Post ICCF24 thread.

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yes- the LEC live demos were pretty much continuous throughout the conference, any time that Frank and Co or me could spare the time. There's been a lot of interest from quite a few researchers.

ETA- Frank brought two tiny cells with electrodes made from co-dep Pd on metal mesh. With a range of counter-electrodes- steel, zinc etc. We just showed people how to hook them up and let them play.

• Leaf Turner Solid State Fusion and Robert Bass 1989 and 2010.

Relevant to improving the field today. This has been posted on the Useful Papers Thread.

QUOTES

From Dr Robert W. Bass - American Chemical Society, 2010

...in September 1989

Los Alamos National Lab (LANL) Hot Fusion researcher Leaf Turner

had sent a letter to Physics Today proposing that the accepted QM phenomenon of Resonant Tunneling could demonstrate that in a periodic lattice of deuterons (embedded in a host metal lattice, which is a scaffolding that is of secondary importance to the Deuteron Lattice) external stimuli could force deuterons into sufficiently close proximity that the strong nuclear force would dominate the reaction.

ALSO

In June, 1991, Dr. Robert W. Bass, who had sat next to Dr. Turner for 2 weeks once when visiting LANL in the 1970s, followed his former colleague’s suggestion re Resonant Tunneling and presented an improvement in Schwinger’s NEAL theory which confirmed Schwinger’s 1990 claim that “a single parameter combines, albeit crudely, the effects of all the forces at work within the lattice,” and proved that a Host Lattice & Embedded Particle combination are compatible with Cold Fusion if & only if the Schwinger Ratio is closer to an ODD than an even integer.

The only conventionally viable Cold Nuclear Fusion theory?

http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/BassRWtheonlycon.pdf

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat

NOTE for further reading.

The late physics Nobel Laureate Julian Schwinger in his NEAL theory (Nuclear Energy in an Atomic. Lattice), presented at ICCF1 in March 1990,...

• Consider

CMNS technology development is best served with a well funded and equipped multi disciplinary research team. The CMNS industry is best served by sharing all Intellectual Property that advances the industry and all other capable teams who are, collectively, creating a new industry.

How can we best serve investors?

Make sure the CMNS energy industry has only one problem

Companies cannot keep up with demand for CMNS energy technology products.

No matter how many companies are in competition with each other, hoping to protect their investment and investors, they just can't keep up with demand.

As innovators we need to Rethink things in order to make them work.

How can innovators make sure all CMNS energy technology companies have an overwhelming demand for their products?

An X Prize to increase energy use 600 fold might be the best ways to get competitors to share IP and assure investors simultaneously. By sharing Intellectual property secrets all emerging products will be improved.

As innovators we can do this.

Expand into every energy market rapidly.

Create new energy markets immediately.

End energy poverty, worldwide, as a priority.

Manage all waste streams and decrease pollution.

Increase environmental remediation and ecological restoration.

Expand permanent human habitation to Mars, the Asteroids and beyond.

Increase worldwide energy demand by 600 fold in fifty years.

Worldwide fortune and growth of assets.

• Judging by the audience response, and the Q&A, I would say Erik Ziehm knocked it out of the ballpark with his "Detection of Alpha Particles using CR-39 During Glow Discharge with Pd Electrodes".

He is a "LENR" Post-Doc of all things, trained under Dr. Miley at the University of illinois (UC). At the end he said how, when he first told his advisors he would train in LENR, they tried to discourage him. After he completed his LENR PhD thesis, one of those advisors came to him and said after reading his work, he now believed in LENR

This is his MS thesis...

Source

The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is a public land-grant research university in Illinois in the twin cities of Champaign and Urbana. It is the flagship institution of the University of Illinois system and was founded in 1867.

Ion-cathode bombardment for the creation of tightly bound deuterium clusters in palladium | IDEALS

"Ion-cathode Bombardment for the Creation of Tightly Bound Deuterium Clusters in Palladium"

IDEALS

Author(s) - Ziehm, Erik Paul

Director of Research (if dissertation) or Advisor (if thesis) - Miley, George H.

Committee Member(s) - Allain, Jean P.

Department/Program - Nuclear, Plasma, & Rad Engr

Discipline - Nuclear, Plasma, Radiolgc Engr

Degree Granting Institution - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Degree - M.S.

Dissertation or Thesis - Thesis

Palladium-hydride Plasma-material interactions COMSOL Electron Energy Distribution Function (EEDF) Hydrogen-defect interactions

Abstract

A complementary approach of experimental and computational methods was used in pursuit of determining optimal ion bombardment parameters for the creation of deuterium clusters with high binding energies. The incident ions create damage cascades leading to the production of defects such as vacancies, dislocations, and voids. These defects are known to trap interstitial deuterium with binding energies dependent on the trap’s geometry and volume. To simultaneously obtain high concentrations of defects and hydrogen, a simple DC glow discharge method was employed. Deuterium ions bombarded a palladium cathode at varying fluences (1 x 〖10〗^18 ions/cm^3,1 x〖 10〗^19 ions/cm^3,and 1 x 〖10〗^20 ions/cm^3) and incident energies dependent on cathode bias (-0.75 kV,-0.875 kV,and -1.0 kV). Langmuir probe measurements of the Electron Energy Distribution Function (EEDF) validated a COMSOL simulation’s accuracy which confirmed the proper methodology for reproducing discharge dynamics. The simulation was a sequential coupling between COMSOL's Plasma module and Boltzmann Equation, Two-Term Approximation module allowing for more exact calculations of the Townsend coefficients. Properly accounting for the Townsend coefficients is necessary to represent the kinetics of DC discharges with low ionization fractions and species mobility highly dependent on the electric field. With these corroborating results, the model was expanded to conditions where measuring plasma properties became no longer feasible. The model produced Ion Angular Energy Distribution Functions (IAENDF) at the cathode which allowed for finding trends in Thermal Desorption Spectroscopy (TDS) curves. The desorption peaks centered around 600-800 K. There appeared to be a deuterium trapping limit dependent on defect concentration where once a distinct defect density was met any further damage was counterproductive to deuterium trapping. The condition that produced the most trapped deuterium was -0.75 kV cathode bias in 1 Torr deuterium with a fluence of 1 x 〖10〗^18 ions/cm^3. To further investigate these TDS trends some samples were observed under SEM and TEM. The results showed surface pit and blister formations which grew in concentration as the fluence increased. Beneath the surface formations, cross-section images showed large voids and holes in the material with cracks at grain boundaries. TEM images displayed the resulting damage structure which extended ~250 nm into the cathode for a sample at 1.0 Torr and -1.0 kV. A proposal is that as the damage concentration increased, these voids grew to such an extent that they formed the blisters and eventually ruptured leading to the release of the trapped deuterium.

Date Deposited * 2017- 12

Acknowledgements

To my friend and uncle, David Ziehm: I owe you my love of scientific discovery and exploration. I cherish our long-lasting phone calls, Thank You!

I am incredibly fortunate to be a part of a research group led by Dr. George Miley. His wisdom, good judgment, persistence, and support have helped shaped me into the student and person I am today. It is under his guidance that I continually experience the rewards of research, and for that I am grateful. Thanks must also go out to the other group members: Matthew Bergschneider for his help with the Thermal Desorption Spectroscopy apparatus, Jacob Mayer for materials science and imaging advice, along with Tapan Patel, Shriji Barot, Zhiheng Xu, and Erik Smith. I would also like to thank Dr. Jean Paul Allain for developing my interest in plasmamaterial interactions and the emergent phenomena therein. His insightful and encouraging comments have helped lay the foundations for future work. Thanks must also be given to Industrial Heat, LLC and New York Community Trust for their support and funding this project. Lastly, this work was carried out in part in the Frederick Seitz Materials Research Laboratory Central Research Facilities, University of Illinois. I am in debt to the staff for hours spent on training and answering any questions.

Chapter 1: Introduction

The pervasive nature of hydrogen interacting with metals has led to its study in a variety of disciplines. These range across physical chemistry, nuclear engineering, physics, and material science with a broad spectrum of topics such as fuel cells, hydrogen embrittlement, superconductivity, fusion and fission reactors, and inorganic catalysis [1]. Since the metal-hydrogen system is ubiquitous, it is only natural for it to be relevant to so many applied sciences. However, it also holds ground in a much broader sense - it

stands as an ideal prototype to investigate fundamental phenomena such as nonstoichiometric compounds (the first measurements of a nonstoichiometric system were from hydrogen-palladium), the dynamics of solid state diffusion, and the theories of dislocations and interstitials [2]. Currently, a common interest is the trapping of hydrogen to defects in metals, which is the primary concern in this thesis.

Hydrogen is the lightest, smallest, and most abundant element, coupling this to its reactivity, makes the metal-hydrogen interaction inescapable. As previously stated, its effects appear across an extensive area forming a rich gestalt of relevant topics. This distinction between application and fundamental science is arbitrary; the purpose is to display that some metal-hydrogen systems had well defined applicable objectives such as metal-hydride heat pumps while others acted as tools to study fundamental principles such as solid-statem diffusion. Even further still, some straddled the distinction presenting a useful application while simultaneously granting edification of basic research. It should be noted here that when the term hydrogen is used, it is referring to all of the hydrogen isotopes unless stated

otherwise.

- Ed addition gbgoblenote

Here is a CMNS patent that cites his thesis.

Methods of generating energy and/or he-4 using graphene based materials

EP2656350A1 - Methods of generating energy and/or he-4 using graphene based materials - Google Patents

Non Patent Citation

Ziehm 2017Ion-cathode bombardment for the creation of tightly bound deuterium clusters in palladium

• I would also like to thank Dr. Jean Paul Allain for developing my interest in plasmamaterial interactions and the emergent phenomena therein.

-gbgoblenote

Dr. Jean Paul Allain served as Committee Member on Erik's Thesis.

The esteemed Dr. Allain's biography is lengthy and worth reviewing in it's entirety. The first paragraphs read like an ideal skill set for LENR research.

I'm fascinated as I look at the breadth and depth of his work. I wonder if he oversaw a LENR project prior to this.

If this is what being a LENR Post Doc brings you, Erik certainly made the right choice. Dr. Jean Paul Allain...

Biography

Prof. Jean Paul Allain completed his Ph.D. degree from the Department of Nuclear, Plasma and Radiological Engineering at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. He received a M.S. degree in Nuclear Engineering from the same institution. Prof. Allain joined Argonne National Laboratory as a staff scientist in 2003 and joined the faculty in the School of Nuclear Engineering at Purdue University in Fall of 2007 with a courtesy appointment with the School of Materials Engineering. Prof. Allain joined the faculty at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in the Department of Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering in Fall of 2013. He is an affiliate faculty with the Department of Bioengineering, the Micro and Nanotechnology Lab, and the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology. Prof. Allain is the author of over 180 peer-reviewed and proceedings papers in both experimental and computational modeling work in the area of plasma and ion-surface interactions. Prof. Allain's research includes developing in-situ and in-operando surface structure and composition characterization of complex surfaces under low-energy irradiation designing function at the nanoscale and mesoscale. Prof. Allain has been recipient of numerous awards including the DOE Early Career Award in 2010, the Research Excellence Award in 2011, the Fulbright Scholar Award in 2015, Illinois Faculty Entrepreneurial Fellow in 2016, College of Engineering Dean's Award for Excellence in Research in 2017, and recipient of the 2018 American Nuclear Society Fusion Energy Division Technical Accomplishment Award.

Academic Positions

• Associate Head of Graduate Programs, Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, November 2017-Present
    • Professor, Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, August 2017-Present
    • Professor, Bioengineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, August 2017-Present
    • Affiliate Faculty, Beckman Institute of Advanced Science and Technology, University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign, September 2014-Present
    • Resident Faculty, Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory (MNTL), University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign, September 2013-Present
    • Associate Professor, Affiliate, Bioengineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, August 2013-2017
    • Associate Professor, Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, August 2013-2017
    • Associate Professor of Materials Engineering (courtesy appointment), Purdue University, 2011-2013
    • Assistant Professor of Materials Engineering (courtesy appointment), Purdue University, 2008-2011
    • Associate Professor of Nuclear Engineering, Purdue University, 2011-2013
    • Associate Faculty Member, Birck Nanotechnology Center, Purdue University, 2008-2013
    • Assistant Professor of Nuclear Engineering, Purdue University, 2007-2013
    • Visiting Faculty Staff, Argonne National Laboratory, 2007-2009
    • Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2001-2003

Other Professional Employment

• Staff Scientist, Argonne National Laboratory, 2003-2007

Source

Jean Paul Allain
    Jean Paul Allain
    npre.illinois.edu

Publications and Citations Analysis

Source

exaly.com was first indexed by Google more than 10 years ago

J.P. Allain

Jean Paul Allain publications and citations analysis
    Jean Paul Allain's detailed scientometric analysis of publications and citations along with the in-depth linguistic studies of the article writings and…
    exaly.com

Your connection to this site is secure

• I`m surprised Dr. Allain approved Erik's Thesis. I wonder if he is the advisor Erik referred to at ICCF-24.

Source

happyvalleyindustry.com was first indexed by Google in May 2020

Your connection to this site is secure

Nuclear power — Is it the future?

Nuclear power — Is it the future? - Happy Valley Industry 4.0

04/25/2022

By Caryn Anderson

Happy Valley’s nuclear past

Here in Happy Valley, research and development has always been integral to the growth of the nuclear industry. To get an expert’s insight on the subject, we spoke with Dr. Jean Paul Allain, the department head of Penn State's Ken and Mary Alice Lindquist Department of Nuclear Engineering, who noted that, “Happy Valley has been a hub for nuclear technology development and fundamental nuclear knowledge since the mid-1950s."

• Note on costs associated with my ICCF-24 trip.. Total raised by GoFund me and by private donations was $3100. Airfare LHR-SFO $2040, Hotel $1050, Taxis, food, LENR-Forum promotional cards, $350. Total expenditure $3440.

Thanks to all who helped.

• The special PRE- ICCF-24 (#161) edition of 'Infinite Energy' magazine is out now. And there's another conference review edition to come.

This publication need a bit of extra help lately, since the generous sponsorship of the late Charlie Entenmann us no more. Pretty good value for money - especially the online version.

Issue 162 will hopefully be released at the end of September or so... It will include coverage of ICCF24, which took place in Mountain View, California last week. See the daily conference report on our website:
    http://www.infinite-energy.com…-State-Energy-Summit.html
    Additional reporting will be on the IE site in the coming few weeks.

• Some interesting pictures...

With (LtoR) Harper Whitehouse, Frank Gordon, J-P Biberian and me, n the veranda of a lovely house overlooking silicon valley.

The Brillouin Reactor (crappy photo, I think I can find better)

And for conspiracy theorists, Tom Darden and Carl Page in conversation over lunch at the Computer Museum, ICCF-24

• Here is the first draft of my presentation at ICCF24:

Rothwell, J. How to fix global warming with cold fusion. in ICCF24 Solid-state Energy Summit. 2022. Mountain View, CA.

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJhowtofixgl.pdf

Suggestions and corrections are welcome.

This is written in the stodgy academic style. The video talk was more fun, with silly comments and a nice photo of Arthur Clarke with his pet dinosaur. Also this great quote from a magazine article by Winston Churchill:

If the hydrogen atoms in a pound of water could be prevailed upon to combine together and form helium, they would suffice to drive a thousand horsepower engine for a whole year. . . . Schemes of cosmic magnitude would become feasible. Geography and climate would obey our orders. Fifty thousand tons of water . . ., would, if exploited as described, suffice to shift Ireland to the middle of the Atlantic.

- Churchill, W., Fifty Years Hence, in Strand Magazine. 1931.

Churchill was a smart cookie. In this article he also predicted in vitro meat production (cultured meat).

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.