Graphitic Carbon Nitride - Make your own and save $900 per gram.

• Gr-C3N is the latest 'wonder material' - another 'graphene' in the making. Currently it is very expensive, but it costs very little - and requires only modest skills and equipment to make your own. The cost of the raw material, Urea, is trivial and it is readily available.

Current costs to buy it 'ready made' and of guaranteed quality are extortionate - on this website it is £135.00 (US$180) for 200 milligrams - that's $900/gm. :thumbdown:

Graphitic Carbon Nitride 143334-20-7 | Tokyo Chemical Industry UK Ltd.

So what does it do? Here are just some of it's features. It is harder than diamond, can adsorb up to 10X it's mass of hydrogen, is a photo-catalyst and an efficient electron emitter. it can also be used as a replacement for Lithium in CN/Na batteries and much more. I cannot help but wonder if this would be a useful hydrogen carrier for LENR?

The video below, by Robert Murray-Smith (no relation, but no fool either) describes the synthesis and post-treatment of GrCN from Urea. !0 minutes well spent for anybody that likes to play the chemist. I cannot guarantee the efficiency or the purity of the end product- but I have checked out his sources and they are good.

EtA- info on simple synthesis and properties:-

http://www.rsc.org/suppdata/nr/c2/c2nr30948c/c2nr30948c.pdf

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This is a detailed study showing the (relatively) easy synthesis of G-CN nanotubes and nanosheets from raw materials, and their efficiency as hydrogen adsorption systems.

" A facile, one step fabrication method was disclosed in this work which could be used to synthesize porous g-C3N4 nanosheets with high specific surface area and pore volume. The as synthesized g-C3N4 nanosheets not only had the advantage for hydrogen storage, but also could be expected to have good performance in other fields like photocatalyst. In addition, this research reported a nickel based modification method to create defects and pores on g-C3N4 nanotubes. This methodology should pave a new avenue to modify g-C3N4 based materials for advanced applications like photocatalyst, solar cell and lithium battery."

• Thanks, I have quite a few documents on this topic for a while. Not as much as my curiosity demands I'm afraid 🤔. For whatever reason I am unable to upload them to this platform as files from my phone/Google drive.

Hemoglobin/chlorophyll like analogs using other first row transition metals and alkali metals should be quite interesting... talk about maximum surface area 😄❤. Mono-atomic metals in a catalytic graphitic ceramic lattice, much interest.

• Slightly off-topic.

How ‘wonder material’ graphene became a national security concern

THE GUARDIAN | 6 MINUTE READ

Regular readers of Chemistry World will be familiar with graphene – the single atom thick sheets of carbon – regularly given fanciful titles such as ‘the wonder material’ in the popular press. Graphene has graced our pages many times (even before it won the physics (really?) Nobel prize in 2010) as the material has exceptional properties including strength and electrical and thermal conductivity. The excitement provoked by graphene has meant there’s been a race to produce the material in significant quantities and at high purity. Enter Perpetuus, a UK company looking to scale-up production of graphene. The planned takeover of Perpetuus – an SME – was nothing out of the ordinary. However, the takeover was launched by a Chinese company, and this set alarm bells ringing in the UK government. The takeover will now be investigated with one senior MP saying that the technology, which could have potential defence applications, should stay with ‘trusted partners’.

• Don't forget we are all on crackpot web dedicated to crackpot way of fusion...;-)

What was crackpot science yesterday may be protoscience today and frontier science tomorrow.

Graphene/graphites can definately help with suspending the catalysts and reactants in a high temp electron/proton conductive medium. What the graphite is doped with, intentional impurities and molecular structure are way more important when it comes too energy content. You have a great point there though! Carbon isn't magic, but yet with some other elements you have us blessed to be breathing, tight!

• I don't know why you care that graphene is antgravity, when Searl already showed us how to build his antigravity device.

Searl Effect Generator
    Perpetual motion machine caption=The Searl Effect Generator name=Searl Effect Generator topics=Physics and engineering claims= The device rotates and converts…
    en-academic.com

LENR forum loves being associated with crackpots. (I say sarcastically).

• Thanks, I have quite a few documents on this topic for a while. Not as much as my curiosity demands I'm afraid 🤔. For whatever reason I am unable to upload them to this platform as files from my phone/Google drive.

But if there something you find vary interesting, you could perhaps link it?

• This quora question/answer response is quite interesting.

Answer to What is the difference between graphitic carbon nitride (g-C₃N₄) and amorphous carbon nitride (a-CNx)? by Edgar Arbaje https://www.quora.com/What-is-…d=XQ3X&target_type=answer

This is a paper I read a while ago that I wanted to share on here when this discussion was opened. Well literally with those willing to listen and read with interest.

g-C3N4 Modified biochar as an adsorptive and photocatalytic material for decontamination of aqueous organic pollutants
    Converting the waste biomasses with high-carbon content into value-added materials is an environmental-friendly way for their utilization. In this stu…
    www.sciencedirect.com

• More from Murray-Smith on a very simple synthesis of carbon-doped G-CN from sugar and urea. This is claimed to be a very effective hydrogen storage material able to capture up to 10% of it's own weigh in H2 - which if correct is pretty phenomenal, suggesting that 200 grams of the compound would hold 224 litres of H2 at STP. However, the need to heat it to 300C to release the H2 is a bit off-putting.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• More from Murray-Smith on a very simple synthesis of carbon-doped G-CN from sugar and urea. This is claimed to be a very effective hydrogen storage material able to capture up to 10% of it's own weigh in H2 - which if correct is pretty phenomenal, suggesting that 200 grams of the compound would hold 224 litres of H2 at STP. However, the need to heat it to 300C to release the H2 is a bit off-putting.

Thank God we got LENR, called from personal conviction, mostly the entering medium of picochemistry. The kindling temps of reaction quoted by Dufours for Iron and Mills for hydrogen are only a couple hundred degrees more. At 1000 times the energy density pee atom it's valuable and worth it.

• The problem with molecular H2 gas storage is keeping it in its molecular form which cannot escape from storage tanks because of its molecular size. As soon as it breaks into its gaseous form it goes into an equilibrium STATE according to the LAW OF MASS ACTION ie

H2 = H + H

Which is reversible so if we steadily reduce the [H} concentration since atomic H will leak out of most known containers, the equilibrium is SHIFTED to CONTINUOUSLY leak H which if there is sufficient O2 around will trigger a detonation with the slightest spark of HEAT. Which is EXACTLY why the TESLAS have this inherent design flaw that on impact THEY WILL SIMPLY EXPLODE. The team at TOP GEAR, Jeremy Clarkson et al tested one out and sure enough nearly killed Hammond when he crashed it on a test run. So petrol and diesel will always be safer than HYDROGEN or Hybrid electric cars. The ONLY advantage of Li ion batteries vs Pb-SO4 lead-acid batteries is that they have less mass and are great in electric :) bicycles for fun......but totally inappropriate in concealed compartments within electric or hybrid cars.which will explode if sufficient monatomic hydrogen leaks out. :) :) :)

• The problem with molecular H2 gas storage is keeping it in its molecular form which cannot escape from storage tanks because of its molecular size. As soon as it breaks into its gaseous form it goes into an equilibrium STATE according to the LAW OF MASS ACTION ie

H2 = H + H

Which is reversible so if we steadily reduce the [H} concentration since atomic H will leak out of most known containers, the equilibrium is SHIFTED to CONTINUOUSLY leak H which if there is sufficient O2 around will trigger a detonation with the slightest spark of HEAT. Which is EXACTLY why the TESLAS have this inherent design flaw that on impact THEY WILL SIMPLY EXPLODE. The team at TOP GEAR, Jeremy Clarkson et al tested one out and sure enough nearly killed Hammond when he crashed it on a test run. So petrol and diesel will always be safer than HYDROGEN or Hybrid electric cars. The ONLY advantage of Li ion batteries vs Pb-SO4 lead-acid batteries is that they have less mass and are great in electric :) bicycles for fun......but totally inappropriate in concealed compartments within electric or hybrid cars.which will explode if sufficient monatomic hydrogen leaks out. :) :) :)

True there is a new Tesla battery chemistry atm though.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.