LAB COFFEE TIME

• Because the wet copper hydroxide is a gel it can be separated from the bulk water using muslin- this is where inorganic chemistry gets most like cheese-making.

Very little hydroxide actually escapes through the muslin.

And this is the filtrate, ready for another wash

• About Moluccan crab blood (Horseshoes crab in english or Limule in French) I worked in a company that sold Limule blood. This blue colored blood has the property of forming a gel in the presence of small amounts of bacterial lipids which sometimes contaminate injectable products, such as vaccines. These toxins produce a fever and it is important to dispose of contaminated batches. I thought the metal ion that carried oxygen was copper. At the time, the molecular mechanism leading to gelation was not known. But it was a very sensitive method.

I realize that we also do not know why we only find these crustaceans on the eastern side of the continents. (Not in Europe nor California)

• thought the metal ion that carried oxygen was copper.

poor crabs having their blood drained.. they spared thousands of rabbits lives

hopefully the arthropod hemocysnin is no use for deuterium separation ..

however synthetic metallo organic framework (MOF)s may be useful to get cheaper deuterium..

copper+zinc appears to be better than cobalt so far

"Here, we confirm our expected performance of Cu(I)-MFU-4l for hydrogen isotope separation. The D2-over-H2 separation factor of 11 at 100 K is achieved as at this temperature the adsorption is thermodynamically controlled due to an isotope exchange effect,

where D2 from the gas phase replaces adsorbed H2."

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14496

Here's a bit of 'pretty chemistry, making copper hydroxide from copper sulphate and sodium hydroxide

Copper hydroxide precipitated with this method tends to be quite unpure, i.e. contaminated both with adsorbed ions, both with copper oxides, as it easily dehydrates (the dull grey colour of your sample indicates it too). Pure copper hydroxide can be precipitated from ammonia solutions and it's of bright azure colour. You can dissolve your product in mildly concentrated ammonia (10%), add a bit sodium hydroxide, until first precipitate emerges and after then under action of suction pump the excess of ammonia will get slowly evaporated from solution: with this method one can get a microcrystalline turquoise powder, which is easy to wash out and dry.