Cold Fusion in Movies and TV Series.

• Official Post

I have thought of starting this (admittedly frivolous) thread many times but this time I think we could all use some fun and silly entertainment.

Throughout the years I have been making a mental list of movies or TV series where cold fusion or something not exactly called cold fusion but looking like cold fusion has been mentioned or portrayed, in a few cases in a central role or even as a passing remark. Here I will make that list available and, when possible, provide a link to either the entire movie or clip where the cold fusion mention happens.

Feel free to add anything if you think it belongs here. I will start with the movies where cold fusion is directly part of the main argument of the flick:

Chain Reaction (1996): Keanu Reeves portrays the PhD candidate working for a Cold Fusion researcher that gets murdered and then starts a race to save his own life and the female co lead’s life (Rachel Weiss) while attempting to avoid the suppression of the technology by obscure interests.

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The Saint (1997): Val Kilmer interprets an international thief tasked with seducing a female researcher (portrayed by Elizabeth Sue)that has perfected cold Fusion and wants to give it free to the world.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Knight and Day: Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz are lead roles in this spy romance thriller where an energy device with a nuclear power density technology that can be held in the hands, and the life of its autistic inventor, are threatened and disputed by several parties that wants to either own or or destroy it for avoiding anyone else to have it.

• Official Post

Here we have a short clip from the movie “Iron Man” from 2008, Where Tony Stark builds his “arc reactor” with 1,6 grams of Pd, to produce 3 GigaJoules per second of energy.

• Official Post

Perhaps some of you are familiar with the funny sitcom “The Big Bang Theory”. Cold fusion is mentioned at least in two chapters, I picked the mentions directly from watching the series (of which I grew fond through the years of after initially not liking it much), however is hard to simply retain in which chapters the mention happen in a series with close to 300 episodes.

While browsing to find the exact chapters where it happens, I realized rubycarat had already written an article about one of the mentions of Cold Fusion in the Big Bang Theory almost ten years ago, You can read the article here:

https://coldfusionnow.org/big-bang-theory-and-cold-fusion/

The other mention happens in the chapter called “The Jerusalem Duality” where the main character Dr. Sheldon Cooper, after being eclipsed by a younger and talented North Korean genius, and deciding that String Theory has become stagnant, is going through a personal crisis to find a new field to devote his genius intellect, much to the chagrin and annoyance of his friends.

You can read the chapter and the Cold fusion mention (he says that if all of the characters teamed up they could solve Cold Fusion in 10 years, “12 years top”).

https://bigbangtheory.fandom.com/wiki/The_Jerusalem_Duality

• Official Post

And for today, last but not least, there is also a mention of “cold fusion”, albeit in a completely technically erroneous context, in the movie “Star Trek: Into the Darkness”, in the initial sequence, Mr. Spock uses a “cold fusion device” to freeze the lava of a volcano that was about to blow and end a primitive culture in a planet called “Nibiru”, in a flagrant violation of the famous “prime directive” of the series.

I could not find a clip where the cold fusion device is depicted in English, but found this one in Spanish that you might enjoy, or not.

• Spider-Man 2 DR Octopus Lab fight.

External Content youtu.be

• DR Martin Fleishman has a laugh

near the end of this clip.

• 60 years of fusion in 5 minutes.

• Questions for Pseudoscience

Cold Fusion.

• Official Post

The documentary cold fusion and beyond

External Content www.youtube.com

I remember of Back to the Future 3 too.

• Official Post

In one of the most stupid sci-fi films, Independence day 2, they used a cold fusion bomp against the aliens.

You are right, I missed that one, I saw the movie but found it so utterly bad that I didn’t pay any attention after a while.

Here’s a link of how the “cold fusion” bomb depicted in that movie would work.

https://independenceday.fandom.com/wiki/Cold_Fusion_Weapon

• I found another mention of Cold Fusion, this time in the Series “The Blacklist”, Season 6 episode 5. Around The 8 minutes mark they are discussing the victims of a supposed organization that had been killing inventors of revolutionary technologies and the first one of the list is a fictional Russian descent researcher that invented a working Cold Fusion device.

It turns out later that the murder was a single person, a bitter USPTO bureaucrat that wanted to gather all the inventions and demanded money in exchange of not releasing them to the entire world for free.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• I have not had the chance of watching again “chain reaction” from 1996 in several years, I found that it was available in one of the streaming services I had possibility to watch yesterday. I was focusing in any technical detail and I was a bit surprised to realize it was based in sonoluminescence (albeit never said in the movie, but I captured the word in an email being written in the screen by Morgan Freeman’s character).

I was a bit intrigued because the movie is from 1996 and I was under the impression the bubble fusion episode had transpired in the 2000s. So I googled and I was correct the bubble fusion controversy was from the 2000s, but sonoluminescence and fusion had been already related in 1996, but it was calculated that it was possible with Deuterium and not with plain hydrogen as is depicted in the movie.

From what I got was able to gather from the movie itself, it was a mixture of water lysis and fusion what was being presented, as the reaction was “self sustaining” but the output was from burning the hydrogen being produced. It was really an odd mixture.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• My favourite.

FILM DESCRIPTION:
    Based on the popular novels about that other suave, globe-trotting man of action, this genre picture from director Phillip Noyce mixed romance and character development with dangerous stunts, geopolitical intrigue, and a variety of elaborate disguises, resulting in an uneven stew of a spy thriller. Val Kilmer is Simon Templar, a classy, cunning master thief and "man of a thousand faces" who cribs his phony names from those of obscure saints and sells his illegal services to the highest bidder. Hired by an ambitious Russian politician (Rade Serbedzija) to steal the formula for cold fusion, Templar falls in love with Dr. Emma Russell (Elisabeth Shue), the frail Oxford scientist who has unlocked the secret of the process. Back in Moscow, the thief debates whether to betray his new love or the powerful madman who is paying him millions, until he discovers that his client is concealing oil reserves that could save his freezing people. Often seen as an also-ran to the legendary James Bond, Templar, the creation of author Leslie Charteris, in fact predated the first Bond novel by decades and probably inspired Ian Fleming in his creation of the debonair agent.

• The Saint had some physics formulas. Elisabeth Shue was shown shuffling through them and then placing them in her bosom. Those formulas were taken from papers by Peter Hagelstein, and provided to the movie producers by Eugene Mallove. We were pleased to see where they ended up.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.