Frank Gordon's "Lattice Energy Converter (LEC)"...replicators workshop

• We are... I describe this as 'a hypothesis'...

Gordon/Whitehouse hypothesize that the co-deposited surface emits radiation which ionises the free

hydrogen/air between the WE and the CE. These ions separate into positive and negative species and produce a voltage across the electrodes.

• Not proven yet.

I would be very conservative on this until robust measurements have confirmed this.

If you have a good idea or advice for a "robust measurement", please let us know.

Up to now we know that the gas become electrically conductive in both directions, and not only between the WE and CE, but also among other conductors set close to the WE (Frank tested this configuration). Also, the conductivity is not transient (does not decrease over time), but it is rather constant.

• Speaking of sensitive instruments, I've been using a Keithley 195A bench voltmeter for LEC measurements. This device has a CMOS input that is unterminated in the millivolt ranges, giving >1G ohm input impedance. Therefore, a 10 M ohm resistor in parallel with 0.1 uf cap was added at the input terminals. On the 100 mV range, around 10-15 mV is still seen even with the tips of a 1 meter shielded cable connected together. A lot of RF is also present - a fast scope shows a >500 mV p-p signal at the junction with a 10 M ohm probe, including a visibly modulated AM radio signal.

A periodic variation of around ±2 mV is also observed in the DC measurement, with a period of around 5 seconds .I'm pretty sure that this is a sampling artifact, generated by the effect of residual RF on the meter's digital input circuit. The spurious signal is largely reduced by adding a substantial ground wire from the shorted input junction to the lab's earth ground reference point, but I still have little confidence in the data collected so far.

So to summarize, measurement of millivolt-range DC at high impedance is tricky, due to susceptibility to RF and junction voltage effects. Such problems must be carefully mitigated before any experimental measurements can be made with confidence.

• The isotropic emission of tribo-generated x-rays from peeling adhesive tape [2020]

I remember an article in NATURE on the same subject about twenty years ago (maybe older, I don't know anymore). They didn't give an explanation at the time, but I think these x-rays are created by the "runaways electrons" produced by electrostatic discharges.

• Could you share references of your paper ?

The 1988 quote was from this thermo electric conversion patent by Harold Aspden. His thoughts on orthogonical

"Thermoelectric Energy Conversion US5288336A" https://patents.google.com/patent/US5288336A/en Same...p

"Thermoelectric Energy Conversion US5065085A" https://patents.google.com/patent/US5065085A/en

Well worth reading completely... Cited by 63 other patents. "

Also

"Power From Ice" http://www.aetherscience.org/w…-org/reports/Es3/esr3.pdf

From

AetherScience.org index

gbgoblenote-

Topological meta materials, nano physics and THz technologies lead us to uncharted fields of understanding. In 1988 these arts of science weren't as developed as today and, really, we've just begun to accelerate these sciences.

A recent example of interest...

A cool advance in thermoelectric conversion

A quantum effect in topological semimetals demonstrated by MIT researchers could allow for the utilization of an untapped energy source.

Steve Nadis | Department of Nuclear Science and Engineering
    Publication Date:
    December 11, 2020

A simple diagram of thermoelectric conversion Caption: In a topological Weyl semimetal, the electronic properties are controlled by Weyl fermions, which do not possess any mass and to some extent resemble photons. When an external magnetic field is applied, these Weyl fermions are able to convert waste heat into electricity extremely effectively and efficiently. Credits: Image courtesy of researchers.

• So to summarize, measurement of millivolt-range DC at high impedance is tricky, due to susceptibility to RF and junction voltage effects. Such problems must be carefully mitigated before any experimental measurements can be made with confidence.

Yes, you're right. I was aware and afraid of these problems (and other that are even more subtle) way before starting my replication. So I studied a number of possible solutions. However, in the end, when I made the actual measurements I realized that they are not so critical, for a couple of reasons: 1) the LEC voltage and current (when it works) are larger than I expected; 2) the LEC output impedance is relatively low. This means that it is possible to use an instrument with 1MOhm impedance or even lower, and this dramatically reduces noise issues. If the LEC is working it will reduce even further this impedance (because it is in parallel with the meter). Moreover the voltage and current levels are in the order of 100s mV and some uA, not too difficult to spot inside the noise (they are usually greater than the noise level, so a clear offset is visible). Using a true RMS meter is worse than usign an integrating one, because the former takes into account the noise level, the latter calcels it, because it have a null average. Also filtering is effective: my instrument had the possibility to averaging over multiple measurements and to filter out the 50Hz, so it was easier. But a conventional low pass filer at the input of the meter helps. If the meter impedance is 1MOhm, a 100kOhm series followed by a parallel 1-10uF capacitor, makes a good work.

Lastrly, measuring currents is less noisy than voltage (because the meter has a very low impedance), so it can be a good choice measuring the curent first to be sure the device is "alive".

• Micro-X-ray Sources from Flowing Gases

This paper is interesting for a couple of reasons:

1. they used an X-rays detector that has a good sensitivity in the low energy region (the Amptek-123), that is the region we are interested in for the LEC. They used a CdTe detector, but according to Amptek documentation the type of sensor more suited for low energy X-rays is a simple Si PIN photodiode! They report a count every 3.6 eV for silicon photodiodes. Not bad... It is relatively easy to design a detector circuit based on a Si PIN photodiode;
    2. if the reported generation of X-Rays by a PZT transceiver is repeatable, we could emply it to "simulate" the LEC. This could be useful to compare the behaviour of a ionized gas in contact with two metals, and to experiment with different materials and metal pairs without the burden of electroplating.
  • Another way to ionise the gas would be with radio-isotopes. In some jurisdicitons these are difficult to buy, but you can finds smoke-detector modules (Americium - Alpha) on Ebay

Metal Geiger Counter Check / Test Source - smoke detector sensor Americium HIGH | eBay
    (2) The ionization chamber fitted with a high performance and low activity of Am-241 ionization. 1) Ionization source characteristics and radiation safety…
    www.ebay.co.uk

Image 11 - Metal Geiger Counter Check / Test Source - smoke detector sensor Americium HIGH

• Yes, but radiation from Americium is quite high energy. If the paper is correct, we can get low energy X-Rays, similar to the ones presumed in the LEC, with just a piezo tranduscer (that has the additional vantage that can be turned on and off).

• Admit this idea of piezo transducer remains mine, I had already mentioned it several months ago on this thread, or 10 years ago at Jean Paul ears :)

Oui, mais le rayonnement de l'américium est d'une énergie assez élevée. Si le papier est correct, nous pouvons obtenir des rayons X à faible énergie, similaires à ceux présumés dans le LEC, avec juste un transducteur piézo (qui a l'avantage supplémentaire qui peut être activé et désactivé).

• Yes, but radiation from Americium is quite high energy. If the paper is correct, we can get low energy X-Rays, similar to the ones presumed in the LEC, with just a piezo tranduscer (that has the additional vantage that can be turned on and off).

I seem to recall from the documentation provided by Frank Gordon that they tried Americium to create the effect and it didn’t work. I think it’s in the patent application, will check later.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Characteristic Soft X-Rays From Arcs in Gases and Vapors:

"Experiments with radiation from solids indicate the existence

of soft characteristic X-radiation with no measurable general

radiation under the best vacuum conditions. Nickel shows radia-

tion starting at 80 volts. Experimental difficulties make the results

obtained from solids less convincing than those from gases."

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.