jürg is not at all impressed with the generation of voltage, nor with the ionization radiation seen by Frank Gordon, he thinks is something easy to explain (I don't agree, but he already expressed that in a few comments in this thread), but also, the voltage measured is in the ballpark to the last phase of claims of a rather notorious (and sad) free energy story from Irish origin which marketed a device that produced an spontaneous voltage, but from a completely different kind of stuff (it was a flexible sandwich of materials many thought was a simple electrect harvesting energy from the environment heat, but the voltage output was very stable). The power of this Orbo thingy was in the order of the miliwatts per device, so I think Jurg is asking for that figure, I think Frank Gordon already said its is the miliwatts range also, but am not sure.

• I think Frank Gordon already said its is the miliwatts range also

Frank Gordon..Tm 45.18 the level of energy that we are measuring here is in the nanowatt range

Jean Biberian Tm 68.00

"and then to my great surprise the voltage was huge 740 millivolts and

if you do the calculations here with the resistivity and the voltage

you are in the in the micro watts not in nano watts range

• Official Post

For me the problem is that this sounds a little like a galvanic cell. Dissimilar metal electrodes in an electrolyte will produce spontaneous voltages. But that's something he must have checked out.

I have to see it all again but I’m almost sure they did controls and only with Pd the voltage is produced.

• I uploaded a new version of this paper:

Gordon, F. and H.J. Whitehouse, Lattice Energy Converter (LEC) (PowerPoint slides), in LENR Workshop in memory of Dr. M. Srinivasan. 2021: Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur.

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/GordonFlatticeene.pdf

I added the Presentation Notes from the PowerPoint slides. The Acrobat conversion was supposed to include these notes, but it didn't work. I had to transfer them manually.

The video of this presentation is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4dzTWY_aWM&feature=youtu.be

The version of the presentation given during the conference is in the Session 3 video starting at minute 37:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd6JCbnYuaU&feature=youtu.be

• For me the problem is that this sounds a little like a galvanic cell. Dissimilar metal electrodes in an electrolyte will produce spontaneous voltages.

Several people have noted that. Ask Frank about it.

We should address that in the "how-to" recipe.

The graph on Slide 15, shows Current vs. Time fluctuating all over the place. Would a galvanic cell do that? I don't think so. Here is the graph:

• Official Post

The graph on Slide 15, shows Current vs. Time fluctuating all over the place. Would a galvanic cell do that? I don't think so. Here is the graph:

A crappy one will for sure. I have been experimenting recently with a different type of battery, and its all over the place. You need to think of some good controls for this possibility.

• Official Post

A crappy one will for sure. I have been experimenting recently with a different type of battery, and its all over the place. You need to think of some good controls for this possibility.

I checked and Biberian also says it only works with the Pd go deposited electrode, and is better if the surface area is bigger. Also, the cell is filled with Gaseous H in order to produce the voltage, and is the ionization what produces the voltage, so don’t see it is a galvanic cell, at least not the classic ones that require aqueous electrolytes, the interesting thing here is that Pd

seems to capable of ionizing the H.

• Official Post

I asked Frank about galvanic cells, and pointed him to page 2 of this discussion.

I was just reviewing again the zoom meeting video (at times it gets confusing with all the different perspectives from each participant and the different accents that make harder to understand the exact words) and this was addressed, not directly as they were talking about the work function of the metals and their difference, but they are very aware of the issue that this is a galvanic cell AFAI Can tell, and they discovered this initially because they were introducing Americium to induce the ionization of the gas to create a voltage to begin with.

The astonishing and unexpected issue here is not the production of voltage, which is expected when you have ionization, but the fact that Pd alone can elicit the ionization of the gas (even much more than Americium, which ironically failed to induce voltage) that in turn induces the voltage. They are stunned by the fact that Pd reacting with H (or D) emits an ionizing radiation, and they recently realized that Srinivasan had reported it in his 1996 Fusion Technology paper. This is the stunning fact, the voltage is only an indication of this astonishing ionization.

edit to add: Needless to say that I am really interested in this because it is yet another proof of the production of so called “strange radiation”.

• The counter-electrode isn't really needed is it?

According to Gordon's hypothesis and description, the Pd-H coating on the working electrode should be emitting ionizing radiation even when it is in air. Should be measurable all on its own when the working electrode is separated from its housing. In fact, the cylindrical device housing the electrode sounds to me a bit like a sort of geiger counter.

The fast voltage spikes in slide 13 look a lot like pitting currents that happen during corrosion.

• Official Post

The counter-electrode isn't really needed is it?

According to Gordon's hypothesis and description, the Pd-H coating on the working electrode should be emitting ionizing radiation even when it is in air. Should be measurable all on its own when the working electrode is separated from its housing. In fact, the cylindrical device housing the electrode sounds to me a bit like a sort of geiger counter.

The fast voltage spikes in slide 13 look a lot like pitting currents that happen during corrosion.

Please check the 1996 Fusion Technology paper by Rout, Srinivasan and Garg, the important issue here is the espontaneous emission of some kind of ionizing radiation, the voltage is only a direct way to detect it!

This is yet another way to evidence the existence of what Matsumoto and many others had detected since 1989, the so called "strange radiation".

Paper mentioned is available (eternal thanks to JedRothwell ) here: https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RoutRKreproducib.pdf

• Please check the 1996 Fusion Technology paper by Rout, Srinivasan and Garg, the important issue here is the espontaneous emission of some kind of ionizing radiation, the voltage is only a direct way to detect it!

Rout et al don't seem to think it is ionizing radiation. The first paragraph of their Conclusion section ends with

"The energy of the emissions from palladium hydride appears to be small, as it is able to affect radiographic films (>2 eV) and thermoluminescent dosimeters (>3 eV) but did not ionize (>10 eV, average 30 eV/ion pair) gases."

From their description, I think that the Gordon lab should expect to pick up their posited ionizing radiation with a Geiger counter run over the working electrode when it is outside their assembly.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.