Frank Gordon's "Lattice Energy Converter (LEC)"...replicators workshop

• Here it is the document! Hope it will be useful.

"The cell was realised with a test tube, with four 1 mm iron wires surrounding the WE."

Pure iron wire is difficult to find. Can you specify your source?

Edit: I found some flat Fe plating electrodes available on Amazon and ordered those. The plastic CF flanges should be done around the same time as those arrive.

Using FeCl3 as a plating electrolyte might be more convenient but also prone to chemical complications. Its common use in etching copper printed circuits is a clue to possible failure modes. In such use the Fe typically precipitates out as Ferric Hydroxide, being replaced by CuCl2 in the solution.

• Thank you James Stevenson. Your contributions including the control experiments, replications, and publishing the results are outstanding. This is the scientific method at work. There can no longer be any doubt that these reactions are real. Thanks again!

• Frank Gordon is closely affiliated with NASA LCF scientists...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Pure iron wire is difficult to find. Can you specify your source?

Actually nothing that i used was "pure", since when I did the plating, it was mainly intended as a test for the plating setup. But it turned out to work right at the first attempt! I used tap water instead of deionized water (either for the electrolitic solution and for rinsing), and since I didn't had at hand the FeCl2, I used some iron wires. So purity seems to be not a concern at all.

As for the iron, I used common white annealed wires, the type that is commonly used in carpentry.

However I suggest you to use FeCl2 instead (as originally indicated by Frank), because it is more easy to control and it allows a more even deposition without having to care as much about the cell geometry.

Still, I think that having an acid pH helps in hydrogen loading, so adding some drops of HCl may be beneficial in any case.

Using FeCl3 as a plating electrolyte might be more convenient but also prone to chemical complications.

FeCl3 would probably interact with the copper in the brass. FeCl2 is less reactive, more easy to handle and... it has a more beutiful colour compared to FeCl3... ^^

• >Actually nothing that i used was "pure", since when I did the plating, it was mainly intended as a test for the plating setup. But it turned

out to work right at the first attempt!

generally speaking pure iron is not available

and iron has several type for Hydrogen absorption and diffusion characteristics, so you must pay attention to the type of iron.

So you will have the experimental setup you should select the proper property of Iron if it ie the reactor electrode.

• The attached "Lattice Energy Converter" (LEC) paper has been reviewed and approved for publication in an upcoming edition of the JCMNS. after some format changes to fit the journal. The paper documents the presentation at the LENR Workshop held in January, 2021 in honor of Dr. Srinivasan. An additional paper is being prepared to submit for publication in the JCMNS edition that covers ICCF-23.

JCMNS LEC preprint.pdf

• Thanks Frank..

I am impressed by the thoroughness such as the application of the Thomsons'work.

Has anyone looked for 'fogging' as Rout experienced? as in the Reference provided?

"Each and every palladium sample loaded/reloaded either with hydrogen or deuterium was observed to fog radiographic films kept in its close proximity in air. Strangely, even with ten layers of black paper (thickness ≃63 mg/cm2) as a filter between film and sample, fogging was observed. On the other hand, no fogging could be observed even when thin beryllium foil (≃1.4 mg/cm2), three layers of transparent polyester foils (≃10 mg/cm2), or thin aluminizedpolycarbonate (0.3 mg/cm2) were employed as filters.

• Robert, Regarding attempts so see if a LEC would fog film, we have not checked for fogging of film. We had made arrangements with a dentist who gave us some reusable dental xray chips that we were going to place near the LEC cells which the dentist would then use his equipment to readout. Unfortunately COVID hit which stopped that attempt. One of our replicators designed a cell with a plastic covered window and plans to look for radiation but I don’t have an update.

• Has anyone looked for 'fogging' as Rout experienced? as in the Reference provided?

Unfortunately X-ray films and emulsions are relatively impractical to work with. Moreover Rout and Srinivasan used "naked" films that require special care in handling and developing. Today many tapes of x-rays films are enclosed in plastic envelopes that may block the radiation before reaching the film. One interesting alternative may be to use a thin photoresist layer on a surface (it is a kind of plastic lacquer that is sprayed on printed circuit bords to sensitize them before impressing the circuit with UV, and that acts as a mask during etching).

BTW, I re-read the Rout paper recently, and I noticed that we made some small leap forward on that topic:

- we verified that the effect can also be obtained with Fe (in addition to Pd, Ni, Ti);

- we verified that the radiation is actually able to ionize gases. They concluded that it was not, but probably they used a closed ionization chamber that prevented the radiation to reach the sensitive volume;

- it is not easy to separate the effect of the radiation from the effect of the ionized gases. Probably some tests need to be run in vacuum to provide more clear results.

• Unfortunately X-ray films and emulsions are relatively impractical to work with. Moreover Rout and Srinivasan used "naked" films that require special care in handling and developing. Today many tapes of x-rays films are enclosed in plastic envelopes that may block the radiation before reaching the film. One interesting alternative may be to use a thin photoresist layer on a surface (it is a kind of plastic lacquer that is sprayed on printed circuit bords to sensitize them before impressing the circuit with UV, and that acts as a mask during etching).

My dentist tells me the modern electronic x-ray detectors (radiographic sensors) are more sensitive and easier to use than x-ray film. He stopped using x-ray film years ago. Unfortunately, the electronic gadgets are expensive. I think they cost ~$20,000. If you can get access to one, I recommend it.

Products - XDR Radiology
    Dental imaging solutions clinically engineered by dental experts for max quality, comfort & value. Experience the clarity & ease-of-use only XDR provides
    www.xdrradiology.com

• Strangely, even with ten layers of black paper (thickness ≃63 mg/cm2) as a filter between film and sample, fogging was observed. On the other hand, no fogging could be observed even when thin beryllium foil (≃1.4 mg/cm2), three layers of transparent polyester foils (≃10 mg/cm2), or thin aluminizedpolycarbonate (0.3 mg/cm2) were employed as filters.

Seems/sounds significant... Thanks

Time to study up

THz frequencies

inorganic/organic

absorb/transport

• Conference OE106 https://spie.org/pwo/conferenc…-mm-submm-wave-technology

Terahertz, RF, Millimeter, and Submillimeter-Wave Technology and Applications XV

This conference has an open call for papers:

Astronomy, Space and other areas of photonics, light, and matter

• imaging techniques, ultra-sensitive detection, applications, programs
    • artificial intelligence, machine learning, augmented reality, virtual reality, etc.
    • satellite communications
    • space based electronics and devices
    • satellite components and systems
    • space and satellite qualifications and testing
    • radiation hard electronics
    • high-energy physics and related topics
    • fusion and related topics
    • fission and related topics.
  • There are a number of X-ray technologies available, but probably a good part of them will not work with this radiation, because most of them have some kind of protective screen, that according to Rout and Srinivasan will block the radiation (if even a very thin layer of polyethilene can):

• dental films are usually enclosed in a plastic envelope, often containing a thin lead screen on one side and sometime the development chemicals on a separate compartment;
    • digital sensors are covered by a plastic surface, moreover most of them are normal CCD/CMOS image sensors, so it would be more convenient to use a "naked" webcam sensor;
    • phosphor plates (indirect radiography) may be a good chioce, but usually the sensitive surface is enclosed in a plastic cassette;
    • plain x-ray films or even B/W photographic films may be the most effective choice, but experiments need to be carried out in complete darkness, and the entire development process need to be handled in place.

Apart from these reasons, films makes experiments very slow and "one-shot": there is no possibility to make interactive adjustments. You only know the result after the experiment has ended. Moreover Rout and Srinivasan highlight that they detected the radiation with the films only when some gases where present, so the sensitivization may be due to some indirect effect and not directly to the radiation.

Cnsodering all this, probably a naked webcam sensor worth a try: it is readily available, inexpensive and real-time. The Raspberry Pi image sensors for example are very good, since they have a high resolution (5 or 8 MP) and comes in an easy to handle (and to disassemble) package.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.