ARPA-E LENR funded projects news and updates

• US Department of Energy’s Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) to hold LENR Workshop:

Thanks to Ahlfors to bring this to our attention, I think it deserves much more attention, as it yet another official recognition of LENR as a valid field of Research in great need of funding and further development.

2021.11.12. Updated with slides from the workshop published.

https://arpa-e.energy.gov/events/low-energy-nuclear-reactions-workshop

Low-Energy Nuclear Reactions Workshop

October 21-22, 2021

The objective of this workshop is to explore compelling R&D opportunities in Low-Energy Nuclear Reactions (LENR) [1], in support of developing metrics for a potential ARPA-E R&D program in LENR. Despite a large body of empirical evidence for LENR that has been reported internationally over the past 30+ years in both published and unpublished materials, as well as multiple books, there still does not exist a widely accepted, on-demand, repeatable LENR experiment nor a sound theoretical basis. This has led to a stalemate where adequate funding is not accessible to establish irrefutable evidence and understanding of LENR, and lack of the latter precludes the field from accessing adequate funding. Building on and leveraging the most promising recent developments in LENR research, ARPA-E envisions a potential two-phase approach toward breaking this stalemate:

1. 1. Support targeted R&D toward establishing at least one on-demand, repeatable LENR experiment with diagnostic evidence that is convincing to the wider scientific community (focus of this workshop);
    2. 2. If phase 1 above is successful (metrics to be determined), support a broader range of R&D activities (to be defined later) toward better understanding of LENR and its potential for scale-up toward disruptive energy applications, thus setting up LENR for broader and more systematic support by both the public and private sectors.

Familiar LENR researcher names that will have a role in the development of the workshop are:

David Nagel, Florian Metzler, David McKubre, Robert Duncan,

Also one expert of Calorimetry (David Fork) and Matt Trevithick, both officially participating as Google representatives.

Of special interest is that will involve a “lightning session” with private sector enterprises:

Clean Planet, Industrial Heat, Brillouin Energy, LENRIA, Limitless Space Institute, Anthropocene Institute (5 each followed by Q&A/discussion) .

Also of note the foot page that acknowledges LENR as:

For the purposes of this workshop, LENR is defined as a not-yet-understood process (or class of processes) characterized by system energy outputs characteristic of nuclear physics (typically >> 1 keV/amu/reaction) and energy inputs characteristic of chemistry (~eV/atom).

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• I think the LEC is probably a very strong candidate to “on-demand, repeatable LENR experiment with diagnostic evidence that is convincing to the wider scientific community ”. At least if we agree that is highly likely to be an expression of LENR. Frank Gordon , are you invited or aware of this upcoming Workshop?

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• I think the LEC is probably a very strong candidate to “on-demand, repeatable LENR experiment

Based on what has been reported, I don't think it fits the criteria in italics in your first message:

"...process (or class of processes) characterized by system energy outputs characteristic of nuclear physics (typically >> 1 keV/amu/reaction)..."

Nor have I found it to be an "on-demand, repeatable LENR experiment", though I have not stopped trying to make it happen.

• Based on what has been reported, I don't think it fits the criteria in italics in your first message:

"...process (or class of processes) characterized by system energy outputs characteristic of nuclear physics (typically >> 1 keV/amu/reaction)..."

Nor have I found it to be an "on-demand, repeatable LENR experiment", though I have not stopped trying to make it happen.

I agree that from your perspective it may seem like that. We don’t know much of the underlying mechanism also, but the successful replications of the LEC are interesting enough from this perspective. At least much more than in other cases, with the advantage of being, probably, Much easier to assess from an energy balance point of view, since no calorimetry is required. The question is still open, tho.

If you ask me, I would totally propose the ULTR experiment for this Workshop, even if not from the energy point of view, the repeatability of the observation of what seems to be predictable and consistent transmutations, is impressive, as you have been able to verify by yourself.

But I don’t know if an experiment of this kind would ever be considered, as it is too paradigm shifting and disruptive in its implications.

• "Summary of LENR research in Japan Dr. Shinya Narita, Professor, Iwate University (25+5)".

More on Prof. Narita

http://univdb.iwate-u.ac.jp/html/304_en.html and

成田 晋也 (Shinya Narita) - マイポータル - researchmap

One of his papers:

First Study of Rapidity Gaps in e+e- Annihilation

K.Abe, S.Narita et al.

Physical Review Letters 76 4886 - 4890 1996.06 [Refereed]

Academic Journal Multiple authorship

This was in 1996.

e+e- Annihilation is one of the possible processes that Holmlid suggests when UDH/UDD is involved.

Most relevant are his papers on deuterium loading effects of multi-layer metals however, which seems independent from Iwamura's research.

• I noticed this last night:

3:00 to 5:00 PMOne-on-one meetings

10-minute one-on-one meetings with ARPA-E team

(please contact [email protected]

to request an appointment)

I think this would be the best shot to get a chance of getting involved in the workshop, which has otherwise the aspect of being neatly packed and closed to access from people not already involved in it.

• This is great news.

The "repeatable experiment" part will need more than a lightning round though.

I wonder how deep the openness to include LENR runs? ARPA-E has said the word LENR before, but not much happened publicly, as far as I know. What has changed?

NASA's reactor advances, the Japanese public/private collaboration successes, Brillouin advancing commercially, university participation in the US, and advocacy efforts by Silicon Valley, likely all made this happen. How could they keep ignoring these developments?

• What has changed?

This has changed in the US: Biden administration frees up significant money to invest in green technology --> budgets became available!

How could they keep ignoring these developments?

They did not ignore it but did not have have the budgets thanks to the previous president(s) who pushed oil and coal.

• The "repeatable experiment" part will need more than a lightning round though.

Quote ARPA-E

"widely accepted,

on-demand, repeatable LENR experiment"

What defines "widely accepted"....

The SPAWAR GEC co-deposition protocol meets this criteria... in my opinion. GEC also makes the boldest 'useful energy' market entry claims.

Quote Global Energy Corporation

• JWK Corporation and Global Energy Corporation have spent the past two decades understanding and developing Condensed Matter Nuclear Reactions with the US Navy and NASA. This has resulted in a US Patent, 8,419,919 “System and Method Generating Particles”, that has been

replicated

and published in over 50 peer-reviewed papers. end quotes

I predicted the Google Cold Fusion Research team to resurface with advanced naval/defence LENR research groups. Here they are... Nice to see these guys going public together.

Will the next Nature Google/LENR article have greater depth and better information? I wonder how the unmentioned Google Inc. cold fusion patents are doing and imagine we will see new and more advanced patents from the Google team soon. (it's time to check)

Jeremy Munday (the Google Inc cold fusion patents lead inventor) is likely still involved. His lab has a sizable defense grant for continued research, now at UC Davis.

Let's hope L. Forsley, Vladimir Pines and a few other notables from the SPAWAR NASA Lattice Confinement Fusion and GEC partnership release their latest milestones and advances. The LEC lab rat fits in somehow... yet to me it seems just an introductory side show in many ways childs play...

Hopefully

Global Energy Corporation is, most likely is, sharing everything they have with this new ARPA-E CMNS atomicaether energy market entry group already.

Further References

“DTRA: Investigation of Nano-Nuclear Reactions in Condensed Matter Final Report” June 2016 Affiliation: US Navy SPAWAR-PAC, Global Energy Corporation, University of New Mexico, University of Austin

From Table 5-2. (page 88) List of presentations to admirals and heads of government agencies.

Date / Meeting Place / Person(s) Briefed

• Aug. 2, 2006 NDIA Naval S&T Partnership Conference in Washington DC: RADM William E. Landay III (head of ONR), Dr. Mike McGrath (head of S&T at ASN, RDA), Lt. Gen. Lawrence P. Farrell Jr. (USAF, retired)
    • Sept. 28, 2006 Capt. S. Black (Navy Liaison to the Vice President) in the Vice Presidents’ ceremonial office in the old executive office building in Washington DC.
    • May 2007 NDIA Joint Services Environmental Management Conference in Columbus, OH: Len Gollobin (Head of NDIA Energy Security Panel), Jim Woolsey (former head of CIA)
    • Nov. 7, 2007 SSC-Pacific: RADM Charles (Grunt) Smith (Vice CDR of SPAWAR)
    • May 2008 SSC-Pacific: James Colvard (retired SES, on special assignment to the Secretary of the Navy)
    • Apr. 2009 SSC-Pacific: ADM James Hogg (four star admiral, retired)
    • Apr. 14, 2009 SSC-Pacific: Brief given to congressional staffers
    • Apr. 27, 2009 SSC-Pacific: RADM Nevin P. Carr Jr. (Head of ONR)
    • May 14, 2009 AFCEA C4ISR at the San Diego Convention Center
    • June 26, 2009 SSC-Pacific: Dr. Richard L. Garwin (JASON Defense Advisory Group)
    • Aug. 2009 SSC-Pacific: B.J. Penn (ASN)
    • Sept. 24, 2009 SSC-Pacific: RADM Joe Rixey (Vice CDR of SPAWAR)
    • Oct. 27, 2009 SSC-Pacific: Mr. Zachary Lemnios (DDR&E)
    • Dec. 9, 2009 Chief of Naval Operations/Strategic Studies Group
    • May 13, 2010 MITRE Corp., VA, EMIS
    • June 29, 2010 Army Research Labs, Adelphi MD: RDECOM Power and Energy TFT LENR Workshop
    • Oct. 14, 2010 SSC-Pacific: Congressman Darrell Issa
    • Aug. 30, 2011 SSC-Pacific: Dr. Richard Carlin (ONR)
    • Others: RADM Kenneth Slaght (SPAWAR HQ); RADM Tim Flynn (when Captain of SSC-San Diego); Dr. John Fisher (DDR&E); Dr. Fred Saalfeld (senior civilian at ONR); VADM G. Peter Nanos (retired, Associate Director R&D at DTRA); Congresswoman Susan Davis; Senator Diane Feinstein

NASA GEC LENR Reactor for Space Power/Electric Space Drive

Scale-up Build and Test 100 kilowatt to 20 megawatt thermal

+ Umbrella Agreement - January 2018

• The initial goal is to develop and run a self-sustaining 10 kW thermal, 2 kW electric, hybrid generator for planetary space missions and planetary surface power. Such generator technology would be scalable to 100 kW at the Plum Book Facility. Larger generator designs would be built and run at appropriate offsite location. https://www.nasa.gov/saa/domestic/24838_SAA3-1529.pdf

• + Umbrella Agreement - January 2018

• The initial goal is to develop and run a self-sustaining 10 kW thermal, 2 kW electric, hybrid generator for planetary space missions and planetary surface power. Such generator technology would be scalable to 100 kW at the Plum Book Facility. Larger generator designs would be built and run at appropriate offsite location. https://www.nasa.gov/saa/domestic/24838_SAA3-1529.pdf

Any info available, if the milestones according to umbrella agreement have been reached and at what extend?

• None yet...

Soon I expect. If Leonardo Corporation enters the market with the SKLED we will see GEC disclosure and market entry. Dominance in space is the primary goal of the U. S. CMNS energy group(s), coordinated in Washington, in part, by Louis De Chiaro. Full disclosure of these concerted efforts will be after this is achieved.

• This is great news.

The "repeatable experiment" part will need more than a lightning round though.

I wonder how deep the openness to include LENR runs? ARPA-E has said the word LENR before, but not much happened publicly, as far as I know. What has changed?

NASA's reactor advances, the Japanese public/private collaboration successes, Brillouin advancing commercially, university participation in the US, and advocacy efforts by Silicon Valley, likely all made this happen. How could they keep ignoring these developments?

rubycarat , I can’t help but think that there is much more happening behind walls than we are let known, if you see The workshop program and attendants you must realize there’s no way they aren’t already in contact to have planned this event, all major private sector LENR players, including Clean Planet and Brillouin, will be there along some known funding like the Anthropocene Institute. This doesn’t happen by chance. This must be the result of a lot of information exchange and lobbying behind the scenes and the workshop will be the way to bring it forward to the public and present a working schedule and funding options.

• This must be the result of a lot of information exchange and lobbying behind the scenes and the workshop will be the way to bring it forward to the public

I agree. Google Inc. is of particular interest. They downplayed their cold fusion research efforts with no mention of the patents filed or further patent development and applied engineering plans. Now they work under a DoD contract. This is market entry with a capital M for military considerations. Keep in mind that the DTRA defense threat reduction agency was initially formed to manage the Manhattan Project, development of nuclear weapons/military reactor power plants, and to oversee the Atomic Energy Commission.

If Rossi is influenced by the DTRA it would put his many delays in a different light...

We shall see. Future historians will leave no stone unturned.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.