ARPA-E LENR funded projects news and updates

• only a few cultures allow scientific talent to flourish, because it is so disruptive.

Here are my two favorite quotes about this:

H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, describing events in 1900 from the point of view of 1950:

‘I have been reading some old papers lately. It is wonderful how our fathers bore themselves towards science. They hated it. They feared it. They permitted a few scientific men to exist and work—a pitiful handful.... “Don’t find out anything about us,” they said to them; “don’t inflict vision upon us, spare our little ways of life from the fearful shaft of understanding. But do tricks for us, little limited tricks. Give us cheap lighting. And cure us of certain disagreeable things, cure us of cancer, cure us of consumption, cure our colds and relieve us after repletion....” We have changed all that, Gardener. Science is no longer our servant. We know it for something greater than our little individual selves. It is the awakening mind of the race, and in a little while——In a little while——I wish indeed I could watch for that little while, now that the curtain has risen....

From "The Origins of Scientific Thought," by Giorgio de Santillana, (U. Chicago, Mentor; 1961), p. 281 - 283, describing the intellectual atmosphere around 200 b.c.

. . . The failure of imagination explains, among other things, why men became so reactionary-minded, even when they thought they were entertaining the most lofty and liberal ideals. Something like that was to occur again in the American South. When Aristotle, the great master of ethics, said that slavery is a fact of nature, and that we shall need slaves so long as the shuttle will not run in the loom by itself, he had registered one of those great mental blocks which foretell the end of a cycle. And this leads us to what is obviously crucial, the lack of an applied science.

Pure science is always a hazardous and unfinished affair, stretching out its structures in perilous balance over the unknown. It does not suit men’s whims or comfort their fears. In order to be accepted by a tough-minded society, it must produce unquestionable and stunning results, as happened with Newton’s laws. Otherwise, it will be told to lay off and not disturb people’s minds unnecessarily. Men like Galileo, when they dare to speak openly, will be reproved. It happened at the freest moment of Greek thought with Anaxagoras; it happened again in a different context with Aristarchus and his Copernican suggestion. Much has been said of a “loss of nerve” in Greek speculation after 300 b.c. The expression may not be accurate, but it circumscribes something that certainly took place: an inflection away from certain lines of research, a lack of aggressiveness, a kind of settling down.

Looking through my old notes, I wrote down this version of what Fleischmann said:

“People do not want progress. It makes them uncomfortable. They don’t want it, and they shan’t have it.”

See also a bunch of quotes here, showing how fear of progress is human nature, and common even among scientists: http://amasci.com/weird/skepquot.html

I like this one. I have often reprimanded myself for doing what Trotter warns against:

"If we watch ourselves honestly we shall often find that we have begun to argue against a new idea even before it has been completely stated." - Wilfred Trotter

• Well you well touched me , creativity generated by curiosity remains a real gift from the " big boss" i'm, yes, lucky, in this way :)

Now, about Galileo you mentioned, he became recognized only when died however he must have been aware of his own worth during his lifetime.

Btw, the meaning of existence is surely to leave a message, an own message in history. This is the most beautiful way of life when so many covet but few will be chosen.

• Now, about Galileo you mentioned, he became recognized only when died however he must have been aware of his own worth during his lifetime.

Oh, he sure was aware of his own worth! He was a world-class jerk. A disagreeable, egomaniacal hypocrite. He treated Kepler like dirt. He wrote letters to Kepler and others saying "we should honor science and truth" and honor Copernicus (who was dead by that time) while he himself publicly attacked the heliocentric model and taught the old one. He also overcharged the government for research contracts and telescopes.

He was one of these geniuses who expressed contempt for people less intelligent than himself, which was just about everyone. He also dismissed and ridiculed Catholic church astronomers who pointed out real problems with his instruments and conclusions, such as the fact that his telescopes were lousy and tended to show double images of stars and things like that, which the naked eye showed were instrument artifacts.

The stories of him being persecuted were exaggerated. Mainly, he was getting what came to him for playing politics and attacking honest critiques of his work. It was karma, as we say nowadays. There are many biographies that make him look like a saint. Try reading between the lines, or see Koestler's biography of Kepler, "The Watershed."

The good things you can say about him is . . . he was right more often than wrong, and he made gigantic contributions to the progress of science.

Isaac Newton was also a world-class jerk. And the greatest scientist who ever lived. Francis Bacon was something of a cold fish, I think, and he reportedly suffered from manic depression. Kepler was a hapless, put-upon person, exploited and pushed around by Tycho Brahe and Galileo. Among the greatest scientists, I think Charles Darwin was the nicest person. Shy and retiring. Huxley and others fought the academic battles on his behalf. Huxley was a wonderful educator, a first rate biologist, and a toxic racist even by the standards of his time. His American relatives lived in Tennessee as I recall, and they were enthusiastic Confederates.

• Yes Louis Pasteur was a good and smart researcher when he was young. But he became the great PASTEUR in his 60's.

• Puissant est le coté obscur.

• My grief carries all such acts. Martin Fleischmann's letters are on my deep study list.

Politically, he was a hard-boiled, cold-war era conservative. For obvious reasons. That was my impression when Gene Mallove and I talked to him for a few hours about politics. (I have audio recordings, so I could go back and be more specific.) He was highly in favor of institutions such as the World Bank and organized projects by governments to invest in big science and big technology. You might not think so, given how big government science agencies such as the DoE treated him. I think his model was the postwar boom in big science, which I think everyone agrees was fruitful. As Chris Tinsley said, all of modern technology was invented by 1950. Computers, transistors, jet aircraft . . . We haven't made much progress since then. Except the laser and integrated circuits circa 1958.

• I really like Kepler and his laws because I suspect that electrons in a nucleus behave in an similar way.. Both i suspect that organization of "objects" shouldn't too much linked according to their respective size.

• Melvin Miles told me: "The names of Fleischmann and Pons were never even mentioned at the recent ARPA-E LENR Workshop." That is disgraceful.

I suppose this was to avoid the stigma of cold fusion. If that was the purpose, I am sure it failed. The skeptics will see this conference was about cold fusion.

• I am not surprised. Which critics? Can you provide a link?

I will tell the people at ARPA their strategy failed.

It looked so irrelevant I did not relay/bookmark

Re-reading it seems not serious site...

ARPA to Hold Low Energy Nuclear Workshop
    Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E): Low-Energy Nuclear Reactions Workshop October 21-22, 2021 The objective of this workshop is to explore…
    climatecrocks.com

not so massive if only on BS site...

earlier, I've noticed Nasawatch worried by NASA efforts.. more serious menace

“Only puny secrets need keeping. The biggest secrets are kept by public incredulity.” (Marshall McLuhan)
    twitter @alain_co

• Thank you Curbina

So my feeling is that the Lenr game appears very trouble in USA no good or bad only trouble, strange i have to say.

Google team which started frankly then said to not have reached something very interesting.

The relation between a former Navsea patent and a Rossi's previous patent..i highlighted here.

This Nasa ( or not Nasa) work..

No special conclusions but things appear very strange in this earth side to me.

My current deep thought is that they already have the recipe and continue to work on this overly strategic program under the table, in order to stay ahead.

But who know ?

• But who know ?

We can certainly do little else than speculate about this, with the information within reach. It is anyway a long standing topic of speculation in our LENR micro cosmos. Not very fruitful, unfortunately.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Melvin Miles told me: "The names of Fleischmann and Pons were never even mentioned at the recent ARPA-E LENR Workshop." That is disgraceful.

I suppose this was to avoid the stigma of cold fusion. If that was the purpose, I am sure it failed. The skeptics will see this conference was about cold fusion.

It is shameful not only THIS ... It is shameful that these physicists stole this idea from Ivan Filimonenko and hid it from the public ...

See here -

The genius of Cold Nuclear Synthesis - Russian physicist IS Filimonenko -

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

20120628i30 Filimonenko Ivan Stepanovich -

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

48 minutes 59 seconds - Filimonenko claims that they, Fleischmann and Pons, stole his idea.

• the small russia / usa quarrels only concern their protagonists, i think so.

For information currently the most relevant works should stay at Japan side, even if some teams never were successfull to leave the P&F way.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.