Frank Gordon's "Lattice Energy Converter (LEC)"...replicators workshop

• In case the other pictures are not visible to all, here are some more. The first one is the nickel/nickel mesh cell when first assembled.

This is the same cell 24 hours later, showing the internal resistance.

And here the voltage.

The increase in voltage here is an artifact - measuring the cell resistance has put a voltage onto the electrodes which has ionised some more acetone vapour molecules, since one hour after measuring the resistance the voltage has dropped to below 200mV.

• BIOSEARCH UPDATE>from one who knows.

Fabrice David was not a group or associate member of BioSearch, Charlie Entenmann's lab. They had a private lab in Sarasota and at one point Michael Melich made arrangements for Fabrice to visit and discuss working with them, which did not happen. Mike Melich was a consultant for them. Christy Frazier at Infinite Energy magazine worked with Biosearch to publish the report. .

BioSearch are listed in Sarasota to direct any inquiries.

Yes, I have never been employed by BIOSEARCH stricto sensu, but we were under NDA and I worked with them several times in order to transfer our know-how concerning fusion diodes to them. They did a remarkable job. They tested near 1500 diodes, with various metals and semiconductors, including some gaseous "Solid-State" Fusion Diodes. (fifteen hundred)

I am very grateful to our late friend Mike Melich for having worked for a long time to make this joint work possible.

Oups! (breaking the Coulomb barrier, or simply breaking the diode?)

• Here is a recent interview with Gordon and Whitehouse. It was made after ICCF24. They say there was great interest during ICCF24. They had to babysit the experiment and answer questions instead of taking coffee breaks.

Science and U: Exploring a New Historic LENR Invention with Dr. Frank Gordon, Harper Whitehouse - A Neighbor's Choice by David Gornoski
    In this special Science and U episode, David Gornoski and physicist Dr. Weiping Yu are joined by Dr. Frank Gordon and Harper Whitehouse for a conversation on…
    aneighborschoice.com

• Today I'm electrolysing something quite different, to test for LEC activity. Solid carbon anode and cathode in distilled water/ammonium carbonate electrolyte. A metal-free LEC - if it works - would require a rethink of the system parameters.

Electrodes are pencil-sized and running at 7.6V and 1W, plenty of hydrogen coming off the cathode surface.

Last week's nickel/nickel is still producing 120mV.So it works with identical metals.

• Last week's nickel/nickel is still producing 120mV.So it works with identical metals.

If it works with identical metals then what non-nuclear mechanisms are ruled out? Are Galvanic explanations thus totally ruled out? Or does the electrolytic treatment of the working electrode somehow put such explanations back in play?

• If it works with identical metals then what non-nuclear mechanisms are ruled out? Are Galvanic explanations thus totally ruled out? Or does the electrolytic treatment of the working electrode somehow put such explanations back in play?

There is no galvanism anyway, that was ruled out long ago., galvanism does not work when there is no metal-metal contact. But using the same metal for both electrodes rather rules that out - again.

Work function differences between plain and hydrided nickel are small (the literature suggests) so that I would not expect to see persisting voltage between them even in the case of galvanic cintact.

We are running out of non-nuclear explanations for 'something is ionising the gas between electrodes.'

• However we can highlight once again the LEC deposit way, in few words by this way the hydrogen atoms really get closer to the atoms from the lattice.

In this way, i share once again the explanation way from Meulenberg to resolve the LEC problem.

(PDF) Pictorial description for LENR in linear defects of a lattice (researchgate.net)

There is no galvanism anyway, that was ruled out long ago., galvanism does not work when there is no metal-metal contact. But using the same metal for both electrodes rather rules that out - again.

Work function differences between plain and hydrided nickel are small (the literature suggests) so that I would not expect to see persisting voltage between them even in the case of galvanic cintact.

We are running out of non-nuclear explanations for 'something is ionising the gas between electrodes.'

• We are running out of non-nuclear explanations for 'something is ionising the gas between electrodes.'

And why should there not be a nuclear explanation (if we were to include low-energy X-Rays), after all even sellotape (Scotchtape in the USA) emits 15keV X-rays in a vacuum.. In a gas they would cause ionisation... attached is a link to the Nature article about this (not paywalled). Note that the authors don't quite understand all of it either.

https://www.nature.com/article…f%20the%20research%20team.

• Last week's nickel/nickel is still producing 120mV.So it works with identical metals.

Still producing the voltage after a week? Good! Probably this confirms that the Fe based devices dies very fast due to oxidation more than hydrogen unloading...

What about its conditions during this time:

- Air or hydrogen? Closed or open?

- Has it been lent open circuited, short circuited or loaded?

- Any external voltage applied?

Have you measured the forced current? (Applying 5V should be fine to measure fraction of mA)

And why should there not be a nuclear explanation (if we were to include low-energy X-Rays), after all even sellotape (Scotchtape in the USA) emits 15keV X-rays in a vacuum.. In a gas they would cause ionisation...

That phenomenon is relatively more conventional: it is a surprisingly effective case of triboelectric effect. Its a (very non-linear) energy conversion more than a generation: the emission is only present when the external force is applied. Probably in the case of the LEC, the energy required to ionise the gas for a week or more will surpass any possible chemical energy and/or process energy (we have to do some math...).

About non-nuclear explanations, I was wondering if it may exists some form of catalytic effect able to ionize the gas? This is my only residual doubt...

• Still producing the voltage after a week? Good! Probably this confirms that the Fe based devices dies very fast due to oxidation more than hydrogen unloading...

What about its conditions during this time:

- Air or hydrogen? Closed or open?

- Has it been lent open circuited, short circuited or loaded?

- Any external voltage applied?

This is in a closed container in a mix of air and acetone vapour. It has been shorted out around a dozen times, but not left carrying any load, nor h had an external voltage applied for any longer than was neccessary to measure the internal resistance.

About non-nuclear explanations, I was wondering if it may exists some form of catalytic effect able to ionize the gas? This is my only residual doubt...

Catalysis and catalyst materials is something I know a fair bit about. They generally only operate in a very specific window of temperature, pressure, and reactant availability. I'll give you an example, I use a catalyst to do my hydrogen/aluminium work. It is only 100% effective at between 80 and 90C. a concentration below 0.2Mol, and pressure between BarG and 2Bar Exceed those parameters and different unwanted reactions dominate.

The LEC effect seems too broad across materials and temperatures for any of that to be the case.

• This is in a closed container in a mix of air and acetone vapour. It has been shorted out around a dozen times, but not left carrying any load, nor h had an external voltage applied for any longer than was neccessary to measure the internal resistance.

I was reflecting that the LEC life, contrary to ordinary batteries, is not affected by drawing a current (e.g. shorting terminals or attaching a load) or not: the internal energy source is completely independent. This is something remarkable! And may be a good proof that the origin of energy is not chemical.

Catalysis and catalyst materials is something I know a fair bit about. They generally only operate in a very specific window of temperature, pressure, and reactant availability. I'll give you an example, I use a catalyst to do my hydrogen/aluminium work. It is only 100% effective at between 80 and 90C. a concentration below 0.2Mol, and pressure between BarG and 2Bar Exceed those parameters and different unwanted reactions dominate.

The LEC effect seems too broad across materials and temperatures for any of that to be the case.

Thank you for the clarification and explanation!

• Stevenson

Your comment about Triboelectricity above is interesting and led me to look at it a little more closely as a possible mechanism. If it is related to friction/adhesion phenomena the only de-adhesion (is that really a word?) phenomenon we might see is the release of hydrogen from the working electrode surface.

There is also the possibility that electrolytic hydrogen adsorbed/absorbed into the working electrode is partly monatomic, and that we are seeing ionisation caused by 13eV photon emissions from recombination of H+H -> H2? Though this is way outside my field.

• Your comment about Triboelectricity above is interesting and led me to look at it a little more closely as a possible mechanism. If it is related to friction/adhesion phenomena the only de-adhesion (is that really a word?) phenomenon we might see is the release of hydrogen from the working electrode surface.

Actually the reference to triboelectricity was to the X-rays generated by the scotch tape. The LEC electrodes, being metallic, cannot generate triboelectric effects as far as I know (because the charges are free to move in the conduction band).

There is also the possibility that electrolytic hydrogen adsorbed/absorbed into the working electrode is partly monatomic, and that we are seeing ionisation caused by 13eV photon emissions from recombination of H+H -> H2? Though this is way outside my field.

I think it is theoretically possible, but this would generate a very small amount of ionization, either due to the relatively small de-a*sorbed flux, either because that very low energy would be captured by the very few atomic layers of gas. Moreover air contains about 70% of N2, that has a ionization energy of 15 eV (>13 eV), instead we know that air works even better than H2 alone!

Interestingly, Helium has a ionization energy of 24.6 eV: if it will produce the effect we know that the radiation energy is greater than this value. It would be a simple yet very valuable test...

• H mono will recombine very fastly after have left the lattice so in this way how to explain the long range ionization ?

Yes, we can expect some uncommon molecules by an H mono addition however they should remain neutral ?

I like the friction/adhesion expression which remains cautious now are we sure that an H mono is unlinked from its "lattice trap" to explain an ionization ?

For example for Beta decay and if this way could be involved no need that H mono should move ?

I think that LEC behavior is unlinked with former's Fralick diffusion experiments.

Stevenson

Your comment about Triboelectricity above is interesting and led me to look at it a little more closely as a possible mechanism. If it is related to friction/adhesion phenomena the only de-adhesion (is that really a word?) phenomenon we might see is the release of hydrogen from the working electrode surface.

• I think it is theoretically possible, but this would generate a very small amount of ionization, either due to the relatively small de-a*sorbed flux, either because that very low energy would be captured by the very few atomic layers of gas. Moreover air contains about 70% of N2, that has a ionization energy of 15 eV (>13 eV), instead we know that air works even better than H2 alone!

Interestingly, Helium has a ionization energy of 24.6 eV: if it will produce the effect we know that the radiation energy is greater than this value. It would be a simple yet very valuable test...

Using Helium is an interesting idea- I have a cylinder in the lab, I could try it. I am also considering using ammonia vapour which has a similar ionisation energy to nitrogen. Perhaps comparing these with acetone with Ionisation energy around 9.5 (Estimates vary in the literature) would show something interesting by way of differences.

I like the odea of using ammonia vapour btw, since it is (in my experience) a good corrosion inhibitor for iron.

Further on - I have just purchased some Tetrahydrofuran (THF) to use for hydrogen loading by electrolysis.- this is not much used in the LENR world but it has the advantage of being a non-aqueous electrolyte. THF is used a lot in industrial chemistry and as an electrolyte component in some Li-Ion batteries, so a good charge-carrier.

THF is particularly useful for electrolysing materials subject to forming hydroxides in water - as many of the lanthanides I want to test are. Most of them hydroxylate in water- and fall apart. I have some erbium powder to test this with. As THF vapour has an ionisation potential similar to that of acetone it would also perhaps work as the gas between electrodes.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.