ARPA-E looking for "Teaming Partners" UPDATE

• Well understood your point of view however they relatively quickly shared this yesterday survey ?

we are not immune to a good surprise 8)

My gut impression watching the presentation at the time, was that it was tentative, with so much to work out that I thought it would take at least a year to finalize...if ever I caught some flak for saying that, so since have decided to keep quiet about it.

• JedRothwell - The LENR X-Prize is currently only a proposal by Peter Diamandis.

Oh. But he is the Founder and Executive Chairman of the Board at X-Prize, so I suppose he has influence there.

XPRIZE Foundation Bio - Peter H. Diamandis M.D.
    <h2>Recently named by Fortune as one of the “World’s 50 Greatest Leaders,” Peter H. Diamandis is the founder and executive chairman of the
    www.xprize.org

• Tip from ECW :

U.S. Department of Energy Announces Up to $10 Million to Study Low-Energy Nuclear Reactions

ARPA-E Will Apply Scientific and Rigorous Approach to New Exploratory Topic Focused on Specific Type of Nuclear Energy
    09/13/2022

https://arpa-e.energy.gov/news…-study-low-energy-nuclear

The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) today announced up to $10 million in funding to establish clear practices to determine whether low-energy nuclear reactions (LENR) could be the basis for a potentially transformative carbon-free energy source. The funding is part of the Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) LENR Exploratory Topic, which aims to break the stalemate of research in this space.

“ARPA-E is all about risk and exploring where others cannot go, which is why we’ve set out with this LENR Exploratory Topic to conclusively answer the question ‘should this field move forward, or does it not show promise?’” said ARPA-E Acting Director and Deputy Director for Technology Dr. Jenny Gerbi. “We look forward to seeing the intrepid teams that come forward to approach this field of study with new perspectives and state-of-the-art scientific and technical capabilities.”

LENR Exploratory Topic awardees will pursue hypotheses-driven approaches toward producing publishable evidence of LENR in top-tier scientific journals by testing/confirming specific hypotheses (rather than focusing only on replication), identifying and verifying control of experimental variables and triggers, supporting more comprehensive diagnostics and analysis, and improving access to broader expertise and capabilities on research teams.

You can access more information on ARPA-E eXCHANGE.

Edit2: I thought you have to be logged in to see that -- but it was just slow to load

• Well, we have been all over this, I downloaded all the documentations, you have to log in, and there's a new login system (the old one expires next September 30th) and I chose the mode with a SMS message and a code each time I want to login.

The deadline is pretty tight, I think several teams may have got a head start whe they took part of the past October Arpa-e workshop. Preparing a proposal like this in 2 months is a full time job.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Speaking of surveys, I have been discussing with Anthropocene the idea of LENR Forum hosting a wider survey for people who have watched at least some of the ICCF-24 videos. This is under discussion.

Frank Ling from Anthropocene has sent me an ICCF-24 feedback survey especially for forum members, I'll post it as soon as I get a chance.

• ARPA-E: Funding Opportunity Exchange

Some of the most recent Q&A's put out yesterday:

Q2. ON P. 64 THE FOA STATES A MAX. VOLTAGE OF 500 V "ANYWHERE IN THE EXPERIMENT" (TABLE 1. SUMMARY OF CRITERIA/METRICS FOR CATEGORY A: LENR EXPERIMENTS. MAXIMUM INPUT ENERGY OR VOLTAGE ≤ 500 EV PER DIRECTLY ENERGIZED PARTICLE, OR ≤ 500 V APPLIED VOLTAGE ANYWHERE IN THE EXPERIMENT.) WE ARE CONSIDERING THE USE OF ELECTRON MULTIPLIER TYPE DETECTORS IN OUR PROPOSED EXPERIMENTS. SOME MODELS OF THESE STANDARD DETECTORS REQUIRE BIASES LARGER THAN 500 V. WOULD THESE BE OK TO USE OR EXCLUDED FOR LENR EXPERIMENTS THAT CAN BE CONSIDERED HERE ?

ANSWER: The intent is to set a limit on the experimental input energy, not to limit detection capabilities. “Anywhere in the experiment” should be construed as any portion of the experimental setup that functionally contributes to the generation of the proposed LENR effect.

Q3. I HAVE A QUESTION ON THE RECENT ANNOUNCEMENT (UPDATED 9/12/22) OF DE-FOA0002784: EXPLORATORY TOPICS. ALTHOUGH THE SUMMARY NOTES THAT THE ANNOUNCEMENT IS “PURPOSELY BROAD IN SCOPE, AND WILL COVER A WIDE RANGE OF TOPICS TO ENCOURAGE THE SUBMISSION OF THE MOST INNOVATIVE AND UNCONVENTIONAL IDEAS IN ENERGY TECHNOLOGY,” IT GOES ON TO NOTE THAT THE TARGETED TOPIC IS “LOW-ENERGY NUCLEAR REACTIONS.” SO DOES THIS MEAN THAT A SMALL BUSINESS MANUFACTURER THAT HAS AN ENERGY EFFICIENCY RELATED INNOVATION, BUT IT DOES NOT HAVE A NUCLEAR NEXUS, SHOULD NOT APPLY FOR THIS PARTICULAR FOA?

ANSWER: Small Business are strongly encouraged to apply under the SBIR/STTR version (DE-FOA0002785), but as long as the eligibility criteria are met under III.A of this FOA, a Small Business can apply. 2

Q4. TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN,

1. THE “PRE-AWARD-GUIDANCE/FUNDING-AGREEMENTS” FAQ STATES GOGO’S CAN BE PRIME RECIPIENTS FUNDED THROUGH AN IAA. HOWEVER, DE-FOA-0002784 RESTRICTS GOGO’S FROM BEING PRIME [P. 64]. IS THIS THE GOVERNING STATEMENT AND PRECLUDES GOGO PRIMES FOR THIS FOA?

2. DOES A PREVIOUS OR CURRENT IAA BETWEEN TWO AGENCIES CONSTITUTE A CONFLICT OF INTEREST FOR RESPECTIVE CATEGORY A AND B PROPOSALS?

3. DOES A PREVIOUS OR CURRENT CRADA RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN AN AGENCY AND A NON-GOVERNMENT PARTNER CONSTITUTE A CONFLICT OF INTEREST?

4. HAS THE CONCEPT PAPER REQUIREMENT BEEN WAIVED FOR THIS FOA? IT IS NOT MENTIONED IN THE FOA.

ANSWER: 1. See Sections II.C.3 and III.A.2. Non-DOE GOGOs are only eligible to apply for funding as a member of a Project Team, but not as a Standalone Applicant or as the lead organization for a Project Team. 2. ARPA-E will not preasses applications. One of the required components of the application is a
    BUSINESS ASSURANCES & DISCLOSURES FORM which require COI disclosures.

3. See above answer.

4. There is no Concept Paper required for this Topic.

Q5. FOR THIS FOA, OUR TECHNOLOGY USES ENERGY RELEASED FROM NUCLEAR DECAY TO CAUSE A CHEMICAL REACTION TO LATER STORE FOR ELECTRIC ENERGY GENERATION. WE BELIEVE THAT OUR TECHNOLOGY WOULD FIT WELL WITHIN THE SCOPE OF THIS EXPLORATORY TOPIC, BUT WANTED TO HAVE A CLARIFICATION. OUR CONCERN IS THAT OUR TECHNOLOGY USES RADIOISOTOPE’S NATURAL DECAY ENERGY ABOVE THE 500 EV BUT NOT DIRECTLY ENERGIZED FROM ANY EXTERNAL SOURCES. WILL THIS FALL UNDER THE EXPECTED SCOPE OF THIS FOA?

ANSWER: Please refer to the ARPA-E website http://ARPA-E.energy.gov FAQ page General Question 2.7. ARPA-E will not pre-assess an applicant’s proposed technology. Applicants must review the technical requirements of the FOA and independently determine whether their proposed concept warrants a submission.

Q6. CAN YOU TELL US WHETHER A “WORKING CAPITAL FUND” DOD LABORATORY (E.G. US NAVAL RESEARCH LABORATORY) CAN BE THE “LEAD ORGANIZATION” OR “MEMBER” OF A PROJECT TEAM FOR THIS FOA?

ANSWER: See Section II.C.3. and III.A.2. of the FOA and the answer to Q4.1 above. 3

Q7. SOME VERY STRONG REPORTS ON THE PRODUCTION AND MEASUREMENTS OF LENR HAVE COME FROM FOREIGN LABORATORIES. WE (AT [REDACTED]) ARE CONSIDERING TEAMING WITH FOREIGN RESEARCHERS TO WRITE PROPOSALS TO THE EXPECTED LENR PROGRAM. THE EXPERIMENTS WOULD BE DONE PRIMARILY IN THE [REDACTED] LABORATORY IN WASHINGTON DC. IS IT POSSIBLE TO FUND FOREIGN RESEARCHERS FROM ARPA-E PROGRAM FUNDS FOR ANY OF THESE: (A) SALARY, (B) MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT OR (C) TRAVEL?

ANSWER: A. Yes, if all of the work is performed in the United States.
    B. See Section IV.F.7. of the FOA.
    C. See Section IV.F.5 of the FOA.

Q8. A SMALL BUSINESS THAT DOESN’T MEET THE LOWER COST SHARE REQUIREMENTS HAS A 20% COST SHARE RESPONSIBILITY. DOES THIS REDUCE THE ARPA-E PROJECT GRANT BY THE COST SHARE, OR IS THE 20% COST SHARE COMPUTED FROM THE ARPA-E GRANT PLUS THE COST SHARE?

ANSWER: Please refer to General Questions: section 4. Cost Sharing - Question 4.4.

• Teaming Partners (energy.gov)

Very interesting. This is the latest list of those applying. Has some of the old names, but plenty of new. Read their "Backgrounds, interests, and capabilities" column. Some I never heard of have been doing LENR research for years, and having success. Others advertise their expertise and how it could help advance the science if someone wants to team with them.

It also looks as if most of the old Team Google (of Nature paper fame) are still in action. They are on there also. And another new Google group "Google Quantum A.I" has some good things to say about LENR, and want to partner up.

I see foreign, non-U.S. names, and institutes on the list too. Some GOGO (Government owned, government operated) which I find kind of interesting. Others such as Forsley at NASA applying for his old company GEC.

Even without any new additions, this is a high powered line up.

• ARPA-E need to up their game. Was talking today to an expat researcher in the far east who has been given $2M by the local government 'no strings attached' to research cold fusion. He has a well equipped laboratory, but no staff, but the government know that, they just want results.

• There are still bettors apparently who still dare to bet and lucky researchers... However, it shouldn't be difficult to find staff to him ?

ARPA-E need to up their game. Was talking today to an expat researcher in the far east who has been given $2M by the local government 'no strings attached' to research cold fusion. He has a well equipped laboratory, but no staff, but the government know that, they just want results.

• The problem my contact has is due to the pandemic which has disrupted the local university who have suspended their part-time doctoral programme - which is where he got his skilled employees from. Since their programme has closed they are obliged by law to go to their home region, and that is mostly far away. The region he lives in is mostly farming, fishing and mining - so local skilled technicians are almost non-existent.

• ok, probably the China's case...

The problem my contact has is due to the pandemic which has disrupted the local university who have suspended their part-time doctoral programme - which is where he got his skilled employees from. Since their programme has closed they are obliged by law to go to their home region, and that is mostly far away. The region he lives in is mostly farming, fishing and mining - so local skilled technicians are almost non-existent.

• ARPA-E need to up their game. Was talking today to an expat researcher in the far east who has been given $2M by the local government 'no strings attached' to research cold fusion.

Could be quite risky for him personally, if really successful. IMO this 'far east' country has a strategic interest to keep a potential success story under the carpet.

• Looks like Alan has thrown his hat in the ring:

Scientific Ltd (UK)Alan SmithSmall BusinessOther Energy TechnologiesNZS Ltd is a small privately funded research and technology laboratory. We have assisted LENR researchers and carried our replications of LENR experiments for almost a decade. Specific skills include electrolysis, gas loading methods, green inorganic chemistry, liquid and gas spectroscopy, high definition optical microscopy, materials science, process engineering and green optimisation. We may not always know why, but generally we know how!
  • To make new energy and save the world is the most important thing, the rest will wait!!!

Нефть - это кровь планеты, надо сделать модель планеты и мы получим генератор Тарасенко, эта энергия покорит вселенную! :lenr:

• I understood that entities outside the US will still have to work on it if they should be selected ?

Anyway it was the message of Jacques Ruer :rolleyes:

Looks like Alan has thrown his hat in the ring:

Scientific Ltd (UK)Alan SmithSmall BusinessOther Energy TechnologiesNZS Ltd is a small privately funded research and technology laboratory. We have assisted LENR researchers and carried our replications of LENR experiments for almost a decade. Specific skills include electrolysis, gas loading methods, green inorganic chemistry, liquid and gas spectroscopy, high definition optical microscopy, materials science, process engineering and green optimisation. We may not always know why, but generally we know how!

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.