ICCF-24 updates and other Anthropocene/ARPA-E news

• Then he should have said something about it in his welcoming message. I am a little uneasy. We have had keynote speakers at ICCF conferences who knew nothing about cold fusion.

(By the way, the name is Nobuo. Nobuko is a female name.)

A good portion of Page's presentation to the NEI was about the promise of LENR. IMO, if they had the courtesy of listening to what we have to say, then we should return the goodwill gesture.

And Carl has always made it known that his Plan B was nuclear. So looking at it another way, If you make Plan A work SOON, no need for Plan B. So really, making LENR happen will kill two birds with one stone; save the planet, and save us from nuclear power plants.

• A good portion of Page's presentation to the NEI was about the promise of LENR.

Yes. He clearly knows a lot about cold fusion. I am a little concerned that Tanaka does not, and that he will talk about other things during his keynote presentation. Previous big-wig ICCF keynote speakers have done this. It is a waste of everyone's time. We don't need to be told the recent history of energy. It has little relevance to cold fusion. Cold fusion will not follow the patterns set by other sources of energy. Not in distribution, or the difficulties or adaption, methods of fueling, or anything else. It will be more like the spread of personal computers than, say, electrification, or building millions of oil wells, pipelines and gas stations.

And Carl has always made it known that his Plan B was nuclear.

Yup. I think he ignores the economics, which I think are fatal. Nukes cannot compete with wind, solar or natural gas.

There is some talk of restarting idled nukes in Japan to deal with the shortages caused by the Ukraine war. They might do that, but in the longer term there is no way the Japanese public will allow nukes. They will never build another. The power industry would never do it. Fukushima bankrupted TEPCO, the largest power company on earth. You would have to be crazy to run that kind of financial risk. Even if there were no physical risk -- which there is! Long-lived radioactive waste is distributed over a huge area in Japan. It will not go away for centuries.

I do not think uranium fission reactors will ever again be built in the U.S., Europe or Japan. They might be in China or India. Maybe thorium has a chance? In the Sahara areas of northern Africa, solar is the only source of power that makes any sense. In countries around the North Sea and in the center of North America, wind is the only source that makes any economic sense. Both could produce far more energy than the entire human race consumes. With some sort of storage, hydrogen, or synthetic fuel, they would be far cheaper, safer and more reliable than nukes.

You can seldom bring an obsolete technology back to life. Competitive technology continues to improve while nukes linger, so they are left farther and farther behind.

• Monday mornings will never be the same... Perhaps.

LENR DISCOVERY

To provide education & inspiration surrounding energy generation technology, based on the emerging principles of unconventional fusion.

So ICCF-24 is really heating up.

Decided to study Wikipedia

Tobuo Tanaka

He was born on 3 March 1950 in Japan. He graduated from the University of Tokyo in the field of economics in 1972, and has an MBA from Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio (1979).[1][2] In 1973 he began his career with the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan (METI). In 1989 he joined the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) as the Deputy-Director for Science, Technology and Industry, and served in 1991–1995 as the Director for Science, Technology and Industry.[1][2]

In 1995 he returned to METI where he served as Director for Industrial Finance Division and as Director for Policy Planning and Coordination Division. In 1998–2000 he was posted at the Embassy of Japan in Washington, D.C., as Minister for Energy, Trade and Industry. After returning to Japan in 2000 he took a post of the Executive Vice President for the Research Institute of Economy Trade and Industry, and in 2002–2004 the post of the Director-General for the Multilateral Trade System Department of METI.[1][2]

From 16 August 2004 to 31 August 2007 Nobuo Tanaka was the Director for Science, Technology and Industry at the OECD, and head of the internal OECD Steering Group for the Centre for Entrepreneurship.[1][2]

On 1 September 2007 he succeeded Claude Mandil as the Executive Director of the IEA.[1]

On 1 September 2011, he was succeeded in this role by the Former Minister of Economic Affairs of the Netherlands, Maria van der Hoeven.[3][4][5]

• Since September 2011 he is Global Associate for Energy Security and Sustainability at the Institute for Energy Economics, Japan ("Eneken") in Tokyo.[6]
    • He is also a Professor at the Graduate School of Public Policy, University of Tokyo.[7]
    • He is also a fellow at the Center on Global Energy Policy[8] at Columbia University in New York where he has given lectures on subjects like Post Fukushima energy policy,[9] the Shale revolution and energy security,[10] China energy and sustainability,[11] and the Integral Fast Reactor[12] during frequent weekly visits to the Columbia Morningside campus each academic semester.[13]

He is a vocal advocate for advanced nuclear energy for Japan and international cooperation between Japan and the Republic of Korea to build the first commercial Integral Fast Reactor in the world.

On May 28, 2014 he hosted the Global Leader Program for Social Design and Management (GSDM) 15th Platform Seminar, The 79th Public Policy Seminar at the University of Tokyo (title: "Peaceful and Safer Use of Nuclear Power: Role of Integral Fast Reactor").[14] His research paper on the role of the Integral Fast Reactor was published in January 2017.[15]

ALSO

Source

rieti.go.jp was first indexed by Google more than 10 years ago

https://www.rieti.go.jp/jp/special/p_a_w/data/cv_tanaka.pdf

GBGOBLENOTE

GEC is marketing a CMNS energy technology

hybrid fission fusion reactor. Sort of a nano integral fast reactor...

LENR is not cold, it is nano hot... in my layman's opinion.

• They revised the procedures today. They said:

If you create a Hopin account, with the email you used to register for the conference, you can log in and stay logged in (they offer some SSO options, such as logging in with your google account).

Then you can go to: https://app.hopin.com/events/i…e-energy-summit/reception and land on the Reception page directly, without the runaround.

We have consolidated the point of entry by creating a Virtual Green Room where all virtual speakers should go: https://studio.streamyard.com/ezguivqiv3

We are planning to send calendar invites to all virtual speakers, including the Virtual Green Room link. Each speaker’s calendar invite will be for 20 - 30 minutes prior to their scheduled presentation time.

There in the virtual green room, a host/technician will be able to check the speaker’s video and audio; the speaker will be able to do a final practice of uploading their slides or sharing their screen containing their slides.

At 5 minutes before the speaker’s presentation, the host will prompt the speaker to go to the backstage broadcast studio for their actual presentation stage:

- Hahn auditorium: https://studio.streamyard.com/dfnu5j7hia

- Lovelace room: https://studio.streamyard.com/rhkfb4yqpc

• I certainly expect the Director of the IEA to be informed of ICCF-24. Who will invite him or provide him with a comprehensive report? I hope Nobuo Tanaka will do so. Also same same for Maria van der Hoeven.

The ICCF-24 home page states,

Nobuo Tanaka Executive Director, The International Energy Agency (IEA)

Minor, but important, correction. He is the former Executive Director of the IEA.

He was followed by...

IEA Leadership

Today

The IEA Secretariat is headed by Executive Director Dr Fatih Birol

Last updated: Mar 2022

Dr Fatih Birol (@fbirol) has served as Executive Director of the International Energy Agency since 2015. Under his leadership, the IEA has moved to the forefront of global efforts to reach international climate goals while ensuring that the social and economic impacts of clean energy transitions are at the heart of policy-making and energy security is safeguarded.

After taking office, Dr Birol led the IEA in its first comprehensive modernisation programme since its creation in 1974. These efforts focused on “opening the doors” of the IEA to major emerging economies including Brazil, China, India and South Africa; making the IEA the global hub for clean energy transitions; and broadening the IEA’s energy security focus beyond oil to also cover electricity, natural gas, renewables and the critical minerals needed in many of today's clean energy technologies. With new governments joining the IEA, under his tenure the Agency’s share of global energy demand has risen from 40% to 75%.

Dr Birol took up his current position after rising through the ranks of the IEA over two decades. He joined as a junior analyst in the mid-1990s and rose to the position of Chief Economist responsible for the IEA’s flagship World Energy Outlook. Dr Birol has been named in the TIME100, TIME's annual list of the world's most influential people. He has also been named by Forbes as one of the most influential people in the world of energy and by the Financial Times as the Energy Personality of the Year. He chairs the World Economic Forum’s (Davos) Energy Advisory Board. He is the recipient of numerous state decorations, including the French Legion of Honour, the Japanese Emperor’s Order of the Rising Sun, the Order of the Polar Star from the King of Sweden and the highest Presidential decorations from Austria, Germany and Italy.

Before the IEA, Dr Birol worked at the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) in Vienna for six years. He earned a BSc degree in power engineering from the Technical University of Istanbul and received an MSc and PhD in energy economics from the Technical University of Vienna. Dr Birol was awarded a Doctorate of Science honoris causa from Imperial College London in 2013. He is an honorary life member of Galatasaray Football Club

• Old news

Relevant regarding Nobuo Tanaka's standing with the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry and New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO).

Big news Japan 2019

Source

Asia Times, formerly known as Asia Times Online, is a Hong Kong-based English language news media publishing group, covering politics, economics, business and culture from an Asian perspective. Asia Times publishes in English and simplified Chinese.

Cold fusion 2: Japan wins with systematic method

Cold fusion 2: Japan wins with systematic method

BY JONATHAN TENNENBAUM

NOVEMBER 16, 2019

This is the second of a three-part series. Click here to read part one, which relates how early experimentation in cold fusion was largely abandoned due to disappointing results when researchers attempted to replicate findings – but the second wave of research is now showing promising results.

In my view Japan – without question the world leader today when it comes to experimental research in this field – has produced the most compelling demonstrations of the existence and reproducibility of cold fusion.

Japan owes its leading position in large measure to consistent institutional and industrial support and a systematic, step-by-step approach emphasizing the development of advanced materials for cold fusion devices. Cold fusion research lies at the intersection of nuclear physics and materials science, and Japan’s successes in cold fusion would be impossible without a strong industrial base in the fields of nanomaterials and nanotechnology.

The Japanese effort has also profited from the leadership provided by Akito Takahashi of Osaka University, known for his work on hot fusion and other areas of nuclear science, who has been actively involved in cold fusion since its earliest days.

A watershed was reached two years ago with the completion of a multi-institutional project sponsored by the New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO), one of the largest public funding agencies in Japan, working under the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

• ICCF-24 CMNS Energy Technologies

Consider how even the word novation has become obsolete.

Novation and the Laws of Physics

novation

/ (nəʊˈveɪʃən) /

noun

(legal terminology)

1) The substitution of a new obligation for an old one by mutual agreement between the parties, esp of one debtor or creditor for another

2) An obsolete word for innovation

WORD ORIGIN FOR NOVATION

C16: from Late Latin novātio a renewing, from Latin novāre to renew.

• Planning a visit to the conference venue tomorrow afternoon with Ed Storms, Frank Gordon and a few others. We want to register of course, but also to check out the space for the LEC demo. Might also get an early peek at the Brillouin demo if it's already set up.

• Planning a visit to the conference venue tomorrow afternoon with Ed Storms, Frank Gordon and a few others. We want to register of course, but also to check out the space for the LEC demo. Might also get an early peek at the Brillouin demo if it's already set up.

You wouldn't mind if I came with you guys to check it out. I would like to see how everything is getting setup

• Here are all 6 of the short course videos:

ICCF-24 x Solid-State Energy Summit
    At the ICCF24 Solid-State Energy Summit, hosted and organized by the Anthropocene Institute, industry leaders will take a critical look at the field of…
    www.youtube.com

Note that all of these have subtitles/closed captions when you click on "CC." These are not generated by AI. They were typed by Ruby and me, so they are more accurate than AI subtitles.

I take that back. I see from my notes that some of them were generated by an AI service that Ruby used. That was a little unfortunate. I wish she had sent them to me for corrections. For example, when Ed Storms said "Geiger counter" the AI thought it was "gutter counter."

• I wish she had sent them to me for corrections. For example, when Ed Storms said "Geiger counter" the AI thought it was "gutter counter."

Here are all 6 of the short course videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY5ZAbIS5LNSlAM001veh9w

Note that all of these have subtitles/closed captions when you click on "CC." These are not generated by AI. They were typed by Ruby and me, so they are more accurate than AI subtitles.

Oops, I did type them out AFTER the ai had its chance. We just got Larry's delivered and that should be posted soon.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.