Frank Gordon's "Lattice Energy Converter (LEC)"...replicators workshop

• I am also considering using ammonia vapour which has a similar ionisation energy to nitrogen.

According to NIST data, ammonia (gas) have a ionisation energy of 10.2 eV, much lower than N2 (15.5 eV).

THF is particularly useful for electrolysing materials subject to forming hydroxides in water - as many of the lanthanides I want to test are.

Interesting... I didn't know THF and this specific application. Can you dissolve ionic salts in THF? If so, probably this can be used to deposit alkali metals on the cathode avoiding their dissolution as hydroxides (?)

• If so, probably this can be used to deposit alkali metals on the cathode avoiding their dissolution as hydroxides (?)

THF is a pretty good solvent for most salts. Alkali metals are difficult to plate solo in lab conditions, because stray oxygen and water in the solvent will almost inevitably mess things up, but they can be incorporated along with carrier metals - for example aluminium/lithium plate is possible where Al is the anode metal and lithium salts are dissolved in the THF- probably as LiBr. If you are thinking about Calcium - that would also be possible, but this is electrochemistry we are talking about, it makes gourmet cooking look simple.

• In the lab today, and took down my 'double carbon' electrolysis experiment after 48 hours. A lot of erosion on the carbon anode, very little on the cathode. The electrolyte has gone from clear to black - possibly suspended nano-carbon. 5mV only, fading rapidly to 2. So- at least some metals with very similar work functions - like hydrided vs plain nickel will work, but amorphous carbon doesn't work as both electrodes, though a carbon anode and a ferrocerium cathode work very well.

• gio06

Thank you for the Ahern patent link. I think that many of the other patents cited c- many of which relate to the manufacture of electrodes for NiMH batteries are potentially of great interest.

BTW, Frank Gordon has discussed the possibility of increasing output by using nanoscale sculpting of the electrode surfaces.

• The proposed mechanism is quite simple:

Energy localization causes the catalytic formation of ionized gas that behaves consequently as a gaseous electrolyte

of a battery

Energy localization and/or anharmonic oscillations may be involved in a lot of LENR phenomena, but it is something that has to do with the very root cause of the phenomena. We are currently observing and experimenting with n-th level consequences of the root cause (the voltage is a consequence of the ionisation, the ionisation is consequence of a radiation of something else that we still have to detect, the ionising agent may be directly or indirectly connected to the root cause). So it is currently very difficult to draw conclusions. We have to (and only can) proceed backward from the experimental side. In my opinion the immediate questions to answer are:

1. Is there any ionising radiation acting on the gas volume, or is the ionisation a surface phenomenon?
    2. How energetic is the ionising agent?
    1. Is there any ionising radiation acting on the gas volume, or is the ionisation a surface phenomenon?
    2. How energetic is the ionising agent?

The simplest answer is that a non-nuclear surface/catalytic effect is sufficient for gas ionization.

If this is the case nano-structured electrodes may enhance the effect.

• In this way, the plasmonic field often highlighted by axil is concerned.

However how explain the apparent "exclusive" involvement of the deposit type ?

Maybe this is tought /trap that thinking about the need of codeposition whereas it only and especially does some nano structures ?

The simplest answer is that a non-nuclear surface/catalytic effect is sufficient for gas ionization.

If this is the case nano-structured electrodes may enhance the effect.

• In this way, the plasmonic field often highlighted by axil is concerned.

However how explain the apparent "exclusive" involvement of the deposit type ?

Maybe this is tought /trap that thinking about the need of codeposition whereas it only and especially does some nano structures ?

According to Ahern both nanostructures and materials are important.

Ahern patent was at least 20 years ahead of its time!

The importance of surface was recognized also in the early 90s by Francesco Piantelli.

------------

"Preferably, the host lattice submaterials are nickel and copper, or nickel and palladium, or copper and palladium. In other preferred embodiments, the host lattice structure has been cold worked, and comprises a nanograined polycrystalline morphology."

• My THF electrolysis experiment shows some effect. Cathode was brass previously hot-dipped into tin, anode was pure nickel, After 24 hours electrolysis voltage was around 200mV with closely spaced electrodes and a single sheet of paper an an insulator. Next up is a re-run of ferrocerium in THF.

Having checked out some small part of the parameter space I can sart doing some more refined work ready for a presentation at IWAHLM in a month's time.

• Thank you to getting out the field from the monotheism... I have often recounted here a fortuitous experience, where a large excess of heat had melted a ZrO2 substrate of a thermionic emitter. This ZrO2 cylinder had been covered by sputtering, a simple nickel layer. Then an extra thickness of nickel was added by electrolysis.

During this stage, there had been a big flash, a great heat excess that had broken the substrate. My analysis said that there had been the nanorods creation, 100 nm high and 10 nm wide.

According to Ahern both nanostructures and materials are important.

Ahern patent was at least 20 years ahead of its time!

The importance of surface was recognized also in the early 90s by Francesco Piantelli.

------------

"Preferably, the host lattice submaterials are nickel and copper, or nickel and palladium, or copper and palladium. In other preferred embodiments, the host lattice structure has been cold worked, and comprises a nanograined polycrystalline morphology."

• I forgot to mention this one - Terbium chips are in a stainless cup at the bottom of the beaker, actually the cathode - electrolyte is 50-50 THF/DW with K2CO3. Anode at the top is lead. 12V at 1W.

It will be interesting to see if the Terbium hydroxylates 'too much' with this low=water method.

• Despite my stopping electrolysis after just 3 hours, since the 50/50 THF/DW mix was dissolving the insulation on the wire to the cathode, the terbium appears to be producing a steady 280mV in air with a cell resistance of 335kOhm.. I simply emptied the liquid from the cup-cell and left it overnight in an oven at 60C to dry it all out. Reassembled ;dry' the lead anode is 45mm away from the terbium chips in the stainless cup at the bottom, suggesting that a closer spacing might give a much higher voltage.

• Has anyone tried to test for this effect?

Electrets, like magnets, are dipoles. Another similarity is the radiant fields: they produce an electrostatic field (as opposed to a magnetic field) around their perimeter. When a magnet and an electret are near one another, a rather unusual phenomenon occurs: while stationary, neither has any effect on one another. However, when an electret is moved with respect to a magnetic pole, a force is felt which acts perpendicular to the magnetic field, pushing the electret along a path 90 degrees to the expected direction of "push" as would be felt with another magnet.

Wikipedia- Electret

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.