Plan to dump iron into the oceans to capture carbon.

• Due to a legal status change sanctioned by the UN, much of the oceans were rapidly divided into tens of thousands of giant fish farms over a fairly brief period (approximately a decade) immediately following the 2056 New Oceans Resolution. Ecology-customizing, multi element ocean fertilization took on a mega corporation, multi-species, aquatic farming approach, allowing for unprecedented protein food supply increases at a relatively low cost, on a planetary scale. Twenty-one billion people are currently being fed by the ocean food management network.

The New Oceans Resolution also unintentionally resulted in a legal framework allowing for the subsequent creation of the present four aquatic city-states that were originally founded by the burgeoning number of workers suddenly on and under the oceans, far from the continents.

Encyclopedia Galacticus, 2129.21.14-eng03rv7

• If you didn't understand previous connection, this one will be safely over your head. Keep up your good work, Alan...

It may surprise you to know that the people who most strongly support OPR, are fishermen, and the people who support my aluminium work are mostly from the aluminium industry. That is because they have more than a superficial understanding of what is involved.

• Due to a legal status change sanctioned by the UN, much of the oceans were rapidly divided into tens of thousands of giant fish farms over a fairly brief period (approximately a decade) immediately following the 2056 New Oceans Resolution.

Seriously, I hope nothing like this will be needed. I hope all fishing ends within a century, along with all meat production. To be replaced with in vitro meat production from cells. They are working on fish cells.

This is not the same as the Impossible Burger and other meat-like products made from plants. In vitro meat is actual meat. If this can be perfected, I assume it will be indistinguishable from the meat of an entire animal. I suppose people who really like the taste of meat will prefer that to Impossible Burger. Interestingly, my wife prefers the Impossible Burger. She says it has a more delicate taste. The texture is remarkably similar to hamburger.

In vitro meat opens up the possibilities described by Arthur C. Clarke in the short story, "Food of the Gods."

• Regarding this whole debate over iron in the ocean, I do not know what to make of it, or which side is right. I suppose more careful testing should be done. It is more complicated and more controversial than I realized. I don't what to make of it, but I would not take Russ George's word for it. He might be right though.

• He might be right though.

The idea and some of the experiments pre-date Russ's contributions. There is a strange dissonance in the responses that should be familiar to anyone working on cold fusion, namely, a decent body of experimental evidence has demonstrated that done properly it boosts phytoplankton growth which in turn increases fish populations. Against this is a group of objectors who mainly argue from theory rather than experiment. But I suspect the pendulum is swinging in favour of more experiments.

done properly it boosts phytoplankton growth which in turn increases fish populations

Plankton bloom larger than Australia caused by the country's 2019-2020 fires Algae blooms remain at surface, where they occasionally decompose. They result into anoxic zones in the middle of oceans, which paradoxically hinder organic life beneath them - but no carbon rich sediments will be still formed. Instead of this, the algae would decay with anoxic process releasing methane, which is way more potent greenhouse gas instead.

The example of ash from Australia fires thus shows, that fertilization of ocean could lead to quite counterproductive results.

• The example of ash from Australia fires thus shows, that fertilization of ocean could lead to quite counterproductive results.

You might as well complain about the lava from a volcano affecting grape vines.. For a start this material is a mix of dust and wholly or partly combusted wood ash, it is deposited in uncontrolled quantities with a correspondingly uneven distribution, and not necessarily in a place that would be chosen for the controlled delivery of iron. Apart from that your comment is entirely relevant.

• Interesting thread.

For background I was the Chief Operations Officer and a Director of the Haida Salmon Restoration Corporation which undertook the 2012 Ocean Iron Fertilization (OIF) project west of Canada in 2012. I managed the entire company from its incorporation in 2011 until late 2014. There are a lot of misconceptions about that project and OIF in general in this thread.

The company was investigated by Environment Canada in a very Canadian fashion. There was no raid and they did not take any data. They took copies of the data with which to continue their investigation - there were no charges ever laid. In fact the data was made public in July 2014. This link will take you to an archived email I sent out to the academic community. The links are broken but several members of the company including myself and Russ George have physical copies of the data including the plankton samples: https://nualgi1.rssing.com/chan-32596503/article22-live.html

If you want to learn about the history of OIF, this paper offers a great summary: https://bg.copernicus.org/articles/15/5847/2018/

If you want to understand the Carbon potential I recommend this article, particularly the supplementary info where the calculations can be found: https://www.nature.com/articles/nature11229

If you want to do it yourself you can use the patented methodology to calculate the carbon.

• Jason McNamee

Thank you so much for joining the forum and sharing your viewpoint with us. I spent a lot of time working with Russ in my lab in the UK, and we talked quite a bit about the Haida project. I know that Sir David King of the Climate Repair Centre in Cambridge UK is keen to see another field trial of OPR take place. Do you have any news about progress on that?

• To ask companies engaged in iron fertilization experiments for its contributory effects is like to ask Pfizer/AstraZeneca for contributory effects of vaccination (or like to ask ITER fusionists about perspectives of cold fusion in negative matter). They're just prepared to funnel and dissipate public investments into it.

• Alan Smith I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall during your conversations with Russ. He has a unique perspective on many things, including the Haida project. I'd be happy to have a discussion about the project offline.

With respect to the experimental front, the Koreans were close (See Yoon et al) but that project was cancelled. I don't know of any other groups who might be planning OIF research in the near future.

• Thanks for the welcome Shane D. !

I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread by robert bryant that we developed (and peer reviewed and patented) a superior Fe delivery mechanism for plankton. It turns out this material also works excellent to deliver Fe (and other elements) to enhance the soil microbial community + from the soil microbial community to crops. Our field trials (90+ so far) have shown an improved micronutrient uptake and yield in plants. A bonus is the carbon sequestered as soil carbon. So by default we now have an Agtech company and are not actively pursuing OIF research. You can read about it on our website or social media - http://www.soileos.com.

• High Lability Fe Particles Sourced From Glacial Erosion Can Meet Previously Unaccounted Biological Demand: Heard Island, Southern Ocean

Pier van der Merwe1*, Kathrin Wuttig1, Thomas Holmes1,2, Thomas W. Trull1,3, Zanna Chase2, Ashley T. Townsend4, Karsten Goemann4 and Andrew R. Bowie1,2

1Antarctic Climate and Ecosystems Cooperative Research Centre, University of Tasmania, Hobart, TAS, Australia

2Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies, College of Sciences and Engineering, University of Tasmania, Hobart, TAS, Australia

3Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, Hobart, TAS, Australia

4Central Science Laboratory, University of Tasmania, Hobart, TAS, Australia

ABSTRACT

Iron (Fe) is an essential micronutrient that controls phytoplankton growth in the Southern Ocean. Dissolved Fe (<0.4 μm) has been extensively studied due to its relatively high bioavailability. However, particulate Fe (>0.4 μm) is far more abundant and may also become bioavailable through biogeochemical processing. To assess natural Fe fertilisation from the particulate fraction, we surveyed suspended particles in the water column at 11 stations in the vicinity of Heard and McDonald Islands (HIMI), in the Indian sector of the Southern Ocean and compared these to downstream plateau and reference stations. We quantified the labile (potentially bioavailable) fraction using a chemical leach. Suspended particles sourced from glacial erosion and fluvial outflow, including nanoparticulate Fe oxides near Heard Island, contained a significantly higher fraction of labile Fe (18 ± 2.8% of total Fe, or 115 ± 34 nM, n = 9) than all other coastal areas surveyed. In contrast, waters around McDonald Island, proximal to diffuse gasohydrothermal sites, contained poorly labile, highly refractory titanium and Fe bearing minerals such as ilmenite. We conclude that glacial erosion of Heard Island in combination with a unique elemental signature of the source rock, is an important mechanism of Fe supply to downstream waters. Our calculations show that the labile Fe supplied from primarily glacial erosion on Heard Island is sufficient to satisfy previously unmet estimates of phytoplankton demand for the region, and therefore critical to the area’s productivity. As we move into a world facing major ecosystem shifts under a changing climate, it is important to understand those ecosystem services that may change into the future. At the current rate of glacier retreat, this ecosystem service of glacial erosion and Fe supply to coastal waters will cease with the eventual loss of glacial cover with direct impacts for this historically highly productive region.

High Lability Fe Particles Sourced From Glacial Erosion Can Meet Previously Unaccounted Biological Demand: Heard Island, Southern Ocean
    Iron (Fe) is an essential micronutrient that controls phytoplankton growth in the Southern Ocean. Dissolved Fe (<0.4 μm) has been extensively studied due to…
    www.frontiersin.org

• High Lability Fe Particles Sourced From Glacial Erosion Can Meet Previously Unaccounted Biological Demand: Heard Island, Southern Ocean

Pier van der Merwe1*, Kathrin Wuttig1, Thomas Holmes1,2, Thomas W. Trull1,3, Zanna Chase2, Ashley T. Townsend4, Karsten Goemann4 and Andrew R. Bowie1,2

Another good reason to prepare us to help our planet

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.