Frank Gordon's "Lattice Energy Converter (LEC)"...replicators workshop

• Using the powder gradient technique, the team of Charles Entenman (Keely Keene, Rebecca Kitko and others of the Biolife Team) tested increasingly less conductive semiconductors. (For the record, with John Giles, our best results at Deuo Dynamics were obtained with the palladium / aluminum nitride pair, which is a high resistivity semiconductor.)

But Charles Entenman’s team discovered something extraordinary: even with a perfectly insulating powder in the diode, such as fine sand, diatomaceous earth, cellulose, we still observe the appearance of spontaneous tension. This tension persists for several months. This effect is also achieved by separating the palladium and metal electrodes with paper or asbestos.

I admit that I did not believe in this effect, I feared an experimental error but I now admit my mistake: I was wrong.

The team assembled by Charles Entenmann, using a fog chamber, demonstrated the emission of highly energetic charged particles by fusion diodes. Note that the particles manage to pass through the plastic or metal wall of the diode. Their energy is therefore greater than the megaelectronvolt. (For the record, the beta particles emitted by phosphorus 32 have a maximum energy of 1.7 MeV, and they can pass through about 0.8 mm of plastic. Protons and helium nuclei are even less penetrating.)

Obviously, the ionization that causes fusion diodes to polarize is not due to these rare charged particles, otherwise it would require a much larger flux. We will not discuss these particles in this poster.

Please remember that the electric current flowing through an ionization chamber is extremely weak and must be strongly amplified to be detectable, including when the source is located inside the ionization chamber. To obtain such a current between electrodes of metals of different ionization potential (eg zinc and copper, or cesium and copper) would require an activity greater than one curie! (The curie is a huge unit, equivalent to the activity of one gram of radium!)

However, this effect really does exist, I checked it recently and I punlished the result during ICCF 23 and IWAHLM 14. This effect deserves with no doubt to be called the "ENTENMANN EFFECT"

lenr-forum.com/attachment/19172/

• FWIW, spillover hydrogen is known to cause a decrease in the electrical resistance of non-metal materials it migrates on. It might be worth investigating whether this can occur in a LEC cell. I stress the need to show that the voltage is observed also with absolutely no point of indirect contact between the electrodes.

https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-2991(08)63172-9

The Entenmann Effect is not exactly related to the hydrogen spillover effect. Like in our atomic hydrogen production by palladium cathode (1) (which is nothing than a “Giant Hydrogen Spillover Effect”) the hydrogen spillover involves neutral species (atoms of hydrogen).

In the Entenmann/Gordon Effect, there is with no doubt ions production.

• fabrice DAVID

What I am proposing is that conduction over normally insulating parts by hydrogen spillover together with the ~0.8V normally observed after electrolytically loading a cathode with hydrogen could be able to reproduce a LEC-like behavior.

The literature appears to suggest that hydrogen can spill as atoms and ions, not simply as neutral atoms. I wasn't implying that the observed voltage comes from that, however.

On the nature of spilt-over hydrogen
    Various experimental results on hydrogen spillover which have been obtained since the first evidence for this phenomenon are discussed concerning the …
    doi.org

https://doi.org/10.1021/jacs.1c02859

• Liviu Popa Simil proposed LENR Electric many many years ago. The same year GEC was in Guam.

"Liviu Popa Simil – LENR – Nuclear Battery Roadmap" 27Jan2014

Cold Fusion Now -gbgoble

This fellow proves to be quite bright…

Liviu Popa Simil – LENR – Nuclear Battery Roadmap – COLD FUSION NOW!

“Nano-structured Nuclear Radiation Shielding”

In July, 2012 he presented the following paper and slide show at the LENR International Conference:

“Roadmap to Fusion Battery – A Novel Type of Nuclear Battery and Potential Outcomes and Applications”

Also LENRForum thread

Meanwhile

He's been working under a DoD contract developing a novel plasma based transformer and a few other things since then. Nothing in cold fusion, LENR or CMNS, that I could find, till now. His recent (2021) works are perhaps relevant to advanced LEC concepts. Also his 2012 works...

Note: this is from 2021

3) Nano-hetero structures for...

direct nuclear energy conversion into electricity, that are resembling a supercapacitor, charged by the moving nuclear particles, and discharges delivering electricity,

...where the structure is made of repetitive conductive and insulating layers, generically known as “CIci”, some of the variants creating hyperbolic metamaterials, that may deliver electricity and radiation...

"Nuclear Power Renaissance Based on

Engineered Micro-Nano-Nuclear Materials" Energy and Power Engineering, 2021, 13, 65-74

Online: 1947-3818

ISSN Print: 1949-243X

(PDF) Nuclear Power Renaissance Based on Engineered Micro-Nano-Nuclear Materials
    PDF | On Jan 1, 2021, Liviu Popa-Simil published Nuclear Power Renaissance Based on Engineered Micro-Nano-Nuclear Materials | Find, read and cite all the…
    www.researchgate.net

How to cite this paper: Popa-Simil, L.

(2021) Nuclear Power Renaissance Based on Engineered Micro-Nano-Nuclear Materials.

Energy and Power Engineering, 13, 65-74.

https://doi.org/10.4236/epe.2020.134B007

Received: February 23, 2021

Accepted: April 27, 2021

Published: April 30, 2021

Abstract

Nuclear Power today is in stagnation with a fleet of 440 operational units, due

to many drawback factors, as economics, safety, controllability and response time, security and waste management, which all together act as a deterrent to new reactor construction. If the present trend is followed, together with aging of many nuclear plants, by 2040 there will remain less than half of the actual reactors in operation, representing an accelerated decay of the industry. The idea of renaissance of nuclear power is more frequent, but this is not possible without the use of novel materials, based on nano-engineered structures. It is well known that Damascus swords were not possible without the use of Damascus steel, and so the next nuclear technology is not possible without the use of novel micro-nano nuclear materials, which finally dictates the performances of the nuclear structures built with them. As a first approach to modern technology, since 1980s, five types of nuclear materials, able to bring a leap forward in nuclear technology have been identified and studied, which are:

1) Micro-hetero structures able to deal with fission products, that use fission reaction kinematics to self-separate fission products from the nuclear

fuel, generically called “Cer-Liq-Mesh”, because simply it consists of a ceramic material stabilized on an elastic mesh or felt, immersed into a drain liquid. This improves the radiation damage, fuel burnup, fission products separation, and specific power density.

2) Nano-Beaded-Hetero-Structures that

are using the nano-cluster specific mechanisms to accelerate separation of the transmutation products and place them into a drain liquid, which improves

the separation of minor actinides, and radioisotopes production.

3) Nano-hetero structures for...

direct nuclear energy conversion into electricity, that are resembling a supercapacitor, charged by the moving nuclear particles, and discharges delivering electricity,

...where the structure is made of repetitive conductive and insulating layers, generically known as “CIci”, some of the variants creating hyperbolic metamaterials, that may deliver electricity and radiation. Using these structures, one may eliminate the thermos-mechanical stage from the actual nuclear-thermo-mechano-electric energy conversion cycle, reducing it at nuclear-electric only and reducing the size of nuclear-electric plant by 90%, creating a fission battery.

4) Radiation damage self-repairing materials made of a “fractal”, multi-material interlaced structure that maintains its properties constant independent of radiation dose.

These materials will be used for cladding and structures allowing a near-perfect

burning, using breed & burn technology.

5) Radiation guiding structures that

are using nano-structures to trap and guide radiation on desired controllable

path being used for control systems assuring a micro-second response time,

and light shielding allowing the creation of mobile structures.

ALSO

LIVIU POPA-SIMIL

The Applications of Micro-Nano-Cer-Liq Materials in Nuclear Power

[PDF] THE APPLICATIONS OF MICRO-NANO-CER-LIQ MATERIALS IN NUCLEAR POWER | Semantic Scholar
    Modern nuclear fuels exploit the unique features of nano-structures. With proper engineering of fuel micro-nano-structure, fission products can, in principle,…
    www.semanticscholar.org

• No big surprise, but it looks like Rossi is not going to save the planet. So can we have some updates on the LEC?

As I recall, AlanG was not making much progress, AlanS is now working alone in his lab, and busy with his H business for the time being. Stevenson ?

I know of some movement going on behind the scenes, but in the spirit of open science, we have to be more...well, open.

• As I recall, AlanG was not making much progress

In my last series of tests, I found a combination of electolyte (Ammonia, Iron Sulfate, Sodium Citrate) and plating current (1.35v, 90 mA) to yield a smooth and well-adhered coating of grey iron on the brass cathode substrate. I then tested two of these plated tubes, using a galvanized iron pipe for the outer anode with about 1 mm gap. Neither tube showed any voltage above the typical input bias of the DAQ front-end (168 mV @ 10 MΩ). Measurements were done in air and in pure H2 over several days, all at ambient temperature of 18-20°C, with no change in voltage seen.

Full details are available at https://tinyurl.com/69z7sn3e

• Cydonia Perhaps the Lattice Energy Converter LEC group is busy getting ready, preparing to present more advanced works at the Solid State Energy Summit....

Some things of interest have been gleaned from this thread. It seems most folks have moved on to something else or lost interest due to more recent research disclosures...

• I am semiconductor engineer and I know the implantation process of hydrogen and I also thought previously this implantation works but I quit the development even I had a fund because of the longer process time.

Loading with D2 gas is by far shorter loading time.

• nkodama, the ion implantation process used in semiconductor industry is very slow compared to electrolytic loading. The advantage is that you can implant whatever ion you want (more or less...) For example Mastromatteo implanted Boron ions on a thin film of Pd deposited on a Silicon wafer. And he saw transmutations after irradiating with a small power laser (I think this has been replicated by J.P. Biberian). Actually Mastrommatteo once told me that the Boron was really not necessary.

I think that Frank's group tried to load the LEC with Deuterium instead of Hydrogen, but the results were not very different.

• Low loading could be more relevant maybe ? Only a quick thought, maybe the loading speed could play a role for hydrogen interaction with the metal. Hydrogen loaded becoming hydride so attached with the host metal or remained free ...

If for example the reaction needs an hydride and a free hydrogen, loading speed variation could be relevant ?

nkodama, the ion implantation process used in semiconductor industry is very slow compared to electrolytic loading. The advantage is that you can implant whatever ion you want (more or less...) For example Mastromatteo implanted Boron ions on a thin film of Pd deposited on a Silicon wafer. And he saw transmutations after irradiating with a small power laser (I think this has been replicated by J.P. Biberian). Actually Mastrommatteo once told me that the Boron was really not necessary.

I think that Frank's group tried to load the LEC with Deuterium instead of Hydrogen, but the results were not very different.

• The LENR-Forum team are proud to present the first of a new series of video discussions, where prominent LENR researchers meet to present, discuss and answer questions about their work. In this session we look at the LEC, a simple device that produces electricity directly, in a way which is not entirely understood. Such a device has the potential to be a game-changer, because although in its current form the electrical output is tiny it offers the possibility of creating silent, non-polluting and inexpensive batteries which never need recharging. Though that is at the moment a distant target.

The content here is in two parts – Part 1 is a 20 minute video made by Frank Gordon and Harper Whitehouse in which they share views of a LEC device in action, and describe and run some basic tests. Part 2 is a panel discussion hosted by the forum team and introduced by Ruby Carat in which Frank and Harper answer questions. The panel includes well-known LENR researchers, from the USA Professor David Nagel and Andrew Erickson (LANL -Retired), Fabrice David and Professor Jean-Paul Biberian from France. All the scientists on the panel have direct hands-on experience of the LEC system, or in Fabrice David’s case the related Cold fusion Diode system.

The discussion is moderated by Alan Smith, and the closing words of thanks are from our very own David Nygren. We wish to thank everyone who contributed for their help and support, both on camera and behind the scenes.

Part 1 : UNDERSTANDING LENR – LATTICE ENERGY CONVERTER (LEC)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Part 2 : UNDERSTANDING LENR - Panel Q&A about the LATTICE ENERGY CONVERTER (LEC)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• At the end of this second video, we have heard the second man close to Franck Gordon.

He said to plan some calculations to evaluate the speed distribution between faster ion or slowers.

This job was already done in french sorry, with results which said that helium and lithium could be faster than simple hydrogen.

So yes, it could exist a large speed difference between species.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.