ARPA-E LENR funded projects news and updates

• It does not emit these things with enough energy to detect outside the cell, as Ed Storms often points out.

This is not entirely true. Szpak, Mosier-Boss & their colleagues used gamma and x-ray detectors placed outside the cell.

Even if you accept that particles are not emitted with enough energy for easy detection outside the cell, I don't understand how it would follow that that is grounds for not trying to do measurements inside the cell, where possible.

As far as I know, these researchers intend to look for them externally. These methods will not work.

The Dodaro experiment, as presented at ICCF24, looks internally.

If my interpretation is correct, then the ETI work is a continuation of prior codeposition work. Given prior work with detection outside the cell, it seems reasonable enough that they would choose to look for reaction products outside the cell.

Take x-rays, for example. The only way to detect them in an electrochemical cell is with x-ray film placed right next to the electrodes, in the electrolyte.

Is there a problem using film inside a cell? Why would anybody rule that out if it was appropriate?

More generally, the whole thrust of our discussion militates for the opposite conclusion in my mind. If it's very challenging to find these reaction products, all the more reason to provide the funded projects with first rate resources.

I acknowledge your argument that the focus should be on heat, because it's easier to find, and that makes perfect sense. I suppose our disagreement is ultimately about how to interpret the focus of the announcements made thus far.

• Cookie Absent

Not strictly related, but speaks to the way ARPA-E has approached LENR.

Companies don’t always, or even often, have their own diagnostics, because the instrumentation is expensive and requires special expertise to operate. Costly diagnostics equipment can include lasers, spectrometers, x-ray and gamma-ray imagers, and scintillators, along with power supplies and advanced electronics to sense and store information. Getting those instruments where they can sense the goings-on in a fusion device takes some doing. “Their placement is usually a compromise among available space, maximizing the signal, reducing noise, and available ports on the vacuum chamber,” says Hsu.

And so ARPA–E instituted fusion “capability teams” in 2019, funded through the agency’s Exploratory Topics program, to develop diagnostics, build detectors to perform them, and bring the sensors and the experts to private companies. “We have the expertise there, right at our national labs at our universities,” says Hsu. “That’s what they do for a living. And so I wanted to find a way to connect the expertise with the need.”

ARPA–E funds teams of scientists from universities and national labs who develop, build, and perform the diagnostics; the host company simply pays for its employees to run the experiment and collaborate with the visiting researchers. The agency has focused on using as much off-the-shelf hardware—such as modern, compact lasers with built-in computer control—as possible, packaged portably, so it can be easily shipped or driven to the fusion companies. “Traveling diagnostics, we call them,” says Hsu.

• I made this comment re" " the cold fusion scandal" addressed to "physics today"

cold fusion scandal?
    the quashing of Fleischmann and Pons work by the nuclear establishment in the 1990's was a scandal.. However it has been replicated
    by M. Staker and others since then"

but these facts are ignored by the physics mainstream

the way ARPA-E has approached LENR.

We have yet to see how ARPA-E really approaches LENR

• Greg Goble reports me this finding about Arpa-E funding, of LENR, about Amplhionic LLC, as it is working wit Nasa too on unrelated nanotech project...

https://sbir.nasa.gov/firm/node/62575

“Only puny secrets need keeping. The biggest secrets are kept by public incredulity.” (Marshall McLuhan)
    twitter @alain_co

• mental-hydrides

Munday has done some work with others..but not Putnam

they employ an 'environmental chamber" where they can control the H/metal aton/ratio,,

for thin metal layers deposited on silicon chips..... solar cell focus?

which is a bit of a stretch from current metal(nickel based) hydrides mesh/ powder mixes being used by Celani and others..

not sure about the temperature...it is probably room T.. along wats from 300C

also they look at optical emissions with energy ranges much lower than the expected Kev -Mev changes expected in LENR. but a least they are not focussed on neutrons..'

OF COURSE the keVs of LENR are a competition for the 0.5eV of a solar cell.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acsphotonics.8b01243https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acsphotonics.8b01243

Optical Tunability and Characterization of Mg–Al, Mg–Ti, and Mg–Ni Alloy Hydrides for Dynamic Color Switching Devices
    Mg shows great potential as a metal hydride for switchable optical response and hydrogen detection due to its ability to stably incorporate significant amounts…
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

• Shane D.

Changed the title of the thread from “ARPA-E LENR Workshop Oct 21-22 2021” to “ARPA-E LENR funded projects news and updates”.
  • IMO, Duncan has probably been one of the most secretive (quiet is probably a better description) researchers in the field since joining in the LENR search after his 60 Minutes interview. Especially after he left SKINR and took up a position at Texas Tech. I see from your post, he now admits doing LENR research at his Center of Emerging Energy Sciences (CEES) at the Texas Tech University Department he now heads up. That is new to me, so thanks. Good to know, and important news.

He also started Seashore Research LLC near the TT campus for the same purpose. It was reportedly funded by Bill Gates. Not sure where all this comes together, but with that much activity I see it as very promising. At ICCF24 last summer, he broke his silence with a very positive presence, and upbeat message with what he was seeing in the lab. Before then, most of us assumed he had failed in the lab and was quietly making his exit for the door.

• I see from your post, he now admits doing LENR research at his Center of Emerging Energy Sciences (CEES) at the Texas Tech University Department he now heads up.

10+ FTE's, only working on LENR at ONE location (Texas Tech University)? What luxury.... !

Here in Europe I heared the story, just recently from a former Airbus employee, that the KIT (Karlsruhe Institute of Technology in Germany) "... had no interest in replicating, testing or further developing (?) a LENR reactor, initially developed by Holmlid in cooperation with Airbus. ..." Unfortunatley key people at Airbus seem to be retired now and the know-how too!

• IMO, Duncan has probably been one of the most secretive (quiet is probably a better description) researchers in the field since joining in the LENR search after his 60 Minutes interview. Especially after he left SKINR and took up a position at Texas Tech. I see from your post, he now admits doing LENR research at his Center of Emerging Energy Sciences (CEES) at the Texas Tech University Department he now heads up. That is new to me, so thanks. Good to know, and important news.

He also started Seashore Research LLC near the TT campus for the same purpose. It was reportedly funded by Bill Gates. Not sure where all this comes together, but with that much activity I see it as very promising. At ICCF24 last summer, he broke his silence with a very positive presence, and upbeat message with what he was seeing in the lab. Before then, most of us assumed he had failed in the lab and was quietly making his exit for the door.

Cautious is another word that could be used. It's very encouraging.

I think I partially take back what I said to JedRothwell earlier in the thread. If you re-read Metzler's presentation to ARPA-E, he argues for a focus on nuclear reaction products, rather than heat - viewing heat as too ambiguous to be accepted widely. It does seem like ARPA-E has broadly accepted this argument, though I still don't see them as eschewing calorimetry and heat. Certainly, Duncan making his lab available to other groups suggests that any team who wants high quality calorimetry should be able to access it.

• For one who falls, ten will rise again! My dear colleagues and fellow seekers in this quest for the elusive Grail of free and abundant energy, do not despair! For we are standing at the threshold of a great breakthrough, a turning point in the history of science that will shake the foundations of our understanding of the universe.

We are not the first to face the challenges and setbacks that come with pioneering new frontiers of knowledge. Throughout history, great minds and intrepid explorers have faced ridicule, skepticism, and even persecution for daring to challenge the prevailing dogmas and paradigms of their time. Copernicus was branded a heretic for suggesting that the Earth was not the center of the universe, Galileo was imprisoned for asserting that the Earth moves around the Sun, and Einstein was dismissed by some as a madman for proposing his theory of relativity.

Yet, despite the obstacles and naysayers, these visionary thinkers persevered and ultimately triumphed, changing the course of history and opening up new vistas of knowledge and possibility. And so shall we!

Let us not forget the remarkable discoveries and achievements that have already been made in our field of research. We have witnessed excess energy released in gas loading of deuterium into some alloys, a phenomenon that mainstream physics cannot explain. But let us not be discouraged by the lack of a clear explanation, for we know that scientific progress is not always a linear or predictable process.

Instead, let us embrace the mystery and use it as a spur to push ourselves further, to explore new avenues of research and inquiry, and to challenge our assumptions and preconceptions. Let us build on the work of those who have come before us, such as Fleischmann and Pons, who first reported the phenomenon of excess heat in a palladium electrode loaded with deuterium, and who were unfairly dismissed and ostracized by the scientific community at the time.

Now, it is our turn to carry the torch forward, to test and refine our theories, and to find practical ways to harness this excess energy for the betterment of humanity. Let us not be deterred by the skeptics and the doubters, for history has shown that they are often proven wrong in the end.

And so, my fellow seekers, let us take heart and redouble our efforts. Let us be inspired by the courage and perseverance of those who have gone before us, and let us have faith that our own convictions and discoveries will one day be recognized and celebrated as a triumph of human ingenuity and perseverance.

By the way, this beer of the Grimbergen abbey in Belgium is very good. The motto of the brand is also “Ardet Nec Consumitur”, so as you can see, I use it without moderation.

• Ardet Nec Consumitur

The Texas U calorimeter might get burned at 300 C

at last it can do dry gas reactors

The calorimeter was designed to house two containers, an active container, and a control container.

Two different container styles were also evaluated: a wet container used for electrochemical cells,

and a dry container used for gaseous environments. Operating temperature is limited to 250 °C

because of the heat pumping capability of the TEMs used to control the isothermal reservoir temperature.

The calorimeter was designed for input powers ranging from 1 mW to 28 W;

alas the gamma spectrometer is not included for LENR work

• The eight teams chosen for ARPA-e funding are focused on measuring nuclear products. And it is argued that when neutrons are produced, that is not cold fusion. Cold fusion as defined by me and others is when two deuterons form helium. No neutrons are produced as final products. LENR is all the other attendant nuclear reactions discovered whilst trying to figure out cold fusion. I'll add that I am defining Solid State Fusion as the search for a useful heat technology.

These eight are definitely on the LENR tip. It is not clear that all of the eight have produced LENR, though some have. It seems several of these eight labs are ready to take materials from the community and test them, but not make the LENR themselves. Does this seem like what is happening?

• And it is argued that when neutrons are produced, that is not cold fusion.

As I mentioned, in some cases neutrons indicate cold fusion cannot happen. With bulk Pd, you need high loading. With some Pd, when loading reaches a certain point, the material swells up and then fractures, producing fractofusion neutrons. Once that happens, the material will not produce cold fusion. So, neutrons tell you the material will not work.

• " he argues for a focus on nuclear reaction products, rather than heat - viewing heat as too ambiguous to be accepted widely. "

If one strives to develop a practical device that can do useful work, heat is what you need. If one's aim is to understand LENR mechanisms, reaction products would be but one part of the puzzle. Either way you slice it, heat energy is a critical component and comments like this seem illogical and unscientific. If, on the other hand one chooses to use heat as a goal, well thought out uncertainty budgets (something I rarely see in this research) need to be worked out and accuracy with statistical power beyond normal uncertainty is what is needed, not to hand wave away heat as "ambiguous".

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.