Conventional Nuclear (AKA Nuclear Fission) a thread for discussion of the pros / cons.

• This is the official, very detailed Swiss calculation from 1970. At that time it was 4.6 years with water cooling and no de-construction.

It seems extremely unlikely to me that the energy needed to build a nuclear reactor is equivalent to the energy needed to run a large city for 5 years. I think you need to check those numbers, and do a "reality check." Ask yourself if the construction of something like this takes as much energy as 760,000 houses use for 5 years.

• Jed you mix up ROI and return on energy invested. You cannot mix apple and potato....

I am not mixing them up. The energy invested is returned in about 3 months. The financial ROI (money invested) will be returned on a schedule selected by the Public Service Commission, which sets electric power rates. If they raise rates a lot, it will pay back quickly. If they raise them only a little, it will take a long time. The decision is political.

They have already raised the rates to pay for the reactor, years ago. They will have to raise them more to cover the gigantic cost overruns in the last several years.

It would be possible for the Commission to deny the power company request to raise the rates. It could tell the power company to pay for the $33 billion itself. But that would bankrupt the power company and disrupt people's electricity. That would never be acceptable to the public. So, the public (electric power customers) will have to pay the $33 billion sooner or later.

• It would be possible for the Commission to deny the power company request to raise the rates. It could tell the power company to pay for the $33 billion itself. But that would bankrupt the power company and disrupt people's electricity. That would never be acceptable to the public. So, the public (electric power customers) will have to pay the $33 billion sooner or later.

This is wrong thinking. By not starting the waste nuke, you can save billions for decommission. (Like Austria once did)

It's much better to sent them down the sink and then an other company can buy the real assets.

Let's the investors bleed! (Same will be seen in UK!)

• This is wrong thinking. By not starting the waste nuke, you can save billions for decommission. (Like Austria once did)

Decommissioning is paid for with a surcharge on the electric power. The more power a plant produces over its lifetime, the more money is available to decommission. Decommissioning costs in the U.S. are $544 to $821 million according to one source, and $300 to $400 million according to the NRC. Unlike construction costs they are predictable and have not had cost overruns. There has been no problem paying for decommissioning so far.

Nuclear Decommissioning: Decommission nuclear facilities - World Nuclear Association

https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/decommissioning.html

Let's the investors bleed! (Same will be seen in UK!)

The problem is, the customers will be without power.

• The investors will loose all money. All the equipment will go into a new company that does continue to produce and supply power.

It would not work that way in Georgia. The power companies are a legal monopoly. There is no competition and no mechanism for them to go bankrupt. In Texas and other places, there is now competition in electric power. The customer can pick one power company or another. They work this by making the distribution network and power generation separately owned. You can pick a power company, but you are stuck with the Transmission and Distribution Utility (TDU) that serves your house. Obviously, they cannot install multiple different power lines.

Texas Electric Utility Providers
    quickelectricity.com

In Atlanta, telephone and internet companies such as Google are now installing multiple duplicated distribution networks, often on the same telephone polls. It is somewhat chaotic and inefficient. The telephone polls are crammed with equipment. One of the Google distribution hubs is close to my house. The cables coming out of it are underground. They must come up somewhere, but I do not know where. It took them months to bury the cables.

• telephone and internet companies such as Google are now installing multiple duplicated distribution networks,

Seems that some eastern countries like Poland/Ukraine are at least 10 years ahead of USA or Germany. Also Switzerland has at least 4 different fiber cable providers you can choose from. Sometimes they share the bundle sometimes just the ground tube.

Most place here can get 1 GB/s whereas in Germany you still are back in stone age...

But in Germany you can choose the electricity provider but obviously not the net.

So it makes always economically sense to form a single state run company for the basic network. The other way round only works if you can over charge the service like in Switzerland. In Germany you simply will never get a high speed service as it does not pay out.

• This is the Google fiber optic cable hub. It does not look like much. It is a small building. Somehow they got permission to put it in a public park.

Measuring on the Google map, I determined that building with the fence is around 45 feet by 45 feet.

• Spotted by Carl Page.

Micro-scale fusion in dense relativistic nanowire array plasmas

Alden Curtis, Chase Calvi, James Tinsley, Reed Hollinger, Vural Kaymak, Alexander Pukhov, Shoujun Wang, Alex Rockwood, Yong Wang, Vyacheslav N. Shlyaptsev & Jorge J. Rocca

Nature Communications volume 9, Article number: 1077 (2018) Cite this article

Abstract

Nuclear fusion is regularly created in spherical plasma compressions driven by multi-kilojoule pulses from the world’s largest lasers. Here we demonstrate a dense fusion environment created by irradiating arrays of deuterated nanostructures with joule-level pulses from a compact ultrafast laser. The irradiation of ordered deuterated polyethylene nanowires arrays with femtosecond pulses of relativistic intensity creates ultra-high energy density plasmas in which deuterons (D) are accelerated up to MeV energies, efficiently driving D–D fusion reactions and ultrafast neutron bursts. We measure up to 2 × 106 fusion neutrons per joule, an increase of about 500 times with respect to flat solid targets, a record yield for joule-level lasers. Moreover, in accordance with simulation predictions, we observe a rapid increase in neutron yield with laser pulse energy. The results will impact nuclear science and high energy density research and can lead to bright ultrafast quasi-monoenergetic neutron point sources for imaging and materials studies.

Micro-scale fusion in dense relativistic nanowire array plasmas - Nature Communications
    Neutron beams are useful studying fundamental physics problems, fusion process and material properties. Here the authors use intense laser irradiation of…
    www.nature.com

• Is Nuclear Power Green? - YouTube

I think there some technical errors in this presentation. Mainly these two:

Wind power does not take up a lot of space. That is, area on the ground. The cross section of a wind turbine tower is small, and the land around it can be used for crops or grazing animals. The diameter the tower base is 4.2 to 6.2 meters, or 20 m^2. It produces ~1 MW. Natural gas plants are 20 to 40 acres in size. One estimate is that the land area is 0.343 acres per megawatt. (https://docs.wind-watch.org/US-footprints-Strata-2017.pdf) That's 1,388 m^2, about 70 times more space than a wind turbine. Natural gas plants also require pipelines, which take up some land space, and preclude the use of land for some other purposes. Wind farms as a whole take up a lot of space but most of it is in the air, where the turbine blades move. Wind turbines at sea take up no land space.

Nuclear power is not "on demand." It can only be used for baseline power generation, which is to say power generated 24 hours a day at 100% capacity. It cannot be turned off for two reasons:

1. It takes days to shut down and cool the reactors. They can be cut off in an emergency SCRAM but that does not actually save energy.

2. Nuclear power plants are very expensive per unit of generating capacity. The fuel cost is low but the reactor is expensive. They have to be run all the time to be economical. When the plant is turned off for refueling or maintenance, the power company has to pay interest on a large capital investment with no return on investment, so they turn it on at full power and leave it on as much as possible.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

What you are seeing in this video is a small stirling engine that is running off of the heat being generated within Brillouin Energy’s Hydrogen Hot Tube (HHT). All of the ancillary tubing and wires around the spinning engine in the center of the video is just for energy test

• JedRothwell

Size is in the eye of the observer. There is a wind farm north of Lansing Michigan. It is quite extensive, and has windmills on both sides of the highway. Size with them is also a psychological thing. I should also mention that I once encountered a posting on the internet complaining about conditions being dryer downstream from a wind farm after it was constructed . I believe that was in India. Anyone that thinks you can take energy out of the air stream without consequence is fooling themselves.

I would like to suggest you goggle 'Mihm Power Plant'. You might learn something about modern natural gas power plants. The plant is located 400 miles north of Chicago and around twenty miles south of where I live. It took a year to build. It also took a year get the transformer from Norway. Norway? Can you say EMP?

• Hopefully in the future these expensive gas-powered stations can be converted to LENR - generated power. Presumably, once such a LENR is turned on it will be much easier to control by monitoring and controlling Ein, the energy output given by E = mc^n. Or will it be uncontrollable, once started like a fission reactor? The science is all done, this is now an engineering problem.

• Alan Smith

Changed the title of the thread from “Conventional Nuclear (AKA Nuclear Fission) a thread for discussion of thr pros / cons.” to “Conventional Nuclear (AKA Nuclear Fission) a thread for discussion of the pros / cons.”.
  • Anyone that thinks you can take energy out of the air stream without consequence is fooling themselves.

A wind farm removes a tiny fraction of energy from the air stream. The worldwide energy of wind equals the energy of solar power. (They are one and the same.) The sun delivers 173,000 terawatts. That is roughly 10,000 times more than all human energy use. Wind power is only a small fraction of that, so it is roughly a million times less than wind power. Looking at the wind locally, most of the moving air is high in the atmosphere. The tallest towers reach 280 m. The wind is from the ground up to ~15 km, with highest, most energetic winds in the jet stream (8 to 15 km). A wind farm taps into and slows down only a tiny fraction of the total. A few miles beyond the farm, the effects cannot be detected. It is not like a dam on a river that intercepts all of the moving fluid.

Natural features such as forests, grassy plains and waves intercept much more wind than wind turbines do. Orders of magnitude move. All those waving branches in a forest on a windy day, or whitecaps on the ocean, have far more power than all human generation combined.

Note that friction in the air and the natural features such as forests and waves stop all of the wind. Every moving particle of air soon stops. If the sun went out, wind would stop within hours, as soon as things cool down. So, the earth itself already stops all 173,000 TW of wind power very quickly, converting it to waste heat. Wind turbines stop a tiny fraction of that before air friction or trees get around to stopping it, but it all comes to a halt. So the consequences of taking energy out of air stream are the same as they ever were. That is not the situation with removing energy from a river. Because you intercept the entire body of water in a river, it has a larger effect on the surroundings and ecosystem. I suppose if you could stop all of the air from the ground up 15 km, for distance several kilometers across, that might have a dramatic effect on the surroundings. A large city with buildings will intercept a lot of wind and change the surrounding weather, similar to the way a small mountain range does. The building in a large city intercept far more wind than all wind farms combined. Tall buildings and bridges have to be very strong or they will be blown over.

• Hopefully in the future these expensive gas-powered stations can be converted to LENR - generated power.

Do you mean natural gas powered electric generators? Not a chance. The technology is completely different. There is no way you could retrofit a combined cycle gas generator with cold fusion. It might be possible to retrofit a coal fired plant, but that would be more trouble and expense than just scrapping the whole plant. More to the point, it will never make economic sense to generate electricity with large cold fusion generators and then distribute it. That would cost far more than generating where it is needed, in houses or large buildings, with co-generators ranging from 10 to 100 kW. Or eventually, generating it inside the device you want to power. Large scale generators and distribution with cold fusion would cost 200 times more than small ones from the get-go, and later thousands of times more. See:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJcoldfusionb.pdf

• It can only be used for baseline power generation, which is to say power generated 24 hours a day at 100% capacity. It cannot be turned off for two reasons:

I don't mean it is physically impossible to turn off a nuke. They are often run at low power during start-up or after maintenance. I mean it is not economical to run one at low power, or to ramp the power up and down in response to demand. As I said, the reactor is expensive but the fuel is cheap, so it is best to run the plant at full capacity for as long as you can, before stopping to refuel and do maintenance. It is more economical to produce power on demand from a low-cost generator such as gas turbine, even though natural gas costs more than uranium (per unit of energy). Small, megawatt scale Diesel generators have the lowest cost per unit of generator capacity, and the highest cost of fuel. So they are used for short periods during peak demand. They can be turned on quickly, run for a while, and turned off. It would be crazy to run one continuously but it makes good sense to run one a few hours a day. You see them in small buildings in the middle of nowhere in rural Virginia.

• JedRothwell

If you dig deep you will probably find that the wind power regime is much more fragile than you think. You have probably driven up a high hill or a mountain and had to swallow a few times to equalize pressure in your ear drums. Well, that small pressure difference is what drives the winds, not the 15 lbs per square inch we are used to think of.

You may also have noticed that in a high chimney air tends to flow upward. Some people have suggested drawing air from 2000 feet above ground level to drive windmills at ground level. It won't work, because that air is at a sufficiently lower pressure to require too much work to get it down. If anything the lower pressure of the upper air will act to draw the now increased exhaust pressure of a windmill upwards causing the type of problem I mentioned. Bottom line. That upper air is out of reach for us and of no use in generating power.

I don't know where you live, but where I live we typically get 200 inches of snow. So the snow depth in the woods could be 3 feet. At the boundary between the snow and the air a shallow depression will often form around a tree. When I ask people what causes it they invariably answer, "The sun". Well, at 47 degrees north latitude the sun doesn't shine on the north side of the tree in the winter. The tree doesn't stop the air. The air flows around the tree and is sped up. That faster moving air then scours out the depression. The trees could also deflect air upward giving the illusion of stopping the air.

• The tree doesn't stop the air. The air flows around the tree and is sped up. That faster moving air then scours out the depression. The trees could also deflect air upward giving the illusion of stopping the air.

I have noticed the same phenomenon on a sandy beach - depressions around signpost poles and so on. But bigger obstacles raised above ground level show a different effect. A beach cafe built on stilts I have visited since childhood used to have 13 steps up to the door, last time I was there it only had 3. Obviously this building slows down the wind and airborne sand drops out.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.