ARPA-E LENR funded projects news and updates

• The workshop program and attendants you must realize there’s no way they aren’t already in contact to have planned this event, ............This must be the result of a lot of information exchange and lobbying behind the scenes and the workshop will be the way to bring it forward to the public and present a working schedule and funding options.

Marshall McLuhan said that the service environment for any new technology is already in place before the technology arises as a figure out of the ground. Our service environment is just about ready it seems. We just need that final step of an actual technology. It's been so loooong. This meeting makes me more confident we are still on the path to success.

• I am a geologist myself and worked with Alfred Wegener in the search for oil and gas. Now I realized a long time ago that we need new energy and now we have come to this. Oil is the blood of the planet and pumping it out is ruining the planet. I found globular nodules and look at them, how everything happens in the earth's crust. All substances in the earth are formed due to terrestrial electricity and I go in search of new energy due to geology and geophysics. You correctly made such a detour with Wegener-this is my idol! Rubikarat don't forget my concretions, tell me about them there, they will give a very good idea, I'm looking for them and I have to find them...

• That's a good definition. Someone thought about that carefully.

It is a bias definition. It assumes that LENR does transmutation and that energy rather than matter is the only output of an LENR reaction. I have proven by mass balance of the transmutation reaction that this is not the case.

The usually energy output is around 4/10000 th of the expectation of the mass loss to energy production based on E=mc*c

• A shift in focus is coming for a DOE loan program

The proposed fy 2022 budget begins a process of ensuring that federal funding no longer directly subsidizes fossil fuels.

October 14, 2021 Ryan Kennedy

2017-12-21-07_03_07-1024px-Department_of_Energy_Sign.jpg-JPEG-Image-1024-%C3%97-768-pixels.jpg

Image: Wikimedia Commons

Icon Facebook Icon Twitter Icon LinkedIn Icon WhatsApp Icon Email

The Department of Energy’s (DOE) Loan Programs Office (LPO) has issued more than $35 billion in loans and loan guarantees for more than 30 projects to date. In the past decade, the program has largely been dormant, but program director Jigar Shah is calling attention to it as a useful catalyst.

Over $44 billion in funding is available for the advancement of energy infrastructure, with a little more than 10% of that total dedicated to all renewable energy and energy efficiency projects. The remainder is earmarked to vehicle advancement ($17.7b), nuclear ($8.5b), Tribal Energy Loan Guarantees ($2b), and fossil fuels($8.5b).

That dynamic is set to shift however.

The fiscal year 2022 budget request from the Department of Energy begins the process of ensuring that federal funding no longer directly subsidizes fossil fuels. That shift is required in Section 209 of Executive Order 14008, Tackling the Climate Crisis at Home and Abroad.

The LPO will ensure that its Title 17 program only encourages projects that help achieve a carbon-emission-free electric sector by 2035 and net-zero emissions economy wide by 2050. The program will avoid directly subsidizing fossil fuels by excluding traditional fossil projects from consideration for a loan guarantee. DOE-LPO_JIGAR_SHAH-600x750.jpgLPO director Jigar Shah.
    Image: energy.gov

The LPO was established as part of the Energy Policy Act of 2005. It provides access to debt capital for large-scale infrastructure projects in the United States.

Qualifying projects must “avoid, reduce, or sequester air pollutants or anthropogenic emissions of greenhouse gases; employ new or significantly improved technologies compared to commercial technologies in service in the United States at the time the guarantee is issued; and offer a reasonable prospect of repayment of the principal and interest on the guaranteed obligation.”

A decade ago, the LPO was a powerful tool that helped launch solar and electric vehicles companies into bankable investments. Commercial debt markets typically are not enthusiastic about putting new technology on their books, so the LPO does it first, said Shah.

Shah pointed to the LPO’s early investment in Tesla as a major driver of the company’s success.

He said that today, without the help of the LPO, renewable energy projects are entering Wall Street at a rapid rate. While he previously had voiced concerns about the LPO as an effective near-term catalyst for decarbonization, Shah has recently changed his mind.

He said support and leadership from Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm has reinvigorated interest in the program. Shah said he expects an average of $7 billion a month in applications to flow in. The ramp-up in interest has led to over 400 calls a week being fielded by a newly expanded LPO outreach team, he said.

This new wave of interest presents the LPO with an opportunity to fund the most impactful decarbonization projects on a large scale. One feature the LPO is prioritizing is integrating smart technologies, so that distributed resources are better able to respond to grid supply and demand, and provide reliability services.

LPO isn’t the only federal support available for solar. In fiscal year 2020, DOE’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy dedicated $280 million of its $2.8 billion budget to run its Solar Energy Technologies Office. This office focuses more on the research and development side than commercialization, and tackles issues like advanced solar systems integration technologies, concentrated solar power (CSP) research, PV research and development, and solar workforce initiatives.

Нефть - это кровь планеты, надо сделать модель планеты и мы получим генератор Тарасенко, эта энергия покорит вселенную! :lenr:

• there still does not exist a widely accepted, on-demand, repeatable LENR experiment nor a sound theoretical basis

It's both wrong, but people from some strange reason prefer to brush their pet theories rather than to focus to simple explanation and experiments which actually work 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. The LENR community needs some uncompromising manager in Lavrentii Berija style: stop with twaddling and replicate what works here first. Democracy apparently doesn't work well here.

• Nice to see these folks from NASA and GEC in the updated schedule. DR. Benyo has worked with GEC for years. I wonder if the guiding PineScie theory will be presented. I believe the claims of GEC, a trickle charger ready for market. In other words, the LEC concept developed to the point of useful electrical output ready for market. With ample time elapsed and near unlimited resources might successful dopants and excitation methods ensue. I wondered about, Professor Pramod Reddy, an unknown speaker...

Lightning round Experiments

Dr. Fran Tanzella, Brillouin Energy

Dr. Theresa Benyo, NASA Glenn Research Center

Mr. Larry Forsley, NASA, Global Energy Corporation

Dr. Pramod Reddy, Professor, U. Michigan

Dr. Pam Mosier-Boss, Global Energy Corporation

Energy Transfer in Nanoscale Gaps and Atomic Junctions by Professor Pramod Reddy Nov 8, 2018

https://www.mae.ucla.edu/upcom…y-university-of-michigan/

ABSTRACT: Understanding radiative and conductive heat transfer in nanoscale gaps and devices is of considerable interest for creating novel energy conversion and information processing devices. In this talk, I will first describe ongoing efforts in our group to experimentally elucidate nanoscale radiative heat transfer. Specifically, I will present our recent experimental work where we have addressed the following questions: Can existing theories accurately describe radiative heat transfer in single nanometer sized gaps1? Can radiative thermal conductances that are orders of magnitude larger than those between blackbodies be achieved2? In order to address these questions we have developed a variety of instrumentation including novel nanopositioning platforms and microdevices, which will also be described. In addition, I will also discuss recent experimental work3 from our group where we made first measurements of heat transport and Peltier cooling at the atomic scale to elucidate the novel quantum transport properties that arise in atomic and molecular junctions. Finally, I will briefly outline how these technical advances can be leveraged for future investigations of nanoscale heat transport and near-field thermophotovoltaic energy conversion.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.