Frank Gordon's "Lattice Energy Converter (LEC)"...replicators workshop

• Yes, because the ionised gas molecules that bridge the gap between electrodes carry more energy. Frank and Harper have tested it up to around 200C. But it isn't thermal energy conversion 'as we know it' since the device is isothermal- no hot-cold junction.

Very interesting! I suggest to set up an experiment inside a well-controlled isothermal environment to obtain a table/function that shows the dependence of power output on the temperature

What happens at low temperatures?

• What happens at low temperatures?

Frank Gordon and Harper ran it in a dry ice /alcohol cooling bath to eliminate the possible effects of water vapour in the internal gas by freezing it out. It still worked, though I cannot recall what difference it made to the output or the conductivity. I mention conductivity because applying an external vottage and measuring the current across the cell enables an estimate of the potential capacity of the cell to create current if there was maximum ionisation of the contained gas.

• The only good thing of being away from the forum for a period is that one gets back and there's a lot to catch up and fascinating news as the (momentarily down bout not out) Terbium Chips LEC of Alan Smith . I have lots of catching up to do (starting with the ICCF 24th that I missed entirely), but this thread really made my day.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• You may remember that initially it was only electrolysed for 3 hours- I will probably run it in electrolyser mode over the weekend for a much longer period.

I suspect that long plating may be not necessary, for a number of reasons: 1) as suggested by Ed Storm the ionizing agent must be in proximity of the surface (otherwise it would be screened), so even very thin layers should work; 2) in my first experiment the co-dep layer was very thin and it worked very well; 3) Frank suggested to redo a very brief co-dep if the electrode does not produce the effect, and this has been confirmed by some replicators (comprising me).

Very interesting! I suggest to set up an experiment inside a well-controlled isothermal environment to obtain a table/function that shows the dependence of power output on the temperature

If you search for the ICCF24 presentation from J-P. Biberian on Youtube, he calculated the equivalent "activation energy" of the LEC, this gives you the dependence on temperature (based on Arrhenius equation).

However there are two different phenomenon involved: the ionization and the voltage generation. The first is more related to the "anomalous" effect, the second is probably related to more conventional effects that are function of the electrodes work functions and other factors that are also dependent from temperature (in a different way). In my opinion it would be better to characterize the ionization only (by measuring the forced current) to investigate on the dependence of temperature of the effect.

• Interesting...

"LEC output as a function of temperature is plotted in Figure 7, where the ‘open-circuit (RL936 k)’ voltage increased from approximately 10 μV at 28 C to more than 525 mV at a temperature of 185 C, an increase in voltage of over 50,000:1."

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/BiberianJPjcondensedzh.pdf#page=36

Experimental Test of a Thermodynamic Paradox - Foundations of Physics
    In 2000, a simple, foundational thermodynamic paradox was proposed: a sealed blackbody cavity contains a diatomic gas and a radiometer whose apposing vane…
    link.springer.com

• I suspect that long plating may be not necessary, for a number of reasons: 1) as suggested by Ed Storm the ionizing agent must be in proximity of the surface (otherwise it would be screened), so even very thin layers should work; 2) in my first experiment the co-dep layer was very thin and it worked very well; 3) Frank suggested to redo a very brief co-dep if the electrode does not produce the effect, and this has been confirmed by some replicators (comprising me).

I am of the opinion that plating (as we know it) is not even necessary- using a carbon rod anode suggest that is the case. Hydrogenation of hydrogen-loving materials like lanthanide group elements is however very important.

I can also confirm that sleepy working electrodes can be 'woken up' by re-electrolysing them

• This is a quick shot of another ferrocerium test before electrolysis, with a much larger rod from a different source. No electrolysis has been performed yet, I'm just building the cell Here we have 2 large zinc anodes and the ferrocerium rod between them. electrolyte is planned to be THF with 25% water saturated with potassium carbonate.

For engineering reasons the foot of the ferrocerium is insulated with a tight-fitting silicon rubber cap, so and bottom of the rod wont be electrolysed. All will become clearer later.

Please notice there is (as you might expect) zero volts between the dry electrodes.

• Alan,

The collection of experiments that you are carrying out at the moment seems

to suggest that surfaces capable of dissociating molecular hydrogen do so

into protons (albeit of very low energy) rather than neutral hydrogen atoms

i.e leaving their respective electrons behind in the electron 'sea' of the body

(electrode) presenting that surface.and the protons outside curiouser and curiouser

• It is indeed very curious. The experiments so far have been very 'scattergun' in that I have just been exploring the materials parameter space, and looking for artifacts, none found so far. The space seems very large indeed. Still cooking is a 'lead/lead test. Probably the last of the random ones, except for a repeat of the erbium chip tests- which looks to be very interesting.

Your thoughts on 'cold naked protons'' are pretty much what I've been pondering too. It seems a likely explanation for a phenomenon that embraces so many variations of materials and gases/vapours.

Now I'm starting a more serious run of tests, which I will present at IWAHLM. The first of these will be a repeat of the ferrocerium work mentioned earlier in the thread. Since I'm running this in 75% tetrahydrofuran 25% light water saturated with K2CO3. I'm running it inside a glass reactor with a recondenser -THF is very volatile and a bit smelly albeit not amazingly toxic, but it's very flammable so the less that escapes the happier I shall be. Electrolyte is added to the cell / topped-up via the burette with attached silicon rubber hose on the left side of the reactor cap. The cell itself ( pictured) is in a beaker inside the reactor. The tank on the RHS is for cooling water for the condenser, and the power leads exit through the little red gland visible at the back.

The cell - 2 zinc anodes, ferrocerium cathode.

When the rod is cooked, it will fit into this stainless steel cylinder, with silicon rubber seals at each end. The pipes are for passing gasses through the gap between working and passive electrodes, which is around 1.5MM.

• Alan Smith , I am pressed by the catching up I have to do, but I saw a few posts on a replication with carbon rods, and I understood that these were able to produce voltage without even having been co deposited, did I got that right? Or completely misunderstood it? I ask because that is something many could try to replicate as carbon rods are easy to get.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Hi Curbina. Yes, but only as carbon anodes - I wanted to eliminate the possibility that a visible layer of plating was required. Carbon/carbon gives zero volts. But carbon anode/metal cathode worked for me. I'm going to test a lead/lead cell tomorrow running for 5 days in light water K2CO3. I suspect that might show something- I have had some very bizzare results in the past looking for betas emitted by electrolysed lead - but it was such an elusive phenomenon I gave up - also at the time I had no gamma spec. But the LEC is probably a way more sensitive method to detect what I might describe as 'anomalous surface energy, in fact Ed Storms viewed it as exactly that- a very sensitive tool to detect LENR in unexpected places. .

• Not fully agree .. if i have well understood you tried both electrodes in led with a codeposition way ?

If right, it's remain however interesting because we know lead as highly malleable that could prevent keeping the hydrogen sufficiently compressed...hehehe.

In this way only stiffers will work better.

In the Pd case it worked even if also malleable only when fully loaded implying stretched lattice becoming "more stiff".

So, there are things which i repeat since a while ( 12 years) :)

Well, Lead/lead is not working at all. Another one off the list.

• In this way pure Chromium should well work or alloyed as a martensitic SS steel ( grade 400)

Not fully agree .. if i have well understood you tried both electrodes in led with a codeposition way ?

If right, it's remain however interesting because we know lead as highly malleable that could prevent keeping the hydrogen sufficiently compressed...hehehe.

In this way only stiffers will work better.

In the Pd case it worked even if also malleable only when fully loaded implying stretched lattice becoming "more stiff".

So, there are things which i repeat since a while ( 12 years) :)

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.