What is the current state of LENR?

• perhaps nuclear isomers can be made more easily by LENR..

Thanks for the paper...

Fascinating certainly similar... perhaps another related art of CMNS. Worthy of a double read for a layman like me... even I gleaned some new and also reinforced understanding.

Thermal gradients control and focal points/paths through the lattice, still interest me...

Also superconductivity... same same. Do electrons get accelerated to near light speed?

Consider many metals to be included in the constructed lattice. Not just two or three or four...

Engineering energy sequensies into the lattice structure for specific lattice effects placed as required.

So many to consider.

Like this Mo analog.

Lithium molybdenum purple bronze is quite different than the sodium, potassium and thallium analogs. It has a three-dimensional crystal structure, but a pseudo-one-dimensional (1D) metallic character, eventually becoming a superconductor at about 2 K. Its properties are most spectacular below 5 meV. The Tomonaga-Luttinger liquid theory has been invoked to explain its anomalous behavior. wikipedia

• Edo I'm told there is a review of your book in 'Nexus' magazine, and also some comments about cold fusion.

extract from an email...

"We poped into WHSmiths to pick up a paper before going for a coffee and seeing NEXUS magazine bought it too. Under science news page 42-48 there is an article on the structured atom model, 2 pictures from SAFIRE and mentions LENR."

TY for making me aware. I knew this was going to happen (review) but not that quick :)

• What is the current state of LENR?

We all know the field is rapidly advancing. Solid State Energy, a new term... Yet solid state fusion has been discussed in CMNS literature since early on. It looks like ICCF - 24 and the "Solid State Energy Summit" will bring us exciting news and developments.

Then there is this deplorable out of date representation in the New Yorker.

The author and editor could have at least Googled

"Department of Energy Cold Fusion 2021" and found...

Results for department of energy cold fusion 2021 (without quotes):

Better yet, they could have googled:

"Google Cold Fusion 2021"...

Results for Google Cold Fusion 2021(without quotes):

They would have found this which is now right next to their article.

Ironic yet apropos...

Interesting finds

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcST381_7ytG9qSBHJhseRTu-qLsk6SE1vYbYW-_ltrizBXSO6_BPyyNIFK0CjE&s=10

Whether Cold Fusion or Low-Energy Nuclear Reactions, U.S. Navy Researchers Reopen Case IEEE Spectrum·Mar '21

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1FJhP-ysXopsKK_leeDGi1GQbDs2Vj4dUYgdzBvsgyg&s=10

Can Nuclear Fusion Put the Brakes on Climate Change? The New Yorker·Oct '21

Published in the print edition of the October 11, 2021, issue, with the headline “Green Dream.”

"Can Nuclear Fusion Put the Brakes on Climate Change?" By Rivka Galchen

4October21 New Yorker Magazine

Can Nuclear Fusion Put the Brakes on Climate Change?
    Amid an escalating crisis, the power source offers a dream—or a pipe dream—of limitless clean energy.
    www.newyorker.com

Quote the article...

Stanley Pons and Martin Fleischmann, convinced the public that they had produced nuclear fusion at room temperature, in what looked like a jar with a little mixer stick in it. They announced their results in a press conference before they published their data or methods.

Also

When Pons and Fleischmann finally published a paper, they were suspected of having fudged their data. No one was able to reliably reproduce their results. - end quotes

gbgoblenote- New Yorker Magazine paid to have this well written, competently researched and up to date 'fusion' article put together and printed.

They should not have even mentioned 'cold fusion' in the article without bringing themselves up to date, do a bit of due diligence.

Terribly ignorant for not doing so.

Overall, I enjoyed the article...

This quote seems specifically relevant to the present state of LENR even though Cowley is speaking about the Wright Brothers nexus in science.

Quote the article

...in Eddington’s fusion paper, that there is something to be said for Icarus. “My feeling is that there’s still an idea that we haven’t had yet, and that once we have it we’ll think what fools we were not to have had it earlier,”

Cowley said. “But the Wright brothers weren’t like me. They weren’t scientists in a lab—they were mechanically minded people who had some new ideas but also who had some...

...luck on their side in terms of other technologies that came of age at the right time. - end quotes

...Same Same...

• This evening a strange thing happened. I was looking back a decade, as a journalistic research exercise. I googled with quotation marks "Cold fusion now 2012" and this google snippet popped up at the top.

Amazing present state of LENR.

This is certainly new. Never seen it narrow the search this dramatically in the hundreds of searches I do monthly. I wonder why.

A good descriptive snippet.

Try it... "Cold Fusion Now 2012"

Copy and paste it in... Search

Walla

Not sure why only Irwin's patent pops up.

https://patents.google.com › patent

Nano-Engineered Materials for LENR - Google Patents

The energy landscape of these materials is designed to increase a tunneling probability of atoms that participate in a fusion reaction.

• As i said yesterday, we can't imagine how many things are done at the back side.

Now, i feel the way of this patent very relevant in the same way of thinking with nkodama or papers relating the need of a fct martensitic lattice to improve the electron screening.

• What is the current state of LENR?

Will CMNS energy technologies be seen as a category of MEMS? Or dependent on advanced MEMS technologies? Do leaders in transmutation, thermal or electric CMNS include MEMS science in advanced systems development right now?

Yes I think so. MEMS is an important part of the landscape of present day LENR.

For reasons pertaining to the Google and UC Berkeley LLNL partnership I will spend time learning about, and perhaps finding how MEMS dovetails with CMNS today.

At UC Berkeley

From a Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences Research Area

Micro/Nano Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS)

Research Area: MEMS | EECS at UC Berkeley

Overview

(of particular interest)

Micro/Nano Fabrication

Top down surface and bulk micromachining in various materials, from polysilicon, to electroplated metals, to polymers; bottom up micro- and nano-scale construction methods; micro-assembly methods (e.g., fluidic micro-assembly, directed self-assembly); single-chip integration of MEMS with transistors; wafer-scale bonding.

(also)

Microfluidics

Micro- and nano-scale mechanisms and technologies for moving (i.e., pumping), mixing, and reacting fluids, for such applications as micro-chemical reactors; fuel cells, microengines, and other power generating devices; chemical, bio, and physical sensors; efficient on-chip heating and cooling.

• Sometimes I am clueless...

No

Absolutely

Yes

I LOVE the sound of a

"Coulomb Lattice"

Alan Smith  Shane D.  David Nygren  GreenWin  JedRothwell  rubycarat

Not sure where to put this.

Has Nathaniel been discussed here? This is LCF cold hot fusion, CMNS plasma like SAFFIRE or bits of REGINALD Little concepts?

Jones not Fleischmann

They reference #8#9 Jones '89 et.al. not Pons Fleischmann.

Interesting and

Still active.

Thanks

Gregory

Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a United States Department of Energy national laboratory for plasma physics and nuclear fusion science. Its primary mission is research into and development of fusion as an energy source.

https://w3.pppl.gov/~fisch/fischpapers/Son_Chain_react.pdf

Pycnonuclear reaction and possible chain reactions in an ultra-dense DT plasma

Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory, Princeton University

• April 2005

Authors:

Soyeong Son at ASM International N.V. Soyeong Son

Nathaniel J. Fisch at Princeton University Nathaniel J. Fisch

Acknowledgements

The authors thank R. Kulsrud, G. Hammett, S. Ichimaru, and S. Cohen for useful discussions. This work was supported by a US DOE under contract AC02-76CH0-3073.R

Quote (pg 2/11)

The electrostatic effects still can be, if large, expressed as a multiplicative factor [6,7].

However, in an ultra dense plasma, even the reacting nuclei are bound in a

Coulomb Lattice

To obtain the fusion reaction rate in this regime, quite different methods must be used.

While the so-called cold fusion reactions [8,9] also have employed this pycnonuclear fusion concept,...

....it must be emphasized that the pycnonuclear fusion reaction itself is generally accepted theory [1], even if general acceptance has not been accorded to all the effects to which it has been associated.

A prominent feature of the pycnonuclear reactions...

....is that the fusion rate is extremely sensitive to the density,

...but almost independent of the temperature.

7. Conclusion

We show that, in an ultra dense D–T plasma with ρ = 106 (g cm−3), the pycnonuclear reaction might

be observable in the laboratory although it is not yet clear whether such a dense and cold condition can be achieved. We also show that the local field correction and relativistic correction increase the rate by 40%. We also predict a chain reaction regime.

References

[1] A.G.W. Cameron, Astrophys. J. 130 (1959) 916.

[2] H. Kitamura, Astrophys. J. 539 (2000) 888.

[3] S. Ichimaru, H. Kitamura, Phys. Plasmas 6 (1999) 2649.

[4] E.E. Salpeter, Aust. J. Phys. 7 (1954) 373.

[5] A.V. Gruzinov, J.N. Bahcall, Astrophys. J. 504 (1998) 996.

[6] S. Ichimaru, Rev. Mod. Phys. 65 (1993) 255.

[7] H.E. Dewitt, H.C. Graboske, Astrophys. J. 181 (1973) 439.

[8] S.E. Jones, Nature 338 (1989) 737.

[9] S.E. Jones, D.L. Decker, H.D.

Tolley, Nature 343 (1990) 703.

[10] E.E. Salpeter, H.M. Van Horn, Astrophys. J. 155 (1969) 183.

[11] H.M. Van Horn, Astrophys. J. 151 (1968) 227.

[12] C.J. Horowitz, Astrophys. J. 367 (1991) 288.

[13] S. Ichimaru, H. Kitamura, Phys. Plasmas 7 (2000) 3482.

[14] S. Ichimaru, Phys. Plasmas 8 (2001) 4284.

[15] H. Kitamura, S. Ichimaru, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 65 (1996) 1250.

[16] N.J. Fisch, J.M. Rax, Phys. Rev. Lett. 68 (1992) 612.

[17] N.J. Fisch, M.C. Herrmann, Nucl. Fusion 34 (1994) 1541.

[18] S. Ichimaru, S. Mitake, S. Tanaka, X. Yan, Phys. Rev. A 32

(1985) 1768.

[19] S. Ichimaru, K. Utsumi, Astrophys. J. 269 (1983) L51.

[20] B. Jancovici, Nuovo Cimento 26 (1962) 428.

[21] W.B. Hubbard, T. Guillot, J.I. Lunine, Phys. Plasmas 4 (1997)

[22] D.H.E. Dubin, T.M. O’Neil, Rev. Mod. Phys. 71 (1999) 87.

[23] H.K. Mao, R.J. Hemley, Science 244 (1990) 4911.

[24] D. Bohm, D. Pines, Phys. Rev. 92 (1953) 609.

[25] J. Lindhard, K. Dan. Vidensk. Selsk. Mat. Fys. Medd. 28 (8)

(1954).

[26] K.S. Singwi, Phys. Rev. 176 (1968) 589.

[27] S. Ichimaru, Rev. Mod. Phys. 54 (1982) 1017.

[28] B. Jancovici, J. Stat. Phys. 17 (1977) 357.

[29] I. Nagy, J. Laszlo, J. Giber, Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res.

B 27 (1987) 276.

[30] G. Maynard, C. Deutsch, Phys. Rev. A 26 (1982) 665.

[31] G. Gouedaid, C. Deutsch, J. Math. Phys. 19 (1978) 32.

[32] C. Deutsch, G. Maynard, J. Physique 46 (1985) 1113.

[33] I. Nagy, A. Arnau, P.M. Echenique, Phys. Rev. B 40 (1989)

[34] I. Nagy, Phys. Rev. B 62 (2000) 5270.

[35] I. Nagy, A. Arnau, P.M. Enchenique, Phys. Rev. A 43 (1991)

[36] E. Fermi, E. Teller, Phys. Rev. 72 (1947) 399.

[37] M. Tabak, J. Hammer, M.E. Glinsky, W.L. Kruer, S.C. Wilks,

J. Woodworth, E.M. Campbell, M.D. Perry, R.J. Mason, Phys.

Plasmas 1 (1994) 1626.

[38] D.H.E. Dubin, Phys. Rev. E 53 (1996) 5249.

[39] R.E. Kidder, Nucl. Fusion 19 (1979) 223.

[40] M.D. Rosen, Phys. Plasmas 6 (1999) 1690.

[41] L.D. Landau, E.M. Lifshitz, Statistical Physics, Pergamon,

Elmsford, 1980.

[42] J. Dawson, Fusion, vol. 2, Academic Press, New York, 1981.

[43] S. Eliezer, J.M. Martinez-Val, Laser and Particle Beams 16

(1998) 581.

[44] T. Honda, Y. Nakao, Y. Honda, K. Kudo, Nucl. Fusion 31

(1991) 851.

[45] Y. Nakao, T. Honda, K. Kudo, Nucl. Fusion 30 (1990) 143.

[46] S. Son, N.J. Fisch, Phys. Lett. A 329 (2004) 76.

[47] P.C. Gibbons, Phys. Rev. B 13 (1976) 2451.

[48] M. Buttiker, R. Landauer, Phys. Rev. Lett. 49 (1982) 1739.

[49] T. Tanizawa, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 65 (1996) 3157.

ALSO

Nathaniel has been busy

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/357373393_Driving_rotamak_currents_with_minimal_power_dissipation

The Rotamak is a proposed thermonuclear fusion device which employs rotating magnetic fields (RMF) to generate an azimuthal current to produce a field-reversed configuration. The efficiency of the currents that produce the field reversal by RMFs was debated some 40 years ago. The debate revolved around whether the currents would incur dissipation by the conventional Spitzer perpendicular resistivity, or whether some other relation between current and dissipation would be more appropriate. By employing an electron–ion pitch-angle scattering model, we find that the dissipation is non-Spitzer in nature.

However, curiously, there appears to exist a regime

where the power dissipated

to maintain the current

becomes vanishingly

small.

End quotes

• Transmutation by MEMS type reactor

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/358137673_Conceptualized_Transmutation_Reactor_based_on_Cold_Fusion_Mechanism_Possibility_of_Transmutation_to_Superheavy_Element_by_Cold_Fusion_Mechanism

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.