Dr. Ed Storms writes - Reflections on LENR Research and the Importance of the Nuclear Active Environment .

• Official Post
    A private communication from Ed Storms, reproduced here with his permission. Worth mentioning that Ed is sure that he has made some fundamentally important discoveries recently- but don't forget that they are the fruit of a long lifetime of work and study. His experiments have focused on the materials science behind LENR, and he has used this approach to reliably make more easily triggered and durable fuels. He is preparing a paper and all being well will reveal more information in that about means and methods. Meanwhile, these are some of his reflections on the field as it stands and some clues as to the progress of his work. Well worth your time to read and reflect on.

Ed wrote: -

Over the years, I have come to realize that LENR can not be treated as if it were a science. Science requires rules that are agreed to apply to the observed behavior. In this field, everyone applies their own rules. I too have my own rules.

Also, the behavior has not been investigated using the systematic approach normally applied in conventional science. Instead, the behaviors are observed as isolated events with no obvious relationship to each other. When a clear relationship is found, such as the relationship between energy and He production, this information does not result in universal understanding. Consequently, the relationship between the various behaviors remains obscure.

Instead of using the scientific approach, I prefer to use the method of Sherlock Holmes, by which the observed behaviors, when viewed in their totality, provide a collection of clues. The goal is to determine the common mechanism that would be able to create all of these behaviors. As Holmes would say, identify the one person who was able to commit the crime.

Two entirely different kinds of clues are required. One kind involves the chemical and physical conditions, because LENR requires the presence of a unique structure in the material. I call this condition the NAE( Nuclear active environment), which is observed to be located at random sites throughout the material. The other kind of understanding requires clues about the nuclear process because LENR involves a collection of unusual nuclear reactions. In addition, the nuclear process will not occur unless the unique chemical-physical condition is present (the NAE). As result, this unique condition must be understood before the nuclear process would make sense. In other words, the smoking gun has no meaning until its path to the murder scene is understood. Put another way, the bullets (nuclear process) are useless without the gun (the chemical conditions.)

Sorry for this a long winded approach to the LENR mystery.

A large variety of materials having a variety of morphologies have been studied, with a few observed to produce LENR. Frequently, when a batch of material is studied, most members of the batch are found to produce LENR when one member is found to produce LENR. This clue suggests a condition is created initially when the batch is made that can produce LENR provided a subsequent treatment is applied. However, without the initial condition, the subsequent treatment would not produce LENR. Likewise, without the subsequent treatment, the initial condition would not produce LENR. Both conditions must be identified and applied. This has not been done in the past.

Using the morphology I have chosen, I can now identify the nature of the initial condition and the required subsequent treatment. When these two conditions are present, the material will make LENR without fail. When they are not present, the material is dead. Consequently, failure to produce LENR is as much of an important clue as is success. The cause of failure must be shown to be the mirror image of success for understanding to be complete. Unfortunately, that kind of information is missing in this field.

OK, this is more than enough to read. I will pause here to see if anyone is interested in solving the mystery using this approach.

Ed

• Official Post

Ed Storms:

"Using the morphology I have chosen, I can now identify the nature of the initial condition and the required subsequent treatment. When these two conditions are present, the material will make LENR without fail."

Good to hear Ed. The LF staff heard months ago you had nailed down the process, and this confirms that. Will there be something more "official" coming soon?

I will pause here to see if anyone is interested in solving the mystery using this approach.

I'm just fascinated how everyone is immediately making a secrets once he finds something interesting/useful for the rest of people - even when he is already old and few years before death. I guess such an approach leads nowhere as it has lead during whole last century - we already have whole generations of inventors which burrowed their secrets in their graves. I guess this individual selfishness - and not collective selfishness of proverbial fossil/nuclear lobby - is what hinders future progress of human civilization the most. This is nothing against Ed Storms and other even way more secretive researchers - rather an opportunity for thinking about actual rewarding strategy in sociology of science.

the bullets (nuclear process) are useless without the gun (the chemical conditions)

In my opinion cold fusion runs like low-dimensional process, where long rows of atoms serve as a pistons (nano-piston fusion) smashing atoms at their ends or places where shock waves propagating along their lines collide. I think that what Ed Storms calls the gun are his nanocracks, i.e. narrow dislocations which are both aligning atoms, both constraining them in thermal motion.

• Storms is sounding bit less conventional. Most grants required a systematic approach: that is to say they hope filling in data tables will accomplish more that can be achieved by hypotheses and testing of hypotheses. In contrast to typical grant methods, Storms said he will use the method of Sherlock Holmes. I take that to mean he has selected likely suspects and how he intends show us what clues lead to an accusation of the cause of LENR.

As we known by the number of very different strings on this site, there are a multitude of results here called LENR. However, if I read his preview correctly he intends identify the cause of NAE. I will be interested to see how his identification matches with my own which I have indicated tracks back to giant nuclear resonance.

In contrast to typical grant methods, Storms said he will use the method of Sherlock Holmes. I take that to mean he has selected likely suspects and how he intends show us what clues lead to an accusation of the cause of LENR.

Cold fusion runs like through low-dimensional catalysis and it requires high-dimensional approach. In dense aether model high-dimensional objects are all around us: they represent massive bodies formed with atoms separated at distance. High dimensional sphere looks like hedgehog and it penetrates low-dimensional space-time in separated points.

https://i.imgur.com/S0UE14m.gif

What does it imply for phenomenology of high-dimensional phenomena? Well, their conditions don't fill parametric space continuously but sporadically, being dependent on many mutually contradicting options at the same moment. One cannot therefore expect, that systematical approach will be working effectively, as the sporadic positive results will get dissolved in wider statistics of background. Ed Storms is thus fully correct with his "detective approach" to cold fusion based on Bayesian inherence from many subtle indicia. Construct hypothesis and test them one after another.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.