Japan to Pay Companies to Keep Sensitive Patents Secret

• Hush money: Japan to pay companies to keep sensitive patents secret
    Equipment for core infrastructure also screened under economic security law
    asia.nikkei.com

TOKYO -- The Japanese government will introduce legislation to keep patents with potential military applications secret, compensating companies and applicants for forgone licensing income, Nikkei has learned.

Could also apply for future LENR based patents. Not particularly good.

• Someone rational would consider how LENR could strategically be more important as an economic booster, than as a weapon.

And also how vain it would be to hide it... not event sure a patent can protect a company work enough...

Not everybody is so rational, however (French experience).

“Only puny secrets need keeping. The biggest secrets are kept by public incredulity.” (Marshall McLuhan)
    twitter @alain_co

• FYI the US already has something similar in place:

The Invention Secrecy Act: The USPTO as a Gatekeeper of National Security
    The United States Patent and Trademark Office (“USPTO”) has the privilege of reviewing hundreds of thousands of inventions each year before the public learns…
    www.repository.law.indiana.edu

Similar laws are probably valid for other countries.

The timing of Japan is interesting. Would there be a specific urge?

• Could also apply for future LENR based patents. Not particularly good.

I think there is no chance the government apply this to LENR patents. Neither the government nor any corporation takes cold fusion seriously. They would not spend a single yen to keep it secret, or -- for that matter -- to develop it. Furthermore, you could never keep cold fusion intellectual property secret. It would be too important, and too valuable for that. As soon as a device is sold it would be reverse engineered.

• Could also apply for future LENR based patents.

I'm often clueless and opinionated... Sometimes not.

I disagree with Jed Rothwell.

To keep a cold fusion patent (or advanced research and applied engineering) hidden for national security (military) reasons has happened on numerous well documented occasions: Belgium, United States, United Kingdom

Also

The same hold true for nuclear energy and applied engineering. Try finding the patents for a naval nuclear reactor.

When military technology enters the public sphere (released) a decision is made for disclosure often made because the military is further advanced in the tech's expertise and application than anyone else.

One example of an LENR patent's delayed publication, likely for national security.

Filed 2007

Publication 2013

A delay can occur between the patent filing date and publication date if the patent is deemed a matter of national security.

This may be the case with the 2007 SPAWAR patent, System and Method for Generating Particles - US8419919B1, with a filing date of Sep. 21, 2007 and publication date of Apr. 16, 2013, a delay of six years.

Usually a patent gets published (becomes exposed) within one year of the filing date, rarely longer.

For a delay of six years there seems no other plausible explanation than by the U.S. Department of Defense for National Security considerations.

• Japan is moving further to the right politically, under the slogan 'Strong Japan'. Externally they feel threatened by N.Korea and China. The military are getting bigger budgets. I think those are the key factors.

That may be the obvious reason indeed.

But to introduce some (science) fiction:
    We know that the NEDO program at several Japanese universities has made relevant progress in producing excess energy in their LENR program. So far they stated that they do not know the real cause and physics of these results.

But suppose in the past year they made huge progress in understanding the real mechanism (and physics).

Keeping these understandings secret could be an important (national) strategy.

• But suppose in the past year they made huge progress in understanding the real mechanism (and physics).

Keeping these understandings secret could be an important (national) strategy.

You are quite right. And not so long ago funding for the Tohaku programme (and they do get some) was switched over from central government funding to funding by the Atomic Energy Authority. The big change here is that everything is automatically secret unless they say it is not.

• Atomic Energy Authority

Japan Atomic Energy Agency(authority) is one thing.

Wikipedia

The Japan Atomic Energy Agency (日本原子力研究開発機構, Nihon genshiryoku kenkyū kaihatsu kikō, JAEA) is an Independent Administrative Institution formed on October 1, 2005 by a merger of two previous semi-governmental organizations. While it inherited the activities of both PNC and JAERI, it also inherited the nickname of JAERI, "Genken" 原研, an abbreviated word for "nuclear research".

I'm not sure what part the U.S. plays. Oversite on the Commission is historic. Perhaps ongoing.

Wikipedia

The Atomic Energy Commission of Japan (原子力委員会, Genshiryokuiinkai)was established in 1956 and serves as the regulatory body for nuclear power in Japan. The Atomic Energy Basic Law contained a provision for its creation, and shortly after the law was enacted, the organization started activities, which are stated to be: assure that research and use of nuclear power is conducted safely and with peaceful intentions, and construct plans for the use and development of nuclear power. It is now structured with 5 different committee members as commission of inquiry to the Cabinet Office.

• To keep a cold fusion patent (or advanced research and applied engineering) hidden for national security (military) reasons has happened on numerous well documented occasions: Belgium, United States, United Kingdom

I doubt it. I do not even know of any patents that might lead to practical devices.

Also

The same hold true for nuclear energy and applied engineering. Try finding the patents for a naval nuclear reactor.

Naval nuclear reactors are far more complicated than any cold fusion device. Cold fusion devices will be sold. Anything sold can be reverse engineered. Even if the U.S. military managed to stop the sale of cold fusion devices in the U.S., other countries will make and sell them. Keeping them secret would be impossible.

This may be the case with the 2007 SPAWAR patent, System and Method for Generating Particles - US8419919B1, with a filing date of Sep. 21, 2007 and publication date of Apr. 16, 2013, a delay of six years.

That's a patent by a government agency. I doubt any U.S. company would allow such interference, and even if Uncle Sam compelled it, the data from SPARWAR is all over the internet and it could be replicated in other countries. Also, those results have no practical or technological value at all, as far as anyone knows.

• The new blanket of secrecy observed in Japan indicates that they are very close to inventing a practical LENR-based reactor system. Whether it is a combo using neutrons fired off by a fission-based source of neutrons would be conceivable but not relevant to their patent applications. I think they are ahead in the LENR game - on a par with the US and UK so are keeping their newest discoveries as we say - close to their chests. Sensible but inscrutible as are the Chinese. :)

• I think there is no chance the government apply this to LENR patents. Neither the government nor any corporation takes cold fusion seriously. They would not spend a single yen to keep it secret, or -- for that matter -- to develop it. Furthermore, you could never keep cold fusion intellectual property secret. It would be too important, and too valuable for that.

I disagree

I gloat

Sorry but true...

• The new blanket of secrecy observed in Japan indicates that they are very close to inventing a practical LENR-based reactor system.

It does not seem any more secret than it ever was. Takahashi has never been forthcoming about the details of his work. Also, I doubt anyone is close to inventing a practical cold fusion reactor.

• It does not seem any more secret than it ever was. Takahashi has never been forthcoming about the details of his work. Also, I doubt anyone is close to inventing a practical cold fusion reactor.

yes, there is no cold nuclear fusion, because no one studies the planet Earth. There is a lot of cold nuclear fusion in the earth's crust and all the minerals were formed because of these reactions. We need to study the planet Earth and then we will get an example of new energy. Imagine if the core consists of plasma and ball lightning, which give a static voltage due to the rotation of the geospheres. This needs to be checked and everything with cold nuclear fusion will fall into place. So now there is no cold fusion yet, it's time for everyone to switch to the planet itself, see the pictures!

• Mitsubishi Heavy Industries?

As far as I know, they are no longer doing any research. When Iwamura retired, he told me the company gave him all of the equipment he had used. That was generous of them. The equipment was set up at Tohoku U. As far as I know, there are no instruments back at his old lab for other people to use. Of course they could always make a new set of instruments, but I don't think they did.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.