Post ICCF24 thread.

• Whose attitude? ...

If the Army, the Navy, DARPA, and a Google's Founder say "Lookee Here" then just who might turn their heads, ears, and hearts in LENR's direction?

Possibly people smell money. Possibly money will die off as result of this meeting of the minds. Either way, change, as always awaits us - yet will proceed with or without us.

Can man kill money? What can man fail to kill?

• Indeed, the smell of money will smother all opposition. Mind you, academics will still rail against it, and they will still say that all cold fusion researchers are frauds, lunatics and liars, but now they will say that in order to cut off those old researchers and grab the money themselves. In 1989, Tom Passell was in charge of divvying up grants from EPRI. Several prominent scientists publicly attacked cold fusion, and attacked F&P, while privately, behind the scenes, they applied for grants from Passell. That's how they roll. That is one of the many reasons I have a low opinion of academic scientists.

• This conference was extraordinary for two reasons:

It was well organized.

They got those blabbermouth scientists to give their talks in the allotted time. How?!? Perhaps they used those collars you put on dogs to give them a remote control electric shock.

• I could not see a single one of the presentations, and I thought they would be still available for after viewing on the Hopin platform, which wasn't the case. Let's hope I can get all the ones I wanted to see on the youtube channel. *sigh*

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• ICCF24 was a very good event! The organization was great in many ways. The starting was great with the tailor-made rap song by Baba Brinkman and the Hopin platform worked like a charm, allowing many peoples (more than 120 on average) to follow every day and other people to present remotely. It was even possible to watch the poster sessions and some collateral events and switching between sessions. It was fun for me to present from a (very) remote location with that a platform (looked somewhat like being on a TV show!): the only downside was the time lag: I had to present at late night, partially asleep! :D

The chat was also valuable feature and was fun. It was a pity that it wasn't used for the Q&A (people asked questions, but the were not relayed to the speakers).

A good number of presentations were very interesting and it was a pleasure to see NASA and other govt agencies involved and publicly reporting positive results. Some works were very encouraging on a practical side (the theoretical works were a mess as usual, but I know, it's a limitation of mine to be scared by slides full of equations...) The "old guard" was quite open and collaborative and there was also some very skilled young guy presenting. Yes, also in my opinion it was a turning point (maybe not 90 or 180 degree, a little bit less, but it's ok...)

Worth to mention, a number of apparently practically working technologies were presented: the BEC Hot Tube (missed the demo, but this kind of accidents are something that happen), the surprising and well documented Egely device, the LEC, etc.

I look forward to watch the presentations I missed due to the time lag, when available...

The only negative thing in my opinion was the lack of publication of conference proceedings with full papers! Only abstracts will be available for the future generations (and for lenr-canr.org)... ^^

• Thanks to the generosity of Carl Page we had a farewell dinner in Palo Alto tonight. We all had a good time for sure. I shared a table with Ruby Carat, Huw Price, Dave Nagel, Bill Collis and plenty more. A good time was had by all.

Next ICCF-25 will be September 2023 in Stettin Poland.

• As several theorie ways, i followed also your suggestions with plasmons by studying papers from Tanabe San for example.

However i have to say, plasmons are only collective movement of electrons.

Often you link plasmons and plasma BUT a plasma remains a collective movement of electrons both with nuclei.

In this way, only phonons do that especially with their electrons shift at high temperature acting as a pseudo plasma if fact;

There is nothing political about it. If the research that is done is based on the incorrect set of assumptions, the research will not be successful.

For example, it the SAFIRE system, there is no lattice compression to produce fusion, yet the SAFIRE plasma produces abundant transmutation. It is clear that the assumptions about the reaction based on lattice aided fusion are wrong. Google's assumptions they were told about the reaction were invalid, that is why they failed.

The reaction is highly deceptive, what experimenters see in their research is the oposit of what they are expecting because of the nature of quantum mechanics. Like Richard Feynman once said, "nobody understands quantum mechanics".

• As several theorie ways, i followed also your suggestions with plasmons by studying papers from Tanabe San for example.

However i have to say, plasmons are only collective movement of electrons.

Often you link plasmons and plasma BUT a plasma remains a collective movement of electrons both with nuclei.

In this way, only phonons do that especially with their electrons shift at high temperature acting as a pseudo plasma if fact;

You are using the incorrect name of the quasiparticle. Its proper name is "polariton". Every year through new discovery in the types of polaritons increase, their number of types are now over 70. In the year 2020, a new type of polariton was discovered called the Anderson Higgs-polariton (also known as the Cavity Higgs Polariton) that are active is certain kinds of a condensed matter systems. This newly discovered polariton can form bubbles of false vacuum. This false vacuum is a fearsome force that can rebuild matter instantly without the release of energy or particles. The changes in matter that are now seen in the reaction is being produced by this newly discovered method of instant matter reformulation.

I fear that this new matter formation mechanism call vacuum decay will confuse and dumbfound those who see and study it. But this process is far more powerful and majestic than the common place nuclear energy based mechanisms that are now commonly believed to be at play.

• Frank Gordon, you and Biberian did a great job presenting your LEC findings. I thought Alan S was going to do one also, but apparently not. Now since the event is over, are you still going to work as a team, or do Frank/Harper go it alone from here?

• The only negative thing in my opinion was the lack of publication of conference proceedings with full papers! Only abstracts will be available for the future generations (and for lenr-canr.org)...

I believe there will be a Conference Proceedings in a future JCMNS issue. Distant future, because it takes them so long to prepare a JCMNS issue. They haven't even finished the one from the last conference.

Someone said the presenters do not have to submit a paper if they don't want to. That seems irregular to me. That's not how conferences are supposed to work, but anyway, I expect most people will submit papers.

• Frank Gordon, you and Biberian did a great job presenting your LEC findings.

Yes, that was excellent. The most exciting part for me was at the end when Frank speculated about how to increase the power. Before the conference he told me they have to increase the output by 9 orders of magnitude to reach 1 kW. That seems like a distant prospect, but they think they can increase it by various methods, each 1, 2 or more orders of magnitude, and they add up to quite a lot. Most of these methods are prosaic and based on what we know about cold fusion, they should work. For example, increasing surface area, or raising the temperature. Ten times more surface area should, in principle, increase output by 1 order (obviously). I don't know about temperature.

Ed Storms said they are going to try some his material. That might work very well, adding a few orders of magnitude. Let's hope so.

They referred to 1 kW as a "useful level of power." Actually, even a fraction of a watt is useful, because this is electricity. It would be ideal for powering things like a wristwatch, earphones or a pacemaker, which take 10 to 50 microwatts. I described this around minute 25 here. The thing is, the most expensive electricity you can buy is from an earphone battery.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• NASA and other govt agencies involved and publicly reporting positive results.

The "old guard" was quite open and collaborative and there was also some very skilled young guy presenting. Yes, also in my opinion it was a turning point (maybe not 90 or 180 degree, a little bit less, but it's ok...

Yes Theresa Benyo's (NASA) presentations lends insight. Ten years exploring various reaction paths which seem to account for these positive results. A fascinating study well presented. Positive results that can be further developed.

Another mainstream science milestone has been met.

We learned that a Doctoral Degree has been granted on the merits of a LENR doctoral thesis at Urbana Champaign University.

Also

As I understand it a LENR doctoral thesis is being submitted at MIT.

The George Miley LENR scholarship program, NPRE at Urbana Champaign University, is certainly something to document more fully, i.e. past recipients, current scholarships, doctoral thesis, research efforts, papers published, careers pursued, etc.

The NPRE is an example, becoming a model for future scholarships at other universities.

RESOURCE

NPRE - George H. Miley LENR Undergraduate Scholarship
    npre.illinois.edu

MAKE A GIFT to support the

George H. Miley-LENR Scholarship.

The Grainger College of Engineering

Nuclear, Plasma & Radiological Engineering

Requirements and Description:

Professor George H. Miley established this scholarship in 2004. Throughout his career at Illinois, starting in 1961, Professor Miley gained recognition as a vigorous and prolific nuclear scientist, as well as an administrative leader. He pioneered research in nuclear pumped lasers, advanced fuel fusion, fission reactors and nuclear batteries, writing several books on the technologies and gaining worldwide honors along the way. He became the first director of Illinois' interdisciplinary fusion program, and also chaired the nuclear engineering department.

Recipients:

• 2018-19 - Andrew Kim, Michelle McCord, Andrew Page, Dario G. Panici
    • 2017-2018 - Dario G. Panici, Cody D. Moynihan
    • 2016-2017 - Jeremy J.H. Mettler
    • 2015-2016 - Steven A. Stemmley
    • 2014-2015 - Brandon T. Lee
    • 2013-2014 - Mikhail S. Finko, Jan P. Uhlig
    • 2012-2013 - Amanda M. Lietz, Matthew M. Szott
    • 2011-2012 - Leo E. Kirsch, Kathleen J. Weichman
    • 2010-2011 - Peter R. Fiflis, Leigh A. Kesler
    • 2009-2010 - Peter R. Fiflis
    • 2008-2009 - David A. Burns
    • 2007-2008 - David A. Burns, Jose E. Rivera
    • 2006-2007 - Jeffery N. Cardoni, Ian M. Percel
    • 2005-2006 - Ian M. Percel
    • 2004-2005 - Luke M. Gotszling
    • 2003-2004 - Wayne Lytle

Also from a LENR Forum thread

• Now since the event is over, are you still going to work as a team, or do Frank/Harper go it alone from here?

Of course we will keep in touch, but we will work independently. I will continue to investigate on the LEC phenomenon and I will try to involve other people if possible. I'm very interested in understanding the origin of the gas ionization, more than scaling up the output. If something will be discovered, this will for sure help Frank and Harper, but may also have collateral implications and applications.

That seems like a distant prospect, but they think they can increase it by various methods, each 1, 2 or more orders of magnitude, and they add up to quite a lot.

I think Frank's assumptions are absolutely reasonable: there are many ways to scale up the output even without having understood the inner mechanism. Once you have a better understanding of the phenomenon, you can do even better!

Ed Storms said they are going to try some his material. That might work very well, adding a few orders of magnitude. Let's hope so.

That would be great. I liked the presentation of Dr. Storm about how to increase NAE/NAS density. And his "doped" Pd may work great in this context too.

• And Fabrice David ?

We didn't see or hear him at this ICCF, maybe he made a poster?

Indeed Fabrice did have a poster, and we had a long conversation about his work on the Fusion Diode. Fabrice is a brilliant and creative scientist IMHO.

ETA- Ruby very kindly dropped me of at SFI before starting her long drive home. We called by Fran Tanzella's lab on the way for her to record an interview with him. She is collecting oral histories from the people who were there at the beginning of the LENR story. Fran spoke very well, and when the documentary is eventually released it will make a lot of things much clearer.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.